Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

mind the walrus posted:

I've met people who eat those things like apples.

That's my jam :v: Hell my go to after work it's-too-late-for-a-meal-but-I-need-a-snack snack is a hot house tomato and a cortland apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Danaru posted:

I jokingly got super defensive about loving broccoli in my friend group, and it turned out literally all of us love broccoli. It's good poo poo.

I'm still alone in my love for raw tomatoes though

not anymore you aren’t; a good homegrown tomato is a flavor experience worthy of enjoyment as a stand-alone snack (I find they’re great with just the faintest dusting of salt on top, personally)

broccoli also rules, as does cauliflower. cauliflower tots are fuckin delicious ime

e: vvv they know what’s up with a fine and tasty garden tomato

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sliced tomato, coat in black pepper and tiny bit of sea salt

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Peas should either be eaten as soup or raw. No half measures.

If you ever get the chance try a dry farmed tomato. The experience is out of this world.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I love eating little homegrown tomatoes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh gently caress yeah

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my mom was on facebook for awhile and made a single snide comment in person about how i hadn't friended her (on my account i no longer use). a year later, she stopped using it because putting up with dumb republican memes from family wasn't worth occasionally seeing photos of her coworker's baby.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Smarter than the average mom

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

my mom was on facebook for awhile and made a single snide comment in person about how i hadn't friended her (on my account i no longer use). a year later, she stopped using it because putting up with dumb republican memes from family wasn't worth occasionally seeing photos of her coworker's baby.
my stepfather wastes an extreme amount of his free time on Facebook arguing with dumb Republican memes, and he sometimes shares his epic owns, and while it's kind-of cute in a dumb old dog way it's hard to condone and I wonder why he really bothers still

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Milo and POTUS posted:

This and also add drizzle of rice wine vinegar.

drat I miss when I was a kid and we had a garden

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In vegetable chat, I remember my boomer parents occasionally making us eat brussel sprouts and I hated them, and thought of them as weird old-people food that tasted like burnt erasers. Then several years ago I had them again and they were actually really good, and I wondered if it was an age thing or if they had changed. I looked it up, and apparently they deliberately bred the burnt eraser taste out of them over the last few decades.

I wonder if there are boomers out there who angrily reject "new" brussel sprouts and long for the days when they tasted like despair?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wonder if there are boomers out there who angrily reject "new" brussel sprouts and long for the days when they tasted like despair?

1. The way they cook them, they wouldn't notice.

2. Their taste buds are dead due to age or abuse.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

yeah, that's a weird one that's way too common. like, who doesn't like vegetables? what's not to like? I don't like all of them but you're just not going to eat this good thing because of... ideas about masculinity?

to them, vegetables = boiled mush covered with butter so they taste like something other than water

sadly, this isn't confined to boomers as kids currently growing up with crappy institutional food and/or parents who are crappy cooks are being taught the same thing too. see also: salads consisting of iceberg lettuce covered with ranch dressing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Franz posted:

to them, vegetables = boiled mush covered with butter so they taste like something other than water

sadly, this isn't confined to boomers as kids currently growing up with crappy institutional food and/or parents who are crappy cooks are being taught the same thing too. see also: salads consisting of iceberg lettuce covered with ranch dressing

This is me. My parents never really cooked, it was the motions of cooking, with the occasional run at grilling. I actually hated steak nights growing up because my dad cooks them until they're shoe leather.

I still don't do salads though. I like most of the non dressing portions of them in smaller doses as part of other foods though. I really just don't like raw or processed vegetables, but I like them pretty well enough when I cook them myself :shrug:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Iron Crowned posted:

This is me. My parents never really cooked, it was the motions of cooking, with the occasional run at grilling. I actually hated steak nights growing up because my dad cooks them until they're shoe leather.

I still don't do salads though. I like most of the non dressing portions of them in smaller doses as part of other foods though. I really just don't like raw or processed vegetables, but I like them pretty well enough when I cook them myself :shrug:

Same here. I'll make a salad once in a while, but I make sure to make it mostly tomato and cucumber.

I took night school French courses a number of years ago. For a presentation assignment, one of the other people was a middle-aged Greek woman who showed us a "proper" Greek salad. It was nothing but tomato and cucumber, chunks of feta (none of that crumbly bagged poo poo), olive oil, salt, and oregano. She said you could add vinegar and lettuce and whatever, but you don't have to.

Best way to make a salad imo. I never like it when you add too much: some base vegetables, a drizzle of oil, and some herbs and salt for flavour. I know people (my own age, too) who won't touch salad unless it's got a shitload of cheese and bacon bits, and covered in creamy dressing.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In vegetable chat, I remember my boomer parents occasionally making us eat brussel sprouts and I hated them, and thought of them as weird old-people food that tasted like burnt erasers. Then several years ago I had them again and they were actually really good, and I wondered if it was an age thing or if they had changed. I looked it up, and apparently they deliberately bred the burnt eraser taste out of them over the last few decades.

I've never read about changing the actual taste of the plant itself, but I do know that it's taken a while for people to realize that boiled brussels sprouts are awful, and that the best method of cooking is to roast or pan-fry them. Ever since I learned that, it turns out I like them, too.

It's part of the reason why I'm trying to get in better shape now. Half of my family over the age of 50 is forbidden from even looking at a pinch of salt, and it's just not a life I want to live if I can't properly cook something with salt and oil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's come up before but immigration, WW2 rationing and canning basically destroyed most culinary traditions among white Americans, and reduced everything into boiled mush. It's probably where the whole boomer stereotype of housewives being horrible cooks and food being unidentifiable mush or simple meals done horribly wrong comes from, and at best it's bland and uninspired. (Marge Simpson as basically the stereotypical boomer housewife exaggerated comes to mind. And contrast with Chi-Chi in Dragon Ball, who is the Asian equivalent of a stereotypical housewife but noted to be an excellent cook, and not just by her family who will shovel down absurd amounts of everything)

Silly examples I know, but the point is I'm pretty sure it's specifically a white American thing. (Well, anglo)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 28, 2020

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Elderbean posted:

Boomers love terrible police procedurals with nonsense CSI babble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNLB7bFA_U4

My favorite turnaround on this is an episode of Brooklyn 99 where there's someone in Holt's office trying to "stop a hacker", giving the usual technobabble nonesense. (I think one was like "he's using an ARP to resolve the Hostname with the DNS server", which are certainly words). In the end, it turns out that the hacker is just some schmuck trying to get off on a trivial crime by tricking Holt into wiping a server; he had no idea what he was saying either. I thought that was a fun twist on the usual bullshit.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Neito posted:

My favorite turnaround on this is an episode of Brooklyn 99 where there's someone in Holt's office trying to "stop a hacker", giving the usual technobabble nonesense. (I think one was like "he's using an ARP to resolve the Hostname with the DNS server", which are certainly words). In the end, it turns out that the hacker is just some schmuck trying to get off on a trivial crime by tricking Holt into wiping a server; he had no idea what he was saying either. I thought that was a fun twist on the usual bullshit.

Yeah, Brooklyn Nine-Nine seems to be self-aware and is surprisingly smart given the other cop shows on TV.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's come up before but immigration, WW2 rationing and canning basically destroyed most culinary traditions among white Americans, and reduced everything into boiled mush. It's probably where the whole boomer stereotype of housewives being horrible cooks and food being unidentifiable mush or simple meals done horribly wrong comes from, and at best it's bland and uninspired. (Marge Simpson as basically the stereotypical boomer housewife exaggerated comes to mind. And contrast with Chi-Chi in Dragon Ball, who is the Asian equivalent of a stereotypical housewife but noted to be an excellent cook, and not just by her family who will shovel down absurd amounts of everything)

Silly examples I know, but the point is I'm pretty sure it's specifically a white American thing. (Well, anglo)

Yeah, like I said, my mom grew up in Poland, and on a farm in Communist times, there wasn't exactly an abundance of food, so they learned to make do with what they had. As a result, most of the women in my family (like the men in my family would even touch anything more than a microwave -- or at least a gas grill) know how to cook what they were already familiar with. Cabbage rolls, pierogi, schnitzel? Oh absolutely. But they have a lot of blind spots in their cooking because they don't care to leave their comfort zones and learn how other things are supposed to be cooked and taste (like my mom's hamburgers that include mostly ground pork and cooked minced vegetables as some kind of soggy filler).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You had the Depression when no one had anything, followed by rationing when no one had anything good, and then the processed food revolution when salt, sugar, and fat became spices. White people went decades without a good meal (also, see: British).

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh yeah, with mayo too.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, Brooklyn Nine-Nine seems to be self-aware and is surprisingly smart given the other cop shows on TV.

There's at least one episode where Jake has to confront the idea that maybe the cops are the bad guys, Terry has a focus episode about racist cops, the back half of the sixth season is about police overreach in civil liberties....

It's a drat smart show for something that by rights should just be bootlicking bullshit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marge Simpson seasons the hell out of her pork chops. I'm not claiming she's some amazing cook, but she's at least competent. And Homer doesn't strike me as a picky eater. She was also creative enough to come up with the tasty fakes, it's a shame she didn't have more confidence in it and had to go sabotage the other competitors food with baby ear medicine.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Panfilo posted:

Marge Simpson seasons the hell out of her pork chops. I'm not claiming she's some amazing cook, but she's at least competent. And Homer doesn't strike me as a picky eater. She was also creative enough to come up with the tasty fakes, it's a shame she didn't have more confidence in it and had to go sabotage the other competitors food with baby ear medicine.

I always laugh at the pork chop thing because there's a later episode where Marge doesn't know what oregano is

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Panfilo posted:

"You might say the secret ingredient is salt."

He also acclimatized surprisingly fast to eating sushi in the early '90s. It was being different that put him off, not the actual nature of the food. Some of the best moments in the show were when Lisa felt proud of her father and thought she was getting through to him.

Neito posted:

There's at least one episode where Jake has to confront the idea that maybe the cops are the bad guys, Terry has a focus episode about racist cops, the back half of the sixth season is about police overreach in civil liberties....

It's a drat smart show for something that by rights should just be bootlicking bullshit.

Always is amazing to me how the comedies are way better at addressing the real world than dramas are. I guess it's because comedy requires self-awareness (and boomers lack that, which is why their humour is awful).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
People get defensive when media comes off as preachy to them, humor can break down those barriers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Iron Crowned posted:

That baggie test they use is inadmissible in court for a reason.

Trust me, I know. I ended up getting off for a felony because the official lab toxicology didn't get a good enough sample. Luck from heaven right there.

Boomer plot to put me in prison: foiled

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

COPS is cool because it shows you how stupid criminals are

99% of these people with meth in their cars wouldn't have been caught if they had just worn their seat belt or stopped at a stop sign or not get pulled for some minor traffic violation

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Elderbean posted:

Boomers love terrible police procedurals with nonsense CSI babble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNLB7bFA_U4

I had to reaaallly bite my tongue when I was having dinner with my family and mentioned something about Breaking Bad, and my dad, a boomer, said how he doesn't care for that "overhyped crap" and how NCIS is a smart, quality show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

you broke my grill posted:

99% of these people with meth in their cars wouldn't have been caught if they had just worn their seat belt or stopped at a stop sign or not get pulled for some minor traffic violation

I used to work at an auto parts store as a driver. One of the sales guys was constantly high on weed and I don't think he could function without it. So one day he does his usual wake and bake and gets pulled over. He's being as nice to the cop as possible and is asked to step out. "Why sir?", he asks. The cop points down and there's his stash, open zip lock bag and papers, right between his legs.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

You had the Depression when no one had anything, followed by rationing when no one had anything good, and then the processed food revolution when salt, sugar, and fat became spices. White people went decades without a good meal (also, see: British).

Bill Bryson (whose more recent output is really close to Peak Boomer, consisting as it does of a man in his late-60s wandering around places he wrote about in the 1990s complaining about how a) they were better in the 90s and b) were even better in the 70s) described church social dinners in small-town Iowa in the late 50s as:

quote:

...no human being within 50 yards failed to have a heaped paper plate of hearty but deeply odd food - and dinners in the 1950s, let me say, were odd indeed. The main courses at these potlucks nearly always consisted of a range of meatloafs, each about the size of a V8 engine, all them glazed and studded with a breathtaking array of improbable ingredients from which they drew their names - Peanut Brittle 'n' Cheez Whiz Upside Down Spam Loaf and that sort of thing. Nearly all of them had at least one 'n' and an 'upside-down' in their names somewhere. There would be perhaps twenty of these. The driving notion seemed to be that no dish could be too sweet or too strange and that all foods automatically became superior when inverted.

"Hey, Dwane, come over here and try some of this Spiced Liver 'n' Candy Corn Upside Down Casserole," one of the Mabels would say. "Mabel made it. It's delicious."

"Upside down?" Dwayne would remark with a dry look that indicated a quip was coming. "What happened - she drop it?"

"Well, I dunno. Maybe she did...Do you want chocolate gravy with that or biscuit gravy or peanut butter 'n' niblets gravy?"

"Hey, how about a little of all three?"

"You got it!"

The main dishes were complemented by a table of brightly-coloured Jell-Os (the Iowa state fruit), each containing further imaginative components - marshmallows, Rice Krispies, Fritos corn chips, whatever would maintain its integrity in suspension - and you had to take some of each of these, too...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mojo1701a posted:

I've never read about changing the actual taste of the plant itself
NPR did a thing on it back in October, apparently.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

Bill Bryson (whose more recent output is really close to Peak Boomer, consisting as it does of a man in his late-60s wandering around places he wrote about in the 1990s complaining about how a) they were better in the 90s and b) were even better in the 70s) described church social dinners in small-town Iowa in the late 50s as:

Not for nothing, but has his writing ever not been that? A walk in the woods, at home, mother tongue, that book about England and Australia were all that. Aside from his brief history of nearly everything book, which was just “a boomer asks scientists to make him smarter”, which might be the most anti boomer thought ever, lol.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The_Franz posted:

I grew up eating the same five or six meals on rotation most of my childhood, it boils down to most of them being a meat course, microwaved vegetables (almost always corn) and some form of starch (bread, mashed potatoes, ramen boiled plain). Fresh vegetables only hit the table in summer when corn on the cob was basically free, which was cooked by putting the corn on a plate with some water at the bottom and covering it with plastic wrap and microwaving it. I grew up thinking I didn't like most vegetables just because I wasn't exposed to them. Like, I didn't eat cauliflower on its own until I was a junior in college because I thought it was disgusting despite never having tasted it before.

I think my wife would have refused to marry me if I insisted on cooking like my parents. When we first moved in together and she would catch me doing something my mom would do (like not washing a vegetable before cutting it) she would ask me what I thought my mom would do and I knew I had to do the opposite immediately.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

you broke my grill posted:

Which goes to show that it's super important to only break one law at a time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That is the best way to cook corn on the cob

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Which goes to show that it's super important to only break one law at a time.

Most people will break the law by not being white.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

That is the best way to cook corn on the cob

By breaking one law at a time?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BalloonFish posted:

That's 'Thunderbolt Kid' right? That's a memoir and gets a pass for looking at things a bit rose colored. His recounting from his time in Britain in the 70's is similar. He lucked into a lot of jobs and had a pretty exciting professional life and seems to think that's normal.

He's had 2 books since then. 'Home' and 'The Body', both of which are quasi-history books similar to his 'Short History of Nearly Everything' and are much better.

Also his 'In a Sunburned Country' is a classic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

Not for nothing, but has his writing ever not been that? A walk in the woods, at home, mother tongue, that book about England and Australia were all that. Aside from his brief history of nearly everything book, which was just “a boomer asks scientists to make him smarter”, which might be the most anti boomer thought ever, lol.

My ire is mostly drawn (as someone who genuinely likes most of his work) by his recent follow-up to Notes From A Small Island (the name of which I can't even remember), which was mostly a couple of hundred pages of grumping about how Britain isn't like it was in the 70s, to the detriment of everything, and how the entire country isn't apparently like the UK Pavilion at EPCOT. Notes had plenty of complaining and bits of nostalgia to his early years in the country, but there was a genuine fondness at work as well, and the entire book was really just a witty encapsulation of the British character and way of life. The sequel just seems to be 'old man complains at things that are new'. Maybe he genuinely thinks the UK sucks now, but it's not as fun to read.

Walk In The Woods was just a straightforward (and very funny) travelogue and personal adventure with an environmental theme. The Lost Continent was Bryson taking a look - good and bad - at a country he hadn't been in for nearly 20 years following the death of his father and searching for his nostalgic vision of the perfect American small town. Neither Here Nor There is the story of an American grappling with the quirks and sights of Europe in two decades, again without much misty-eyed complaining or harking-back. Down Under/A Sunburnt Country is him similarly experiencing an entire new-to-him continent for the first time, so there can be no nostalgia or comparison, and it's the better book for it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's 'Thunderbolt Kid' right? That's a memoir and gets a pass for looking at things a bit rose colored. His recounting from his time in Britain in the 70's is similar. He lucked into a lot of jobs and had a pretty exciting professional life and seems to think that's normal.

He's had 2 books since then. 'Home' and 'The Body', both of which are quasi-history books similar to his 'Short History of Nearly Everything' and are much better.

Also his 'In a Sunburned Country' is a classic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

It is, and you're right - I just remembered the quote as a good (if rather comically exagerrated) example of the sort of food that Boomers grew up on as their parents revelled in a glut of cheap and limitless sugar and gelatine.

I absorbed both At Home and The Body virtually in a single sitting - they're really good.

You're right about the Australia book, too.

I think that's enough Brysonchat, although you can certainly add him to the list of Things Boomers Like. The only reason I've read all his books is that my Boomer parents read all of them and had at least one copy of each in the house. When they split up they quickly acquired duplicate full Bryson libraries...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some of his books run together in my mind, but if the British one was where he talked about arriving on a ferry and sleeping outdoors because he couldn't figure out British hotels then yeah, the updated version had a surprisingly bitter streak. He's worldly enough to probably not have voted for Brexit, but I bet he looked real hard at the Yes on that ballot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krispy Wafer posted:

arriving on a ferry and sleeping outdoors because he couldn't figure out British hotels

what