Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/moose_malloy/status/1221431287350734848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Not the DC Batman, the other sort of batman. It's kinda chunky and plain-looking for something that costs as much as a car.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Private Speech posted:

What's Irish food like?

I genuinely have no idea, having been to Ireland (NI) or not.

Imagine a more bland version of British food and you're there. Surprisingly poo poo potatoes.

I grew up there, eating awful floury spuds and boiled bacon. It is to food what Australia is to culture.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spuckuk posted:

Imagine a more bland version of British food and you're there. Surprisingly poo poo potatoes.

I grew up there, eating awful floury spuds and boiled bacon. It is to food what Australia is to culture.

Do they eat corned beef and cabbage there? That's good food. :yum:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I mean, I gotta admire that she's apparently claiming that the screenshotted Tweet is fake with a quote suggesting that anyone who takes issue with it is a nazi. She may not actually have tweeted that, but it is very much a real JK Rowling tweet.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

it’s too bad people wont believe jk rowling didn’t tweet out a terrible opinion because of her history of tweeting out her terrible opinions

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Spuckuk posted:

Imagine a more bland version of British food and you're there.

can’t. Mind hurts!

like thinking about a color bluer than blue.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

imagine having more money than god and getting into twitter slap fights

why?!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
No one eats British food, assholes, globalisation happened and we eat advacardos endlessly like the rest of you

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/MoggMentum/status/1221759601735086083

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

No one eats British food, assholes, globalisation happened and we eat advacardos endlessly like the rest of you

people eat british assholes

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Squizzle posted:

people eat british assholes

And it's indistinguishable from their regular cuisine.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

Corned beef is some weird Irish-American thing. It's available here obviously, but it's not especially popular. Loads of cabbage though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Animorphs is a far more entertaining kids series and is easily accessible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bryter posted:

Corned beef is some weird Irish-American thing. It's available here obviously, but it's not especially popular. Loads of cabbage though.

Pastrami gets way more attention than corned beef, but corned beef is 100% superior.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Bryter posted:

It's literally a result of a bunch of dirt poor Irish immigrants living next to a bunch of dirt poor Jewish immigrants in the Lower East Side. The Irish would buy it from Kosher butchers when they wanted to splurge on a bunch of meat for special holidays so it got associated with St Patrick's Day and Irish identity in the US, even though actual people in Ireland have no idea wtf the deal with corned beef is.

Edit: also because kosher butchers obviously didn't sell bacon.

mrmcd has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Jan 27, 2020

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Glad to see everybody getting into american spirit of meat arguments

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
What's more meat-ey?

Gammon, spam or chlorinated chicken?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mrmcd posted:

It's literally a result of a bunch of dirt poor Irish immigrants living next to a bunch of dirt poor Jewish immigrants in the Lower East Side. The Irish would buy it from Kosher butchers when they wanted to splurge on a bunch of meat for special holidays so it got associated with St Patrick's Day and Irish identity in the US, even though actual people in Ireland have no idea wtf the deal with corned beef is.

Edit: also because kosher butchers obviously didn't sell bacon.

As the us has more people of Irish descent than ireland it is now the determiner of what irish culture is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
if that’s the case then the US depiction of Irish people is just Conan O’Brian, the Lucky Charms leprechaun, and college students blacking out on St. Patty’s day

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget boondock saints

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Don't forget boondock saints
It’s not fair to hold Boston against the Irish

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this for real happening? Like, for real real? They're not going to call it off in 3 and a half days for some reason?

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this for real happening? Like, for real real? They're not going to call it off in 3 and a half days for some reason?

The actual trade agreements don't end for another year, so no. But yes. But no.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hang on lemme pull up the latest flowchart

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

so my pro-brexit friend who bought 3k worth of stock in sirius mine because it could only go UP UP UP! after brexit has been powerfully owned

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hemale in pain posted:

so my pro-brexit friend who bought 3k worth of stock in sirius mine because it could only go UP UP UP! after brexit has been powerfully owned

depends on when he bought

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samurai Sanders posted:

U guys did like 4 god damned votes

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Doomtalker posted:

The actual trade agreements don't end for another year, so no. But yes. But no.

when's free movement end?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Spuckuk posted:

Light and floury spuds are superior to dense soapy spuds. This is a distinction I don't expect anyone outside of Ireland to understand. Off-season spuds tend to become a bit less fluffy, but then you stick 'em in a stew with a load of garden veg, spices, and lamb to make a hearty Irish stew.

Also we're a damp little island where grass grows continuously for 10 months of the year and we produce 8x more grass-fed beef and lamb than we can consume. On top of that we're surrounded by some of the richest fishing waters in the world, and nowhere is more than an hour's drive from the coast, so you can pop in to almost any restaurant or gastro-pub and be guaranteed to have a seafood option on the menu that was caught the same day.

I've lived most of my 40 years in Ireland and I've never heard of anyone boiling bacon. This is literally the first time "boiled bacon" has entered my consciousness. Did you grow up in a weird Catholic institution that might someday lead to you writing a novel about the horrible abuse you endured?

prefect posted:

As an Irish corned beef has always been an English food in my mind. I used to holiday sometimes in England with relatives and corned beef was one of the things that was alien to me, but they used it in sandwiches and other things. I just assumed it was something English people really liked, but I thought it was weird and salty and gross.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Doc Hawkins posted:

when's free movement end?

Maybe end of the year, maybe never as we end up with a soft Brexit.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

BMX Ninja posted:

As an Irish corned beef has always been an English food in my mind. I used to holiday sometimes in England with relatives and corned beef was one of the things that was alien to me, but they used it in sandwiches and other things. I just assumed it was something English people really liked, but I thought it was weird and salty and gross.

English corned beef refers to an entirely different meat than American corned beef, iirc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

English corned beef refers to an entirely different meat than American corned beef, iirc.
English corned beef isn't beef?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Samurai Sanders posted:

English corned beef isn't beef?

American corned beef doesnt actually have corn in it, the corn growers make more selling it to Coca Cola to make soft drinks out of.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
as a born and raised American, honestly corn sucks and is so far removed from what it used to be that most people literally can’t even digest it anymore. corn destroyed our economy and made us a nation of diabetic morons and it’s honestly probably payback for all the stuff we did to the natives

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there is no corn in corned beef, the name refers to how they salt dry it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

which just goes to show how far it is from what corn used to be

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Squizzle posted:

which just goes to show how far it is from what corn used to be

dang ancient mesoamericans domesticated salt

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BBC News - Watchdog queries impact of £46m 'Get Ready for Brexit' campaign

Ahh, well, let's do some tutting at the new government. Right on time to have zero impact on anything to do with the election that was over a month ago.

And just to be clear how important it is, the total allowed maximum spend on the election per party, according to the election spending rules, is less than £20m. But I'm sure the extra £50m totally-nonpolitical "get ready for brexit" campaign had no impact.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970