Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bullfrog posted:

what's everyone's opinion on the scariest disease? ignoring the most common likely ones to kill you like cancer or heart disease. I vote for prion diseases, like if CWD was able to infect humans.

ragevirus. I am 100% certain that this exists somewhere deep in the amazon, congo, or the sumatran jungle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Bullfrog posted:

lets say like, diseases that might somehow become pandemics in a thriller film

honestly some type of bronchiectasis or tuberculosis that was totally resistant to antibiotics and induced death primarily via exsanguinating hemoptysis.

everyone drowns in their own blood!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

ragevirus. I am 100% certain that this exists somewhere deep in the amazon, congo, or the sumatran jungle

this exists, it's called rabies

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

yall are lucky i got medicated for my health anxiety OCD a year ago this month, otherwise I would be making GBS threads up this thread with drunken panic

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Bullfrog posted:

what's everyone's opinion on the scariest disease? ignoring the most common likely ones to kill you like cancer or heart disease. I vote for prion diseases, like if CWD was able to infect humans.

Yeah this doesn't sound fun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt%E2%80%93Jakob_disease

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ever think when you ate too much and then in the back of your mind you think "oh no I don't feel so good" and then you think you have this new virus?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

a.lo posted:

ever think when you ate too much and then in the back of your mind you think "oh no I don't feel so good" and then you think you have this new virus?

LOL freaking out about this poo poo while totally ignoring everyone around here has the flu or strep

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Vishass posted:

LOL freaking out about this poo poo while totally ignoring everyone around here has the flu or strep

friend a.lo does not post seriously most times

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

the scariest poo poo is actually just around the corner when antibiotics poo poo the bed and we can’t even do basic surgical procedures because the risk of nosocomial mrsa infection post-op is too high. we are like 30 years out, and still using antibiotics to water lawns and make chickens fat

And pharmaceutical companies aren't bothering to research antibiotics because the ROI isn't high enough.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

a.lo posted:

one of the common symptoms of health anxiety is trying to loving read your poo poo like tea leaves for secret signs of colon cancer.

hi im permabanned poster coronastomper58, i first started reading cspam when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “having a terminal disease” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “jesus christ i have the wuhan fish flu” and “i love eating bats” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Bullfrog posted:

one of the common symptoms of health anxiety is trying to loving read your poo poo like tea leaves for secret signs of colon cancer.

hi im permabanned poster coronastomper58, i first started reading cspam when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “having a terminal disease” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “jesus christ i have the wuhan fish flu” and “i love eating bats” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid

i'm the incredibly angry virologist that i heard today yelling that it almost certainly didn't come from fish

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

friend a.lo does not post seriously most times

I meant me.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a.lo posted:

this happened to me like 2 days ago

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Schnorkles posted:

i'm the incredibly angry virologist that i heard today yelling that it almost certainly didn't come from fish

lmao

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Viral genome has been sequenced

code:
    1 attaaaggtt tataccttcc caggtaacaa accaaccaac tttcgatctc ttgtagatct
   61 gttctctaaa cgaactttaa aatctgtgtg gctgtcactc ggctgcatgc ttagtgcact
  121 cacgcagtat aattaataac taattactgt cgttgacagg acacgagtaa ctcgtctatc
29761 acagtgaaca atgctaggga gagctgccta tatggaagag ccctaatgtg taaaattaat
29821 tttagtagtg ctatccccat gtgattttaa tagcttctta ggagaatgac aaaaaaaaaa
29881 aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aaa
https://bioinformatics.stackexchange.com/questions/11227/why-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-genome-end-in-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/

lmfao it ends screaming

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

a.lo posted:

courtesy of my main man plinkey

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

byob historian posted:

lmfao it ends screaming

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

if u coat ur lungs in a protective layer of tar the virus can't get in. smoke American Spirits.

please, Gauloises, newb

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

wb snoo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
should have asked for the multigrain coca cola

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

snoo posted:

courtesy of my main man plinkey

this plus beer and hot sauce and coffee

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SchrodingersCat posted:

And pharmaceutical companies aren't bothering to research antibiotics because the ROI isn't high enough.

i only see China as having the wherewithal to employ state resources to act on this imminent threat, yet at the same time, they’re a primary cause. due to their lax regulations, they are responsible for large amounts of antibiotics being dumped into the environment.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

eric ciaramella posted:

should have asked for the multigrain coca cola

how much metamucil do you think you could get into a mountain dew before it decarbonates completely?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've been coughing for like 5 days it owns lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/1221985386232074241?s=19

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
if they have the genome can't they make a synthetic vaccine right now

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1221986783140835329

if its in nepal and sri lanka is probably already in india

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
honestly pretending your country doesn't have a disease and then spreading that disease to other countries is a Chad move

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rated PG-34 posted:

i only see China as having the wherewithal to employ state resources to act on this imminent threat, yet at the same time, they’re a primary cause. due to their lax regulations, they are responsible for large amounts of antibiotics being dumped into the environment.

Haven't they been working on a massive program to eliminate antibiotic use in their livestock farming? I recall reading about it a few years ago and they had 2020 as a target for total elimination of farming antibiotic use. I wonder how that's going.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
the Virgin World Health Organization lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Its Chocolate posted:

Crash vaccine development, clinical trials, etc. even if you ignore safety protocols and just start jabbing people with the poo poo is probably 3-4 months out at absolute best, and that's if the first round goes swimmingly and isn't just like.. 30% effective like it probably will be.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

byob historian posted:

lmfao we end screaming

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

snoo posted:

please do NOT cough in this thread tyvm

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

vyelkin posted:

i think the primary question that will be answered over the next couple weeks that will determine how Serious this gets is whether or not its fluid or airborne.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Its Chocolate posted:

where's McAfee when you actually need him

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
SOMEONE GET MRS FRIZZLE ON THE LINE RIGHT NOW

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

When is Elon going to insert himself into this

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

snoo posted:

get the gently caress out before this virus mixes with a goon body and becomes electronically transmissable

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

i think the primary question that will be answered over the next couple weeks that will determine how Serious this gets is whether or not its fluid or airborne.

isn't it already confirmed airborne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

vyelkin posted:

*clears throat*