Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bad news guys, huge attack ad that is totally meant to make Bernie look bad incoming

https://twitter.com/jackcalifano/status/1221802296046182401?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

oxsnard posted:

Hey here's a Google photos album with thousands of screenshots of Hillary/Khive people being gross bigots on Twitter

https://twitter.com/OvrcmplctdHstry/status/1221979129676881920?s=20

this collage is pure psychic violence

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Hmmmm they did some sort of mock caucus thing at Drake University and only Warren & Buttigieg hit the threshold.

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1221973101107433474

If Bernie can't get 15% at a college...

I was in.the basement of that building while it was going on. It hurt the attendance for Andrew Siedels talk :mad:

Also no surprise Warren had a table there with workers and its the first day of classes. So you really had to be motivated to go.

Still a good showing for Pete.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Bad news guys, huge attack ad that is totally meant to make Bernie look bad incoming

https://twitter.com/jackcalifano/status/1221802296046182401?s=20

[THING IS BAD VOICE]Bernie Sanders is crazy. He's so radical, even his AGE is extreme! He wants to give you *record scratch* *gasp* HEALTH CARE! *glass shatters* *woman screams*

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bernie thinks that the government should just give you things in exchange for the tax money that you pay them.
Currency in exchange for goods and services? Sounding awfully capitalism to me :thunk:

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
genius. progressives will vote for him bc he is so liberal, boomers will now vote for him bc he is so old

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So I assume the plan with that ad is to make Bernie look awesome because they think Trump will destroy him in the general?

Pulling a Hillary.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Ugh, the term "cuck" was already embarrassing when it was just the alt-right using it. Can't believe anyone else would appropriate it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CubanMissile posted:

Ugh, the term "cuck" was already embarrassing when it was just the alt-right using it. Can't believe anyone else would appropriate it.

It's a fun word to say.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Majorian posted:

It's a fun word to say.

Gross.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Don't you tone police me.

(I think I've used the word like twice in my life, both mockingly)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

Hey here's a Google photos album with thousands of screenshots of Hillary/Khive people being gross bigots on Twitter

https://twitter.com/OvrcmplctdHstry/status/1221979129676881920?s=20

I think this tweet is a core example of the joe rogan drama we saw last week. The dynamic over these sorts of issues in more progressive internet environments has been total acquiescence, it's often a good thing because it gives people a platform they might not get the respect for outside of forums/social media but it's also created a 2-edged sword where dumb online people turn every disagreement into a social attack that you'd be a bad person for supporting the other side of. People upset about the blanket refusal to engage them on that particular endorsement are not necessarily mad at the boost to bernie, they're upset with the pushback in spaces they'd typically get nothing less than total agreement from. Which is why you see so many arguments to the effect of "I still like Bernie I just wish he handled it differently because I'm right and we should all agree I'm right so we can move on"

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
About the Joe Rogan thing: Turns out not everyone who votes for an economically leftist platform is socially liberal.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Majorian posted:

Don't you tone police me.

(I think I've used the word like twice in my life, both mockingly)

tbf I don't think I've ever heard someone use it in real life. I might just be lucky tho.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CubanMissile posted:

tbf I don't think I've ever heard someone use it in real life. I might just be lucky tho.

I've used it once ever. I was talking to someone who works a retail job and they have to thank veterans for their service (which is fine) but I thought "oh, what if it's the spouse or something" and they said "I have to tell the spouse to thank the other spouse for their service" and it felt like if there was any time in my life where something could have been considered a real cuck move it was that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Awful CompSloth posted:

About the Joe Rogan thing: Turns out not everyone who votes for an economically leftist platform is socially liberal.

Rogan is ignorant about trans people (and therefore had said and done transphobic things that should be challenged) but generally tends towards more progressive thinking these days. For example:

https://twitter.com/rousseaufanboy/status/1220561065966219264?s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1221858236107763712?s=20

Very normal editorials out of Jeff Bezo's newspaper.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nonsense posted:

Expect conspiracy theories about the Jews to surface in really ugly ways - like in this newspaper where we tell you all about it

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

It's a fun word to say.

You're thinking of cluck, and it's only fun if you're serious about imitating a chicken.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

This is basically "can a Jew win the presidency? we think not"

Which is incredibly ironic. Obviously.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Hmmmm they did some sort of mock caucus thing at Drake University and only Warren & Buttigieg hit the threshold.

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1221973101107433474

If Bernie can't get 15% at a college...
Most are dragging this but it does concern me. I would have predicted Bernie would win this, with reasonably high confidence. I think most people here would as well. Moreover I would have interpreted his winning it as "good" in that it would give me more confidence he will win the Iowa caucus - not less. So because of the latter this has to give me less confidence (how much less I'm not sure, but less) he will win the Iowa caucus - you can't have it both ways - and because of the former I must also concede that the hit to my confidence in that win is more than insignificant.

Let's try not to do the UKMT thing where we dismiss all evidence against Bernie running away with the nomination or whatever. Please prepare yourself for a loss in Iowa and a failure to secure the nomination - for your own health and so that you will be better prepared mentally for what must come next. It's looking really good, but even the "good" polls still show a very close race.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Most are dragging this but it does concern me. I would have predicted Bernie would win this, with reasonably high confidence. I think most people here would as well. Moreover I would have interpreted his winning it as "good" in that it would give me more confidence he will win the Iowa caucus - not less. So because of the latter this has to give me less confidence (how much less I'm not sure, but less) he will win the Iowa caucus - you can't have it both ways - and because of the former I must also concede that the hit to my confidence in that win is more than insignificant.

Let's try not to do the UKMT thing where we dismiss all evidence against Bernie running away with the nomination or whatever. Please prepare yourself for a loss in Iowa and a failure to secure the nomination - for your own health and so that you will be better prepared mentally for what must come next. It's looking really good, but even the "good" polls still show a very close race.

you gotta chill the gently caress out. It's one thing to downplay polling, and quite another to worry about what a couple of nerds do at a $50k per year private college.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's a self-selecting straw poll at an expensive private university where a bunch of rich kids showed up and voted for their favorite candidate who would make sure their dad's taxes wouldn't go up too much. I suggest not reading too much into it, and even if you want to factor it in you would want to weigh it against Bernie gaining in or winning every poll released over the last week.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Majorian posted:

It's a fun word to say.

It was funny when it was sort of a rarely-used medieval throwback, before it had a bunch of racist and sexist connotations dumped on it by the alt-right types. Alas.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Why would you predict the outcome of a mock caucus, much less a mock caucus at a private university made to bar undesirables.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The meaning you can ascribe to this straw caucus is the same that you can ascribe to the Iowa State Fair straw polls and similar: Zero. Exactly zero. It would be fun if Bernie won silly event X, but it has literally zero bearing on real world results. Attempting to divine meaning from every single shred of information is just going to drive you crazy.

In any case, if you're worried, the best thing you can do is volunteer. And really, you should be worried! It's an incredibly close and competitive race! Anyone could win! Just don't be worried about this silly thing in particular.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Me and my brothers just held a mock caucus and Bernie got 100% of the delegates. This bodes poorly for Buttigieg's chances.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's a self-selecting straw poll at an expensive private university where a bunch of rich kids showed up and voted for their favorite candidate who would make sure their dad's taxes wouldn't go up too much. I suggest not reading too much into it, and even if you want to factor it in you would want to weigh it against Bernie gaining in or winning every poll released over the last week.
Yeah I don't read that much in to it and dismissing it is one thing, but "This is good! For Bernie!" is another matter entirely. If he'd won this caucus we'd be gloating about it so if he loses it and doesn't even meet the viability threshold I think that should give us some pause, no? Like a really brief pause.

Office Pig posted:

Why would you predict the outcome of a mock caucus, much less a mock caucus at a private university made to bar undesirables.
:shrug: why not

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/drake-university

The median family income of a student from Drake is $131,700, and 62% come from the top 20 percent. About 1.7% of students at Drake came from a poor family but became a rich adult.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Me and my brothers just held a mock caucus and Bernie got 100% of the delegates. This bodes poorly for Buttigieg's chances.
:sweatdrop: what a relief

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Did Bloomberg eliminate the possibility of running 3rd party? Anyone else look interested in doing it?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The median family income of a student from Drake is $131,700, and 62% come from the top 20 percent. About 1.7% of students at Drake came from a poor family but became a rich adult.

If this mock caucus reminds us of anything, let it be that the rich will always have the back of their fellows. These kids are future lanyards in the making; don't just assume because they're Gen Z or know how to use TikTok that they're actually interested in anything but keeping themselves comfortable and in power. And look forward to at least one of those smug assholes writing an op-ed ten years from now where they deride Bernie's reforms and refer to themselves as a Mayor Pete Democrat.

No war but class war.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

ARACHTION posted:

Did Bloomberg eliminate the possibility of running 3rd party? Anyone else look interested in doing it?

Sore loser laws in a ton of states make it impossible I think

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Condiv posted:

pete's campaign messaging seems very confused

he wants to lean on "i'm bringing small town ideas to washington! i live near a cornfield!!" but going on tv and saying "what is sportball" seems like a direct contradiction of the image he's trying to build

Central High, the big bad rival team in the movie Hoosiers, is (was - it's apartments now) in downtown South Bend, a couple blocks from pete's old office (and visible from his window).

Notre Dame is football country tho.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

joepinetree posted:

bernie won the drake precinct 3 delegates to 1 in 2016, hillary was iirc barely viable

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
And how many Drake students are registered to vote in that district?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Like other people mentioned, this mockus is cherry picked nonsense.
Even if there were a sizable contingent of Bernie supporters at that school, they're almost certainly doing something useful like canvassing or phone banking or what have you, they wouldn't be wasting their time at a glorified publicity stunt for centrist cheerleaders.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

joepinetree posted:

No offense to anyone who went to Drake, but that’s like a total “your flagship state school is way better but your family’s too proud to send you to State” school.

Like if you’re rich enough to afford tuition but can’t get into an actually desirable private university or college you end up at a place like Drake. Couldn’t get into a school on one of the Coasts (not even BU), couldn’t go to Vandy/Emory/Rice in the South. Definitely didn’t get into UChicago or Villanova/Notre Dame. Womp womp.

Also, for being a university with a pharm and business schools it’s way smaller than my undergrad-only liberal arts college (yeah I was a scholarship kid, still picked up mad debt tho)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
check out this Biden campaign surrogate's casual slur drop, on Holocaust Memorial Day no less

https://twitter.com/ChrisDJackson/status/1221998555314913280?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

check out this Biden campaign surrogate's casual slur drop, on Holocaust Memorial Day no less

https://twitter.com/ChrisDJackson/status/1221998555314913280?s=20

A pack of gypsies? Uhhhhhhhh they better apologize real quick and real well for that one.