Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Put together my first actual "meta" deck (Braum/Zed in an Ionia Elusives rush-down) and it's really effective. Only real losses I've had come from Hecarim/Ephemeral spam which if you don't get your card draw ninjas early enough it loses to.

Being able to rotate buffs or card draws with the "Recall a unit to summon" dude is super gross and I don't think it's possible to have a bad early game with this thing. What's also nice the the champions are essentially there to bait high cost cards from the enemy because you absolutely don't need them to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have been playing magic for like 25 years and did quite well in constructed but always sucked poo poo at drafting and I still suck poo poo at drafting in 2020's hot new card game. Is there a guide written yet to help idiots like me with expeditions?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If you have 6 units in play, is there any way to replace one with another or do you absolutely need one to die first?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

how will they re-compensate players when they inevitably have to nerf cards

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Chernabog posted:

If you have 6 units in play, is there any way to replace one with another or do you absolutely need one to die first?

I'm pretty sure I saw Swim do this, so apparently Recall works to free up space.. sort of.

> 6 units in play
> Play Navori Conspirator [To play me, Recall an ally]
> The unit you choose goes back to your hand
> Navori Conspirator is now the 6th unit in play

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Not sure how shark chariot made it past playtesting but otherwise balance is surprisingly solid for the first public patch

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DeePee posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw Swim do this, so apparently Recall works to free up space.. sort of.

> 6 units in play
> Play Navori Conspirator [To play me, Recall an ally]
> The unit you choose goes back to your hand
> Navori Conspirator is now the 6th unit in play
Only navori conspirator and similar units do this. Normally there's no way.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Ah, then I amend my statement. It's not friendly to arena at all. It's actually pretty awful since 6th play only gives you 1000 shards.

I guess the goal would be to keep switching the regions and rush for champion decks as soon as possible to fill out all your champs x3, but with 24x3= 72 options that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

I’m not sure if the info is still valid but someone did a massive effort post regarding all this.

P much 7 or bust

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/dwhu8q/expedition_rewards_and_expected_value/

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Ah, then I amend my statement. It's not friendly to arena at all. It's actually pretty awful since 6th play only gives you 1000 shards.

I guess the goal would be to keep switching the regions and rush for champion decks as soon as possible to fill out all your champs x3, but with 24x3= 72 options that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Is it only 1000 still? I thought they updated the expeditions to have better rewards and be cheaper (I'm getting 3500 for 7 wins, which is all I've gotten so far :smug:)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m not sure if the info is still valid but someone did a massive effort post regarding all this.

P much 7 or bust

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/dwhu8q/expedition_rewards_and_expected_value/

Just added this to the OP.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Now that everyone has switched to elusive decks I am losing a bunch with Dawnspiders. I've more than doubled my total losses in only like 2 hours of playing today.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Freljord seems to play pretty well against elusive decks in my experience. Avalanche is online early enough to buy time, and Anivia can usually stabilize or win outright.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

No Wave posted:

Only navori conspirator and similar units do this. Normally there's no way.

Yeah that's what I thought. I learned this the hard way when I used my spare 1 mana to play a 1/1 hawk as my 6th unit instead of saving the spot for a beefy dude next turn.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My only card game experience is with Shadowverse and Artifact (lol). I don't even know the rules to MTG. So far, I was having fun with the Jinx premade deck, brought it into player matches and won a few. Started an expedition and now I'm on 3 wins with a Spider deck. So, the game is good...for now

e: wow okay ended Expedition with a full 7 win, my Nexus was at 1HP when I killed off the Teemo/Jinx team. I could technically call a retire and just harvest my prizes, but I should probably play through my second path for all that free EXP, right?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2020

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah the additional xp is worth it

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

this game owns

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Some commentary after a lot of play today:

I do think there's a balance issue if 90% of the people I'm running into are X-ionia or X-shadow isles, it's one thing for a sub to be good but I played for most of the day and saw exactly one person running a PZ (Jinx) deck (I actually lost to it but only because I was a complete idiot with my mana in the last round, I'd have beat it next turn if I'd saved mana for a deny instead of playing a follower.)

Shadow Isles is probably just too strong in general, most of the decks out there right now are SI with a splash of something else. Shadow Isles also has like a LOT of variations, I'd go so far as to say there's more viable SI variations than viable decks in the rest of the factions put together at the moment. I'm sure this will change quickly as people play more and develop new strategies but it's pretty bad right now.

Ionia's low level cards are good with basically any other faction and they've got Deny (you can play around it but it's extremely useful anyways) so it just pairs into anything. Not as dumb as SI but if we see nerfs to SI i think everyone's going to run sub Ionia which is going to be really boring.

I really don't understand why they made Elise shadow isles and all the spiders noxus, it means you can't use the spider champion with a good portion of spider decks. This is silly. The Demacian Dawn dudes are also flatly better than her to run in a spider deck which seems wrong.

That said Dawnspiders is pretty hard countered by challenger, which I've been seeing a lot of, so I'm not surprised that one is falling out of favor. Won against it more than I've lost but it's always a tightrope walk. Elusives are good at avoiding triggering the kill condition but the deck is full of self-kill moves so there's only so much you can prevent.

I think my favorite outside the meta deck I ran into today was a dude running a solo Demacia deck who had a frankly terrifying front line of dudes based on allegiance buffs, I won against that one but extremely barely and only because I managed to get a lucky 'clone your buffed elusive x2' draw in the turn before he would have smoked me.

Final thought: I've got a huge case of "Their team's Zed / Your team's Zed" where I find it difficult to prevent enemy Zeds from taking over games but if I play Zed he is absolutely going to lose me the game if I invest a single goddamn resource into him. I'm honestly considering dropping him from the deck because I think he's loving cursed.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm assuming the different regions or whatever they are called are sort of mimicking the colors in Magic? If so, do the different regions have different things/strategies they try to do, and what regions work well together?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The reason all the Spiders are Noxus and Elise is Shadow Isles is a confluence of lore and wanting to have obvious shared builds for when factions are partnered. As for Shadow Isles and Ionia being best in show, I suspect part of that is confirmation bias. Everyone sees them doing well and so also uses them.

That's not to say they aren't good, they are, and a lot of their good stuff is pretty low buy in thanks to rarities involved, but I remember that during the two previous tests Shadow Isles and Ionia were strong but not overwhelmingly so.

Sjonkel posted:

I'm assuming the different regions or whatever they are called are sort of mimicking the colors in Magic? If so, do the different regions have different things/strategies they try to do, and what regions work well together?

Kind of, it's a bit more broad than Magic the Gatherings colours, but a big part of the game was designing so that almost every region has something it wants to do with another Region. The basic example is Noxus and Demacia, lore rivals, who have very different ideas about how to apply their martial might; both of them have above average followers, but Noxus has a lot of cannot block whilst Demacia has a lot of defensive oriented options. Thus whilst they don't have the same ideals they do work together because you can have a huge selection of above average stat creatures who either act offensively or defensively.

Ironically Lucian (who hunts the undead) is actually super good with Shadow Isles (because they have a lot of sacrifice effects and other kill spells), and Vlad works with any region that has either regenerating followers/champs or ones who get effects for being damaged.

It's a very complex series of interconnected webs basically. But generally any two factions should have at least one functional deck or synergy together as that's been an explicit design goal of the game, to the point that future releases are planned to be a new faction and then cards for every other faction to synergise with the new faction.

But the basic things off the top of my head: Demacia is Defense and midrange synergy with some control options, Noxus is Offense and aggro with some kill spells, Ionia is control and low cost minions, Shadow Isles is control and sac synergy, Freljord is control and powerful finishers, Piltover and Zaun is aggro and spell synergy.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 28, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Important to note, after you do your 3/week of an expedition you can do infinite runs (though they only give XP) for free

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sjonkel posted:

These aren't one to one and are just my opinions since I haven't played M:TG in a hot sec, but:

Demacia is closest to White: Low-power, low-cost units but has ways to keep them on the field and a lot of them have synergistic buffs to the point where if Demacia has board control it's downright terrifying.

Freijord is closest to Green: A lot of reliance on cost-effective fairly huge midgame units, their board control looks a lot like having one, huge sticky person on the field and crushing all attempts to establish momentum.

Ionia and Piltover/Zaun are closest to Blue: Ionia is very much closer to classic Blue Denial Strats in terms of completely dismantling your enemy's offensives (while having a heavy reliance on Flyers aka Elusives), while Piltover/Zaun are very much closer to more usual spell-spam.

Noxus is closest to Red: Pure aggro, has the best ways to sweep the board clear or do direct damage to the Nexus, a lot of Noxus decks require establishing a lead and then never letting go of it, ever.

Shadow Isles are closest to Black: Like Demacia, they have a plethora of low-cost units, but they also have access to the most amount of hard removal in the game at current, and those smaller monsters are usually used for sacrifice plays for bigger moves/monsters. I can't remember if M:TG has anything like Ephemeral but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Monathin posted:

These aren't one to one and are just my opinions since I haven't played M:TG in a hot sec, but:

Demacia is closest to White: Low-power, low-cost units but has ways to keep them on the field and a lot of them have synergistic buffs to the point where if Demacia has board control it's downright terrifying.

Freijord is closest to Green: A lot of reliance on cost-effective fairly huge midgame units, their board control looks a lot like having one, huge sticky person on the field and crushing all attempts to establish momentum.

Ionia and Piltover/Zaun are closest to Blue: Ionia is very much closer to classic Blue Denial Strats in terms of completely dismantling your enemy's offensives (while having a heavy reliance on Flyers aka Elusives), while Piltover/Zaun are very much closer to more usual spell-spam.

Noxus is closest to Red: Pure aggro, has the best ways to sweep the board clear or do direct damage to the Nexus, a lot of Noxus decks require establishing a lead and then never letting go of it, ever.

Shadow Isles are closest to Black: Like Demacia, they have a plethora of low-cost units, but they also have access to the most amount of hard removal in the game at current, and those smaller monsters are usually used for sacrifice plays for bigger moves/monsters. I can't remember if M:TG has anything like Ephemeral but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

This is also very accurate and much more succinct than what I was saying.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

We're in the first 5 days of release. Everyone is running around with incomplete collections and very few champions as yet. Aggro decks are always incredibly cheap and strong to play during initial releases, including expansions. You just need to throw together a pile of cheap, overstatted minions that excel at going face and just trying to be the beatdown. It's way harder to gently caress up combo and control decks, because they require a lot of tuning to be effective. Ionia is a very strong faction, but I've been beating a lot of the ionia burn decks by running P&Z and just killing their evasive minions with burn spells, and countering their own spells.

Give it a few weeks and then we'll start seeing real decks actually start forming and getting tuned. If Ionia still stays enormously on top of the metagame, then maybe it's due for some minor tuning. But saying evasive is busted is like saying flying is busted in magic. Most of the evasive units in the game are understatted in comparision to non-evasive units, and need buffs to not lose the clock.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Reminder that unlike magic, due to the existance of burst spells (which in magic would be split second), Deny can't really interact with combat tricks.

IT's very good at shielding from removal/mass removal, so i'd expect aggro/challenger strategies with buffs raise to counter the elusives.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Sjonkel posted:

Each region has a general theme, but within the regions champions have their own theme that may not overlap. For example Demacia is mostly focused on having tough units and building a board, but then Lux has her own mini-theme of spells as a win condition and her own crew of cards to support that.

Champions are pretty powerful and their synergies might decide what regions you mix. The Fiora/Shen deck relies on Shen and his Barrier cards to let Fiora end the game. Yasuo wants stuns and despite really focusing on board control you might still pick up Noxus to have the repeat stuns the Minotaur provides.

Ionia has some good general units and Deny, a fast spell that can counter any fast or slow spell, and Shadow Isles has a lot of direct damage and removal so if you don't have a specific win condition they have a lot of synergy with a lot of decks.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This isn't available in my country at the moment and I am sad. :( Any idea when it'll be out of open beta?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Are you in Southeast Asia? Apparently if you create an account and install the game through a VPN you don't need the VPN to actually play it, assuming you're happy playing on American/Euro/Mainland Asia servers

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

amenbrotep posted:

Are you in Southeast Asia? Apparently if you create an account and install the game through a VPN you don't need the VPN to actually play it, assuming you're happy playing on American/Euro/Mainland Asia servers

Got it in one! Might give that a shot, thank you :)

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

nw, just be aware if you decide to switch regions later you lose all your progress.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

amenbrotep posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into this as well.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'd suggest going for OCE if you're in South East Asia, or the Mainland Asia Server of course.

berenzen posted:

We're in the first 5 days of release. Everyone is running around with incomplete collections and very few champions as yet. Aggro decks are always incredibly cheap and strong to play during initial releases, including expansions. You just need to throw together a pile of cheap, overstatted minions that excel at going face and just trying to be the beatdown. It's way harder to gently caress up combo and control decks, because they require a lot of tuning to be effective. Ionia is a very strong faction, but I've been beating a lot of the ionia burn decks by running P&Z and just killing their evasive minions with burn spells, and countering their own spells.

Give it a few weeks and then we'll start seeing real decks actually start forming and getting tuned. If Ionia still stays enormously on top of the metagame, then maybe it's due for some minor tuning. But saying evasive is busted is like saying flying is busted in magic. Most of the evasive units in the game are understatted in comparision to non-evasive units, and need buffs to not lose the clock.

Also this, Draven+Jinx+Ezrael is a variant of the discord deck I ran near constantly, and was winning plenty against every sort of deck just because of how many swings you can make with targetted damage removal, good combat tricks and card advantage. Discard is a huge thing that isn't being played right now because it needs 2 champions and a couple of epics and rares by default. (Draven's Biggest Fan, Draven Himself and Jinx, plus some cards I'm forgetting).

It's probably the most frustrating thing about the game for me right now, I know exactly the deck I want to play but don't have the cards for it yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My first 3 reward expeditions went very well, but as soon as I started free-play expeditions I could not get above 3 wins before my hopes and dreams were crushed every run.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think this is really an "aggro meta" and games ending at 6 to 8 will be pretty normal.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My first 3 reward expeditions went very well, but as soon as I started free-play expeditions I could not get above 3 wins before my hopes and dreams were crushed every run.
Better than the opposite right? It does suggest that matchmaking might be distinct between the two modes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 28, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

mistaya posted:

Final thought: I've got a huge case of "Their team's Zed / Your team's Zed" where I find it difficult to prevent enemy Zeds from taking over games but if I play Zed he is absolutely going to lose me the game if I invest a single goddamn resource into him. I'm honestly considering dropping him from the deck because I think he's loving cursed.

They’re doing a good job incorporating League into this game in interesting ways!

Someone over in the sub reddit also fixed up Yasuo for similar flavor:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

mistaya posted:

Good commentary
I think Shadow Isles is just overstuffed relative to the other factions - you have card draw, the best removal suite in the game, some frankly dumb Ephemeral combos, pretty good options for Champions, and Rhasa. Elise is run in the Dawnspiders deck to give everyone Challenger, which you will desperately need to deal with Elusive aggro beats, but otherwise I agree that she's sub-par in the D/SI archetype.

With regard to Ionia, I think there's a lot of good stuff in there, but I don't think that everyone would run the faction by default if SI were to fall out of favor. As more decks arise that can deal with Elusive, I actually think Ionia will start to drop and Freljord and Demacia will become the factions that everyone sees until the cardpool increases.

As for Zed, I've started running a Yasuo/Zed deck after buying the last couple wildcards I needed, and he works fine in that shell if you don't invest a thing in him. Fae Bladetwirler and Yasuo are there to win the game; Zed is there to create cheap pressure until your control wins out. I don't think it's precisely an on-meta deck and I'll need to tweak it undoubtedly, but I think it's a good way to utilize him. My sample size is obviously incredibly small though so take this with a grain of salt.

Stormgale posted:

Reminder that unlike magic, due to the existance of burst spells (which in magic would be split second), Deny can't really interact with combat tricks.

IT's very good at shielding from removal/mass removal, so i'd expect aggro/challenger strategies with buffs raise to counter the elusives.
That's true, but Deny does eat Steel Tempest and Judgment (among other things), which are quasi-combat tricks in that they can only be played during combat, and the latter being eaten by Deny is probably the Fiora OTK deck's main weakness. That said I agree that I think Deny's value is overstated somewhat. Stopping certain unit effects or dealing with the insane amount of removal most decks run will feel crippling until it doesn't. I haven't really minded Deny going off while running Elusive aggro or Dawnspiders all that much. Stuffing Rhasa sucks, to be sure, but you can play around it, and the Elusive deck does not actually have anything slower than Burst speed in most configurations, so there's nothing to Deny. If they were to nerf cards in terms of cost or speed in this game - which I doubt they'll do, but it's possible - I don't really think you could change Deny much. At 4 mana, to rescue decks that require Fast/Slow spells to even function, Deny is probably unplayable? I'd have to play way more games.

berenzen posted:

This is probably true. I feel like I need to tweak my Yasuo deck or get better at the game, but I think control archetypes that both use him and don't are viable. I'm probably going to focus on practicing with this deck the most often between draft runs, because it's also by far the most fun I've had playing LoR.

Incidentally,

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also this, Draven+Jinx+Ezrael is a variant of the discord deck I ran near constantly, and was winning plenty against every sort of deck just because of how many swings you can make with targetted damage removal, good combat tricks and card advantage. Discard is a huge thing that isn't being played right now because it needs 2 champions and a couple of epics and rares by default. (Draven's Biggest Fan, Draven Himself and Jinx, plus some cards I'm forgetting).
would you mind sharing your deck? I feel like I should try playing more P&Z and I really want to make Ezreal/Jinx/something work together. Or if anyone has a burn deck with Ez in it I'd appreciate it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
an someone look at this deck and tell me what I could do to improve it, other then swap Elise for Hecarim, I don't have him yet.

CEAQEAIFEITAEAYBAIERQOIMAECQKCYMB4JBWHJIFEXTCNICAIAQEBZPAIAQKCIW

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

My vault had like 2 epics, no epic wild cards, and no champs :mad:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The fact that very few players have collections anywhere near complete has definitely made my time playing LoR more enjoyable. When I did run into a meta deck like Dawnspiders, things became considerably less fun. I feel like there should have been a $10 and $20 starter bundle in addition to the $5 option to help kickstart your collection.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

guts and bolts posted:

would you mind sharing your deck? I feel like I should try playing more P&Z and I really want to make Ezreal/Jinx/something work together. Or if anyone has a burn deck with Ez in it I'd appreciate it.

I actually forgot it, but the main gist was the discard package (Draven, Jinx, Draven's Biggest Fan, Chompers, Jury Rig, Get Excited, Vision, Rummage) with Ezrael and as many targetted removal options in both Noxus and Demacia as I can manage (Mystic Shot, Culling Strike, Blade's Edge, Noxian Guillotine, Whirling Death, Augmented Experimentor) You end up running a lot of 2 ofs instead of 3 ofs, but there's an assload of card draw and card creation all over so it's not that much of an issue. Against Elusive Decks and Fiora Decks you want your hard removal and elusive followers/champs, against other aggro you want your discard and Draven/Jinx stuff, against control you want even harder aggro and against tempo you try to beat them at their own game.

Rummage is an absolute all-star with the discard package in general btw and Noxian Guillotine turns even the smallest of damage spells into a kill spell if used right.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

expeditions have been a lot of fun for me, but mostly due to 7 wins. the final showdown at 7 wins is tense because it is the difference between "i get to play again" and "i just wasted 2 grand"... but thankfully i am good enough at the game to do it. the bastards at riot should make it such that 6 wins is still a positive, and 5 wins is close to breaking even, as to make going infinite something reliable and 7 wins something aspirable. i am making this a real word because otherwise the rhyme does not work. making a net positive for 6 wins makes losing the showdown at 7 wins not as punishing, while rewarding the winner even more so.