Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pilchenstein posted:

:v:

I had to ring the revenue and get them to give me an extra month cause I hosed up registering for the online thing and didn't have time to sort it out. I'm an adult.

Hope you recorded that call!

128GB - size of microSD card that doesn't work in most of my gadgets. In fact 32GB seems to be the most useful size for swappability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Until I was 11 years old, we did money in £sd, weight in tons (not tonnes), cwt, stones, lbs (troy and avoirdupois - which weighs more, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers? Feathers obviously), ozs; liquid in fl.oz, gills, pints, quarts, gallons. They'd only just stopped doing rods, poles and perches when I was at junior school.
(Though chains are still in use in for example railway, and furlongs in horse racing and I'm not sure if fathoms are still in use for divers).
I don't remember anyone using leagues though there was a popular kids' story involving seven-league boots.
One of the best poo poo-that-probably-didn't-happen, although given the state of English law it would not surprise me at all if it actually did, was when the kung fu movie panic caused the government to restrict nunchaku in 1988, a peer had to point out that legislation restricting "any assembly of wooden sticks kept apart by a chain" would, if taken in every sense, ban cricket.

It's urban legend material, but I want to believe.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

128GB - size of microSD card that doesn't work in most of my gadgets. In fact 32GB seems to be the most useful size for swappability.

I bought a new 128gb microsd card for my dictaphone (I occasionally have to make recordings for work) because I'd been noticing the smaller volume one that came with it could only store maybe 3 hours of audio which was cutting it fine for my requirements. Obviously it didn't work and I wasted my money (well, ended up putting it in my phone despite it not in any way needing that much storage). Why does this happen? It's the same tech, the cards are identical, surely they should be interchangeable in the same way USB drives etc are?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pilchenstein posted:

I had to ring the revenue and get them to give me an extra month cause I hosed up registering for the online thing and didn't have time to sort it out. I'm an adult.

Be really careful filling it out; late submissions, submissions close to the deadline and extensions are points which contribute to a possible audit, according to an ex-coworker who did exactly that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I bought a new 128gb microsd card for my dictaphone (I occasionally have to make recordings for work) because I'd been noticing the smaller volume one that came with it could only store maybe 3 hours of audio which was cutting it fine for my requirements. Obviously it didn't work and I wasted my money (well, ended up putting it in my phone despite it not in any way needing that much storage). Why does this happen? It's the same tech, the cards are identical, surely they should be interchangeable in the same way USB drives etc are?
The SD standard is a bunch of different standards shoved into a common form factor and on top of that different devices allocate different amounts of mass storage addressing space depending on what they expect to get put in them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I don't think RomCom is the word I would use.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1221943262002524161

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Same here. Thank you Owl.

What do you all do to not dislike yourselves? Or to feel better after a bad day?

I remind myself regularly that nearly all of my problems are caused by society and are not indicative of personal flaws, and that actually I'm doing quite well considering that.

I keep saying it but one of the big benefits of leftism is you can correctly blame other people for your failings, good for your mental health in that regard.

As for feeling better, mostly videogames and watching youtube, I like watching other people play games and seeing how they approach them, seeing their reaction to things. There's a concept called "passive multiplayer" that describes the way people can play games "together" by watching other people go through them, because there's a social element to it, you get a different perspective on something you might have experienced yourself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The SD standard is a bunch of different standards shoved into a common form factor and on top of that different devices allocate different amounts of mass storage addressing space depending on what they expect to get put in them.

It's normally just an age thing though - the SD standard has been updated as miniaturisation (and price) has made it practical to stuff more and more in. It doesn't normally cost anything more in hardware or software* to make your device compatible with the 1TB ones which are available now than the 32GB ones which were as big as the standard allowed ten years ago, but you will normally have to redesign your device (or at least rewrite the firmware which may or may not be possible) to allow it, so loads of stuff will have a ceiling of whatever the standard said a few years before they were made. For a while you could get full-size SD cards that would allow you to partition them as multiple smaller cards and switch between them, to allow older devices to use them, but I've not seen one in a while.

*The exception being if you need very high-speed access to large files (e.g. for video cameras) where you'll need considerably more on-board RAM and CPU for the interface as the size ramps up otherwise you get big bottlenecks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's normally just an age thing though - the SD standard has been updated as miniaturisation (and price) has made it practical to stuff more and more in. It doesn't normally cost anything more in hardware or software* to make your device compatible with the 1TB ones which are available now than the 32GB ones which were as big as the standard allowed ten years ago, but you will normally have to redesign your device (or at least rewrite the firmware which may or may not be possible) to allow it, so loads of stuff will have a ceiling of whatever the standard said a few years before they were made. For a while you could get full-size SD cards that would allow you to partition them as multiple smaller cards and switch between them, to allow older devices to use them, but I've not seen one in a while.

*The exception being if you need very high-speed access to large files (e.g. for video cameras) where you'll need considerably more on-board RAM and CPU for the interface as the size ramps up otherwise you get big bottlenecks.

From the manufacturer's view that's pretty much it yeah, they need to write something in the specs so people don't yell at them. If you're a consumer with a card and a thingy and wondering what happens when you put the one into the other, the maximum capacity specs may low ball it and may in some cases not be particularly close to what the device can work with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pineapple Jaffa Cakes exist. Burn this loving country to the ground.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jedit posted:

Oh no my flavoured apricot jam has a different syrup in it

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Waiting for the inevitable bounty / jaffa cake crossover.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

i sometimes wonder if the election was actually won - i just haven't woken up from sleeping with glandular fever yet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hope they go doorknocking together and shittalk each others parties with the same smiles as the thumbnail.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Brexiteer friend logic.
Me: can't find out if I'll need a Schengen or air transit visa after Brexit.
Friend: we didn't need visas before we joined EU so why would we need them now?

:Smdh:

Hello, we're 45 years later, kids can't leave school at 15 now, half of 18year olds go to uni instead of 5%, jobs for life no longer exist, bins not being emptied for 3 weeks was a national crisis but is normal now, we've had the whole war on terror thing, and as our economy and national status will be that of a 'developing country' they'll want to make sure visitors have the incentive to go home again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

He couldn't purge them, they're elected, and neither can any of the current leadership candidates, but open selections would be a good thing for ensuring the left keep a presence in the party and, potentially, a vehicle to start getting rid of the lovely ones.

Purging the party also doesn't address the issue of how you actually win a loving a election. I guess Labour now have 5 years to work that out now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Jaunty / Boffa Cakes.

Pickled Onion flavour.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Pickled Onion Monster Munch crossed with Terry's Chocolate Orange.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Pickled Onion Monster Munch crossed with Terry's Chocolate Orange.

In the shape of one of those puzzle balls but it's just a bunch of monster munch claws (they are claws don't @ me) that fit into a sphere.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Miftan posted:

In the shape of one of those puzzle balls but it's just a bunch of monster munch claws (they are claws don't @ me) that fit into a sphere.

Wait are monster munch NOT in the shape of claws?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Wait are monster munch NOT in the shape of claws?

paging guava with the "teach the controvery" picture.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA8mSZ51JY

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Someone convince Claire Saffitz to make gourmet Monster Munch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Brexiteer friend logic.
Me: can't find out if I'll need a Schengen or air transit visa after Brexit.
Friend: we didn't need visas before we joined EU so why would we need them now?

ahhh, there's the headache

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Someone convince Claire Saffitz to make gourmet Monster Munch.

You'll find her real name is Claire from the bon appetit test kitchen

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Sounds like Nick Parsons died. :(

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs3s30t5duw

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

BizarroAzrael posted:

somewhere a journalist is formulating a comment about how he lived his life without hesitation, deviation or repetition.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

He's gonna have the best drat eulogies

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He's gonna have the best drat eulogies

I assume Gyles Brandreth will be there to buzz in if anyone repeats anything.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I bought a jar of Marmite peanut butter last night, crunchy of course because I'm not a monster.

It's delicious.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Miftan posted:

This new Hellraiser film sounds weird.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Its going to be interesting what "Lads weekends" turn into post Brexit.

Cant imagine many of those guys are gathered enough to get Visas to go to on their binge weekend and will probably have to settle for Blackpool again.

Conversely, Ibiza might turn into a retirement community and a shitload of pubs in Prague are going to shut down.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Foster posted:

Hello my dears.

I'm back, not to talk about whatever fresh lamentable hell we find ourselves in (I don't want to know) but to ask your advice. I'm particularly asking Ms Adequate and Rarity, if yous are still hanging out here.

Oof, late to this one. My honest response would be to not even give him that much emotional labour and just disengage but then I'd probably feel about it differently if it was my dad. Sorry you had to have this dilemma, please feel welcome to talk about things in the thread if you need somewhere to vent

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SpicePro posted:

I bought a jar of Marmite peanut butter last night, crunchy of course because I'm not a monster.

It's delicious.

Wholly unnecessary when you can just buy a jar of each and enjoy them in whatever combinations you desire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Such as marmite up the bum, peanut butter in the gob.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

CyberPingu posted:

Its going to be interesting what "Lads weekends" turn into post Brexit.

Cant imagine many of those guys are gathered enough to get Visas to go to on their binge weekend and will probably have to settle for Blackpool again.

Conversely, Ibiza might turn into a retirement community and a shitload of pubs in Prague are going to shut down.

It'll be nothing more than a ESTA style system where you pre-register and pay 20-30£ for two years or so, nothing that will effect holidaymakers in a noticeable fashion except your travel insurance will go through the roof because of losing the EHIC.

People trying to retire to Spain though :lol::lol:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Saros posted:

People trying to retire to Spain though :lol::lol:

I never said UK retirement community :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Piss Polly has come out with her endorsement for leader: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/28/labour-split-affection-corbyn

Keir Starmer, to reunite the party rather than allow Rebecca Wrong-Smelly to homocorbynise the party further (ps she's an antisemite)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

That sounds delicious, gonna have to find some now.