Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Unless you just generally like villains, there's not a whole lot of reason to like him yet. He's a brat and he's done very little. Hell, I still don't like him but I realize I'm in the minority there.

not liking him is one thing, but preferring overhaul to him is just plain froot loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The highway attack is one of the most visually striking parts of the whole manga, and it’s a shame that the anime made it look humdrum. Shigaraki taking out the transport van is more cinematic in the chapter than it is animated. I wonder if the thread’s response to that scene would have been different if it had gotten the same treatment it had in the manga.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The highway attack is one of the most visually striking parts of the whole manga, and it’s a shame that the anime made it look humdrum. Shigaraki taking out the transport van is more cinematic in the chapter than it is animated. I wonder if the thread’s response to that scene would have been different if it had gotten the same treatment it had in the manga.

The manga thread had precisely the same reaction to the same events at that point in time too

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The anime picks and chooses what moments get top billing and extra focus/budget while Horikoshi clearly loves all of these moments pretty equally. The bit with Shigaraki on top of the truck is bombastic as gently caress in the manga and just kinda normal and boring in the anime.

Back when I was reading this arc as it came out I just wanted Deku to pancake Overhaul instantly. While that eventually happens, really Shigaraki delivered on the catharsis I was looking for, with a flourish.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mister Olympus posted:

The manga thread had precisely the same reaction to the same events at that point in time too

Not really as people may have been split on Shigiraki, everyone was very happy to see Overhaul ruined.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, speaking as one of the few people in the thread who liked Shigaraki for most of the manga, the highway attack is one of the main moments I remember people starting to come around on him. My Villain Academia was the real turning point, of course, but almost everyone seemed to like Shiggy and the VA wrecking Overhaul.

It definitely wasn't as understated and mixed as the anime thread is now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

not liking him is one thing, but preferring overhaul to him is just plain froot loops
Oh absolutely, Overhaul was a garbage villain and I'm glad Shigaraki wrecked him. And even being cold on most of the League, the highway sequence was cooler than most of the infiltration arc so it's lame that they apparently didn't do it justice.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

Best Jeanist is still in a gym bag somewhere

He's in his chrysalis phase and will emerge as BESTEST JEANIST

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Being mildly crazy is NikkolasKing's posting gimmick

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Arianya posted:

Shirakumo's hair can be seen in the background of one of the photos with Present Mic and Eraserhead :ohdear:

Fatgum's cop buddy with the cutter quirk also appears in the photo with young Fatgum and the police. Vigilantes is evidently super well-liked.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Fatgum's cop buddy with the cutter quirk also appears in the photo with young Fatgum and the police. Vigilantes is evidently super well-liked.

Oh my god, I love ACRAB.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh absolutely, Overhaul was a garbage villain

I still don't see this. He's legit vile in every way which is... well pretty drat villainous.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not too impressed with Overhaul as a character, but I do like the effect this arc has had on Midoriya and Shigaraki both. Midoriya gets to see some actually terrible fallout from Overhaul's action with the child abuse and two Pro Heroes dying, and Shigaraki learns about the power of friendship and kicking a man while he's down.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, speaking as one of the few people in the thread who liked Shigaraki for most of the manga, the highway attack is one of the main moments I remember people starting to come around on him. My Villain Academia was the real turning point, of course, but almost everyone seemed to like Shiggy and the VA wrecking Overhaul.

that post overhaul arc bit was the best part of the entire thing imo, even dabi killing sandman was great in a hosed up way

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Overhaul is a huge loser and him getting owned by a madman with a kindergartner strapped to his back, a manchild, and a loving stage magician is about what he deserves.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

I still don't see this. He's legit vile in every way which is... well pretty drat villainous.
He IS a villain, and he's a bad person, but I just don't like him or his fight. As a character I just never cared about him or his nonsense plan. Horikoshi did a good job making him evil but that's easy to do when you just have them torture a child. Outside of that there was not much to him. And as a fighter he was overpowered in the same way as Doflamingo in One Piece was: he had no reason to be as powerful as he was given the kind of character he was. They're great as the engineering puppet master types and they become boring as dirt once you make them terminators too.

They also are similar in that their powers were super mishandled. Doflamingo could control people like puppets so obviously the majority of his fights should involve throwing thread like lasers. Overhaul could break down and reshape anything so of course that means 90% rock spikes. The fact that that same brat was apparently fast and strong enough to instakill Rappa became embarrassing in retrospect. Why? Just because he's the leader so he's gotta be the strongest. Shonen rules. The best thing Overhaul did was give Mirio and Deku a stage to look cool on and it would've been even cooler had he been better developed and utilized.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

I vividly remember this arc getting tons of negative opinions every chapter until Shiggy punked Overhaul, at which point we celebrated his discovery of the power of evil friendship, then opinions got back to positive for a good long while. The reaction is definitely different.

I can't wait to see how they react to MVA :getin:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I felt pretty hyped by 100% OfA, but Horikoshi was dying during it, so it was roughly drawn.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The anime thread is having its tangent on plot armor and I'm over here in manga land scared about losing half the cast to a upset Shiggy with a probable Gigantomachia appetizer.

At least I have the cultural festival to look forward to while everyone dusts.

But really between the highway attack and MVA I like the villains screen time better than the heroes at this point, it's just real good and good rear end villains make for a good rear end story.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 28, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Just murk everyone over 18 and be done with it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fat and Useless posted:

But really between the highway attack and MVA I like the villains screen time better than the heroes at this point, it's just real good and good rear end villains make for a good rear end story.

:hmmyes:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm the outlier that didn't care too much for the villain plotline.

The stuff with twice was good, but everything else considered I prefer the hero plotline.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Kill everyone over 18 but replace Dr. Do Little with Mt. Lady and never have anybody bring it up like it had always been that way

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm the outlier that didn't care too much for the villain plotline.

The stuff with twice was good, but everything else considered I prefer the hero plotline.
Yeah, Twice is basically the only Villain I really like.

I want to like Mr. Compress more cause he's got a great design and name and a pretty good attitude but he doesn't do anything.

Toga is a yandere and I don't care for those.

Dabi is lame.

Magne was good but alas.

Shigaraki is fine at best but I liked him better when he leaned into the lovely kid making video game analogies. Now he tanks hits like the hulk and and melts the world and has a grimdark back story which is all fine for building a credible threat villain but it doesn't make him super interesting and the whole rebel army treating him like he's their savior is a little weird. He'll be a fine final boss but I can't agree at all with the people who think his story is more interesting than Deku and co's.

EDIT: I forgot Spinner. He is on Mr. Compress' level. I felt like he was gonna have a big moment during MVA but nope.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

TheKirbs posted:

He's completely absent beside a mention of his name until about 5 arcs from where the anime is.

Much nearer is the backstory of another character which involves the destruction of their family and home who also has no pictures in the ending.

Oh, good point.

The part of that photo we can see does look a lot like the same tree as is in the photo of Todoroki and Endeavour, but that's super flimsy

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What if Hawks is setting up the heroes to fail so he can get in good with the League and finally get granted a meeting with Shigaraki so he can attempt to kill him himself?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spinner's big moment I think was finally being sold by Shigaraki's vision in the end. He may have moved on from Stain in that moment.

Also:
https://twitter.com/VocalPineapple/status/1222070903267262465?s=20

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

Spinner's big moment I think was finally being sold by Shigaraki's vision in the end. He may have moved on from Stain in that moment.

Not just that, but that he, a nobody with a lame quirk, is not worth less as a person than Trumpet, an influential politican with a powerful quirk and a high rank in the Liberation Army. His humanist view of equality means he's got a better grasp of the values of the LA than at least one of its leaders.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

What if Hawks is setting up the heroes to fail so he can get in good with the League and finally get granted a meeting with Shigaraki so he can attempt to kill him himself?

I've watched enough series to know that never, ever ends well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That was a touching ske-

...Hori, please

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Bakugo screaming his way to blow up the Deku sun and Todoroki moon is actually my favorite thing.

It makes me feel like Hori saw that comic where he high fives Uraraka and goes to space.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I like how it's been slowly unfolding over several sketch pages now. It's my favourite plotline.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Libra posted:

I like how it's been slowly unfolding over several sketch pages now. It's my favourite plotline.

This was the best one:

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1219593904879570945

Double Bakugou!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If Twice makes a clone of Hawks right now, would the clone know he wasn't actually on Twice's side?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

If Twice makes a clone of Hawks right now, would the clone know he wasn't actually on Twice's side?

Yes but clones have no obligations to follow orders.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, that's why cloning an enemy doesn't help much, because the clones share the same beliefs and poo poo as the original.

That's why Twice has only ever copied himself or his allies.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, that's why cloning an enemy doesn't help much, because the clones share the same beliefs and poo poo as the original.

That's why Twice has only ever copied himself or his allies.

And even that can bring issues, as Twice's backstory made all too clear.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

1) Could Monoma copy a quirk from a clone?

2) If so, could Monoma copy Twice's quirk, create a clone of himself, and then recopy that quirk from his clone in order to keep it indefinitely?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Twice's quirk is completely absurd but it is balanced by the fact that it belongs to Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Libra posted:

Twice's quirk is completely absurd but it is balanced by the fact that it belongs to Twice.

I mean, it used to be, but now that Twice has somewhat conquered his trauma he's a lot more loving dangerous as Hawks points out.

The best way to deal with Twice is with large-scale attacks, since regardless of the original's durability, all clones have a hard limit on the damage they can take before they go poof.