Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Meanwhile...

This is the irony of Star Citizen. It looks so good. It looks like a AAA game. And everybody knows if a game looks good it usually also plays good.

Unfortunately most everything about the game is totally broken except for the looking good part.

I can see how for a lot of people this dualism is unbelievable, combined with how long the game has been in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Inacio posted:

i can't believe CIG is reinventing registry entry paradigms! will they ever stop innovating!

StarOS when ?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

knockout posted:

maybe about 5% of the posts to this thread are earnest enjoyment of the game. the overwhelming majority of posts are judgmental non-players or armchair developers/producers. such is the internet, i suppose.

I'm a judgmental non player. Do I get an award? :)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Account locked and can’t get a response

My account got locked because of two (supposed) chargebacks on purchases made in October and November - i was told to cancel them and repay the balance to get my account back. However, when i went to check a couple days later to resolve things, there were no chargebacks listed on my payment providers website, and I haven’t been able to get a response from support in nearly a week. This usually wouldn’t be an issue but i can’t log in to make an official ticket and the email chain i have hasn’t received a response in 6 days. I have quite a lot invested into that account and i really can’t lose it (also i don’t want to miss the carrack launch) suggestions?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:trustme: SCL Questions Needed: Theaters of War CitizenCon Followup

This Friday at 12pm Pacific, 8pm UTC we'll have Technical Director Sean Tracy on the show LIVE from our Los Angeles Studio to answer questions following up on his Theaters of War presentation from CitizenCon 2949. (Yeah, it's been awhile. Schedules, what can I say?) I'd encourage you to check out the presentation if you haven't already and post whatever follow-ups you have for Sean in this thread below.

As usual, submit your questions and don't forget to VOTE to see which ones you want answered most before tuning in on Friday to twitch.tv/starcitizen to hear the answers LIVE.

POSTING GUIDELINES
Questions should be relevant to the topic (and guests) of this week's show.
Only make replies to the OP.
Only one question per post.
KEEP IT SUCCINCT. We want to get as many questions in as possible.
Do not direct a question to a specific developer.
Do not submit one question, gets votes with that question, and then reword the question or replace it with another one entirely.
Do not make use of special formatting in an attempt to draw more attention, and therefore more votes, to your questions i.e. BOLD, H1, etc.
No "when" questions. All information we have about the intended release of any feature is represented on the Public Roadmap.
No "post-launch" questions. This is a program dedicated to the continuing development of the game, and focused on the immediate and near-term future of the project.
No pictures. Make it easy for people to find the question they want to vote on without having to scroll through pictures.
Post violating these guidelines or the subjects of the broadcast may be deleted, as may in-line replies.
Have fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr3PATgOEmo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hahaha how pathetic. I love how so many of the questions are clearly people who don't care about TOW and want to know how it will affect the PU.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 28, 2020

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

This is not an alpha. This is not a pre-alpha. This is not even a tech demo. It's not even a failed tech demo. Chris Roberts has discovered a new stage of game development which occurs only under special conditions: when you take a team of unprecedentedly and violently inept and inexperienced people, give them contradictory marching orders, then totter off into traffic yelling "FIDELITY! IMMERSION!" until you wander off a pier somewhere. In a separate building are entry-level 3D artists sending the "dev team" plagiarized art at regular intervals, while the networking team reboots the desktop PC with the yellow sticky note on it labeled "SERVRE" [sic] every 15 minutes.

I can't even call it a circus because some planning and talent are involved in those. Even reality shows have some degree of organization. How people aren't seeing past this is one of the great mysteries of our age.

Sometimes you see something so inept, that when you take into consideration how much money has been funneled into making it, and this is the result, the mind rejects it as impossible. It can't be that - there must be something there. Look at that fidelity! Those leather jackets! Grabby hands! The space helmet!

Basic denial, essentially.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hahaha how pathetic. I love how so many of the questions are clearly people who don't care about TOW and want to know how it will affect the PU.

:confused: Where are we in development? The mode was playable at CitizenCon, how come there is no clear information on the release and is not currently present in the roadmap?

:v:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I mean, maybe my uncultured eyes can't actually discern real quality, but I think the game looks pretty good when it isn't breaking. Which I know sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I actually do mean it. When you just look at 'the game' and not some screenshot showing it breaking, it looks quite nice, I think.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:confused: Where are we in development? The mode was playable at CitizenCon, how come there is no clear information on the release and is not currently present in the roadmap?

:v:

Waiting for a few months to pass and then hear CR announce Theatres of War mode isn't actually needed because its already in the PU.

Then they will do a concept sale of some tonks. Backers will celebrate by splurging more money.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Question removed for Rule #8: No "when" questions. All information we have about the intended release of any feature is represented on the Public Roadmap."

One should never question when something will be ready in SC.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Agony Aunt posted:

"Question removed for Rule #8: No "when" questions. All information we have about the intended release of any feature is represented on the Public Roadmap."

Extra comedy detail: Theaters of War is not on the loving roadmap.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm the carefully crafted response to an honest question about what the hell is going on with the game

It also looks like a lawyer wrote that Rule #8

'Any information we may or may not have about a possible release of any sort of game if intended in the future may or may not be possible if it is indeed on the public roadmap'

They should just come out and post the video to Youtube of Chris sitting at his desk for the past 7 years picking his nose and eating it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Loving the salt on the TOW question thread.

Gamerdads who would rather fly transport ships than fight people in the combat-focused mode of the space combat game:

:smith: Will there be any ToW levels that focus on troop transportation as a major part of the gameplay/strategy/combat?

Citizens who don't give a poo poo about ToW but are trying to shoehorn in a question about their favored nerd chariot!

:smith: Any chance we see the Cutlass Red in TOW ?

Some... REAL TALK! *snap snap snap*

:smith: Will there be any effort to bring back the relatively responsive, dynamic, high skill cap and fun gameplay from previous generations of patches back into SC's combat which currently feels very slow, drifty, sloppy and sluggish (for both fps and flight)?

:smith: Will we see any improvements on how ground vehicles function in ToW / PU ??
"Ground vehicles = Ballista / Cyclone / Ursa"

The overall driving experience is well below par right now..

:smith: With the other game modes in such poor shape, why would another game mode be created further taking resources away from fixing the Star Marine and Arena Commander?

:smith: Will theatres of war suffer from the same lagginess and other glitches (such as grenades that just seem to float or land at your feet as your character chucks it away or severe desync ) that Star Marine does? I don't see a point in introducing a new game mode to test combat, if it can't handle combat to begin with.

Desperately trying to rationalized this game mode as, somehow, contributing to the development of SQ42 instead of pulling resources away!

:smith: How dependent is SQ42 gameplay dependent on the outcomes measured from ToW?

And one poor bastard that hopes CIG can someday match a feat that Fortnite and many other BRs managed years ago.

:smith: Are there any plans to test 100+ players in Theatre of War?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Gothsheep posted:

I mean, maybe my uncultured eyes can't actually discern real quality, but I think the game looks pretty good when it isn't breaking. Which I know sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I actually do mean it. When you just look at 'the game' and not some screenshot showing it breaking, it looks quite nice, I think.

That's one of the core problems though, it "looks" good when it isn't breaking, and the only state in which is remains unbroken is when you stand perfectly still and fix your view in one direction. It's what happens when all your effort goes into making something look awesome but disregard absolutely everything else that a computer game needs to be qualified as one.

Do a gameplay loop.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

Daikatana looks good in screenshots, aliens colonial marines looks good in screenshots. but once in video form or even "gameplay" Star Citizen is jank, when their own citcon "gameplay" loop cannot do a non buggy graphical mess in showing off the game, any debate of it looking good is out the window.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Uninstalled. You can't, of course, uninstall Star Citizen, but you can uninstall the launcher. When you do so, it actually removes the malformed registry key. It also removes its own folder. It does NOT remove:

%appdata%\RSI Launcher
%appdata%\rsilauncher (of COURSE they are separate folders, why do you ask? this is normal)

and of course it does not remove

StarCitizen\LIVE

Which is perfectly fine, most people keep 58 GB of a mentally addled caveman's lobotomy results on their drive indefinitely.

Your tests are not conclusive. Please re-install and try again. I´ll wait. :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Scruffpuff posted:

Honorable mention to the 58 GB Data.p4k that the entire game is in. The only game I've successfully seen stuff its entire dataset into a single file was Guild Wars 2, which worked fine that way, so they, like everyone else, knows something CIG doesn't. It is not generally good practice to have a single gigantic compressed file that you stream everything out of on the fly, not sure who decided that was a great idea. No wonder it took them so long to create a "delta patcher." I'm actually surprised the loading screens aren't even longer than they are.

I'm going to Äkshually you here. Doing this is actually not a bad idea because opening individual files is much, much slower than just doing skips and reads on a gigantic one. If you do the layout of your gigantic file right you can read tiny files really fast. So in dev you can have your hideous tree of shader fragments and on release it's just a giant ball of tar. Most games therefore use a virtual file system on top of one or many packed blobs of data.

Updating those blobs is pretty much a solved problem. There are file formats that operate in chunks and can be bindiffed efficiently despite being compressed, or the file format might be designed to be extended later by the updater because it's a miniature file system inside.

Again, solved problem, solved decades ago. I'm not surprised they've never heard of it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

I'm going to Äkshually you here. Doing this is actually not a bad idea because opening individual files is much, much slower than just doing skips and reads on a gigantic one. If you do the layout of your gigantic file right you can read tiny files really fast. So in dev you can have your hideous tree of shader fragments and on release it's just a giant ball of tar. Most games therefore use a virtual file system on top of one or many packed blobs of data.

Updating those blobs is pretty much a solved problem. There are file formats that operate in chunks and can be bindiffed efficiently despite being compressed, or the file format might be designed to be extended later by the updater because it's a miniature file system inside.

Again, solved problem, solved decades ago. I'm not surprised they've never heard of it.

IIRC this stems from a crytek security feature that has one well encrypted file for the game. This is why the delta patcher was such a big deal to implement?

Though in retrospect this could have been CIG buzzwords dribbling out before I was paying attention ...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Encrypting game files is dumb, so I wouldn't put it past them.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Gothsheep posted:

Inspite of Chris i think they have produced some great artwork over the years. There are definitely some very talented artists working on star citizen.

What makes it sad for me is the huge amount of effort they put in to make something that tiny bit better looking and how much they have had to rework trying to keep close to the top end graphics When the game it's all meant to be for has been completely neglected.

The generally high standard of artwork done for the project is what has enabled chris to distract the masses long enough to fleece them.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Loving the salt on the TOW question thread.

Gamerdads who would rather fly transport ships than fight people in the combat-focused mode of the space combat game:

:smith: Will there be any ToW levels that focus on troop transportation as a major part of the gameplay/strategy/combat?

Citizens who don't give a poo poo about ToW but are trying to shoehorn in a question about their favored nerd chariot!

:smith: Any chance we see the Cutlass Red in TOW ?

Some... REAL TALK! *snap snap snap*

:smith: Will there be any effort to bring back the relatively responsive, dynamic, high skill cap and fun gameplay from previous generations of patches back into SC's combat which currently feels very slow, drifty, sloppy and sluggish (for both fps and flight)?

:smith: Will we see any improvements on how ground vehicles function in ToW / PU ??
"Ground vehicles = Ballista / Cyclone / Ursa"

The overall driving experience is well below par right now..

:smith: With the other game modes in such poor shape, why would another game mode be created further taking resources away from fixing the Star Marine and Arena Commander?

:smith: Will theatres of war suffer from the same lagginess and other glitches (such as grenades that just seem to float or land at your feet as your character chucks it away or severe desync ) that Star Marine does? I don't see a point in introducing a new game mode to test combat, if it can't handle combat to begin with.

Desperately trying to rationalized this game mode as, somehow, contributing to the development of SQ42 instead of pulling resources away!

:smith: How dependent is SQ42 gameplay dependent on the outcomes measured from ToW?

And one poor bastard that hopes CIG can someday match a feat that Fortnite and many other BRs managed years ago.

:smith: Are there any plans to test 100+ players in Theatre of War?

It's such an elephant in the room...

No warning
No roadmap
No direction
Probably no reasorces
Definitely no hope for it

It's almost like there is a bunch of dudes that are so sick of doing pointless poo poo at CIG they have just started working on this side project at work to pass the day.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 28, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
If you are having problems running SC, be it bugs in the game or the launcher, please do the next:

1. create a notepad file on your desktop
2. open it and paste the following there, copy and paste the path to your SC folder into quotation marks
code:
Echo Fixing your SC installation
@RD /S /Q "path to your SC folder"
3. save it as starcitizen.bat
4. run it every time before running star citizen launcher

obviously don't do it but you can share the instruction with shartshitizens on their subreddit

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 28, 2020

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Ineffiable posted:

My friend, let me tell you about Death Stranding (coming to pc in the summer)

holy poo poo.. that's powerful

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

why do I sense another streaming session where I fall through an elevator and get stuck inside the planet on the horizon

Was that the same incident as when the elevator didn't even spawn so you walked into an empty shaft and fell a couple of meters down to a small cave with no exit?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

thank you for playing paying star citizen!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gothsheep posted:

So does Elite or NMS (depending on whether you prefer realistic or 70s sci-fi looks) or, heck, with mods even KSP. They all look pretty good, the Citizens just don't know it in search for "fidelity".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

POSTING GUIDELINES

I'm glad that CIG's rules for asking questions about the game don't apply to CIG when it comes to marketing it.

"Do not submit one question, gets votes with that question, and then reword the question or replace it with another one entirely." - Because CIG has never done a bait-and-switch with features or content.

"Do not make use of special formatting in an attempt to draw more attention, and therefore more votes, to your questions i.e. BOLD, H1, etc." - Because CIG has never spent significant resources on creating trailers purely to sell new ships, and never done celebrity impersonations for limited time sale pushes

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I see this totally professional and fully mature game development studio has placed key registry entries in the following completely normal registry location:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\81bfc699-f883-50c7-b674-2483b6baae23

It is fully and entirely customary to place your root software settings in a GUID, instead of studios that clearly don't understand game development, like Ubisoft, Valve, and Blizzard, who forego the GUID and foolishly use the name of their company to label the entry.

Even for CIG, that is pretty bad

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ErrEff posted:

I'm glad that CIG's rules for asking questions about the game don't apply to CIG when it comes to marketing it.

"Do not submit one question, gets votes with that question, and then reword the question or replace it with another one entirely." - Because CIG has never done a bait-and-switch with features or content.

"Do not make use of special formatting in an attempt to draw more attention, and therefore more votes, to your questions i.e. BOLD, H1, etc." - Because CIG has never spent significant resources on creating trailers purely to sell new ships, and never done celebrity impersonations for limited time sale pushes

mind blown

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Gothsheep posted:

An inexperienced game modder (and I mean literally having no experience whatsoever with mapping, lighting, texturing, rendering etc), could make a good looking map (or maybe impressive for the time) within a few weeks, less than a month, with tools available at the start of 2000 (I'm thinking Max Payne games here).

An experienced modder could do wonders within a few days with those old tools.

CryEngine's modding tools were even easier to use from what I recall and one could reach beautiful looking results even faster and definitely with less hassle. And that was back in 2007-2008 era.

Those would be "playable" too, in the sense that you could build them, launch them from the game and have a playable character running around, probably with other NPCs too with basic AI standing around or attacking.

And that's what one can accomplish by just working on their free time for no money whatsoever.

The most popular example would be Black Mesa (with Valve's quite poo poo modding tools at the time) showing off awesome art from the early project days.

My point is, it's not the "looking good part" that is difficult in making a game. It's not even the "playable".

It's the optimizations and support for various PC configurations and setups, the smooth gameplay, the gameplay loops, the battle choreography, the AI scripts, collision detection/ pathfinding optimizations, physics programming, fixing of major bugs and glitches, setting clear progress markers and possibly winning conditions, and a whole lots of other crap I could literally bore the thread with listing here -- and probably most people here know about these already.

Oh, and of course, setting a viable end in sight for development, when you'll have a publishable game in your hands, and move steadily towards it, making hard decisions when it seams to be slipping.

CInotG literally does the first easy part, or has done for years, while consistently failing in the latter part and using the "pre-alpha" as an excuse. It's like having E3 trailers for a game for a series of years of "look how great is going to be!!1" while at the same time delivering broken as poo poo "gameplay". It's why they stopped doing E3's because most sane people realized what a joke and/or scam this is. It's also why they stopped giving dates and moving to "when it's done". A model that is justified for a mod project or maybe a struggling indie studio but is laughable when we're talking about a company that has been given more than $200 millions and has missed all deadlines they've set publicly to date.

:reddit: "Oh but look! This year's 'Con trailer/ demo still shows awesome stuff, so clearly they have accomplished more than they give us. Guys, let's pledge more to make this possible."

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 28, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not touching the poop, anyone asking if the equipment ToW is dependant on the ships etc you bought pledged for or if everyone starts off equal?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Extra comedy detail: Theaters of War is not on the loving roadmap.

Now that is loving comedy.

All together now: Most open development EVER!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've just realized something.

ToW is just an anagram of WoT, that is, Wheel of Time.

Now pay attention to the intro to the books.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

A few small tweaks and it could be an analogy for Star Citizen's development!

Are CIG trying to tell us something?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

I think they're trying their best avoid telling anyone anything.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

jarlywarly posted:

I think they're trying their best avoid telling anyone anything.

By making so much noise you can't hear the defining silence of the message.... We don't make games

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gothsheep posted:

Oh, yeah, beautiful plumage on the Norweigan Blue. It’s just resting.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SoftNum posted:

Isn't there supposedly a second system in the game but you can't go there?

Nope, their super-advanced crytek starengine-based servers have to load the entirety of location assets so there is no way for them to handle an extra system. Citizens are waiting for the revolutionary SSOCS for the servers to do such witchery.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Agony Aunt posted:

The Wheel of Time series became bogged down with unrestrained scope (plot and character) creep and was a punchline for sprawling overlarge fantasy epics. It was only finished after Jordan died and they brought in Brandon Sanderson (a machine who cranks out fantasy novels pretty regularly) to finish the last book. There was so much that needed to be tied up and resolved that it ended up being split into a trilogy.

There are some Freelancer parallels here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Agony Aunt posted:

Crobberts has a weird rear end view of women and will die before this is done? Yes, yes CIG does.