Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Popete posted:

Someone forward that mod to the FBI.

You’ll need to forward them a decent tutorial too or they’ll never figure out how to play TOAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

I'm simultaneously proud and ashamed of the internet bureaucracy I spawned.

I should post the final Steverfire.mdb from CW for laughs.

:un:

Your internet bureaucracy was one of the most entertaining things I've ever had the good fortune to be able to play/participate in! Thanks again for that! :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the idea is it'll probably run less like dogshit since the original game is written in some ancient version of VB6 or something.

Ancient VB6, bunch of dependencies on libraries that are old; heavy reliance on mdac.

Edit: when running through wine, you’re using a win ‘98 level setup.

pthighs posted:

Aurora is simpler than WitP - the scale starts out fairly small, so there's no crazy first turn shenanigans.

If you've played CMANO/CMO it is similar in that you get some forms with a bunch of combo boxes and check boxes and stuff.

It gets more complex as your empire grows, but you've had time to grasp what's happening. The difficult/time consuming part is learning all the tricks to designing ships and stuff but there are wikis for that.

Couple of early gotchas; There’s a cull of officers after five years who aren’t positioned. Don’t expand until you can fight back. You have to build an industrial base in your home system fairly quickly.

Pretty drat close to ‘Expanse the game’, though.

Edit the second: distant worlds has similar levels of complexity with a slightly better interface...

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 27, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does anyone have any experience with WITP running running very slowly on what should be perfectly capable hardware? I'm talking about taking anywhere between 3 to 5 seconds for a mouse-click to register or for the map to pan after scrolling the mouse cursor to the screen-edge.

I thought at first it was because I was trying to run it on an entry-level laptop, but I've tried it on my new six-core desktop with lots of RAM and it's still doing that, despite also running perfectly fine on a quad-core from seven years ago

I've tried mucking around with the command-line switches, but nothing seems to help, and frankly I don't know what's supposed to help in the first place. The only thing I can think of is maybe the game likes really high clocks?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

does anyone have any experience with WITP running running very slowly on what should be perfectly capable hardware? I'm talking about taking anywhere between 3 to 5 seconds for a mouse-click to register or for the map to pan after scrolling the mouse cursor to the screen-edge.

I thought at first it was because I was trying to run it on an entry-level laptop, but I've tried it on my new six-core desktop with lots of RAM and it's still doing that, despite also running perfectly fine on a quad-core from seven years ago

I've tried mucking around with the command-line switches, but nothing seems to help, and frankly I don't know what's supposed to help in the first place. The only thing I can think of is maybe the game likes really high clocks?

Yes! I solved it on mine with some kind of command line thing, like "-cpu2" or something along those lines. I can't access the matrix forums from my current computer but that's the general idea. I think it is something like telling the program to just run one one core?

It seriously cut the time of each day down by like 2/3rds.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Try -multiaudio , that was the one that fixed a ton of lag for me

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's almost certainly solvable through a command switch, just finding which might be a challenge. Keep looking around the matrix forums, a lot of the switches are poorly is at all documented event thought they are literally necessary for most modern systems.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Also does it make a difference windowed or not?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes! What I'm seeing is that the game runs fine until I run a turn. Once the turn plays out and I'm back in the interface, it is just as you describe. 3-5 second delays on every click, slow map scroll, etc. I exit the game, load the save, and it's back to normal. Run a turn and it lags again. Rinse/repeat. Doesn't matter the scenario either... It does it in Coral Sea or Grand Campaign scenarios.

I'll try some of the command switches, maybe tonight, and see what I find. Pretty sure I have the -cpu one in there, but deffo not the audio one. I'm running mine windowed.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
How micro-manage-y is Scourge of War Waterloo? I’m finally getting around to reading Swords Around a Throne and am itching for some Napoleonic gaming but pickings are thin. Still hoping that we get Ultimate General: Napoleon some day...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There is a pdf in the witpae folder somewhere called 'new xyz' or something along those lines that describes the command switches.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

How micro-manage-y is Scourge of War Waterloo? I’m finally getting around to reading Swords Around a Throne and am itching for some Napoleonic gaming but pickings are thin. Still hoping that we get Ultimate General: Napoleon some day...

I still prefer take command over scourge of war.

But in the end I always go back to heavily modified Napoleon Total War to get my musket age fix.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Saros posted:

There is a pdf in the witpae folder somewhere called 'new xyz' or something along those lines that describes the command switches.

while on the subject, Saros I miss that guadalcanal LP :(

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Abongination posted:

I still prefer take command over scourge of war.

But in the end I always go back to heavily modified Napoleon Total War to get my musket age fix.

I was thinking about doing the same again soon. What mods do you use?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Flavius Aetass posted:

I was thinking about doing the same again soon. What mods do you use?

I've got LME installed and it's great for single player but old now.

I'm having a look and the Napoleon Total War III mod is up to version 8.x now which is crazy so might have outpaced LME?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Scourge of war is very good it's just a shame it runs poorly

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Scourge of war is very good it's just a shame it runs poorly

Hmmm could that be a hardware issue?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

Hmmm could that be a hardware issue?

The ram perhaps

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

I'm already drafting OP ideas :jeb:

I may as well solicit some thoughts from fellow grogs, what style of LP do people think Aurora LP's run best with? I'm thinking a proper Aurora game Coldest War style than the more focused ones we've had more recently.

-When there are 'Mandarin' type players with areas of responsibility and the thread just votes on bigger/political decisions?
-Parlimentary type LP's where people propose/vote on acts and the like.
-Other crazy ideas I havent come up with.

Aurora totally has a UI it's just a game entirely from the mind of a British man who spent his adult life coding accounting software. So uh yeah it somewhat unsurprisingly looks exactly like a windows 98 spreadsheet.

Like many others have said, I would be interested in an informative Aurora LP, but right when the C# version comes out may not be the best time. There’s bound to be lots of tweaking and bug fixing at first.

I think something where we all get to play together and make hilarious mistakes would be better for a “new” game so parliamentary would be good. Maybe running on 5 year plans or an accelerated start because it takes so long to accomplish anything at first. Plus that will give more time for mistakes to snowball into fun problems.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Silent Hunter 4 with TMO mod. I finally got a good solution on target and both my torpedos just passed right thru the enemy ship. Am I missing something? The first torpedo I forgot to change the depth so it was riding pretty high in the water, pretty sure it was well above keel depth, second torp was above 10 feet which should have been more than enough for this ship. Is this common with lovely U.S. torpedoes or did I run into some kinda bug? They kept on going after moving thru the ship and I had them set to high speed and contact fuse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Silent Hunter 4 with TMO mod. I finally got a good solution on target and both my torpedos just passed right thru the enemy ship. Am I missing something? The first torpedo I forgot to change the depth so it was riding pretty high in the water, pretty sure it was well above keel depth, second torp was above 10 feet which should have been more than enough for this ship. Is this common with lovely U.S. torpedoes or did I run into some kinda bug? They kept on going after moving thru the ship and I had them set to high speed and contact fuse.

what do you mean by "passed through"?

either they hit the ship without detonating, which is a problem with contact fuses when hitting hulls at right angles. This was a historical problem caused by the contact fuses being made of aluminium, which was weak enough that if it hit a target with too much force (i.e., head-on), the fuse would get crushed without ever going off.

or they passed under the ship, which is a problem with the torpedo running deeper than the actual depth setting you set and causing the torpedo to just shoot right underneath the target. This was a historical problem caused by the torpedoes being heavier when laden with explosives than when they were tested while filled with concrete, which caused depth settings to be inaccurate / incorrectly-calibrated

(there are other problems, namely with magnetic detonators, but you already said you were using contact fuses)

if it's the latter, try to get a 45 degree angle on the target:

This is, of course, somewhat trickier, since everything you're taught as a skipper tells you that right-angle attacks are easier and more accurate

if it's the latter, then set your torpedo depth to be even shallower than it should be. If I recall correctly, torpedoes would run anywhere from 10 to 15 feet too deep relative to what they were set to on the TDC. If this causes your torpedo to run at zero feet, then so be it. That said, if the torpedo breaches the water's surface, which can happen in rough waters/bad weather, then it may go off prematurely.

if you're caught between torpedoes running so shallow that they keep broaching and detonating prematurely, and torpedoes running so deep that they pass underneath the target... welcome to the authentic pre-1943 fleet boat skipper experience

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I fired 3 torpedos from the aft tubes at about a 90 degree angle. 2 of them passed directly thru the ship and just kept on going no detonation and one missed. They were both set above 10 ft on the TDC, the first one as I mentioned was left at default depth so maybe 5 feet. Does SH4 or TMO model failed detonators? If so do the torpedoes hit the hull and sink or do they just keep moving forward as if nothing happened? That's what I'm trying to figure out, did I just get unlucky and have 2 duds or was my depth too deep.

Also thanks for the nice write up, that's good info to keep in mind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
SH4 does model all of the problems I described:

contact-detonator torpedoes will fail to detonate if they hit at right angles
torpedoes will run deeper than the TDC's depth setting
torpedoes will detonate prematurely if they broach the water's surface
magnetic-detonator torpedoes will fail to detonate even when they correctly pass underneath a ship
magnetic-detonator torpedoes will sometimes just randomly prematurely detonate (because the detonator thinks that the iron on the ocean surface is a target, or something like that)

all of these problems will eventually be fixed as you progress in the campaign, and should be completely fixed by 1943, or if you turn off the realistic torpedo duds gameplay setting

if you want, you can use Mark 10 torpedoes, which have much more reliable contact fuses, but it's technically ahistorical to load them onto a fleet boat, as they were really only designed to be used with the smaller S-boats

premature detonations can be spotted from the periscope if you're watching the progress of your fish that way

if it's a detonator that fails to go off, you can use the action camera/external camera to see the torpedo physically impact the side of the ship, not explode, come to a complete halt, and sink into the depths

if it's a torpedo that runs too deep, you can again use the action camera/external camera to see the torpedo physically fail to connect with the ship altogether

if you don't have either of those settings enabled, then you can't see what happens to the torpedoes, and you can only guess at what happened if the Time-to-Detonate passes on your stopwatch and nothing happens

finally, if you're watching the torp, and you see it pass through the ship like a ghost / no-clip through the ship, I'd say that's a bug

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have both the action and external camera enabled. I'm guessing it probably just ran under the keel even though I had the depth quite shallow, as both torpedoes just kept running "thru" the ship although I didn't look at the action camera when they would have hit the ship so I didn't explicitly see if they were running underneath.

I was thinking perhaps I had forgotten to set some detonator activation or something but that doesn't appear to be the case. Thanks again for the info, I'm playing pretty much with full realism (besides external cameras) so a lot of this stuff is new to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nothing is worse than sitting at your hydrophone waiting for an earth Hull-shattering Ka-BOOM and hearing nothing but a dull klaannng.

:negative:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
When I played SH4 with TMO and RSRD or whatever I learned very quickly not to use the magnetic fuses or whatever. I sent all 4 of my front tubes at that Japanese CA that has a hangar or something on the back end and every one of the torps popped like 30 yards away. Run contact fuses at like 0-1m of depth is my advice. At least for the first year or two.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just Ram.

Phi230 posted:

I wouldn't use magnetic fuses until like mid 1943
also, lol.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Just Ram.

also, lol.

God damnit I swore I posted that in here

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Should I be posting my Silent Hunter questions in C-Spam?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Popete posted:

Should I be posting my Silent Hunter questions in C-Spam?

:wow:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

It's about as micro-managey as you want it to be. If you want to you dont have to control any units at all, you can just set them to AI control and then sit back and watch the armies crash into each other while doing nothing more than giving some units a nudge in the right direction here and there, either at the brigade or divisional level.

Or you can be obsessive and try to micromanage every single regiment, which is a pain in the rear end. The game isn't really meant to be played that way though.

I really liked scourge of war waterloo. If you're really into napoleonic stuff I'd say its worth a try. Their Gettysburg game was not as good. It ran like poo poo and had some other problems. Waterloo fixed some of the issues and still runs like poo poo, but slightly less so, at least for me.

I liked take command: 2nd manassas too. I dont know why that game runs really well but their newer games run like total garbage

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The trailer for Waterloo is pretty amusing. It's like Animation Frame Drop the game.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I liked take command: 2nd manassas too. I dont know why that game runs really well but their newer games run like total garbage

There was a infamous split between the devs, great write up on it here, though considering the programming guy continued to make scourge you think it would at least run.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/21/3996460/civil-war-mad-minute

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 31, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have advice for AGEOD? I've just completed the tutorials for Rise of Prussia, taking copious notes along the way, and are just about ready to jump headlong into a real game. I think the thread consensus way back when was that RoP was the simplest of the lot, since the scope is rather small and there's no production to worry about, but I did just buy all of the rest of them except To End All Wars over the various sales over the years.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Talking about Napoleon Total War made me go and play a bunch of it, it really is pretty with mods on still, especially the naval stuff.

Having just finished construction of the Turkish grant battle fleet I was itching to test it out, their only action so far had been capturing two 50 gun Russian ships to secure the black sea. The Austrian fleet has grown so large that their docks cannot contain it, time for a quick smash and grab.

Fight started well with lines facing off and me making moves to gain the wind.

However it quickly disintegrated into a confused melee.

Ships on fire, routing, surrendering and sometimes rejoining the battle.

But I've done it, the last two Austrian ships make a break for it, heavily damaged and pursued by my entire force, we've effectively doubled the size of the fleet with this engagement!

Wait.....what?

gently caress.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The naval combat in TW games has never been particularly good but it looked gorgeous in Napoleon. It's such a fantastic title in the series and I'm sad they haven't gone back to the age of gunpowder again. Feels like there is a lot more they could do there.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Napoleon has the really good Gordon at Khartoum mod as well that has footage of Charleton Heston in it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Abongination posted:

Fight started well with lines facing off

[...]

However it quickly disintegrated into a confused melee.

Oh hey you just described every one of my battles in every total war game

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone have advice for AGEOD? I've just completed the tutorials for Rise of Prussia, taking copious notes along the way, and are just about ready to jump headlong into a real game. I think the thread consensus way back when was that RoP was the simplest of the lot, since the scope is rather small and there's no production to worry about, but I did just buy all of the rest of them except To End All Wars over the various sales over the years.

Build depot battalions to get replacements. RoP is the only AGEOD game that uses this system, but never says it in the manual.

Something else that isn't in the manual: most of the Prussian nationalities can command most of the others without CP penalty. Prussians can command Brunswickers and Hanoverians just fine for example, but get penalties with British and Hessian units. The full list is:

code:

FRA FRA
GBR GBR|HAN
RUS RUS
AUS AUS|SAX
PRU PRU|HAN|BRU
HAN HAN|PRU|HES|BRU
SAX SAX|AUS|PRU|HRE
SWE SWE
HRE HRE|HES|MEK|BAV|WUR|OLD|NAS|SAX
HES HES|HRE
SPA SPA|FRA
BAV BAV|HRE
WUR WUR|HRE
BRU BRU|PRU|HAN|HES|GBR
PAL PAL|HRE
NED NED
TUR TUR
POL POL
DEN DEN
RUP RUP

Stay on towns during winter as much as possible. Winter attrition is no joke.

If you're playing the Gold edition, spam the requisition and draft options as much as possible, especially requisitions as Austria and draft as Prussia.

There is a gigantic bug(?) in the single player full campaign that locks the main Russian army into the Polish province in which it spawns. You'll have to manually change the MemelLanding event in the events file to match the multiplayer event if you want either yourself or the AI to invade East Prussia.

dublish fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

fuf posted:

Oh hey you just described every one of my battles in every total war game

I think that's just "battle"