Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I was really hoping that Schiff would have tried to get under Piss Baby's skin by saying "Hes running the country like a business, and like most of his businesses', hes failing miserably"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We had the opportunity to move to Charleston from a western state a few years back. We genuinely liked the city, but the people freaked us the gently caress out. The company courting my wife was 100% segregated. No one said anything explicitly racist, but they didn't have to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Taerkar posted:

He is the least racist president ever.
Just like he's the most LGBT friendly president ever!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

We had the opportunity to move to Charleston from a western state a few years back. We genuinely liked the city, but the people freaked us the gently caress out. The company courting my wife was 100% segregated. No one said anything explicitly racist, but they didn't have to.

It's really weird how many people will walk into a space that is de facto segregated and not even pick up on the total homogeneity. Like any time anyone finds themselves in a room that is all white or whatever alarm bells should be going off because that poo poo never just happens incidentally.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mystes posted:

Just like he's the most LGBT friendly president ever!

He had a flag!!!1

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

friendbot2000 posted:

The secret is that she isnt actually a Democrat
Neera Tanden is more of a Democrat than almost anyone itt. She's basically the concentrated id of the establishment wing of the party.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's really weird how many people will walk into a space that is de facto segregated and not even pick up on the total homogeneity. Like any time anyone finds themselves in a room that is all white or whatever alarm bells should be going off because that poo poo never just happens incidentally.

That's me every time I go outside because the entire state of Colorado is Wakanda for white people.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

T. Bombastus posted:

Neera Tanden is more of a Democrat than almost anyone itt. She's basically the concentrated id of the establishment wing of the party.

I think this is more of a separation of what people think democrats are vs what the establishment actually is.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

i am harry posted:

That's me every time I go outside because the entire state of Colorado is Wakanda for white people.

Whitekanda Forever :v:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/VickyPJWard/status/1222157991492886528

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Like any time anyone finds themselves in a room that is all white or whatever alarm bells should be going off because that poo poo never just happens incidentally.

That seems like a bit of a reach. But that might just be me not living in the US

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, segregation isn’t as much a Charleston thing as it’s a southern thing. It’s also a very poor representation of SC, as it’s probably the bluest (purple) part of the state. If you’ve been to Charleston, it’s a cool city, but you haven’t seen South Carolina. Most the white people here are from out of state (read: Ohio/Pennsylvania). I am sorry we freaked you out though.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CyberPingu posted:

That seems like a bit of a reach. But that might just be me not living in the US

I'd say it's definitely true for me, living in NYC. In a city as diverse as this, anytime the room is all white it's by design.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Behind the Bastards is doing a 2-parter on the bastards who killed the Black Panthers.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-bastards-who-killed-56505454/

Check it out, especially fellow white-folks who's knowledge of the Black Panthers comes entirely from 2 scenes in Forrest Gump.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I don't understand why these sorts of juxtaposed tweets occur so much. I'm biased and just so happen to find this funny and all, but aren't people allowed to change their mind? I'm torn between my empathetic Cancer Moon tendencies and hating Graham so much I sometimes wonder why he wont spontaneously combust from all of my passionate abhorrence of his existence.

Please don't tear into me too much. I'm grasping for humanity and spirituality anywhere I can. It's been rough lately.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Don Lemon hurt all of the feelings.

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1222141792319045632?s=19

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't understand why these sorts of juxtaposed tweets occur so much. I'm biased and just so happen to find this funny and all, but aren't people allowed to change their mind? I'm torn between my empathetic Cancer Moon tendencies and hating Graham so much I sometimes wonder why he wont spontaneously combust from all of my passionate abhorrence of his existence.

Please don't tear into me too much. I'm grasping for humanity and spirituality anywhere I can. It's been rough lately.

It's not so much that they've changed their mind it's rather how sharply they flip between the two. This isn't a one time thing, it's pure opportunism by them as they hold no interests or views higher than their own power and influence.

They have no real deeply held beliefs other than that they should be the ones in charge. Aside maybe from evangelicalism or hyper capitalism

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 28, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Trump cried himself to sleep, didn't he? Jesus, what a loving joke that people see a strongman in this dipshit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

I also believe change and growth is possible. Look at Gov Northam, trying to learn from his blackface scandal and being assigned the Case for Reparations and Roots as homework. But it isn't enough to say "I used to believe that, now I don't." You have to explain why, you have to repudiate that former position, and display some sort of contrition or sincere belief that you were wrong and new info has changed your mind, not that you simply changed to follow the winds.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CmdrRiker posted:

It's more this: what, exactly, has Trump done to DISPROVE some of the things Graham accused him of during the primary? If he was unfit to lead then, and a liar and a conman, what concrete things has he done in the intervening years to make Graham completely flip on his view of Trump besides wield the power of the presidency? Absolutely nothing, right? If anything, he's gone about proving every one of his detractors right over and over again ever since. Yet now Graham thinks he's fine as can be. I wonder why?

That's more than simply changing one's mind. It's bootlicking of the most loathsome sort, since he's doing it to try and gain power from a white nationalist authoritarian. He, the one who mashed the DECORUM button for years alongside McCain. He can get hosed. And I think, based on my reasoning herein, I am 100% fine with my morality on the subject and have held him to a fair standard.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also with Graham specifically, he was very consistently critical of Trump all the way through the primaries and even the GE. Then he had a private round of golf with Trump and eer since then, he has literally been the first and loudest voice in the room to praise Trump or to dismiss any criticism. So, either Trump is just incredibly charismatic and possesses superhuman charm, or he has receipts that Graham can't afford to be public.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Helen Highwater posted:

So, either Trump is just incredibly charismatic and possesses superhuman charm, or he has receipts that Graham can't afford to be public.

Well, we know the former isn't true, we know the later probably is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Helen Highwater posted:

Also with Graham specifically, he was very consistently critical of Trump all the way through the primaries and even the GE. Then he had a private round of golf with Trump and eer since then, he has literally been the first and loudest voice in the room to praise Trump or to dismiss any criticism. So, either Trump is just incredibly charismatic and possesses superhuman charm, or he has receipts that Graham can't afford to be public.

it's because Graham's a coward, dude. He thought Trump was gonna lose so he positioned himself as mr 'I warned us, I knew he was a dangerous choice' and then Trump won and he went bootlicker in an instant.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Don Lemon and guests were laughing at Trump on TV and Mr Big Strong President man got his feelings hurt.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222028267865223170?s=19

I don't know about you guys but I do think there is a segment of trump's base that are like that. I mean c'mon. They voted for trump so obviously they aren't making good decisions in the first place. I love how all the people in the comments make it sound like it was an overwhelming victory on the part of trump when the reality is he was barely able to squeak by when facing the worst of the worst in a situation when the election is tilted in his favor.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Helen Highwater posted:

Didn't his flipping really kick into high gear when the writing was on the wall for McCain?

It would fit the "political pilot fish" framing of things for him to switch allegiances the instant his friendship with McCain started to show signs of no longer being able to deliver him a ticket to the media spotlight.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Him and Trump have something in common to talk about then. :hfive:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shrecknet posted:

Is :foxnews: designed to protect a GOP President, or the GOP? Because I think soon (like in the next day or so) the calculus will shift and the Murdochs will realize they can Otherize Trump as an aberration and Pence's 'steady grandpa' vibe can let them ride out the first term and just paint Trump as a non-GOP entity. The CHUDs have nowhere else to go, Trump isn't gonna do the work of starting a competing conservative network, he's just gonna piss and moan on Twitter. If FOX commits 100% to exhalting Pence 24/7 as the best ever restoring honor to the office while damnatio memoriaeing Trump, I think it could work. Conservatives fall in line, remember?

I mean, people have been "Any Day Now"-ing Fox news basically since this whole Ukraine thing first dropped. I'll believe it when I see it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/postlocal/status/1222132080995459072

Inject this right into my loving veins.

quote:

RICHMOND — One Republican delegate warns that Virginia is splitting in two. Another would support returning liberal Arlington and Alexandria to the District of Columbia. Lawmakers in West Virginia have offered to annex rural Frederick County, outside Winchester, to liberate it from its rapidly urbanizing home.

The change that Democrats promised in last fall’s election campaigns is hitting Richmond with full force, casting new light on political and cultural divisions that have simmered for years. As leaders quickly advance gun control, women’s rights and LGBTQ protections, many Republicans charge that they’re trampling on the interests of a new minority: rural conservatives who long held sway in the Capitol.

“We don’t need one part of Virginia pitted against another just because of a political agenda,” House Minority Leader Todd Gilbert (R-Shenandoah) said. Last week’s massive gun rights rally was the rawest reaction yet to the demographic shifts turning Virginia from red to blue. While the state’s electorate has been tilting Democratic for more than a decade, this year’s General Assembly session shows what consolidated power looks like, with blue majorities in the legislature joining forces with Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam.

The abrupt change is playing out in ways large and small. Democrats grabbed national attention for approving the Equal Rights Amendment, while also changing the pronouns in official House rules from “he/him” to “she/her.” The weekly “Speaker’s Bible study” has become an “interfaith devotional” that kicked off with a rabbi. The word “Militia” is gone from the name of the House Public Safety Committee.

Democrats say the changes are meant to be more inclusive. “We’re telling people, ‘Yes, you belong here, you have someone you can relate to here,’ ” said Del. Danica A. Roem (D-Prince William), Virginia’s first openly transgender state lawmaker. Women and minorities have vaulted into historic positions of power. Beyond the first female Speaker and House majority leader, African Americans chair seven of the 14 standing House committees, including the powerful Appropriations Committee that controls state purse strings.

Regionally, the shift is equally striking. In both the House and Senate, Democrats from the D.C. suburbs control the majority of committee chairmanships; under Republicans, the powerful jobs were distributed to lawmakers from all over the state, with a tilt toward rural areas.

The upshot is that white men from red parts of Virginia hold less power this year than any time since Reconstruction.

In a sense, the change addresses old imbalances — and not just racial ones. Northern Virginia has never had positions of influence equal to its proportion of the state’s population and wealth, particularly in the House of Delegates. And Republicans over the past quarter-century have used their majorities to pass measures that Democrats found extreme, such as requiring ultrasounds before abortions or undoing any hint of restrictions on guns.

The Senate, which has flipped control more often than the House, has made the transition fairly smoothly — though Republicans complained that no members from the mountainous southwest are part of the powerful Finance Committee. Northam’s predecessor, Terry McAuliffe (D), vetoed more bills than any governor in state history in what he called a “brick wall” against the excesses of a Republican-controlled legislature.
In the House, which was under GOP control for 24 years, the shift has been painful. Former House speaker Kirk Cox (R-Colonial Heights) opted not to take over as minority leader and sits quietly during floor sessions, grimacing and whispering with colleagues.

Del. Robert D. Orrock Sr. (R-Caroline), the GOP’s master of parliamentary rules, routinely bounces to his feet to challenge Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn (D-Fairfax) on what he says are procedural errors. Gilbert, the minority leader, lectured the new leadership in an extraordinary speech Jan. 17.

“I realize this is a jubilant time for Democrats,” Gilbert said, while warning of “growing concern about how we are functioning as an institution.” The pace of taking up bills was too slow, he said, pointing out that the session would be 14 days old before the first measures were likely to pass out of the House. Committees have canceled meetings, he noted, and legislative aides complained of low morale. The session “seems slow, it seems awkward and it doesn’t seem like it is getting any better,” he said.

Filler-Corn responded with a frosty promise that work will be done on time. And Del. Luke E. Torian (D-Prince William), the first African American to chair the Appropriations Committee, angrily instructed Gilbert not to “single us out as though we are lazy.”

Privately, many Democrats said they bristled at the optics of Gilbert, a white man, seeming to question the competence of female and black leaders.The phenomenon repeated Monday when Gilbert led an attack on a bill loosening abortion restrictions as a large crowd of women waited in the House gallery to witness final passage of the ERA. Lobbing repeated questions at House Majority Leader Charniele L. Herring (D-Alexandria), the bill’s sponsor, Gilbert at one point suggested she had missed something because she was consulting a colleague.

“I am standing here on my own,” Herring shot back. Filler-Corn soon cut off debate. The abortion rights bill advanced, and then the House approved the ERA bill.

Some Republicans say Democrats are abusing their new power.

“When you feel like one side dictates all the terms, I do think it exacerbates . . . differences in ways that are unhealthy,” said Del. Nicholas J. Freitas (R-Culpeper).

“I really think it’s going to just build in the weeks ahead as we see pretty dramatic policy shifts in areas that relate to business, taxation . . . abortion [and] other things,” said Del. David A. LaRock (R-Loudoun).

The lonely battle of the last GOP lawmaker from close-in Northern Virginia

Earlier this month, with one eye on history and the other on the gun rights movement sweeping across Virginia, Republicans in the West Virginia legislature advanced a resolution inviting neighboring Frederick County to cross the border and join the mountain state. Such an offer had technically been on the table since the Civil War, when West Virginia broke away from Richmond rather than secede.

“West Virginia has a very strong tradition of being jealous and guarding individual liberties, including those that are protected by the Second Amendment,” West Virginia state Sen. Charles S. Trump IV, who sponsored the resolution, said in an interview.

While no one in Richmond seems keen on the idea, the proposal got LaRock thinking about how Alexandria and Arlington were originally included in the District of Columbia, until changing laws on slavery caused them to leave in the 1840s.

Maybe, he told a local newspaper, they should go back.

There are “dramatically different values” in Arlington and Alexandria than other parts of Virginia, LaRock said in an interview with The Washington Post. While the idea initially was just to illustrate “general dissatisfaction” with changes in Richmond, LaRock said he’s half-serious about it.

“If I saw a proposal that was widely accepted by many, many others and was the most peaceful way to reconcile some of the situations now that are kind of beginning to build, I would entertain that possibility,” he said.

But the problem for Republicans is that the values LaRock sees in Arlington and Alexandria have spread throughout the state. In last fall’s elections, it was suburban districts in places such as Prince William County, Chesterfield County outside Richmond and parts of Hampton Roads that gave Democrats their majorities in the legislature.

“This is them realizing and being disappointed that they didn’t get more votes than they did,” Del. Jerrauld C. “Jay” Jones (D-Norfolk) said. “We are executing the will of the people of Virginia who came out to the ballot box.” Northam, who has become the focus of rage from pro-gun activists for his promise of gun control, said through a spokeswoman that his agenda is more in step with the values of people across the state.

“Virginians have long supported things like universal background checks, ending the attacks on women’s rights, and ensuring workers can support themselves and their families,” the governor said in a written statement. “The difference is now, our legislature is finally listening.”

It’s ironic that Northam — who hails from the Eastern Shore and used to vote for Republicans — has become the bane of conservatives. When he ran for governor in 2017, some Democrats worried his rural roots and country accent would alienate suburban voters.
The day after the Richmond gun rally, Northam appeared in Franklin County in far Southwest Virginia — a place that has declared itself a Second Amendment sanctuary — to tout a business that was expanding. The next day, he announced a series of grants to expand rural broadband.

But his agenda for the coming weeks of the session is unabashedly blue. Even before Democrats have finished approving gun-control bills, they will move on to measures that expand voter access and ban discrimination against LGBTQ people. Democrats in the legislature also hope to raise the minimum wage, decriminalize marijuana, eliminate cash bail and more.

Roem, who in only her second term is now the first openly transgender person to chair a subcommittee, said Republicans need to get over it.

“Keep in mind that those of us from Northern Virginia had to very much live with a state that was run in large part by people from places outside of Northern Virginia for a long time,” she said.

Now that the state’s most populous and wealthy region is in charge, she said, the message isn’t separation; it’s inclusion.

“We’re just reflective of where we are as a commonwealth,” Roem said. “That doesn’t change the fact that we have different parties, different regions, different values. . . . Everyone just needs to learn how to coexist.”

CRY MORE ABOUT IT YOU FASCIST PIGS FOR WE SIT ON THE THRONE OF GLORY. gently caress YEAH THIS IS DELICIOUS

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

Absolutely, people are allowed to change their mind, but that means you believe the person is operating in good faith. It's often difficult to tell when someone is operating in good faith, see for example trolling or sealioning. With Graham, we know he's not operating in good faith.

Good on you for trying to see humanity where you can find it. But don't let yourself get played, that'll just make it worse.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

friendbot2000 posted:

CRY MORE ABOUT IT YOU FASCIST PIGS FOR WE SIT ON THE THRONE OF GLORY. gently caress YEAH THIS IS DELICIOUS

"We don’t need one part of Virginia pitted against another just because of a political agenda,” House Minority Leader Todd Gilbert (R-Shenandoah) said."

infinitely expanding :ironicat:

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

it's because Graham's a coward, dude. He thought Trump was gonna lose so he positioned himself as mr 'I warned us, I knew he was a dangerous choice' and then Trump won and he went bootlicker in an instant.
This is right, and it's the answer to CmdrRiker's question too. Yeah people are allowed to change their minds, but in this case it's so obvious that Graham changed his mind bc he's a weak freak.

We're not calling Graham out for changing his mind; we're holding that change up as evidence that he is craven and amoral.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

"We don’t need one part of Virginia pitted against another just because of a political agenda,” House Minority Leader Todd Gilbert (R-Shenandoah) said."

infinitely expanding :ironicat:

It is all projection. The hegemony of the VAGOP has been shattered because they went all-in on being the state party of Corey Stewart and now they have nothing left. Man, this loving sustains me on a level you dont even fuckin know. I wish I could bottle their goddamn tears. gently caress all of them. The state party is in complete shambles and watching them circle the drain has been a real fuckin treat

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

friendbot2000 posted:

It is all projection. The hegemony of the VAGOP has been shattered because they went all-in on being the state party of Corey Stewart and now they have nothing left. Man, this loving sustains me on a level you dont even fuckin know. I wish I could bottle their goddamn tears. gently caress all of them. The state party is in complete shambles and watching them circle the drain has been a real fuckin treat

Has Virginia been turnout, or is it mostly that demographics changed due to more people living in the DC suburbs?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

One Republican delegate warns that Virginia is splitting in two.

You guys are being very rude to the time traveler from the year 1861

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

Has Virginia been turnout, or is it mostly that demographics changed due to more people living in the DC suburbs?

Both. It's the best example of a genuinely red-purple-blue shift in this era, I think.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

that article owns and thank you for posting it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don Lemon should have a signature catch phrase whenever Republicans whine about him: "You can go suck a lemon"

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

theflyingorc posted:

Both. Plus a uniquely powerful energy from people who rely on government work who realize a system based on graft is unsustainable. NoVA was all the way in on Hillary in 2016. The turnout component is progressive activism but the pearl clutchers/Aaron Sorkin cosplayers alll are sick of Trumpian instability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Considering that corruption itself likely was the U.S. administration's long-anticipated Middle East plan, this is less a shocking turn of events and more of a mild spoiler.