Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
We are trying to judge at least 4 major storylines of an exceptionally large and detailed universe by a 40 minute episode that had sightseeing at least 1/4 of it, cmon :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Brawnfire posted:

That could be interesting. Your empire massively depopulated and the Borg defanged, it would be appealing to try to "reclaim" some of those taken in order to flesh things out a bit.

Remember as well, multiple Romulan colonies were taken by the Borg before Q Who. There are potentially millions of Romulan drones out there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait the RLM guys said Picard and Data weren't friends. Everyone on the goddamn ship was friends, that's what people like about it

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Angry Salami posted:

Is the setup that complicated? Starfleet put together a huge evacuation fleet, it got blown up with the rest of the shipyards, the Federation decided 'screw that, we're not putting together a second fleet just to save the Romulans, besides, we need to deal with these rogue synths', Romulus goes kaboom. Does the exact timeline of how long building an evacuation fleet took matter?

Lizard Combatant posted:

We're given an explanation as to why it was scrapped in the micro ("shipyard attack"/"allocation of resources to an old adversary") but not the macro, as to what caused this shift in Federation ideology that this is the response to a setback, or why they even needed convincing before the shipyard attack.

That's what I think people are taking issue with, it's a major change that I suspect will never be addressed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Personally I’m surprised that they did a Re:View already. With Discovery they did one partway through the first season, after the first season, and after the second season.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lizard Combatant posted:

but not the macro

I'd wait for at least an episode or two more and how it will (or will not) unfold. All I see for now is one episode with bunch of possible storylines and it is unfair to SirPatStew (who is an Executive producer for 11! episodes as per imdb) to even judge about what they might did wrong and what they did right. We just don't know it yet, we have no base to stand on besides knowing Picard's character to some extent and the setting.
We might get an explanation or even in-depth story about that. Or we might not.
For now we have that comic with some fanservice nerdy info is somewhat bad worldbuilding but totally acceptable in terms of storytelling.

Im more scared that Federation corrupt, Federation bad will be the main theme of the whole season.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I'd wait for at least an episode or two more and how it will (or will not) unfold. All I see for now is one episode with bunch of possible storylines and it is unfair to SirPatStew (who is an Executive producer for 11! episodes as per imdb) to even judge about what they might did wrong and what they did right. We just don't know it yet, we have no base to stand on besides knowing Picard's character to some extent and the setting.
We might get an explanation or even in-depth story about that. Or we might not.
For now we have that comic with some fanservice nerdy info is somewhat bad worldbuilding but totally acceptable in terms of storytelling.

Im more scared that Federation corrupt, Federation bad will be the main theme of the whole season.

I think we're mostly in agreement?

Minor note though, EP credits really don't mean anything and that's just the number of episodes that were produced.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 28, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think we're mostly in agreement?

Minor note though, EP credits really don't mean anything and that's just the number of episodes that were produced.
Yeah, I'm just cementing the point in my own head bc Im cautious of Kurtzman and really scared that Picard might turn out outright bad but really hoping it to be best drat Trek to date :v:
Imdb credits zone is full of spoilers btw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Wait the RLM guys said Picard and Data weren't friends. Everyone on the goddamn ship was friends, that's what people like about it

Lots of people either didn't like Broccoli or thought he was a fuckin weirdo.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Yeah, I'm just cementing the point in my own head bc Im cautious of Kurtzman and really scared that Picard might turn out outright bad but really hoping it to be best drat Trek to date :v:
Imdb credits zone is full of spoilers btw.

Kurtzman and his little things that lead nowhere annoy the hell out of me. That was something that RLM had right. Why would he know what his "daughter" would look like 30 years later?

I still generally agree with RLM, I just think they did this waaaaaaaay too early.

Rhyno posted:

And that was just in the audience!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't think you should be expected to read a tie-in comic.

Yeah really die hard Star Wars sequel trilogy defenders will say that all the world building it categorically refused to do is in the novels, but forget that noise.

I'm in full-on barf mode that Section 31 is getting its own series, I'm worried that this one is going to lean way too hard into a really on the nose "The Federation is Trump" thing but out of respect for Sir Patrick Stewart I'll give it a couple more episodes.

Honestly after decades of Skull Trek starting with the shadowy, fanatical Taliban Suliban Space-9/11ing Florida in Enterprise and a nonsense plot where a Romulan Picard clone wants to dirty bomb Earth for nebulous reasons etc, the radical contrarian re-imagining/deconstruction would be to just do plain old bright-eyed optimistic Star Trek where humanity has moved beyond its petty tribalisms and stepped into a still more glorious universe as our best selves.

The racist cartoon man's Ersatz Star Trek is the most Star Trek like Trek we've had in almost 2 decades.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rhyno posted:

He was still treated as equal and people tried really hard.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Kurtzman and his little things that lead nowhere annoy the hell out of me. That was something that RLM had right. Why would he know what his "daughter" would look like 30 years later?

That's the loving premise, he knew and we might have an explanation.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I think the line is "I think Maddox based her on this painting".

Which does make the whole "has anyone been in here?" spiel at the archive a bit inconsistent. But whatever, there'll be a handwave for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He was still treated as equal and people tried really hard.

Well you don't get a posting on the Federation flagship if you don't know how to be professional.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

I still generally agree with RLM, I just think they did this waaaaaaaay too early.

And that was just in the audience!

I thought there was a line from Picard saying how Maddox must've seen the painting somehow and modeled Dahj and her sister after it.

efb

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lizard Combatant posted:

Which does make the whole "has anyone been in here?" spiel at the archive a bit inconsistent. But whatever, there'll be a handwave for that.

Who said it? I need a third watch?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I thought there was a line from Picard saying how Maddox must've seen the painting somehow and modeled Dahj and her sister after it.

I'll go and rewatch then, I dont remember that line

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 28, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Who said it? I need a third watch?

Picard, to Alison Pill

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I generally like RLM, but their lead-up videos to Picard made it clear that they'd already decided it was irredeemable due to Alex Kurtzman's involvement.

Also: Dahj is just the word "Daughter" pronounced phonetically with the last syllable filled off. What is Soji short for?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lester Shy posted:

Also: Dahj is just the word "Daughter" pronounced phonetically with the last syllable filled off. What is Soji short for?

Sought, the one they are looking for :D

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He'd've gotten a blanket party in an irl star military

Especially after everyone had to sit through powerpoint briefing after briefing about not making holo sex dolls out of your shipmates

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

I must have missed that line. I'm hoping we get to see and spend some time with Maddox. Regardless of his attitude in Measure of a Man, he was pro-Androids overall and I could see him running off to another group to continue research if they're banned in the Federation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

He'd've gotten a blanket party in an irl star military

Especially after everyone had to sit through powerpoint briefing after briefing about not making holo sex dolls out of your shipmates

Like anyone from this time would pass up a holodeck Dr Crusher orgy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a shame the name of a dude who's bound to be a major character is ruined for me by association with an Internet 1.0 humor site featuring cartoonish performative masculinity.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's a shame the name of a dude who's bound to be a major character is ruined for me by association with an Internet 1.0 humor site featuring cartoonish performative masculinity.

Well it's nice to have a hobby I guess.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

EvilTaytoMan posted:

efb

We know Data corresponded with Maddox, maybe a Data sent him a print.

Maddox tried to save Lal too, don’t forget. Maybe he spent the next twenty years trying to overcome that failure, so to speak.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

For uninitiated please?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For uninitiated please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_Page_in_the_Universe

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'll go and rewatch then, I dont remember that line

It's at 40:05 in the video.

"I believe that Maddox modeled her on an old painting of Data's."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Maddox could access some of Data's memories from B4 right? They said most of them were lost which means some survived. He could have seen the painting that way.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rhyno posted:

Like anyone from this time would pass up a holodeck Dr Crusher Ensign Lefler orgy.
Do I gotta do all the work around here?

If it turns out that ST:Picard is "the Federation bad and evil", well, that'll suck.

If it turns out that ST:Picard is "the Federation is afraid, reactionary, and has forgotten its moral roots", that'll be prime soil for storytelling seeds, and based on Picard and his Fox News interview (among other moments), this seems to be the direction things are going. I am unguardedly optimistic.

If synth research is mostly shut down and only allowed to be simulated due to fear over the UP attack, and perhaps rogue elements/a disgruntled Maddox have stolen key tech, that's a plot point that builds the world.

If it's all been moved to a giant warehouse with a sign that says "Not Section 31" I'm throwing my shoe through my TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Do I gotta do all the work around here?

Don't you dare shame my first TV crush.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Oh that. Thanks.

Powered Descent posted:

It's at 40:05 in the video.

"I believe that Maddox modeled her on an old painting of Data's."

Yeah thanks saw it already

Admiralty Flag posted:

If it's all been moved to a giant warehouse with a sign that says "Not Section 31" I'm throwing my shoe through my TV.

Update with pics please

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 28, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rhyno posted:

Don't you dare shame my first TV crush.
A young man can learn quickly

And Skin of Evil can teach many cruel lessons about falling in love with Star Trek cast members

From that day on, I swore, "Only if their name appeared after the main credits!!!!!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume Maddox didn't actually base her on the painting, he based her on Data's conception of what another daughter might look like, an image that Data also chose to paint and give to Picard.

How he got access to that imagery is still up in the air. It's possible (indeed, likely) that Data was quietly continuing to work on reproducing for years after Lal failed, so maybe there was a whole backlog of notes and development he left behind that Maddox found.

We'll see.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 28, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The girls might only be a few years old. Maddox might have found enough of Data's positrons to reconstitute him already.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

marktheando posted:

I’ve watched a handful of RLM reviews over the years and I’ve never understood why goons hold them in such high esteem. They aren’t funny or insightful, I feel like I’m missing a joke here.

They were pioneers of the now-much-higher-quality media critic channels all over YouTube. When red letter media started, poo poo like Cinema Sins and Nazi propaganda were your choices for takes about movie culture. Ten years later they are just one of many channels offering real film criticism.

Full length reviews that dive into the production and writing decisions behind mega hits and flops like the Lindsay Ellis two part feature on The Hobbit didn't exist before Mr. Plinkett, whatever you think of their style.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 28, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The girls might only be a few years old. Maddox might have found enough of Data's positrons to reconstitute him already.

I kind of hope not. Star Trek already had one more than any franchise ever needed of "hot 3 year olds."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

They were pioneers of the now-much-higher-quality media critic channels all over YouTube. When red letter media started, poo poo like Cinema Sins and Nazi propaganda were your choices for takes about movie culture. Ten years later they are just one of many channels offering real film criticism.

Ignoring the interstitial Plinkett bits that weren't great at the time and aged poorly, they did a great job of autopsying the sci fi franchises we knew went south in the late 90's/early aughties, and giving lay people better insight into just why the prequels/next gen films were so bad. I think they helped a lot of people get the context and language to articulate what they didn't like and be better at watching movies. "You didn't notice it, but your brain did."

But you hit the nail on the head that they were the only game in town for that much of a deep dive with cogent post-mortem observations. Jumping into them cold 12 years later with plenty of channels that have slick production values and insightful reviewers just isn't the same.

I still like Half in the Bag and think they do a decent job reviewing movies. The mark of a good reviewer IMO is basically "even if they didn't like it, they tell you in a way that lets you know if you might want to give it a chance" and they clear that hurdle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrData posted:

How is watching something on a half-transparent screen, where your living room is visible through the screen, complete with 1920's phone style sound, preferable to a 1990's flat screen TV?

I've been thinking this for ages. Nobody wants a screen with the background visible like that! Good lord that would be distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Isn't the context of the Plinkett bits that for a long time people who cared that much about the minutiae and fine points of criticism were derogatorily accused of being basement dwelling, a tragedy in waiting.