Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gantolandon posted:

The real danger with this virus is not that it's particularly lethal, it's that it seems just severe enough and infectious enough to overwhelm healthcare even in those countries where it's actually decent. Yeah, proper care on the ICU may be enough to let most people survive... but no city has enough ICUs to keep thousands of patients.

Oddly, there were some lessons learned from the Vegas shooting that may end up saving lives here. That was an event that absolutely swarmed hospitals very quickly with critical patients, and they quickly decided to do things like stuff two patients on one ventilator and work out the math so that it could keep both alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

The earliest medical news I was sent when this all started to hit western media was from 03/01. It had by that point already been identified as likely coming from the seafood market and had infected some 40 people, up from 20 in late December.

If I had to guess based on those numbers, the infection rate and incubation period before symptoms, I’d guess latter half of November/early December.

i don't want to be paranoid :tinfoil: but reading up on spanish flu apparently it might of been around for a year or so before anyone noticed. I feel like this could easily be mistaken for normal flu by 95% of people or whatever and it could be literally everywhere now.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The scariest thing about this, as far as I can tell, is that it's contagious before people are symptomatic. Like who knows if the Wuhan quarantine will even do that much good if infected people who traveled from there beforehand were already spreading it around.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Nam Taf posted:

The earliest medical news I was sent when this all started to hit western media was from 03/01. It had by that point already been identified as likely coming from the seafood market and had infected some 40 people, up from 20 in late December.

If I had to guess based on those numbers, the infection rate and incubation period before symptoms, I’d guess latter half of November/early December.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/wuhan-seafood-market-may-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally

This article, also in Science, suggests that might not be the whole story.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mons Hubris posted:

The scariest thing about this, as far as I can tell, is that it's contagious before people are symptomatic. Like who knows if the Wuhan quarantine will even do that much good if infected people who traveled from there beforehand were already spreading it around.

It didn't do much good because the government dragged its feet on action because the PRC thought it was embarrassing and would hurt their public image and then when it became clear they couldn't just downplay it until it passed naturally they announced the quarantine on the busiest travel season of the Chinese calendar and gave people a couple hours head start for them to freak out and take their infectious rear end to Shanghai and Beijing etc

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I mean, it’s great I’d probably survive and get a chance to rewatch my Twin Peaks boxset, but I would rather my friends with CF or elderly grandparents didn’t cop it choking on melted lung. So I’m not blasie about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:yeshaha:

https://twitter.com/karinjohnson/status/1222180459297284097

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Besides rich people closing business deals and white kids backpacking, what reason is there to go to China in the first place as a foreigner

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oddly, there were some lessons learned from the Vegas shooting that may end up saving lives here. That was an event that absolutely swarmed hospitals very quickly with critical patients, and they quickly decided to do things like stuff two patients on one ventilator and work out the math so that it could keep both alive.

That sounds crazy. How quickly can manufacturers go from order to hospital use with that sort of equipment. Weeks probably?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

MorrisBae posted:

Besides rich people closing business deals and white kids backpacking, what reason is there to go to China in the first place as a foreigner

adoption and sex tourism

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

goons talking about the government developing new vaccines posted:

even in areas where they currently have no interest the pharmaceutical industry would act to beat anyone to the patent office as soon as they heard ## millions of dollars are being spent in research somewhere. theyll maintain their stranglehold

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

MorrisBae posted:

world famous fish markets

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

TheBuilder posted:

adoption and sex tourism

Learning martial art secrets from mountaintop monasteries.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, juice and exercise, classic cures.
You underestimate the power of intervals and mangosteen.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

MorrisBae posted:

Beijing and Xian are both nice cities for tourists imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

That sounds crazy. How quickly can manufacturers go from order to hospital use with that sort of equipment. Weeks probably?

That I don’t know off the top of my head. Hopefully the feds learned their lesson from Operation Dark Winter (the bioterror attack simulation they did in the early 2000’s) when they found out the american healthcare system has no surge capacity. There may, and if they actually did learn anything, should be a stock of ICU equipment in some undisclosed warehouse for exactly this kind of situation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If we actually want to talk about vaccine production for this, here is an article on it

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/health/coronavirus-nih-vaccine-development/index.html

The NIH hopes to have a vaccine ready to test within the next 3 months due to recent advances in the field

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Outrail posted:

Months, even under war-like conditions. A manufacturer could probably pull up a few machines that were already scheduled to be built, and get them out in a week or two, but doing something like building 10x what you expected to will take time.

Manufacturing, even with "money is no object" style procurement takes time. Maybe 4-8 weeks, no matter what the rush? Machining, heat treating, plating/painting; probably several iterations of that cycle. Controls (computers, custom boards/controllers, etc) will likewise take a couple of months. Of course, a lot of that component sourcing will occur in China and the rest of Asia. By the time a western government would be in full panic mode those suppliers may not be at their most efficient...

After you get the components, building and testing the equipment can be pretty quick, if money is no object.

Even in world war 2, with a five year ramp-up of supplying equipment to the Allies, things really didn't get rolling until the second half of '43.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Glumslinger posted:

If we actually want to talk about vaccine production for this, here is an article on it

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/health/coronavirus-nih-vaccine-development/index.html

The NIH hopes to have a vaccine ready to test within the next 3 months due to recent advances in the field

BOO! I want this pandemic to wreck the boomer populations

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

MorrisBae posted:

For all we poo poo upon China for a lot of stuff, it’s an extremely important region and culture in human history, which should be experienced

...by going to Taiwan where except for specific physical locations/artifacts you can sufficiently observe the Sinosphere culture to the extent that you need.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Kmt took most of the best poo poo while evacuating, it's specific locations only

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
WUHAN FLU COMMIN AT YA

WATCH YOUR COUGH KID

WATCH YOUR COUGH KID

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Was it here, the CSPAM thread, or some news article which talked about how most of our pharmaceutical manufacturing is based in China now and the feds have never recognized this as something that might be a bad idea. I though that was a good point

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Chrs posted:

Would rather have this than Ebola because at least with this I’d only be dying instead of making GBS threads myself inside out and dying

See a doctor about your wussy stomach lol can't handle a little Ebola god what a self own

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Was it here, the CSPAM thread, or some news article which talked about how most of our pharmaceutical manufacturing is based in China now and the feds have never recognized this as something that might be a bad idea. I though that was a good point

60 percent of the pharmaceuticals used in the US are made in the US, even after Puerto Rico got hit really badly with that hurricane.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

60 percent of the pharmaceuticals used in the US are made in the US, even after Puerto Rico got hit really badly with that hurricane.

Pills are the big moneymaker so they focus on that in the US. There's not really any profits in making masks or plastic gloves. Guess where all of that basic stuff are made.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

*taps sign that just says "number"*

*points at sign*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/willsommer/stat...ingawful.com%2F

So simple

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Oh thank god. I was just about to buy some turpentine. Bleach is certainly easier to find in store.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bardeh posted:

This:

Would seem to indicate it can be transmitted even before symptoms begin, which is pretty worrying and could easily mean we start seeing a lot more cases pop up over the next week or so all over the fuckin place.

Yeah asymptomatic transmission was announced at least a few days ago, these are the first cases of that happening outside of China.

Pretty much anyone traveling through an airport right now should be very diligent about hygiene

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

UnknownTarget posted:

Cool cool. So like I thought it's scary how fast it's spreading but it's just a global case of the sniffles.

"The sniffles" implies something like the cold, but this is much more severe than that. If you just felt crummy and had to lay in bed for a few days that would suck but wouldn't be worth quarantining cities over. Instead, healthy young adults are having to be hospitalized at significant rates, with many requiring ICU resources.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

hemale in pain posted:

i don't want to be paranoid :tinfoil: but reading up on spanish flu apparently it might of been around for a year or so before anyone noticed. I feel like this could easily be mistaken for normal flu by 95% of people or whatever and it could be literally everywhere now.

The CDC and other organisations track influenza viruses very carefully every flu season (and even out of season) so that they know what strains are circulating and if there's anything novel. That's how they choose which strains to include in the annual flu vaccine in time for them to be produced in advance.

Even if it had been mistaken for normal flu by most people, it would still have been picked up long before it circulated around the world for a year.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

MorrisBae posted:

Members of the Chinese diaspora visiting relatives

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MorrisBae posted:

The rich, glorious history. And the museums.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSGD0JqGuk

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Video taken from inside a Wuhan hospital showing 3 bodies covered in the hallway.

https://twitter.com/Tominmedill/status/1220627305728368640

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Second confirmed case in Canada :getin:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Old video is old. I need fresh panic fuel.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Really annoying we have to wait on the CCP to give us the occasional running total.

Gimme a real time tracker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Really annoying we have to wait on the CCP to give us the occasional running total.

Gimme a real time tracker.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Best we have at the moment.