Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Keystone Pipeline said there was no way to spill the oil in their perfect pipes as they went through native American lands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Chuka Umana posted:

The US government repaid General Motors $500 million for bombing their slave labor factories in Nazi Germany.

Respect for property is the foundation of freedom, friend

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cool dance moves posted:

Respect for property is the foundation of freedom, friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9B7owHxMQ

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chuka Umana posted:

The US government repaid General Motors $500 million for bombing their slave labor factories in Nazi Germany.

link plz

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/CobraKeiser/status/1221519572542640128

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Remember when Nigel Farage resigned after the brexit vote because after all, he had done his part

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Remember when Nigel Farage resigned after the brexit vote because after all, he had done his part

Remember when he died in that plane crash but Satan sent him back because there was still evil to do

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Barack Obama pretending to drink Flint water

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

cool dance moves posted:

Barack Obama pretending to drink Flint water

In retrospect that video probably clinched Michigan for Trump

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Roosevelt posted:

john edwards' $400 haircuts so he could look like a 90s sitcom dad

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is called a hypocrite for spending $260 on hers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Fdr completely totally sweeping the 1936 elections, in spite of a huge :decorum: campaign of no third term

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Michael Jackson dying interrupting the media circus around the Mark Sanford scandal; and Sanford not being happy with it and giving interviews anyway talking about how much he loved his mistress

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Chuka Umana posted:

Wikipedia posted:

During the war, GM declared it had abandoned its German subsidiary, and took a complete tax write-off worth "approximately $22.7 million", yet after the war, GM collected some $33 million in "war reparations" because the Allies had bombed its German facilities.[18]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just remembering that time when they tried to give the line item veto to dubya, after it was struck down as unconstitutional by scotus when clinton wanted it

quote:

Though the Supreme Court struck down the Line-Item Veto Act in 1998, President George W. Bush asked the Congress to enact legislation that would return the line-item veto power to the Executive Authority. First announcing his intent to seek such legislation in his January 31, 2006 State of the Union address, President Bush sent a legislative proposal, the Legislative Line-Item Veto Act of 2006, to the Congress on March 6, 2006, urging its prompt passage. Senators Bill Frist (R-TN) and John McCain (R-AZ), and Republican Whip Senator Mitch McConnell (KY) jointly introduced this proposal. Representative Paul Ryan (R-WI) introduced his own version, the Legislative Line Item Veto Act of 2006, in March of that year.[15]

(it ultimately failed in the senate)

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

When I said $500 million I took inflation into account for emphasis

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/daily/nov98/nazicars30.htm

GM had to be dragged kicking and screaming by the US government to abandon their German operations and still held informal meetings with Nazi officials during the war. By 1940 they were using slave labor from French and Dutch prisoners in the factories. Henry Ford was outright supportive of Hitler and encouraged converting Ford plants in Germany for wartime purposes but fought tooth and nail against the Roosevelt administration trying to get them to do the same domestically.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

ikanreed posted:

Fdr completely totally sweeping the 1936 elections, in spite of a huge :decorum: campaign of no third term

That was 1940, iirc

Wendell Willkie seems to have an interesting history, apparently. His wikipedia page almost makes him seem controlled opposition to FDR (in that he remained on good terms with him and also backed his interventionist policies)

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Roosevelt won in 1940 with a much lower margin of victory than he did in 1936, and by even narrower margins during the wartime 1944 elections. It was FDR who went full :decorum: in 37 and agreed to cut New Deal spending in order to lower the deficit.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1076277342237007872

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/jeremysmiles/status/1221969160382664706?s=21

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just remembering that time when they tried to give the line item veto to dubya, after it was struck down as unconstitutional by scotus when clinton wanted it

(it ultimately failed in the senate)

The Wisconsin's Line-Item veto that was so powerful you could delete individual words

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/2005_frankenstein_veto.pdf

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This was nerfed from the original version, which let the governor veto individual letters

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Feldegast42 posted:

That was 1940, iirc

Wendell Willkie seems to have an interesting history, apparently. His wikipedia page almost makes him seem controlled opposition to FDR (in that he remained on good terms with him and also backed his interventionist policies)

There's some fun quotes

"Wendell Willkie, [i posted:

One World[/i]"]

For except for those who escaped to other lands, and they were relatively few, practically the whole upper and middle classes of Russia have been completely exterminated. And Russians today find the story a heroic achievement.

I had not realized before coming to Russia to what extent that is true. For I had not sufficiently taken into account, in appraising modern Russia, that it is ruled by and composed almost entirely of people whose parents had no property, no education, and only a folk heritage. That there is hardly a resident of Russia today whose lot is not as good as or better than his parents' lot was prior to the revolution. The Russian individual, like all individuals, naturally finds some good in a system that has improved his own lot, and has a tendency to forget the ruthless means by which it has been brought about. This may be difficult for an American to believe or like.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

This was nerfed from the original version, which let the governor veto individual letters

amazing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tulip posted:

There's some fun quotes

Yeah can't imagine an American ignoring the violent origin of his nation just because he's richer

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pelosi giving trump his budget and space force on purpose the same day he was impeached

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Incredible.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Eat This Glob posted:

pelosi giving trump his budget and space force on purpose the same day he was impeached

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I'm MC Rove

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Guze posted:

I'm MC Rove

and i'm here to say
i'm fixing elections in a major way

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I posted this 300 or so pages ago but it still makes me laugh because Nader predicts the entire Obama presidency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsP6XN2dIo

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

I posted this 300 or so pages ago but it still makes me laugh because Nader predicts the entire Obama presidency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsP6XN2dIo

lol i don't think nader should've used that language at all, but gently caress shep's faux concern about it on the racism network. also nader nailed it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
nader owns

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i voted for Ralph Nader in 2004, which was my first presidential election i could legally vote in lol

he was wrong about the corvair, but right about a lot of other stuff

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

i voted for Ralph Nader in 2004, which was my first presidential election i could legally vote in lol

he was wrong about the corvair, but right about a lot of other stuff

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Michael Moore begging Nader not to run in 2004.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Forgot that Moore was succ

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Moore endorsed Wesley Clark that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Animal-Mother posted:

Michael Moore begging Nader not to run in 2004.

ikanreed posted:

Forgot that Moore was succ

I basically feel about Bush the way the more psycho Russiagate style liberals feel about Trump so I think that was understandable from Moore, tbh.

2004 was a different planet.