Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the answer is that Ibushi is an extremely gifted striker, and Okada is the greatest worker of all time

90 percent of it is in Okada's selling of every punch, which is theatrical while still remaining completely realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would guess everybody asked this in the Rumble thread but I forgot the Rumble was last night an dam just listening to Dave and Bryan's recap.

What the heck, Edge can wrestle again? I though it was a case of if he took any more bumps, he could die or get paralyzed. Can stuff like that heal or change after some time?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

NikkolasKing posted:

I would guess everybody asked this in the Rumble thread but I forgot the Rumble was last night an dam just listening to Dave and Bryan's recap.

What the heck, Edge can wrestle again? I though it was a case of if he took any more bumps, he could die or get paralyzed. Can stuff like that heal or change after some time?

I think the word is that he had the same issue that Sheamus had and the neck problems were less severe than they used to think they were. Details are a little scarce because they wanted to keep his return a surprise, of course

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
With all these guys covered in sweat and oil and cocoa butter, how do they keep from slipping out of each other's grasp?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Grip strength is vital to wrestling, just ask Mr. Danny Hodge.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Sasha Bank's husband makes wrestling gear I think.
He replaced Sandra Gray, who retired in 2015 after a long career.

Kvantum posted:

He was a wrestler who made his own gear, then friends asked him to make their gear, and then their friends, etc. He ended up with so much business making gear he didn't have time to keep up with his training, so he quit wrestling to just make gear fulltime.
I remember Colt interviewed an indie wrestler who made gear, and he said that if you're good at it, you'll quickly become so inundated with orders that you'll have to either quit sewing or quit wrestling.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sandra gray works for aew now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She had only retired as their main seamstress and was still making stuff for some of the women.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

millions of dollars in blood money can heal any wound

if some weird fetishistic saudi prince wanted to see droz wrestle at the next event, droz would be wrestling at the next event

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't there a story about the first Saudi show where they asked where Hulk Hogan was, and then asked for proof that Warrior was dead?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They were actually saying they are good friends with Warrior and talked to him last week, and WWE is lying that he's dead in order to screw them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't there a story about the first Saudi show where they asked where Hulk Hogan was, and then asked for proof that Warrior was dead?

They wanted Yokozuna too

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Pope Corky the IX posted:

With all these guys covered in sweat and oil and cocoa butter, how do they keep from slipping out of each other's grasp?

Wrist tape.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
as a dude who beat up dudes for a living for a few years. bruises only show with either A. repeated impacts to the same spot or B. absurdly hard handed hitters. for a normal person to leave a bruise it also depends on how easily bruised the person being hit is.

basically no punch in wrestling is hard enough to leave a bruise worked or accidental shoot cause a real bruising punch has to be thrown with full intent to hurt.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry, a couple more "medical questions."

Bryan or Vinny said Rock in '98-99 wearing the tracksuit was to cover up surgery? I never heard anything about that. Surgery for what?

DDP can't wrestle any more because of his neck or spine? I never knew he was no longer cleared, I just thought he got too old and retired.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Gynecomastia.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Bryan or Vinny said Rock in '98-99 wearing the tracksuit was to cover up surgery? I never heard anything about that. Surgery for what?

DDP can't wrestle any more because of his neck or spine? I never knew he was no longer cleared, I just thought he got too old and retired.

Gynecomastia, from steroids and being Samoan. Having tits wasn't a good look, and the track suit covered up the bandages. You can see the bandages sometimes in matches during the tracksuit era

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

NikkolasKing posted:

Rocky had titties

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the rock gave me an emergency titty donation, he is a good and generous man

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

DDP wrestled like two weeks ago including a spot where he did a dive from the top turnbuckle to the outside.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who else has had injuries or surgery covered up by clothing and gear while still wrestling, acknowledged or not?

Undertaker had the Phantom mask.
Jericho wrestled with a cast on his arm, kinda counts.

D'lo had that chest protector and Bob Orton had his arm cast but I don't remember if either of those were legit at the start.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who else has had injuries or surgery covered up by clothing and gear while still wrestling, acknowledged or not?

Undertaker had the Phantom mask.
Jericho wrestled with a cast on his arm, kinda counts.

D'lo had that chest protector and Bob Orton had his arm cast but I don't remember if either of those were legit at the start.

Brutus Beefcake had the metal mask after he came back from getting his face smashed in by a parasailer

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Kerry Von Erich had a prosthetic foot; that's got to count for something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

DDP wrestled like two weeks ago including a spot where he did a dive from the top turnbuckle to the outside.

Really? I asked about him because I just saw Bryan talking about Edge's condition and said there was no way WWE would ever let DDP or Austin take bumps again. He used them as a contrast with Edge to show Edge must be in better shape while those two would never be cleared for anything.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish there was a DDP bluray set

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

I wish there was a DDP bluray set

https://www.amazon.com/WWE-Diamond-...5MGSJ493EBJJ4YG

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm still not entirely convinced Edge should be doing this.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

NikkolasKing posted:

Really? I asked about him because I just saw Bryan talking about Edge's condition and said there was no way WWE would ever let DDP or Austin take bumps again. He used them as a contrast with Edge to show Edge must be in better shape while those two would never be cleared for anything.

I feel like Austin has said at various points he could've come back for a short run or a couple matches but he just didn't want to. Like he was broken down by 2003 but it always sounded like the kind of thing that would get better with a few years off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well son of a bitch

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TriffTshngo posted:

I feel like Austin has said at various points he could've come back for a short run or a couple matches but he just didn't want to. Like he was broken down by 2003 but it always sounded like the kind of thing that would get better with a few years off.

and he probably didn't trust Vince not to gently caress it up.

Like losing to Coach, for instance

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A few years back Austin said that he could probably do a full year on the standard WWE schedule but then he wouldn't be able to walk afterwards.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MrBling posted:

A few years back Austin said that he could probably do a full year on the standard WWE schedule but then he wouldn't be able to walk afterwards.

Well, yeah. Ryback was on the roster.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

They're talking about Paige, not Diamond Dallas Page. Paige's back/neck is totally hosed up, she knew even when she was active that she wasn't going to have a long run because of scoliosis I think?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
A question about a wrestling move.

Just how do they do the top rope foot stomp (Fin Balor, Low-Ki, probably others) without hurting their opponent? I assume there's some visual trick where they spread their feet at the last moment to prevent an actual stomp, but drat if it doesn't look like a move that could go REALLY wrong if the wrestler screwed it up.

I also sort of remember Spike Dudley doing a similar move but I think he sort of slid off to the side and it was easier because he was lighter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They pull their feet, but mostly they don't. That move hurts.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

The knee bend at impact kinda helps it not be so awful and if you hit off center and fall off of the guy it lessens the compression but also looks awful.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, any kind of interview ever where it comes up, its just "yeah, fuckin' sucks to take it."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I really don’t like the top rope stomp because all the stuff they do to stop from killing their opponent makes it looks unspectacular, and yet it still is super painful to take. It’s the exact opposite of what a wrestling move should be.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I assume the corner cannonball is much the same. Not really a lot of ways to not crush a guy when you're just flinging yourself at him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The cannonball actually looks really cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I love cannonballs!