Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Besides, he's in the bad place, chewed too loudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Besides, he's in the bad place, chewed too loudly.

Was it Plato that chewed too loudly?

Because... wasn't he a pederast?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

tarlibone posted:

Was it Plato that chewed too loudly?

Because... wasn't he a pederast?

Plato got dinged for being pro-slavery, Socrates was the loud chewer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ishamael posted:

So I know it's a TV comedy and not deserving of the nitpick treatment, but if Janet knows everything why didn't she know that the Good Place was broken, or that no people had been allowed to enter in hundreds of years? She knows who went to the bad place, as she showed at the beginning and again when she tells Chidi that Aristotle was in the Bad Place because of slavery.

But, I guess they can't make her truly omniscient because she would have seen through Michael's plan immediately and known she was in the Bad Place.

She knew everything about Earth and some basics that were relevant to the neighborhood, but she's never been wholly omniscient and was specifically shown in the latest ep as needing to download good place info

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh my mistake

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

A few strong closed eye magic mushroom trips will give you some answers as to the existence of the afterlife and what it is really like. Especially if you work at removing all hate from your life in between trips, especially self hate.

Yeah we got it, Doug

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Klungar posted:

Plato got dinged for being pro-slavery, Socrates was the loud chewer.

And ugly, don't forget that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

All of the major world religions have well-established doctrines about the afterlife not being the same as life on earth. Christians have the idea that we are given "heavenly bodies" which are not the same as our earthly bodies. Some schools of Buddhism have the idea that in nirvana, our consciousness actually ceases to be our own and melds/blends with everything else there.

Many religions also don't strictly think you get one shot and you're done. The Dharmic religions all believe in some form of rebirth, so you're forced to live lives forever until you get it right. There's also the idea of purgatory, which in the Catholic version is a place where people who aren't quite able to get into heaven go through some sort of cleansing process. Interestingly, the new system in the Bad Place kind of combines these two ideas, of perpetual trial and a process of cleansing.

i've always thought of it that heaven would eventually turn into hell for anyone who still had a human, time-limited mindset, and if you became an angel or whatever who was totally jizzing about singing god's praises forever then that's not you anymore so it's not even you in heaven at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpZuIWu1tw

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Deep Space 9 already addressed this in the series finale with non-linear time beings. Jeremy Bearimy is a wormhole alien.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

luxury handset posted:

i've always thought of it that heaven would eventually turn into hell for anyone who still had a human, time-limited mindset, and if you became an angel or whatever who was totally jizzing about singing god's praises forever then that's not you anymore so it's not even you in heaven at all

i just explained, in the post of mine you yourself quoted, that christians don't believe anything like this. if you think heaven is some kind of nonstop church service (:psyduck:) and that humans can become angels (:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:) i really don't think i can help you

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If I understand old testament/dead sea scroll biblical angels correctly, they are the one's doing all the worshipping and poo poo. Humans just kind of get to hang out, be happy, and bask in God's glory, it's the Seraphim who are constantly singing about how cool he is. The angels aren't just messengers, they *are* the infrastructure of heaven. Some of them are sent to earth to tell people important poo poo, others are just the wheels on the chariot that gets them there, and the Seraphim are basically just there to brag about how great He is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the dead sea scrolls are not canon in any of the abrahamic religions

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, but they're cooler than the canon stuff. Isn't the only difference between the canon and non-canon stuff is that the orthodoxy didn't think the non-canon stuff was "on brand", or it wasn't known about at the time, so some of it got left out of the final books?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ah. Are the Dead Sea scrolls the ones where Luke marries Mara Jade and Chewie dies by having a moon crash into him?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. Are the Dead Sea scrolls the ones where Luke marries Mara Jade and Chewie dies by having a moon crash into him?

Those are the Dune Sea scrolls.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's tough to keep paradise working when more than one person is involved.

For example, what happens when Simone arrives? Creating a near-duplicate Chidi, forcing Simone to not want to be with Chidi, or forcing her and Elanor to be enthusiastically okay with any particular arrangement all don't seem right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klungar posted:

Those are the Dune Sea scrolls.

No those are the ones where the clone of Paul Atreides and the other clone of Paul Atreides fight each other and also a Terminator

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thranguy posted:

For example, what happens when Simone arrives? Creating a near-duplicate Chidi, forcing Simone to not want to be with Chidi, or forcing her and Elanor to be enthusiastically okay with any particular arrangement all don't seem right.

Doesn't have to be paradise anymore. That was the initial problem, that it was perfect. Simone arrives, things get weird for a few Bearimy's but they'll figure it out and be better for it. Things are allowed to be challenging now, it keeps the mind from turning to mush, and if it's too much for someone they can drown their sorrows in stardust milkshakes.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Surely the religious community that considered them cannonical was Abrahamic

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

A few strong closed eye magic mushroom trips will give you some answers as to the existence of the afterlife and what it is really like. Especially if you work at removing all hate from your life in between trips, especially self hate.

Gonna need a team of psychiatrists and neurologists to unpack this paragraph

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MokBa posted:

Gonna need a team of psychiatrists and neurologists to unpack this paragraph

Its pretty simple actually. Hallucinogens make you hallucinate.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

No they're the ones that make you build giant robots and turn everyone into orange juice.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Surely the religious community that considered them cannonical was Abrahamic

I was responding to someone who said that the Dead Sea Scrolls had some kind of bearing on how Christians talk about the afterlife. They... don't.

As for your question, answering it properly would require diving into the scholarship around the DSS. Yes, the people who wrote them were some kind of Jewish sect. But this doesn't necessarily say anything about how they viewed their writings. Some of the scrolls and fragments aren't even religious at all, such as the treasure map. If they did consider some of these writings as comparable in canonicity to books in what would eventually become the Hebrew Bible, you would be correct here. But then I feel like we'd also have to talk about how this sect died out like 2000 years ago.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 28, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, but they're cooler than the canon stuff. Isn't the only difference between the canon and non-canon stuff is that the orthodoxy didn't think the non-canon stuff was "on brand", or it wasn't known about at the time, so some of it got left out of the final books?

Really all they did was take all the Paul stuff and made it official, and take a couple scraps from everyone else to make them look relevant

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Finally watched the recent episode. It kinda fell flat for me, like a good chunk of this season. Oh well. I will always have Seasons 1-3.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
In regards to what to do with eternity, I wonder if anyone in the Good Place has used the "Janet gets you everything you ask for" to essentially create their own universe and their own version of life, essentially becoming gods themselves to Janet created beings.

Probably beyond the budget of the show and they would probably get bored with it, same as the monkey go-carts. But it could be used to talk about the absence of any god in this show, they themselves are in a dead human created universe and their creator has had their brain turn to mush and has just wandered off somewhere.

But that's probably one twist too far.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt it'd work, because even the show's central Janet (and her bad place analogue who had been reset a lot) had trouble keeping track of one neighborhood of Janet babies, so a regular Good Place Janet would most likely just create more blatantly stupid mush people who are about as entertaining or believable as a dead frog.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Promo that ran during this weekend's SNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmknVK0_ntQ

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Glad I watched that, thought it was on friday as usual. now I know to keep away from the thread tomorrow til it hits netflix

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Eh? New episodes have always premiered on Thursdays on NBC. I don't know when they show up elsewhere but it should be the same schedule as usual.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Propaniac posted:

Eh? New episodes have always premiered on Thursdays on NBC. I don't know when they show up elsewhere but it should be the same schedule as usual.

OK, it's just that it doesn't go on Netflix til late Friday/early Saturdays for me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1222262589855424512

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
My Afterdeath guessing:

Many Jeremy Bearamys take place between these events.

Jason goes first, getting bored with every small vehicle/animal combination.

Tahani's family gets to the Good Place, they bond/make amends and go on together.

Chidi becomes satisfied with his version of The Answer and decides to move on. Eleanor give a big crying speech to him that TOTALLY DOES NOT MAKE ME CRY but then Michael gives another speech that helps her feel a little better and I also DO NOT CRY AT THIS!

Eleanor and Michael reach a stage where they're ready to go, leaving Janet behind to run the Good Place on her own.

Alternatively, Janet reboots every Janet a bajillion times. and moves on with Jason.

Thank you for reading my fan fiction.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Jason goes first, getting bored with every small vehicle/animal combination.

I feel like even if he got bored of animal combinations, eventually he'd get caught in an infinite loop with Janet or one of his Jacksonville boys before he chose to take the door.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jameela is great. 👍

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 29, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
D'Arcy has been posting BTS pics on her instagram, here are some of them:

plus just a couple because this is a super good looking cast of people:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Thranguy posted:

Simone has been fine every time they break up, she doesn't need Chidi and certainly wouldn't buy into notions about predestination or soulmates or anything. Eleanor and Chidi have been through many lives together, it would be obvious from the outside it's an unusually strong bond and who wants to inherit that baggage even if they could?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"The good place was the suicide we committed once we got bored."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ashpanash posted:

"The good place was the suicide we committed once we got bored we made along the way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

tsob posted:

I doubt it'd work, because even the show's central Janet (and her bad place analogue who had been reset a lot) had trouble keeping track of one neighborhood of Janet babies, so a regular Good Place Janet would most likely just create more blatantly stupid mush people who are about as entertaining or believable as a dead frog.

*looks around

Well, that explains everything