Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Tom's scheduled a live Youtube do-hicky in about 12-ish hours called "Ffff.

'kay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

On Twitter he said he's going to illustrate the cover for the next book.

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1220855405506650113

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Neat! Those are always fun.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Looks like he's going at it RIGHT NOW.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Spoilers:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

IUG posted:

Spoilers:

the real annie is on the beach

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Uthor posted:

Looks like he's going at it RIGHT NOW.

The video seems to be missing

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSpxxh3k9Q

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He didn't get any ideas he liked enough for the final book cover (despite that Death Stranding one, or the Slam Dunk cover), so he said in the stream yesterday he would try again today.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drat, Tom plays a good banjo.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The smuggest Zimmy

Also wow, never seen Zimmy this chilled out and content. Good for her.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I am dying for that Zimmy and Gamma side-comic Tom wants to do.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also wow, never seen Zimmy this chilled out and content. Good for her.

Yeah, she's looking cool as a cucumber.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Man that last panel is so great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OgreNoah posted:

Man that last panel is so great.

Reminds me of this classic.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

:smugzim:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Man one of these days imma do a reread and will be all wowzers at the art difference.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Man one of these days imma do a reread and will be all wowzers at the art difference.

You can do this right now!

Tom posted:

4 Apr 2005 | 12:00 AM
The first page
Welcome to Gunnerkrigg Court.

Holy poo poo, we're about two months shy of 15 YEARS.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The smuggest zimzam.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Tom sells out.

https://magnesiumfilm.com/blog/f/meet-magnesium

Hope it's great!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The synopsis has me worried:

quote:

Gunnerkrigg Court Synopsis: When orphaned Antimony Carver is taken in by a shadowy institute that can program spiritual energy like software, she knows that her near death experience is her only chance for survival. She must navigate a world of capricious demons and artificial intelligence in order to stop the war between the spirit world and the technological ambitions of the institute. But even as her powers grow stronger, her friendships remain her greatest weapon.

This sounds pretty divergent from the setting and plot of the comic.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh nice! Gunnerkrigg would make a perfect animated series. Confirmation from Tom here:

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1222245383138611200

blastron posted:

Not really? Sounds beat for beat a description of the comic. MAYBE with the exception of the "near death experience", but there's a few parts of the story that could be described that way, and I'm sure things will be shifted around and edited a bit for a new format.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she absolutely has had a lot of experience near death

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

blastron posted:

The story is already absurdly long by western animation's standards, a self-contained arc or a faster-paced reimagining seems inevitable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is appropriate to alter a story when adapting it into a different medium.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I am ecstatic that an animated series is being made. I just wonder, will it be 3D or 2D CGI? Or hell, hand drawn?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Claymation

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

YaketySass posted:

The story is already absurdly long by western animation's standards, a self-contained arc or a faster-paced reimagining seems inevitable.

Although it pretty explicitly says they're presenting it as a multi-season series.

A lot of the earlier arcs can be cut or summarized, though. The comic already isn't afraid to jump ahead in time often.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

flatluigi posted:

she absolutely has had a lot of experience near death

frequent chats with them in fact.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Getting optioned does not mean “getting made into a series” it means someone bought the rights to be the one who makes this into a series for a certain period of time. Still cool though.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Yeah, from what I understand they now have an 18 month window to shop it around and get financing and distribution arranged and if they don't find partners the rights go back to Tom (and no TV gets made). Two examples of other media properties I can think of that were optioned for TV but ultimately had nothing come of it are the Myst game series and the Laundry Files book series* by Charles Stross.

*Whose (initial) premise I'd summarize as: what if the BOFH was dropped into a Lovecraftian world where computers can perform magic using the right algorithms and he is unwillingly drafted into a government organization tasked with keeping this all secret from the unwitting public (and whose bureaucracy is almost as big an obstacle as the actual otherworldly threats). If you enjoy the technomagic themes of GC and want something darker I can highly recommend it.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 29, 2020

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

what if the BOFH was dropped into a Lovecraftian world where computers can perform magic using the right algorithms and he is unwillingly drafted into a government organization tasked with keeping this all secret from the unwitting public
Does halon even work on Old Ones?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

Claymation

that's just mean

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

maswastaken posted:

Does halon even work on Old Ones?

Generally, no. But they do have some other stuff that works if the user is tech literate.

That's a bit of an if, of course.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just hope that they can properly catch his current style in an animation.

Regarding current comic, Zimmy's remark shouldn't matter to the Antimonies. Because the ghost guy told them neither were supposed to be here. :shrug:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lmao at annie not even thinking about what it means to "fix things"

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

They've been laser focused on trying to get Loup to unfuck everything and die as Coyote promised he would.

Darth TNT posted:

Regarding current comic, Zimmy's remark shouldn't matter to the Antimonies. Because the ghost guy told them neither were supposed to be here. :shrug:
But here is where they've been all this time, where they're supposed to be are different places and those places not having had any Annies the whole time is probably the best case scenario just to skip the whole "I'm real and she's also real but timeshifted" thing.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

blastron posted:

The near death experience referred to is when Annie fell off the bridge in chapter 7/8! Plus her dealings with the psychopomps.

One thing I had to do early on was try and encapsulate the story into a short description that would get across the excitement of the plot and give it a hook. It was pretty hard to do since I'm so close to the story in its entirety. On top of that, I fully understand that an adaptation for the screen will diverge from the comic in various ways, but they've been clear it won't be taken in any direction I have a problem with. The comic will always be owned and created by myself only, but a large project like a show or animation will necessarily have a lot of people involved and I'd be really eager to see what real artists and writers would bring to the table.

One of the first things I was asked was how I imagined a possible show would be animated and I said I'd like it with 2D animated characters with 3D assisted backgrounds. I think that Netflix movie, Klaus, has some interesting technology in it that would work well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I've always wanted to see animated Coyote :catdrugs:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kennel posted:

I've always wanted to see animated Coyote :catdrugs:

I've always wanted to hear animated Coyote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I guess our Prophet hath spoken.