Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

man a desktop/web setup would be even better than mobile IMHO, I doubt it ever happens tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

I feel like there wouldnt be near as much complaining if
A: the price wasn't egregious for what it is
B: the "basic" version had, you know. basic functionality. Like, say, being able to transfer in from bank, and holding more than thirty pokemon.

Also, as people have complained in the past, it is now 100% possible for someone to transfer up pokemon from Home, not be able to transfer it into SwSh, and be forced to pay to keep it alive. :downsbravo:

also I'm salty because they based it entirely around mobile with no option to access it from desktop.

I'm hoping they'll make just holding and transferring the basic package in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
give me an option to pay $40 for the life of the service and I'd probably do it

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

indigi posted:

3x more than it used to be, for a worse product. though Gen 8 was the same thing so most of us didn't expect much more from Home
I don't want to defend the price or the product but saying Home is worse than Bank is very disingenuous. Bank was basic as gently caress.

PokeHome sucks for the hardcore and professionals and I empathize with y'all, but it definitely helps my "play Pokemon games just once using the mons that are in there" plan solidify going forward.

Intelleon and I will enjoy an adventure in Galar and then he retires there forever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't want to defend the price or the product but saying Home is worse than Bank is very disingenuous. Bank was basic as gently caress.

it's worse than games having native GTS functionality and being able to play the game from the console rather than your cell phone

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

man a desktop/web setup would be even better than mobile IMHO, I doubt it ever happens tho

Hypothetically, could you run an android emulator on your desktop to do exactly this? Not the most elegant solution ever, but workable?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Let’s see here:

Pokémon Bank has storage for 3000 and Pokémon Home has storage for 6000. With Home you can GTS trade 3 Pokémon and Wonder Trade 10 Pokémon at the same time without needing your Switch/3DS on you and a WiFi connection, plus a built in stats judge. IMO that it’s 16 bucks a year doesn’t seem that big a deal at least when compared to bank which everyone is fine with :shrug:.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mikemil828 posted:

Pokémon Bank has storage for 3000 and Pokémon Home has storage for 6000. With Home you can GTS trade 3 Pokémon and Wonder Trade 10 Pokémon at the same time without needing your Switch/3DS on you and a WiFi connection, plus a built in stats judge. IMO that it’s 16 bucks a year doesn’t seem that big a deal at least when compared to bank which everyone is fine with
That's three times more expensive then bank. A lot of people probably don't need the extra features it boasts over Bank so that's 11$ extra for features they don't need? Plus, unlike Bank, I can't just move everything back into the most recent game and safely let my sub lapse. Most people were not hitting the 3000 storage limit so Home doubling that doesn't mean much.

Features are confusingly split between a switch app and a mobile app.

Also it has a stat judge? You mean something they have no reason not to just build into the drat game to begin with?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxyclean posted:

Also it has a stat judge? You mean something they have no reason not to just build into the drat game to begin with?

SWSH has a stats judge...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pokemon Go has an IV checker and a squitle with a spooky hat. Imagine paying 16 for less than that.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

That's three times more expensive then bank. A lot of people probably don't need the extra features it boasts over Bank so that's 11$ extra for features they don't need? Plus, unlike Bank, I can't just move everything back into the most recent game and safely let my sub lapse. Most people were not hitting the 3000 storage limit so Home doubling that doesn't mean much.

I’ve got a bunch of mons in bank and I’ve let my sub lapse several times. Everything is there when I re-up. Should they be disappearing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

SWSH has a stats judge...
So there's literally no reason for the app to charge for it?

DonnyTrump posted:

I’ve got a bunch of mons in bank and I’ve let my sub lapse several times. Everything is there when I re-up. Should they be disappearing?
A lot of people have said the same, but IIRC the official stance is that there should be a grace period, but there's no promises.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The IV judge is probably there as a convenience feature so you can see which Pokemon in your storage has high IVs for trading without having to pull it down to SwSh, check there, then push it back up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
On serebii:
We've received some clarifications over how some elements in HOME work:
As suggested, it's confirmed that if you have the Premium Plan on Nintendo Switch, you have it on mobile and vice-versa if the apps are connected to the same Nintendo Account.
You do not need Nintendo Switch Online to access HOME features on the Nintendo Switch version
There are two ways to connect to Bank. First is simply having it connected to a Nintendo Network ID that is connected to your Nintendo Account. This also allows you to transfer ALL Pokémon from Bank to HOME at once. The second is using a password issued in Pokémon HOME. If you then enter it in Bank, it will connect the two so you can transfer. This allows you to transfer Pokémon Box by Box

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

Let’s see here:

Pokémon Bank has storage for 3000 and Pokémon Home has storage for 6000. With Home you can GTS trade 3 Pokémon and Wonder Trade 10 Pokémon at the same time without needing your Switch/3DS on you and a WiFi connection, plus a built in stats judge. IMO that it’s 16 bucks a year doesn’t seem that big a deal at least when compared to bank which everyone is fine with :shrug:.

The "trading without needing your Switch on you" thing isn't that great when you consider that you straight up can't use the trading features with your Switch because the two version of the app have different suites of features, but also you need to have first used your Switch to transfer over the pokemon you plan to trade away. Which may not be ones that people on GTS are requesting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The mobile app is convenient

Making the switch version incapable of using gts is very inconvenient

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lol, they straight up made sword/shield have worse trade functionality than previous games just so they could sell it back to you for 16 bucks months after launch

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I haven't finished Ultra Sun and have practically no interest in doing so but that first free month of Bank transfer is too enticing. :negative: I guess I'll just aim for the Ultra Beasts and whatever won't be available in the Crown Tundra.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's so weird that this gen they just decided "what if we made all our online functions a pain in the rear end work with this time?"

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

mikemil828 posted:

With Home you can GTS trade 3 Pokémon and Wonder Trade 10 Pokémon at the same time

These features should have been in the base game. I would have begrudgingly accepted a one-time charge for the Home features but they do not justify a monthly cost.

I would understand having a monthly charge because of the storage, but Pokemon data takes up barely any space and $16/year for that amount of storage is way too high. Considering that Pokemon Sword and Shield don't support cloud saves, I think that it would be appropriate for Nintendo Online to cover the monthly cost. They could have a separate, small subscription charge for people who want Home but don't want Online.

Genovera fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 28, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gruckles posted:

It's so weird that this gen they just decided "what if we made all our online functions a pain in the rear end work with this time?"

I think it's because of incompetence.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Gruckles posted:

They need to use FFXI PlayOnline.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think it's because of incompetence.

no, I'd say they were pretty competent in figuring out a new way to nickel and dime people

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Brother Entropy posted:

no, I'd say they were pretty competent in figuring out a new way to nickel and dime people

I blame the Let's Go games for starting it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MacheteZombie posted:

On serebii:
We've received some clarifications over how some elements in HOME work:
As suggested, it's confirmed that if you have the Premium Plan on Nintendo Switch, you have it on mobile and vice-versa if the apps are connected to the same Nintendo Account.
You do not need Nintendo Switch Online to access HOME features on the Nintendo Switch version
There are two ways to connect to Bank. First is simply having it connected to a Nintendo Network ID that is connected to your Nintendo Account. This also allows you to transfer ALL Pokémon from Bank to HOME at once. The second is using a password issued in Pokémon HOME. If you then enter it in Bank, it will connect the two so you can transfer. This allows you to transfer Pokémon Box by Box

So does this mean you can use the GTS without Nintendo Online? Or just the non-trade features?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Bee posted:

So does this mean you can use the GTS without Nintendo Online? Or just the non-trade features?

Not sure, but one pokemon at a time gts is a basic feature so possibly?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Bee posted:

You can probably do anything Home allows for without a Switch Online subscription.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm gonna use the free month of Bank to harvest the BP in the old games and get everything up then pay three bucks to thin out the herd on Shield and replace it with my old buddies.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The fact that these games only come with one save slot and the Switch won’t let you move saves makes the price of this thing cruel. At least let people cloud save their favorite 100 Pokémon to do the campaign over again.

I would have paid $10/yr for Home, but I guess I’ll just buy one month to start my game over (I picked Sobble and wanted to do a Grookey run) and then another month when the next game comes out to move whoever is allowed to go.

Fortunately I never bought any of the handheld games so I don’t have this huge collection of Dexited mons living in limbo like y’all.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Fortunately I never bought any of the handheld games so I don’t have this huge collection of Dexited mons living in limbo like y’all.

I spent way too much loving time hunting shinies and legendaries in ultra wormholes to not pay to keep them around. you're lucky

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I love the UBs and the Tapus and idc who knows it. anyone who doesn't love them can straight up get hosed!! I hate you!!!!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Genovera posted:

Yeah the price of Home is really off-putting. It costs nearly as much as Nintendo Online. I share a family plan with my husband so it's $35/year for that vs $32/year for two subscriptions to Home. I honestly expected Home to be either included with Online or for it to be the same price as Bank.

You can make up to eight accounts on a family pass, so if you aren’t sharing a Switch then just have four accounts on two Switch and trade back and forth. The other three accounts are your Pokemon mules.

It’s mostly solo players who need to buy Home under the justification that it’s cheaper than buying a Switch Lite and a family plan.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So basically, all mons that cannot be/not worth to be transferred over to SWSH need to go from the bank to USUM and the ones that I want in SWSH need to go in the bank so I can mass trade them over and safely cancel the bank.

Well, good thing I did not fill up the bank with too much garbage. But also this means I should make a backup safe of Ultra Sun to my computer. You know, just in case.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bank is gonna be dead soon and everyone will be marooned in USUM

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

indigi posted:

I don’t see it. They want people to keep buying old games on Virtual Console and whatnot. It’s why they remade Red/Blue with bank support for 3DS.

One of the only coherently managed things they’ve done is make every Pokémon catchable on 3DS between ORAS, USUM, and either Gen1 VC or Let’s Go. You no longer need to own ten games across four platforms, just three or four across two.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2020

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

indigi posted:

I love the UBs and the Tapus and idc who knows it. anyone who doesn't love them can straight up get hosed!! I hate you!!!!!

The one and only mon I ever shiny hunted for was Poipole and then everyone got him for free. :shepface:

Anyway I hope they let my giant dragon bee friend into Galar along with his freaky siblings.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Oxyclean posted:

Well then just keep everything in Bank as you have been doing, pay for a month of Home for 3 bucks whenever there is a new Pokémon game or dlc to move your old Pokémon into and for the rest of the year just use the free version of home for GTS trading. You get Pokémon Bank and the few features you need from Home for just 8 bucks a year.

Ultimately whether or not it actually is too expensive up to the consumer, clearly the Pokémon Company is looking at the billions they made on Pokémon Go and thinking they are leaving money on the table.

indigi posted:

They are still selling yearly passes so Bank isn’t going away for at least that long.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nothing in Pokemon Go is nearly as scummy as GameFreak's switch games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah so does home have any battle sim or the like ? Or is it just paying 3 subscriptions to house pokemon you cant use and pray that maybe they'll let you next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No battle sim