Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

snoo posted:

from the gbs thread

me, on day 5 of feeling like i 'just have a cold': :stonk:

loving a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

snoo posted:

from the gbs thread

imagine forgetting all your website passwords for 2 years, game over

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Uhh guys my pet fish have been coughing and sneezing a lot and there seems to be some blood in the mucus as well I've been eating all the mucus I can but I'm still not fish flu what gives??? Dietary advice only pls

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
add ginger, make a casket out of rice, serves one.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Uhh guys my pet fish have been coughing and sneezing a lot and there seems to be some blood in the mucus as well I've been eating all the mucus I can but I'm still not fish flu what gives??? Dietary advice only pls

:chef:
:fork:

eat more flu fish until fish flu fills your sinuses

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

A Russian troll farm posted:

loving amateur poo poo that it evolved pneumonia before extreme bioaerosol

real life is casual mode lmao just press buttons and you win

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

snoo posted:

from the gbs thread

god drat, that guy is lucky to be alive. once you go on the ventilator odds of survival are not great

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

snoo posted:

from the gbs thread

you've got the snooperflu

maybe if you inhale enough helium the coronavirus will float out of you and have an adventure like in Up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

power word- Jeb! posted:

god drat, that guy is lucky to be alive. once you go on the ventilator odds of survival are not great

lucky to be alive in hellworld

hell yeah

personally i just want to live long enough to see florida underwater, then i can die of mega sars nocvaoc fishpig bat wolverine death corona

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

3 more suspected cases in Brazil

https://mobile.twitter.com/minsaude/status/1222272776893091843

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Some casual doomsday theorizing here.

So it seems like, during most disasters, humans actually band together and help each other out, unlike what the movies show.

But I feel like a pandemic, or even just fear-mongering rumors of a pandemic might be the exception to the rule. It makes people view others as a threat, and suspicion for people showing even benign symptoms rises. Not to mention the fact that there's a big racist element to the fears around this outbreak in general.

Could be bad, maybe

Bullfrog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 28, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

have there been any updates on the conditions of people in the US with coronavirus?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

snoo posted:

have there been any updates on the conditions of people in the US with coronavirus?

Bankrupt.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

snoo posted:

Everyone on the west coast is dead

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can confirm i woke up dead this morning

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Centrist Committee posted:

Everyone on the west coast is dead

can confirm, i live in, or well, i guess i used to live, in san francisco area. now i'm a spectre stuck in the confines of the interweb only awaiting to be freed by the strong transhumanist heroine who will be created by evil corpos and will destroy capitalism and break free these fiber optics that bind me

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Really can't wait to find out that someone in the US has fish flu but didn't get it bad and didn't want to pay $200,000 to get shut in a room that they couldn't leave by themselves for two weeks so they just said gently caress it and didn't go

It's gonna own

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

why is LA traffic still bad

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've been lurking this thread and despite the data that it's highly contagious R0 whatever it's called and that I live in a large city I feel really apathetic about it. Not looking forward to a worse and longer version of the flu I got a few years ago though. I know the media went haywire about SARS, avian flu, swine flu, Ebola which was lovely for the people who lived in whatever region that was effected but this rarely hits the West as bad as it does in Asia and Africa.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The virus drives now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Really can't wait to find out that someone in the US has fish flu but didn't get it bad and didn't want to pay $200,000 to get shut in a room that they couldn't leave by themselves for two weeks so they just said gently caress it and didn't go

It's gonna own

It's gonna be the Uber driver in each city that took the sick people home from the airport and they have to keep driving to pay rent and spread it to several hundred other people each day

Imagine someone sick sneezing on their hand then opening the door and you later open that same door then wipe your nose. Rip

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

a.lo posted:

self driving cars

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

can confirm, i live in, or well, i guess i used to live, in san francisco area. now i'm a spectre stuck in the confines of the interweb only awaiting to be freed by the strong transhumanist heroine who will be created by evil corpos and will destroy capitalism and break free these fiber optics that bind me

I live in the PNW and yeah I "died" but my ghost got right up and started shitposting without missing a beat so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I'm sure old fashioned American gumption can solve this like it solved the opiod crisis.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

a.lo posted:

no trains

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Xaris posted:

self driving cars

Self driving sars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Idia posted:

I've been lurking this thread and despite the data that it's highly contagious R0 whatever it's called and that I live in a large city I feel really apathetic about it. Not looking forward to a worse and longer version of the flu I got a few years ago though. I know the media went haywire about SARS, avian flu, swine flu, Ebola which was lovely for the people who lived in whatever region that was effected but this rarely hits the West as bad as it does in Asia and Africa.
it's not so much on an individual level as a societal level. if you catch it very early, that's actually good. if you wait and end up catching it during peak and get unlucky with the genetic lottery, into the mass grave with u. i'm not worried as an individual.

america has a whole has like 70,000 ICU units (20 per 100,000 people), of which most don't have ventilators (possibly 2/3rds).

like if even 1% of the population is infected at a given time (given the r0 and contagious period during incubation w/o symptoms is probably gonna be understated: peak could be several times that with concurrent outbreaks in nyc, dc, sf, etc), that's 3+ million; and thus far mortality is ~3% and critical rates are 10%. How are you getting 300k+ people into ICU units? not even accounting for distribution of population. and hell lets say we're healthier than chinese and only 5% are critical, that ain't gunna work. like lots of people will just have to hope and pray while crammed into a hospital corridor

gunna be a whole lot worse for india, china, and brazil though, that's for sure.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
It begins! I'm in Austin and I just saw my first person riding on the bus wearing those masks. Looking forward to total societal collapse!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't recall exactly (When I made the post you're quoting I was in the middle of scanning through Twitter, Reddit, and a bunch of journalism digging up information) but there's been complaints about patients not getting tested and there's this story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/25/quick-burials-lack-tests-raise-fears-cornavirus-outbreak-much/

If they're running out of testing kits then it stands to reason that they wouldn't waste them on testing random corpses, right?

That's worrying but it still supports the 'only the older must fear' meme right?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Luckyellow posted:

It begins! I'm in Austin and I just saw my first person riding on the bus wearing those masks. Looking forward to total societal collapse!

Tomorrow I'm wearing my woodworking mask just to gently caress with people it could just be that tbh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Tomorrow I'm wearing my woodworking mask just to gently caress with people it could just be that tbh.

Don't forget to make loud coughing sounds at work if you have a open office space and tell your co-workers you went on vacation to China.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Don't forget to make loud coughing sounds at work if you have a open office space and tell your co-workers you went on vacation to China.

Everyone in my office (I'm also in Austin) has the sniffles and is coughing lmao

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
If I also see people in masks in public I'm gonna go ahead and get a medieval beak mask and maybe a black windbreaker to go with it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
have they stopped updated the number of 'cured' patients it wasn't in the update from yesterday

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's gonna own
if you “don’t get it bad” you’re probably just going to write it off as a cold

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Luckyellow posted:

lmao at all the idiots buying hand sanitizer and face masks while I buy up all the chrome spray paint and start stealing cars

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Doc Walrus posted:

I don't feel sick at all, but I have been having weird dreams about a 106 year old woman who still makes her own bread and wants me to come to Nebraska

i've been dreaming of hillary too, but i always do tbf

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222287921337774080

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
At 00: 00-24: 00 on January 28, 2020 , 840 new cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection were added in Hubei Province (315 in Wuhan, 33 in Huangshi, 23 in Shiyan, and new in Xiangyang). 61 new cases, 12 new cases in Yichang, 30 new cases in Jingzhou, 28 new cases in Jingmen, 27 new cases in Ezhou, 101 new cases in Xiaogan City, 111 new cases in Huanggang City, 21 new cases in Xianning City (46 cases in Suizhou City, 13 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 5 cases in Xiantao City, 11 cases in Tianmen City, 1 case in Qianjiang City, and 2 cases in Shennongjia Forest District). There were 25 new deaths in the province, including 19 in Wuhan, 2 in Xiaogan, and 1 in Jingmen, Ezhou, Huanggang, and Tianmen.

As of 24:00 on January 28, 2020, Hubei Province has cumulatively reported 3554 cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection (including 1905 cases in Wuhan City, 86 cases in Huangshi City, 88 cases in Shiyan City, 131 cases in Xiangyang City, 63 cases in Yichang City, 101 cases in Jingzhou City, 142 cases in Jingmen City, 84 cases in Ezhou City, 274 cases in Xiaogan City, 324 cases in Huanggang City, 112 cases in Xianning City, 116 cases in Suizhou City, 51 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 32 cases in Xiantao City, 34 cases in Tianmen City, There were 8 cases in Qianjiang and 3 cases in Shennongjia Forest District. 80 cases were cured and 125 died (including 104 cases in Wuhan, 1 in Huangshi City, 1 in Yichang City, 2 in Jingzhou City, 4 in Jingmen City, and Ezhou City). 1 case, 3 in Xiaogan, 5 in Huanggang City, 3 in Tianmen, and 1 in Qianjiang). At present, 3349 patients are still being treated in the hospital, of which 671 are seriously ill and 228 are critically ill, and they are all receiving isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. A total of 22,095 close contacts have been tracked, and 20,366 people are still under medical observation.

1 On Jan 27, the province's fever outpatient admissions 31,639 people, and observing 3644 people. 10702 people in Wuhan, 600 people watching; 1186 people in Huangshi city, 90 people watching; 2136 people in Shiyan city, 300 people watching; 2065 people in Xiangyang city, 209 people watching; 1086 people in Yichang city, 127 people watching; Jingzhou 1817 people in Beijing, 231 people watching; 935 people in Jingmen City, 116 people watching; 609 people in Ezhou City, 229 people watching; 2812 people in Xiaogan City, 535 people watching; 2416 people in Huanggang City, 303 people watching; Xianning 1263 people in the city, 92 people watched; 488 people in Suizhou City, 214 people watched; 1849 people in Enshi City, 146 people watched; 1,052 people in Xiantao City, 244 people watched; 658 people in Tianmen City, 143 people watched; potential There are 543 people in Jiangshi and 65 people watching; there are 22 people in Shennongjia Forest District.

so... 15%? pneumonia rate, of which 20% turn serious and 7% turn critical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
It’s pretty cool that this was already a really bad regular flu season and lots of people are still coming down with that/recovering. I got sick back in early December and I still have a lingering cough and now there’s a cold going around.

Gonna own to toss the coronavirus onto that mess and have a bunch of people going around thinking they just have a cold and still going into work because they used all their sick days already (assuming they have any).