Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zereth posted:

spoilers for the last part of jojo part 7

You might want to spoiler that for anyone who has only been following the anime or people still reading through the manga since that's the last battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

GNU Order posted:

My V5 group just finished a chronicle, and I decided it's the perfect time to retire my character. I figured what better way than to convert him into a loresheet. The group all loves it but I'd love some outside feedback from strangers who aren't afraid to be critical

1. Does the sheet seem balanced? I cribbed some of it from the V5 book for general ideas, and with the background dots you can just kinda balance out based on XP cost. The 5 dot feels balanced to me but it could end up being really OP/UP if I actually crunched the numbers.

2. Does the fluff do a decent job describing a character? I wrote it with the intention that it could be used by somebody who hasn't been playing with us weekly over the better part of a year. I tried to sneak in some stuff to flesh out his personality without getting in the way of the actual loresheet. The only V5 lore-breaking part is that, in our story, the Voermans were run out of LA after being caught with some Camarilla elders (we later discovered they were trying to prevent a war).

I also stole the V5 style because I'm that kind of person. Also there's a lot of commas and big long compound sentences because I'm a terrible writer.

Yo this is loving dope. What is codee dice? Seems very memy for a loresheet

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Metapod posted:

Yo this is loving dope. What is codee dice? Seems very memy for a loresheet

The name of the dude is Code-E. The ability is called Code-E Dice and it let's you get really lucky with dice. I'm going to guess this player has gotten more lucky than average over the course of the campaign and/or more lucky than average at very important and/or memorable moments, to the point where it became a running gag in the group.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Is Code-E pronounced as Cody?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

☝️ Pronounced how it looks. His real name is “Cody” of course but it’s his DJ name

Orange Devil posted:

The name of the dude is Code-E. The ability is called Code-E Dice and it let's you get really lucky with dice. I'm going to guess this player has gotten more lucky than average over the course of the campaign and/or more lucky than average at very important and/or memorable moments, to the point where it became a running gag in the group.

Bingo. I had a knack of always nailing the clutch roll when it mattered. The name of the ability is maybe memey but that’s always what we called it when it happened.

Appreciate the compliments from everybody as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

You might want to spoiler that for anyone who has only been following the anime or people still reading through the manga since that's the last battle
oh good point

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

GNU Order posted:

Bingo. I had a knack of always nailing the clutch roll when it mattered. The name of the ability is maybe memey but that’s always what we called it when it happened.

No shame in that. You write a thing for the enjoyment of your group, you don't need to worry about its appearances outside the group, you name it what everybody thinks is fun and appropriate. Know your audience.

I have no deep thoughts on the loresheet, being mostly unfamiliar with V5 systems, but my one nagging thought is that I feel like the dot range from one to three or at least one to two feels a little lowballed and underwhelming. I don't actually know how far a loresheet dot typically goes, so I might well be wrong on this, but dot one in particular feels pretty underwhelming to me: spend a dot of your character sheet resources on "I can get into the club, I'm cool." That doesn't feel like something that should be enough of a hurdle to cost a dot investment unless you're a wanted killer or Tumor Nosferatu or something. Maybe push the two-dot ability down to the one-dot, and at two dots, expand on the suggestion that Code-E's club functions as the Rack, something about how your friendship and trust means somebody at the club can meaningfully and reliably hook you up? Maybe hook something in with the way I remember particular vessels give bonuses when fed on in V5, if you need the right taste, Code-E knows about what's happening around town enough that he always can think of somebody who'll fit the bill, and at two dots you're close enough that he doesn't mind pulling a few strings to get you there, even if it's not at the club itself.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been addressed at some point since release, but as I've previously mentioned the Onyx Path forums and Google are terrible and I have an Awakening question:

Is Self-Repairing Machine a bad spell? It seems to just do what Nigredo and Albedo would do with extended duration, but worse.

Is there something I'm missing? Does SRM exist solely as a slowed-down, subtler version of extended-duration NAA to avoid Dissonance?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm thinking of setting a v5 game in the 1980s. I wanna move the metaplot timeline so the v5 metaplot is still active -- the Sabbat are in the middle east early, the Second Inquisition is going early, etc. Is there any particular big plothole I'm running into or problem I'm setting myself up for?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm thinking of setting a v5 game in the 1980s. I wanna move the metaplot timeline so the v5 metaplot is still active -- the Sabbat are in the middle east early, the Second Inquisition is going early, etc. Is there any particular big plothole I'm running into or problem I'm setting myself up for?

Surveillance by the government is going to be a lot less omnipresent and a lot more personal. Less cameras on every street corner tagging body temps and more dudes in trenchcoats watching you from the corner.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

AIDS and the terror/paranoia surrounding it will be much more of a thing. As of now (in prosperous Western countries) HIV+/AIDS is more of an expensive inconvenience for most people. The drugs work, they're widely available and covered by insurance. Back in the 80s AIDS was the Gay Death Plague. It was the thing that was going to end humanity. You could maybe get it from a toilet seat (no, you couldn't).

While Kindred can't die from AIDS, figure there will be intense awareness within the Kindred communities of it. Somebody "poisoning the well" by spreading it to/among humans and potentially breaking the Masquerade with people catching it who didn't get blood transfusions or have sex is going to be a "Stake them and leave them in the Sun" punishable offense.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 27, 2020

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Everyone posted:

AIDS and the terror/paranoia surrounding it will be much more of a thing.

I found a news story set in 84 in my city about a cop who straight up fled the scene of a burglary because the victim had AIDS. It's truly hard to wrap your head around if you were too young or not alive during it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I found a news story set in 84 in my city about a cop who straight up fled the scene of a burglary because the victim had AIDS. It's truly hard to wrap your head around if you were too young or not alive during it.

I distinctly remember seeing commercials as a kid (born in '84) during the late 80's and early 90's that were basically debunking a bunch of myths about AIDs. You couldn't get it from kissing someone, using the same bathroom, etc.

At the time I couldn't really understand it, obviously, but years later and looking back on it...we were in a really hosed state as a nation that commercials had to be made in order to educate the populace. Christ.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Honestly we could really use some of those now, just not from the current administration or media outlets owned by supporters thereof etc

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Everyone posted:

Back in the 80s AIDS was the Gay Death Plague. It was the thing that was going to end humanity. You could maybe get it from a toilet seat (no, you couldn't).

My ST ran Masquerade games set in the 70s and 80s, to avoid dealing with Gehenna and cell phone cameras. I clearly remember one session, when we were blood bonding a cop, when the question of "Wait, is AIDS a thing he'd be concerned with?" came up and we checked online for the history. The game was set in 1981 or '82, just as the CDC was starting to discover the disease, and when it was still called GRID.

Gay-related Immunodeficiency.

That was an eye-opener for us.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vavrek posted:

My ST ran Masquerade games set in the 70s and 80s, to avoid dealing with Gehenna and cell phone cameras. I clearly remember one session, when we were blood bonding a cop, when the question of "Wait, is AIDS a thing he'd be concerned with?" came up and we checked online for the history. The game was set in 1981 or '82, just as the CDC was starting to discover the disease, and when it was still called GRID.

Gay-related Immunodeficiency.

That was an eye-opener for us.

I remember that back in 1987 or 88 , my little sister was in high school as part of the Beta Club. She ended up on some kind of "mock-trial" thing as part of the defense. I don't remember the case name but it basically "Student vs. City High School." The student was a girl who had become HIV-positive through a blood transfusion and was suing the school to be allowed to continue to play on the girls' basketball team, from which the City High School had removed her. The school was refusing due to safety/infection concerns.

The lead council for the student argued the ridiculously low chance of any infection as well as new treatments like AZT.

The lead council (not my sister) for the school argued that even with new drugs, the degree of risk was DEATH (you could hear the "all caps" in his voice).

I remember being ambivalent and slightly inclined toward the (fictional) student even though my sister was on the defense team for the school. My sister's team still won and most of the "audience sentiment" was in her team's favor because people were terrified of this poo poo. Her team went on to some statewide thing (with a different case) but lost there.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Extremely dumb and subjective question here but which line of books tend to be more fun to just read and enjoy for the themes and worldbuilding, CoD or oWOD?

I just poured over the Wraith Anniversary and Promethean core books and utterly loved both.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nckdictator posted:

Extremely dumb and subjective question here but which line of books tend to be more fun to just read and enjoy for the themes and worldbuilding, CoD or oWOD?

I just poured over the Wraith Anniversary and Promethean core books and utterly loved both.

Do you prefer weird, semi-connected vignettes and mysteries, or a definite plotline?

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

the Mekhet clanbook is the absolute best of Requiem 1E. Also it's not a perfect book (some of the disciplines are really busted and one bloodline weakness needs to be houseruled to play around, no idea what they were going for with the Bak-Ra) but i love a lot of the ideas Ancient Bloodlines introduces (the Indian kindred society, the buddhist monks who discovered similar powers to the Coils of the Dragon, the bloodlines spawned by World War 1, the En Emperor).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nckdictator posted:

Wraith is very good. I really recommend the Book of Legions and Doomslayers: Into the Labyrinth if you ever get the chance. They're honestly two of my favorite books WW's ever done.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nckdictator posted:

*taps sign*

Soonmot posted:

here's a link to the best book ever released: The Horror Recognition Guide

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Mors Rattus posted:

Do you prefer weird, semi-connected vignettes and mysteries, or a definite plotline?

The former.

Thanks all!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How hard would it be to use the Trinity Continuum rules to run Feng Shui?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

How hard would it be to use the Trinity Continuum rules to run Feng Shui?

It'd be a bit of work. One thing you'd want to pick up is the fan-made "Fists of Flux" product which details wuxia effects.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just asking because I'm trying to catch up on FATAL and Friends and got to the part whichd etails all the problems with Feng Shui's ruleset. Which made me really want to run Feng Shui campaign despite the rules problems.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Nckdictator posted:

The Mekhet book is phenomenal work by Howard Wood Ingham, and has spectacular art that replicates a style of niche occult magazines from the UK circa the 1970s. Daeva is probably my second favorite clanbook with some fantastic little short stories loosely connected throughout. Secrets of the Covenants has a similar style, but focuses on the vampire factions rather than their family groups.

Outside of vampire, I'd recommend Mage. For oWoD Mage the Ascension, I recommend the pure dose of weirdness that was the first edition corebook from the early 90s before any other author or developer touched it. If you like that, all of the technocracy books are good for different reasons. 1E is a look at contemporary technocracy and its uses and abuses in the 20th century from eugenics to Bush. The guide to the technocracy is extremely tongue in cheek propaganda. The revised technocracy books are an open attempt to protagonize the villains while (crucially) not invalidating the narratives of the previous books. They form a pretty great narrative.

If you like occult weirdness and secret histories and fictional metaphysics, I recommend the 2nd edition Mage: the Awakening core along with Signs of Sorcery.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Is it wrong that after a while I started thinking that, at least in the tail end of MtAs, the Technocracy actually seemed pretty awesome?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand is still mad that M20 decided to declare that actually, the Trads do hate light bulbs and you should support this other, third collection of factions instead.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I love how people poo poo on Twilight but the average Twilight Vamp makes any local Prince look like Jesse Eisenberg. Twilight vamps have like 8 or 9 dot Celerity, Potence and bunch of other unique superpowers. Not to mention sun immunity and can get by on animal blood. Twilight vamps would wreck any Kindred if there was a cross over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Twilight vampires were pretty much no downside, right?

I feel like they'd still get their shirt wrecked by vampires from either WoD - Mostly because they haven't spent eternity scheming on how to murder each other.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Blitz7x posted:

I love how people poo poo on Twilight but the average Twilight Vamp makes any local Prince look like Jesse Eisenberg. Twilight vamps have like 8 or 9 dot Celerity, Potence and bunch of other unique superpowers. Not to mention sun immunity and can get by on animal blood. Twilight vamps would wreck any Kindred if there was a cross over.

Twilight was written by someone who had no knowledge of vampire lore beyond "They need blood!"
There's nothing stopping Twilight vamps from taking over because their only weakness is the same as humans (Everything dies to fire.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

Rand is still mad that M20 decided to declare that actually, the Trads do hate light bulbs and you should support this other, third collection of factions instead.

Yes, this is precisely correct.

Also I am mad that they picked this decade of all decades to decide that fascism and pogroms aren’t so bad and we should appreciate Big Brother better.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The problem with liking or disliking any one given faction in M20 is that the fundamental underpinnings of the setting mean that almost anything can be handwaved away with "well, that's just how it is because you BELIEVE it, man." Like the Technocracy being the faction of lightbulbs, refrigeration, and vaccines is good (leaving aside all their actual material trappings of very, very, very evil like Rand mentions) in a world where those things work because of science, but M20 is a setting where those things work because of science, BUT science only works because the majority of people think it so.

If the predominant belief system was that the germ theory of disease wasn't real and miasmic theory was, you'd just tell people to stay away from the swamp and Bad Air and like, not sleep in a room with a running fan or whatever, and they'd be fine.

But ultimately what you end up with is a setting where you'd think that defeating the hideous global hegemon would remove the boot from everyone's necks, but because of how Consensus Reality works, what would really happen is that everyone would believe what they already had experience with until shown otherwise, at which point you'd have a situation where vaccines cure you over here but they cause autism over HERE, your teeth are cleaner because of fluoridated water over here but your mind has been made weak and your will malleable because of hideous fluoridated Poisons over THERE. To say nothing of what happens when you end up in the part of town where people literally can and will pray your gay away.

M20: A setting of deep and profound horror because anyone winning is also, in fact, losing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is ultimately why I can't take anything about oMage seriously, ultimately - it's all arguing about wallpaper and whose version of racism is correct.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

This is ultimately why I can't take anything about oMage seriously, ultimately - it's all arguing about wallpaper and whose version of racism is correct.
In the battle of phrenologists versus anti-vaxxers versus eugenicists versus The Omega Catholics, the best possible outcome is a fully Fallen World

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

There's also the serious problem of the Technocracy being composed of the fever-dreams of right-wingers who think climate change is a trick to expand government, water flouridation is mind control, and we need to burn academia to the ground for not sufficiently respecting the Classics. Those things are just... pretty much true in OMage, and the Technocracy is very specifically the Globalist Agenda, as I understand it.

This means that the theory of power and society held by the Traditions looks a lot like Milo Yiannopolis saying 'politics is downstream from culture' and blaming everything on modern impiety and lack of respect for tradition. The Technocracy is absolutely written as doing awful things, but I can't blame a reader who finds it deeply uncomfortable and is thus more ok with the later revisions where the Technocracy is less pure evil, because they lean away from that right-wing conception of the world.

Compare the Seers of the Throne, who are a hugely superior antagonist faction for being what the Technocracy was supposed to be: Their writing has a theory of power and oppression that is founded on much more incisive social critique and much more complete understandings of the world, and thus doesn't fall into the famous situation where 'anti-semitism is the socialism of fools' - or in the case of OMage, 'the flat earth is the skepticism of fools.' Believing in the flat earth because you're skeptical of technocracy/rule by experts absolutely happens, but it doesn't mean flat earthers are good, or improving the world in any way.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tetrabor posted:

Twilight was written by someone who had no knowledge of vampire lore beyond "They need blood!"
There's nothing stopping Twilight vamps from taking over because their only weakness is the same as humans (Everything dies to fire.)

The hell is vampire lore? Bram Stoker mostly just made poo poo up while working through his weird sexual issues and the sunlight thing was introduced by Hollywood because they needed a way of killing a vampires less violent then decapitation or a stake through the heart. There are no ancient books of vampire lore to go consult.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

Heard Brucato talk about this in an interview once. Basically, back in the early 90s, he gets handed this game full of weird protagonists, and as the new line dev he decides, sensibly, to give the Traditions some moral problems and depth so that player Traditionalists would want to fight back against it and clean house before fighting the neoliberals and technocrats and fascists. The problem is that once a few supplements with this thought process released, the Traditions were just awful and corrupt, so he gave up on them. He said in the interview that he thinks the traditions are themselves the fascists. The Book of Crafts that preceded M20's Disparate Alliance was his early attempt to create a set of protagonists that he could root for.

Mage: the Awakening - as other posters have pointed out - did a much better job of this. The Orders are absolutely morally compromised in different ways, but the Seers are the most evil, most fascistic faction by a long shot and no supplement tries to tell the player that the Seers are in any way heroic or uncorrupt.

At any rate, I certainly did not want to start a classic debate over the Technocracy. I don't think they're the real heroes of Mage, and I don't think many of the writers of the technocracy books themselves thought so. The earlier books where they're a bunch of gordon gekkos, CIA spooks, and eugenicists wrapped up in terminator aesthetics are grand. The infamous Guide to the Technocracy is a great book as long as you know that you're being fed a line of bullshit. The sequel series in the Revised era are about the technocratic survivors of the avatar storm reforming the Technocracy and in some cases making it even more horrifying. The thing that is always hard to parse with oWoD stuff is that the writers try to give you the villanous perspective, and it gets difficult for a lot of readers to not get taken in. Not everyone knows that the revised Syndicate book wasn't written by a psychotic Ayn Rand fan, or that the author was writing viscous parodies of awful capitalist ideologies while his family members were getting foreclosed on.

If you keep all that in mind, the narrative in the Technocracy books is very enjoyable. Just...don't read anything by Brucato about the Traditions. He lost faith in them before the 90s were over. I don't think Brucato is without talent. His Mage: the Sorcerers Crusade is fantastic, and his Book of Worlds is one of my favorite supplements of all time, but for good stuff on the Traditions as protagonists, you gotta read Malcolm Sheppard's supplements, which were always focused on characterizing them as heretical, marginalized weirdos cleaning house and punching tyrants.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

neaden posted:

The hell is vampire lore? Bram Stoker mostly just made poo poo up while working through his weird sexual issues and the sunlight thing was introduced by Hollywood because they needed a way of killing a vampires less violent then decapitation or a stake through the heart. There are no ancient books of vampire lore to go consult.

Mostly? Eastern european legends. A whole loving lot of them. The vampire's a big part of that whole cultural sphere and has been for a lot longer than Bram Stoker. Not just them, though - vampire scares were a real world thing up until, like, the late 1800s. There was a big one in New England, centered on Connecticut, in the 1850s.

There's actually a lot of medieval and pre-modern lore on vampires.

e: mind you, WoD ignores most of it. The counting thing's a relatively common one...the pijavica getting picked up for nVamp was actually really cool, they're real lore. Nails through the hands and feet is a common piece of lore, as is use of ash wood. Dhampir legendry a whole side avenue to mine which is pretty cool. Mind you for most of this the vampire is a disease thing rather than a sexiness thing, including the Great New England Vampire Panic.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 30, 2020