Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason a lot of languages are really in love with base 20. It's in older english too, and yan tan tethera is also base 20.

Yeah, Welsh uses the vigesimal system, but also has a decimal system running along side it. Because the way the vigesimal systems counts 11-14 as "x on ten" the word for 12 is the same as the word for 20 in the decimal system - "deu ddeg". As Welsh speakers will often know both systems you'll have people sometimes switch between the two. I was watching some rugby on S4C and the score at half time was 12-20 and the commentator said "Team A deu ddeg, team B deu ddeg."

EDIT 131 - Cant tri deg un.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Welcome to a world called Gor! *whipcrack*

Sorry i know that makes no sense on this page but i refuse to go back and quote someone to provide context

That was such a great thread. I wish we had more threads where a sound or something was randomly coded into it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT February 2020 -

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The problems start when Danes speak.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

bessantj posted:

Yeah, Welsh uses the vigesimal system, but also has a decimal system running along side it. Because the way the vigesimal systems counts 11-14 as "x on ten" the word for 12 is the same as the word for 20 in the decimal system - "deu ddeg". As Welsh speakers will often know both systems you'll have people sometimes switch between the two. I was watching some rugby on S4C and the score at half time was 12-20 and the commentator said "Team A deu ddeg, team B deu ddeg."

EDIT 131 - Cant tri deg un.

When I was a kid we were taught 12 was undeg dau and twenty was dauddeg.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When I was a kid we were taught 12 was undeg dau and twenty was dauddeg.

Yes, when I was first taught Welsh numbers it was all decimal so 'un deg un', 'un deg dai', 'un deg tri' and 'dai ddeg', 'dai ddeg un' and so on and a little later was taught the vigesimal system which I already had some idea about because an aunt was said to be 'deugain' rather than 'pedwar deg'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I enjoyed watching The Bridge and hearing the Swedish and Danish interactions *sega logo*

by mental conversion into "zero seven eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". The written format I'd use would never be anything other than "0787-65 43 21", anything else looks ugly and wrong to me. If someone reads my phone number back to me to confirm it, but they use some other format, I'd have to convert it mentally first

I've been led to believe english-speakers usually don't do this? This is only the second-most common verbal phone number format in use here though, behind the wrong and ugly "zero, seven hundred-and-eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". the "seven hundred and eighty-something" is a lot less cumbersome to say in Swedish, which it has in common with some, but definitely not all, other continental germanics languages

Yeah people usually just say the digits, I think typically we use groups of three just because they kinda form a nice mental unit that's easy to remember. One-oh-three, six-seven-eight, that kind of thing. But whatever works for the situation. Sometimes people even do little conversational bits like one-double-six for 116, or one-thousand-and-one because that sticks in your head easily

Pairs of digits work too and they'd get used sometimes, it just depends what feels appropriate. Probably not for a long number like a phone number because you end up with a big string of units to remember

The point/comma thing's interesting because if someone says "comma" it has that sense of a pause, or a list of things, and it would feel word for splitting a number into its integer and decimal part. But it's just what I'm used to. Honestly people use spaces for the big separators anyway, that's not a big deal

Now the really weird thing is how people couldn't agree on what a frickin billion was for ages

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Now the really weird thing is how people couldn't agree on what a frickin billion was for ages
The UK officially adopted the short scale in 1974, but people still carried on using long scale informally well into the 90s.

Currently most dot countries seem to use short scale, and most comma countries use long scale.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Was there even a way to notate which you meant though? Imagine the financial crimes

e- gonna put on this dawn b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TuwiuPMWc

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 28, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the wrongest language is danish. even they can't defend their numbering system
That's precisely why we need to defend it; it's uniquely terrible. All the sorta terrible languages can fix their numbers, but we'd do future generations a disservice by homogenizing the world like this.

(Our national bank has printed two series of bills with femti (five-ten) instead of halvtreds though. Neither attempt stuck.)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

Was there even a way to notate which you meant though? Imagine the financial crimes

e- gonna put on this dawn b

When I worked in finance, for reasons no one could explain, we used 123 mark 45 for currency, 123 mark 456 for shares.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Trickjaw posted:

When I worked in finance, for reasons no one could explain, we used 123 mark 45 for currency, 123 mark 456 for shares.

that sounds very sus...

Dawn's out the gate saying as deputy, if Labour MPs go on TV trashing the party they're getting kicked out :hellyeah:

also that she kept trying to get Corbyn to put the boot in in PMQs. Writing stuff on his papers and going SAY IT JEREMY

owning hard in general, this is a fun watch

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

that sounds very sus...

Dawn's out the gate saying as deputy, if Labour MPs go on TV trashing the party they're getting kicked out :hellyeah:

also that she kept trying to get Corbyn to put the boot in in PMQs. Writing stuff on his papers and going SAY IT JEREMY

Never made sense to me. I can only assume it's to avoid verbal misconceptions, but even that's a stretch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Dawn owns and I'm voting her #1 even though I don't expect her to win or even really come close

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

"what would you do if you had journalists camped outside your house day and night?"
'call my brothers'
"what would they do?"
'remove them'

she also just came out with a crisps metaphor, truly the thread's champion

e- she just cackled for like half a minute when they asked how she'd be different from the previous occupant of the deputy position, everyone's having a great time

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 28, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Julio Cruz posted:

Dawn owns and I'm voting her #1 even though I don't expect her to win or even really come close

She won't because the left factions are supporting Burgon and Rayner is on the RLB/GMB ticket. She's easily the best of the 3 though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Barry Foster posted:

Hello my dears.

I'm back, not to talk about whatever fresh lamentable hell we find ourselves in (I don't want to know) but to ask your advice. I'm particularly asking Ms Adequate and Rarity, if yous are still hanging out here.

I found a letter on my Dad's laptop. I didn't read it, just saw the title, but it was something like 'there is a legal age limit for driving, drinking, joining the army, and there should be for trans treatment too'. I thought that after being wrong about everything before - he was intensely homophobic til my cousin and my brother both came out, lol - he might have learned his lesson, but it seems he's jumped straight onto the new bigotry de jour.

I'm not going to convince him of anything within the 'debate', because he's a stubborn old bugger and is more profoundly assured that he is right about everything than almost anyone I've ever met. I just want him to keep it to himself.

Can anyone (again, esp. Ms A, Rarity, and any other trans posters I've forgotten) have a look at this draft email and make any suggestions? It's kind of a personal email, but I trust and am comfortable with you all.

TIA x

Sorry, I missed this at the time, just wanted to say I don't really have anything to add to your letter. I do appreciate that you're doing this though, it means a great deal to have allies <3

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hi thread, I'm here to pick some brains.

I live in a 10 year old apartment block in london, built as part of a complex of 3 identical blocks arranged in a triangle with a shared green space in the middle. Some are private, some are shared ownership with a housing association. The private units come up for sale now and then, all within a similar price band which you'd expect given that the flats are all identical (except for a handful of disabled access units with different layouts on the ground floors of each building). But in the last year or so theres been a handful pop up for sale way waaaaaay above the going rate, the last was almost 200k more. They only appear on the estate agents page for a few days at most at then they're gone. Is there some kind of money laundering thing going on or is it something more mundane? This is an old established residential area, they dont feel like the kind of places you see bought and sold as investment units.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The entire London property market is an elaborate money laundering scheme with some people who happen to live in it so it really wouldn't surprise me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Miftan posted:

She won't because the left factions are supporting Burgon and Rayner is on the RLB/GMB ticket. She's easily the best of the 3 though.

My constituency nominated her!

On 4th preference. Turns out STV is a huge pain in the rear end!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Transferable votes are the one case where I'd support machine assisted vote counting.

Not electronic voting booths with unaudited code, but like volunteers transcribe the votes to cards and you just run them through an IBM 83 a few times.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

London is an elaborate money laundering scheme with some people who happen to live in it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

hi thread, I'm here to pick some brains.

I live in a 10 year old apartment block in london, built as part of a complex of 3 identical blocks arranged in a triangle with a shared green space in the middle. Some are private, some are shared ownership with a housing association. The private units come up for sale now and then, all within a similar price band which you'd expect given that the flats are all identical (except for a handful of disabled access units with different layouts on the ground floors of each building). But in the last year or so theres been a handful pop up for sale way waaaaaay above the going rate, the last was almost 200k more. They only appear on the estate agents page for a few days at most at then they're gone. Is there some kind of money laundering thing going on or is it something more mundane? This is an old established residential area, they dont feel like the kind of places you see bought and sold as investment units.

Wait a couple of weeks and check Zoopla/Rightmove to see if they actually *sold* for that price, and more importantly whether any other units sold around the same time. I can only assume it's the old estate agents card trick updated for the digital age - say you've got a unit for sale that is worth 300k, you put a similar unit in the window for 500k and sell your unit for 400k telling people what a bargain they're getting. The actual trick is normally a bit more complex than that to try and cover your trail but that's fundamentally how it works.

Money laundering through property wouldn't normally involve an estate agent or public listing that way (unless you're using a variation of the above trick to artificially inflate the price as part of a mortgage leg of the laundering scheme).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Transferable votes are the one case where I'd support machine assisted vote counting.

Not electronic voting booths with unaudited code, but like volunteers transcribe the votes to cards and you just run them through an IBM 83 a few times.

You don't need anyone transcribing anything, America has been using direct punch-card voting since the 1950s (hence all the stuff about chads in the 2000 election).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

baka kaba posted:

that sounds very sus...

That owns, where are you seeing it?

I'm going Butler>Burgon>Rayner>RAK>Murray I think

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You don't need anyone transcribing anything, America has been using direct punch-card voting since the 1950s (hence all the stuff about chads in the 2000 election).
That's exactly why I'd prefer people transcribing.

e: That and some of the templates they use to match candidates against columns are just dire for end users, like the butterfly ballot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That's exactly why I'd prefer people transcribing.

e: That and some of the templates they use to match candidates against columns are just dire for end users, like the butterfly ballot.

But manually transcribing is going to take a shitload more time and effort and vastly increases the points of failure for both error and deliberate manipulation than just making the ballots machine-readable. Just do it like those test marking sheets or something.

Come to think of it, with modern OCR there's literally no reason for manual counts of paper ballots as they currently exist other than samples for verification and not-immediately-clear marks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cool.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1222249675631267841?s=19

Cool cool.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1222195095254065154?s=19

Cool cool cool.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1222085840454737920?s=19

Perfectly normal, functional country.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sebzilla posted:

That owns, where are you seeing it?

I'm going Butler>Burgon>Rayner>RAK>Murray I think

it's on that Novara link I posted

it was live so I wound it back but it's obviously over now. Dawn might be at a rave though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But manually transcribing is going to take a shitload more time and effort and vastly increases the points of failure for both error and deliberate manipulation than just making the ballots machine-readable. Just do it like those test marking sheets or something.

Come to think of it, with modern OCR there's literally no reason for manual counts of paper ballots as they currently exist other than samples for verification and not-immediately-clear marks.
The more clever and optical you make it, the more likely there's going to be a bunch of electronics that nobody has properly audited in there, that gets into the same security basket as electronic voting machines.

There's a mid point there, you could have Scantron style cards filled in with pencil at the polling booth, a semi-fancy machine that transcribes those to punched cards and is verified by a volunteer pool, and your standard Hollerith machines to run the vote, tested on known packs the day of counting.

That could take care of most of the ease of use issues for the average voter, edge cases for swastikas made of making GBS threads dick nipples, do fast runs on multiple count voting systems, and the weakest point security wise would still be when the bins full of ballots are moved around with two people in the back of a van, so no worse than present.

You still need to make sure that the voter ballot templates aren't formatted like rear end though.

The FCA told banks that their authorized and unauthorized overdraft rates couldn't be so wildly divergent, nor could they set punitive unauthorized overdraft charges, so they opted to gently caress over everybody :toot:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Dis gonna be great when my bank, who could erase my overdraft this second having already made a handsome profit, decides to just charge me more, almost infinitely increasing their profit

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Aidan_702 posted:

Dis gonna be great when my bank, who could erase my overdraft this second having already made a handsome profit, decides to just charge me more, almost infinitely increasing their profit

Just according to keikaku.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Hi, just popping in as I normally do when the subject comes up to say: as a programmer we should be nowhere near vote counting. I'm still amazed we're allowed near money and aeroplanes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

baka kaba posted:

A billion is 1 miljard, obvs

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason a lot of languages are really in love with base 20. It's in older english too, and yan tan tethera is also base 20.

Probably because we have ten fingers and ten toes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're counting sheep barefoot I suspect you may be doing it wrong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does this mean that fine art was lying to me all along?

More importantly, why didn't they make it base 28, to include the sheep's toes?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Guavanaut posted:

Does this mean that fine art was lying to me all along?

More importantly, why didn't they make it base 28, to include the sheep's toes?
I think that's less representative of reality, and more representative of artists being horny for shepherdess feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

"Give me my child back, you don't even have wool"