Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

It's not exactly uncanny valley, but it's close. Very weird and somewhat unsettling, but not creepy like a zombie or the Japanese sexbots. It's more funny creepy. It requires its own category. It's the "Tom Hooper's Cats" category of the uncanny valley. Not sure if there is anything else that falls into that category though.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've been trying to watch that screener now for days and man is it hard to get through. My typically very chill cat jumped up next to me and kept clawing and biting at me until I finally turned it off towards the end of "Jellicle Songs for the-what-have-yous." Later on I picked it back up, and couldn't make it beyond Rum Tum Tugger before I just couldn't. This movie truly belongs in the theater, where you're more of a captive audience.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Awww come on, they pulled the growltiger fight scene from youtube over copyright. Glad you all saved the screencaps of the missing leg

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

If anyone wants to see Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat (the cat of the railway train) in another role, he was amazing in the filmed version of the Alice in Wonderland ballet. He plays the Mad Hatter who alone out of the main cast is a tapdancer which I think is a lovely little bit of character building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8zqhqjUIo

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Awww come on, they pulled the growltiger fight scene from youtube over copyright. Glad you all saved the screencaps of the missing leg

Speaking of Growltiger. Here's the cut "Growl Tiger's Last Stand" song and dance number that was originally in the play in the 80s, but they cut it out in the 90s because the Siamese Cats are referred to as "chinks" and have racist Chinese accents.
https://youtu.be/QIlhJMyqdgU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Ccs posted:

Guys, they all have perfect human hands. It’s fur to the wrists, then hands. That’s the style. It’s not one of the vfx mistakes.
Jennyanydots missing her goddamn feet, that’s a mistake.

Her feet are just hidden behind a plank or some other kind of elevated thing. It’s just that the elevated part is the same color as the part that she’s standing on so it’s hard to tell for sure.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Gianthogweed posted:

Speaking of Growltiger. Here's the cut "Growl Tiger's Last Stand" song and dance number that was originally in the play in the 80s, but they cut it out in the 90s because the Siamese Cats are referred to as "chinks" and have racist Chinese accents.
https://youtu.be/QIlhJMyqdgU

Wow, this clip shows two performances on two different years taped back to back. By the second clip the Growltiger laugh got invented, for one. The outfits and choreography changed. It's insane how much the play changed every year.
(and no one ever thought to remove the racist stuff, lol)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ccs posted:

Guys, they all have perfect human hands. It’s fur to the wrists, then hands. That’s the style. It’s not one of the vfx mistakes.
Jennyanydots missing her goddamn feet, that’s a mistake.

No, in the original version, the fur rendering stopped at her wrists like an open sleevehole.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Wow, this clip shows two performances on two different years taped back to back. By the second clip the Growltiger laugh got invented, for one. The outfits and choreography changed. It's insane how much the play changed every year.
(and no one ever thought to remove the racist stuff, lol)

It really wasn't until the 90s that people started caring about that stuff. Remember that Song of the South was re-released in theaters in the 80s.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Gianthogweed posted:

It really wasn't until the 90s that white mainstream people started caring about that stuff. Remember that Song of the South was re-released in theaters in the 80s.

fixed

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 29, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh! Well I never have I ev-oops

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Tag yourselves.

I'm Old Deut's toes

I'm the whiskers on just one side of her face

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

This Aint Cats XXX

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TremorX posted:

I've been trying to watch that screener now for days and man is it hard to get through. My typically very chill cat jumped up next to me and kept clawing and biting at me until I finally turned it off towards the end of "Jellicle Songs for the-what-have-yous." Later on I picked it back up, and couldn't make it beyond Rum Tum Tugger before I just couldn't. This movie truly belongs in the theater, where you're more of a captive audience.

I’m genuinely nervous about this being my feelings as well when I give it a home go

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I love Mistoffelees' face, lmao

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They didn't just straightwash Mistoffelees, but every single male cat comes off as a straight incel in the new one

Oh wait except Skimble

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

They didn't just straightwash Mistoffelees, but every single male cat comes off as a straight incel in the new one

I know you're not talking about Skimble

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Absolutely no one in Cats knows what loving is, but goddamn it, they'll find away around that roadblock in any way they can. Except Skimbleshanks. Skimbleshanks fucks.

There's a shot near the end of the movie where I'm 90% sure it's a male cat lovingly feeding James Cordon and that's pretty much as far as it goes in the possibility of some gay-rear end cats.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
What's the over/under on the number of Bustopher Jones food fetish & feeder fanfics?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

We need more gifs from this leak.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

just another posted:

What's the over/under on the number of Bustopher Jones food fetish & feeder fanfics?

Doesn't he in film puke some food onto someone? We're already canonically in 2 Cats, 1 Cup territory.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The David Lynch short film What Did Jack Do wherein David Lynch interrogates a talking monkey about a murder is on Netflix now, it is waaaaaaaaay better than Cats, and it's even a fair comparison! It has a musical number and a similar intentional pastichization of language.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I forget now if they changed the lyrics, but they just change wives to lives for Old Deuteronomy's song? As a tom, he had 99 wives.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

finally saw cats. it was with friends and one of them didn't realize it was the movie because she thought i meant the musical, then it turns out she knew nothing of the movie and saw none of the trailers, and then asked me "do they wear cat ears or something?"

she did enjoy the movie, although she made a lot of very verbal confused noises in the first half because just accepted the insanity.

i had to pee during gandalf's bit so i missed his ending but made it back in time for skimbleshanks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/jenyamato/status/1222186642884067328?s=19

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neo Rasa posted:

The David Lynch short film What Did Jack Do wherein David Lynch interrogates a talking monkey about a murder is on Netflix now, it is waaaaaaaaay better than Cats, and it's even a fair comparison! It has a musical number and a similar intentional pastichization of language.

I watched this two nights ago and came away with the district feeling that the monkey's lines were from some chat bot.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there an audio recording of the 98 video cast like there was for the Broadway cast?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TTBF posted:

Is there an audio recording of the 98 video cast like there was for the Broadway cast?

Looks like the answer is yes - google chucked up this spotify link, no idea if it works for folk.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/18aktWHOPbFQKVe5ZUPzoX

e: Wait that doesn't sound like the Jellylorum I know. This may be a filthy lie.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Looks like the answer is yes - google chucked up this spotify link, no idea if it works for folk.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/18aktWHOPbFQKVe5ZUPzoX

e: Wait that doesn't sound like the Jellylorum I know. This may be a filthy lie.

That’s the 83 Broadway recording. I don’t think a recorded version of the 98 one exists, although I’d be hype if it did ‘cause they always cut my favourite part from all of the albums (the Pekes and Pollicles song) :argh:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
ikr, why can't the two catchiest songs just be less racist enough to be able to sing them out loud?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Surely it'd be simplicity itself to cut out the three or four stupid Orientalist lines from the Pekes and the Pollicles so we could still get to see cats pretending to be dogs having a stupid fight.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
Yeah I think in newer productions that song replaces the Growltiger song (which is a lot harder to salvage, woof) and they edited the few racist lines in it. I really thought it was going to be in the movie right after Gus’ song bc they’re on a stage, but, nope

SKIM
BLE
SHANKS

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Yeah I think in newer productions that song replaces the Growltiger song (which is a lot harder to salvage, woof) and they edited the few racist lines in it. I really thought it was going to be in the movie right after Gus’ song bc they’re on a stage, but, nope

SKIM
BLE
SHANKS

Pekes and Pollicles was in the original version of the play. I remember seeing it as a kid back in the 80s. It wasn't on the original soundtrack though because there wasn't enough space on the vinyl. I think they moved it to Act II and replaced Growl Tiger's Last Stand in the newer version of the play and Gus sings it now instead of Munkustrap.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Just thinking about when Skimbleshanks spins so fast he rockets into the sky and disappears into dust. Good evening, friends.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Gianthogweed posted:

Pekes and Pollicles was in the original version of the play. I remember seeing it as a kid back in the 80s. It wasn't on the original soundtrack though because there wasn't enough space on the vinyl. I think they moved it to Act II and replaced Growl Tiger's Last Stand in the newer version of the play and Gus sings it now instead of Munkustrap.

Yeah that’s why I thought they’d go into it instead of Growltiger, what with Gus already being up on the stage. I always thought the trash costumes they wore during that part of the show were really cute, plus it’s catchy as gently caress.
It’s a shame Gus sings it tho and not Munkustrap, my fave part of the 98 version is watching him slowly lose his mind while the others fail to follow his instructions. He has big “theatre kid on opening night” energy and it’s hilarious :allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've seen one version where Gus performs 'The Pekes and the Pollicles' as written but Munkustrap has an 'oh god grandpa is being racist again' reaction and tries to shuffle him off the stage. Really rather they'd rewrite it.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I've seen one version where Gus performs 'The Pekes and the Pollicles' as written but Munkustrap has an 'oh god grandpa is being racist again' reaction and tries to shuffle him off the stage. Really rather they'd rewrite it.

Haha, that's actually a pretty clever way of getting away with it. Andrew Lloyd Weber took the 1935 poems he read over and over again as a kid and adapted them to lyrics with very little changes to the words keeping all of the pre-WWII orientalism intact. I think he's a bit of purest when it comes to those poems and resists changing the words no matter how offensive they've become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

YggiDee posted:

I dunno, I don't hate this. It recontextualizes the problematic element into a problematic character trait that the work as a whole no longer endorses. If you're gonna keep it as written, this is probably genuinely the best option.