Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Overbite posted:

Says that's Dean Takahashi playing, the same guy who did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk

He's gotta be doing this on purpose now, right? He knows this will bring rage clicks and twitter noise. Like, no one lacks that much self-awareness right? R-right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don’t see any other reason they would upload 10 minutes of someone floundering around in one area, unable to progress. It shows nothing of the game, it shows nothing of how it’s played, it just shows the dude is bad at game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lurker2006 posted:

I've heard this used to describe the originals and I just don't see it, even with their primitive visuals in mind, there's just way too much canon fodder and upbeat metal for that.

Stages and areas with limited or flickering light + moody music definitely created a feeling of creepiness and dread, only heightened by feeling especially vulnerable if you were low on health and/or ammo. Toss in a few spectres in a dark area and Doom 1/2 had the capability to make me jump and go "gently caress" irl even in tyool 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Stages and areas with limited or flickering light + moody music definitely created a feeling of creepiness and dread, only heightened by feeling especially vulnerable if you were low on health and/or ammo. Toss in a few spectres in a dark area and Doom 1/2 had the capability to make me jump and go "gently caress" irl even in tyool 2019

The revenant noises down in some shadow areas always made me nervous. The “clop-thud” of the cyberdemon always gets an “oh gently caress” out of me, even playing now.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh yeah 100%, hearing the cyberdemon's hooves or the breathy growl of an archvile was enough to put me on high alert and slow my roll

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

dogstile posted:

I checked through the last 5 pages and didn't see this, so sorry if this is reposted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgtgSN_cfDs

This is Vulturebeat trying to get through the game. It rivals the Polygon review on sheer :wtf:

I love when he spends about 3+ minutes not moving, switching between the map and just randomly shooting at the wall, then he finally gets the courage to jump down on to the platform, makes the jump, and just walks straight out into the lava anyways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lurker2006 posted:

I've heard this used to describe the originals and I just don't see it, even with their primitive visuals in mind, there's just way too much canon fodder and upbeat metal for that.

Its easy to overlook now, but when doom 1 came out, absolutely

That part in E1M3 toxin refinery where you grab the pickup and the lights turn off and a monster closet opens

Definitely can be very spooky. That's what inspired Half-life, GabeN wasn't good at Doom so he would slowly creep around corners afraid of what was next, instead of blasting through like an action star.

The game industry has changed so much since '93. You can't underestimate how different doom was back then.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i've been playing playstation 1 doom and that poo poo is dark and creepy as gently caress. somehow harder too but i think thats just the controller. its a great port. had some legit scares from the reworked maps and the UV doom 2 monsters hanging out in doom 1 maps. poo poo my pants quite a few times.

but yeah even the OG with the metal music (on snes for me at least) it still felt spooky and gave that sense of dread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doom had its scary levels. Dark, flashing lights, monsters placed as jump scares, ones where you were hearing demons everywhere but not finding them. That was definitely part of the first games, it wasn't all run and gun action.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
For me I have distinct memories of being scared shitless by a random pinkie demon in the maze area of e1m4.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

One of my favorite things about 2016 doom is it’s way more action adrenaline and way less spooky scary adrenaline. The lighting, sounds, and monster placement in classic doom still totally freaks me the gently caress out.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Uhh did we know about this already? No microtransactions, unlock poo poo with xp, for free. Sounds good to me, hugo.

Creative director Hugo Martin broke the news in a Facebook comment, which has been doing the rounds today. He said that Doom Eternal has no digital store and the cosmetic items are purely cosmetic with no extra advantages. “Eternal is a $60 game, not a free-to-play game or a mobile game—we are giving you a complete experience with no store just like you’d expect. Unlocking skins with XP is a part of the experience if you care about that stuff, or you can completely ignore it,” explained Martin. “It’s all free.”

https://www.videogamer.com/news/doom-eternal-cosmetic-items-are-unlockable-with-experience-not-micro-transactions

This is completely false in the sense there isn't any MTX in the game. Let me explain:

You can purchase XP Boosts with real money - this has already been covered multiple times and confirmed. XP is the currency "in game" when you buy unlocks, cosmetics, etc. This is Bethesda. Nothing more than a word play here as they are easily able to reduce the amount of XP and add more grind to drive people to purchase XP boosts. The back end is all in control just like a mobile game to control advancement via other means, increase grind and reduce XP gains there by limiting your purchase power without RMT for boosts.

In other words, yes there is a "hidden" MTX system in which it is two layered and Hugo Martin can state this and still be factually correct. You cannot buy anything in the store with real money - but they can control the in game currency flow and charge just as easily to increase that flow. In essence they CAN slow it down to completely unreasonably levels. This isn't just cosmetics - this is everything that can be unlocked via XP in the home base.

This will be pretty fleshed out one way or another on release. But remember, this is Bethesda we are talking about here. And Hugo has no say in anything from a monetization stand point when it comes to just how bad was the XP gain neutered for this to sell XP Boosts to make a dent in unlockable progress.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 28, 2020

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Utnayan posted:

You can purchase XP Boosts with real money - this has already been covered multiple times and confirmed.

No you can't, and no it really wasn't. Boosters does not mean XP boosts.

Utnayan posted:

In other words, yes there is a "hidden" MTX system in which it is two layered and Hugo Martin can state this and still be factually correct.

No, there isn't. You're conflating speculation from sources with a statement from Hugo likely (we can't see the original post he's commenting on) addressing that speculation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My uncle Hugo who works at id said that weapon reloading was back in and people could pay $1 for an instant ammo reload whenever they want.

thanks id

thid

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

MJBuddy posted:

Yes, it does.

https://mp1st.com/news/report-doom-eternal-battle-pass-confirmed-along-with-boosters

Before Hugo's Statement XP Boosts were mentioned all over the internet as being available to help progress through the game quicker. What else would these boosters be needed for?

If this wasn't Bethesda I wouldn't think it would be nefarious. FYI.

I'm going to rent it from Gamefly but we will see soon enough what the ambigious term "Boosters" mean in short order.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 28, 2020

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MJBuddy posted:

No, there isn't. You're conflating speculation from sources with a statement from Hugo likely (we can't see the original post he's commenting on) addressing that speculation.

What the hell else would boosters mean?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deakul posted:

The rocket boosters attached to doomguy's wheelchair, obvs

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Utnayan posted:

Yes, it does.

https://mp1st.com/news/report-doom-eternal-battle-pass-confirmed-along-with-boosters

Before Hugo's Statement XP Boosts were mentioned all over the internet as being available to help progress through the game quicker. What else would these boosters be needed for?

If this wasn't Bethesda I wouldn't think it would be nefarious. FYI.

I'm going to rent it from Gamefly but we will see soon enough what the ambigious term "Boosters" mean in short order.

All over the internet here is just folks seeing the word Boosters in the Giant Bomb video and calling it XP Boosts. No one has seen XP Boosts, a store, or anything like MTX.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Deakul posted:

From a Reddit post referencing the Facebook group I'm not in so I can't confirm:

"On Facebook yesterday Hugo explained what boosters are. Boosters allow you to "sponsor" up to four other players and passively gain XP based on how well they do. The better the players you sponsor, the more XP you get. It's something new that hasn't been done in a game before"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MJBuddy posted:

From a Reddit post referencing the Facebook group I'm not in so I can't confirm:

"On Facebook yesterday Hugo explained what boosters are. Boosters allow you to "sponsor" up to four other players and passively gain XP based on how well they do. The better the players you sponsor, the more XP you get. It's something new that hasn't been done in a game before"

okay that sounds cool as hell and possibly a good way to foster positive MP interactions. I'm very intrigued.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MJBuddy posted:

That's.... a weird idea.

Wouldn't everybody just pick the same hardcore streamers? So they have to accept?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
sponsor me, and i promise you i will rip and i will tear. alot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When are we making a list of slayer goons to sponsor/invade/battle mode with?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man I can't wait for this game to come out so I can completely ignore its multiplayer/community-interaction components.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I do miss that demons would be hanging out in og doom. You could sneak up on dudes or hear imps oinking in some part of the level you hadn't seen yet

Am I misremembering or were pinkys originally just called "demons"? I had some players guide from back in the day and they were described as shaved gorillas that were made as big and strong as mack trucks

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 28, 2020

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Mordja posted:

Man I can't wait for this game to come out so I can completely ignore its multiplayer/community-interaction components.

:hmmyes:

Unless they come up with a coop mode that is Nightmare x4 so you and your buddies can rip and tear as much as possible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really like the idea of invasions in DOOM. More demons for me to rip and tear through. :black101:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait to be slaughtered by people who have put multiple thousands of hours into FPS games and have twitch reflexes that enable them to only ever nail headshots from the other side of the map

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ilmucche posted:

I do miss that demons would be hanging out in og doom. You could sneak up on dudes or hear imps oinking in some part of the level you hadn't seen yet

Am I misremembering or were pinkys originally just called "demons"? I had some players guide from back in the day and they were described as shaved gorillas that were made as big and strong as mack trucks

You are 100% correct. Original Doom's enemies were:

DOOM readme.txt posted:

-------------------------------------------------------------
THE ENEMY
-------------------------------------------------------------
From the very first moment you enter the door, till the last
gunshot of the game, you'll be fighting a host of baddies.
Some are just regular guys with a bad attitude, others are
straight from Hell. Some of the monsters you'll face aren't
shown here. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Former Humans (dudes in filth-covered combat suits): Just a
few days ago, you were probably swapping war stories with
one of these guys. Now it's time to swap some lead upside
their head.

Former Human Sergeants (dudes in black armor, also filthy):
Same as above, but much meaner, and tougher. These walking
shotguns provide you with a few extra holes if you're not
careful!

Imps (brown thorny hominids): You thought an imp was a cute
little dude in a red suit with a pitchfork. Where did these
brown bastards come from? They heave balls o' fire down your
throat and take several bullets to die. It's time to find a
weapon better than that pistol if you're going to face more
than one of these S.O.B.s.

Demons (pink horrors, vaguely humanoid): Sorta like a shaved
gorilla, except with horns, a big head, lots of teeth, and
harder to kill. Don't get too close or they'll rip your
fraggin' head off.

Spectres (vague, half-formed shapes): Great. Just what you
needed. An invisible (nearly) monster.

Lost Souls (flying skulls): Dumb. Tough. Flies. On fire.
'Nuff said.

Cacodemons (gigantic floating one-eyed heads): They float in
the air, belch ball-lightning, and boast one Hell of a big
mouth. You're toast if you get too close to these
monstrosities.

Barons of Hell (you'll know 'em when you see 'em): Tough as
a dump truck and nearly as big, these goliaths are the worst
thing on two legs since Tyrannosaurus rex.

A lost detail I love about it is how while spectres are of course invisible pinky demons in-game, the implication was that they were these half-existing things that got messed up during the teleportation process.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 28, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Correct. The manual for doom just called them demons. Pinkies was either an internal nickname or something the fans came up with.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Utnayan posted:

This isn't just cosmetics - this is everything that can be unlocked via XP in the home base.
Aside from all the other stuff people mentioned, what can be unlocked in the home base that isn't cosmetic?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

Aside from all the other stuff people mentioned, what can be unlocked in the home base that isn't cosmetic?

Oh and literally nothing shown in the home base was unlockable with XP. It was all shown to be unlockable with collectables and unlockables from the main campaign.

The only XP related system shown in any preview footage was the battle pass looking level complete window that had some cosmetic icons and skins.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pinkies are the Little Finger of Doom enemies.

Pumped for this new dose of DOOM by the way, they better keep these hits coming! I got entertainment needs, id.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
so should I do the $90 pre-order for the season pass or whatever the gently caress it's called

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 29, 2020

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Heavy Metal posted:

Pinkies are the Little Finger of Doom enemies.

Pumped for this new dose of DOOM by the way, they better keep these hits coming! I got entertainment needs, id.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

CIA: What happens if I take your helmet off?
Doomguy: It will be very painful...
CIA: You're a big guy, you can handle it.
Doomguy: ...for you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

They were! "Pinky" seems to be a canonized community nickname to differentiate them from demons as a term for all the enemies in the game. Doom 64 called 'em Bull Demons, probably for much the same reason.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Office work is hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVyaOHZBHU