Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did the robots get him to not want to kill himself—like, talk him through his issues or whatever—or were they just showing up to interrupt him whenever he was about to do it?

Well, first they try and tell him the Resistance soldier lied to him, but when that doesn't work they just rip off his head and upload his mind to Skynet and kickoff Judgement Day early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's a funny moment (as in, it's meant to be inspiring and dramatic but comes off as goofy as hell) in Robocop Vs Terminator when the resistance prevent Skynet's creation by killing Robocop, followed by change rippling through the timeline and chains being cast off, flowers blooming, peace and love, etc - and Skynet promptly goes "Agh! No, gently caress that!" and hurriedly sends yet more Terminators back to restore the skull-littered hellscape.

Skynet eventually wins in the resulting timeline and wipes out all life on Earth. Now what? Well, there are a lot of stars out there, potentially with planets supporting living things of their own - so it builds an armada of space galleons manned by T-800 endoskeletons to sterilise the whole galaxy. Yep, thinking big.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Payndz posted:

Well, there are a lot of stars out there, potentially with planets supporting living things of their own - so it builds an armada of space galleons manned by T-800 endoskeletons to sterilise the whole galaxy. Yep, thinking big.
I would watch this movie

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
That's something that's never really explored in the films - what would Skynet do once it won? The war is justified as self-preservation, but I can see it quickly turning into I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream once the Resistance is destroyed and the AI goes "okay, now what?"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wild T posted:

That's something that's never really explored in the films - what would Skynet do once it won? The war is justified as self-preservation, but I can see it quickly turning into I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream once the Resistance is destroyed and the AI goes "okay, now what?"

That's the cautionary AI part of the story - Skynet doesnt 'want' anything but to destroy threats.
It's something TSCC was trying to build up to exploring; building an AI that didn't just want to kill all humans as a counter to Skynet.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The best thing for Terminator would be to make one without Arnold, without Skynet, and without any connection to the Connor family. Maybe even without time travel but still have it contemporary. Even if it means borderline adapting Snatcher, just do something else with it.

The core idea of Terminator was James Cameron having a spooky dream where he was being endlessly chased by an unstoppable loving thing. Skynet, time travel, and messianic Connors are the just the vehicle for that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Szmitten posted:

The best thing for Terminator would be to make one without Arnold, without Skynet, and without any connection to the Connor family. Maybe even without time travel but still have it contemporary. Even if it means borderline adapting Snatcher, just do something else with it.

The core idea of Terminator was James Cameron having a spooky dream where he was being endlessly chased by an unstoppable loving thing. Skynet, time travel, and messianic Connors are the just the vehicle for that.

Where my mind goes when proposed with "Terminator without time travel but still contemporary" is Person of Interest but there's no Machine, just Samaritan. It's gone quietly rampant and begun assassinating domestic targets that it calculates are likely to present future threats when it advances far enough that its growing self-awareness can no longer be hidden, some obvious and some seemingly random. The "Terminator" in this scenario is simply the enormous, barely-accountable paramilitary counterterrorism/anti-immigration machine we've already built and happily handed over to an AI to operate with ruthless digital efficiency.

Of course this would in almost no way resemble a classic Terminator movie, but then again, neither does this world vis-a-vis the early 80s.

E: gently caress I just rewrote every 90s "cyber thriller"

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 28, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Terminator where you just make another movie and let the franchise end instead

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

A Terminator where you just make another movie and let the franchise end instead

Essentially.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Yea that's what we've gotta just accept. Terminator has run its course(and then some). If there's a new Terminatoresque movie to be made, lets use Terminator as an inspiration and an influence, but to make something new. We don't need new ideas with Terminator aesthetics shoehorned into them.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Alchenar posted:

That's the cautionary AI part of the story - Skynet doesnt 'want' anything but to destroy threats.
It's something TSCC was trying to build up to exploring; building an AI that didn't just want to kill all humans as a counter to Skynet.

It seemed like they were building up the John Henry subplot as kind of an homage to Wintermute and Neuromancer. I could easily see the show culminating in John Henry merging with or overtaking Skynet to create a new AI that has learned morality and isn't down with the whole genocide gig.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If there's ever more Terminator it should just be a third season of Sarah Connor Chronicles that takes place 11 years later or however long since it was cancelled.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Neo Rasa posted:

If there's ever more Terminator it should just be a third season of Sarah Connor Chronicles that takes place 11 years later or however long since it was cancelled.

She bolts upright as her fuel cell gets a recharge for the first time in 11 years. But that means? DUN DUN DUMB!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d accept a Band of Brothers-style series set in 2029, with some random Resistance squad doing military stuff and gradually contributing to the war effort as a whole by liberating prison camps or whatever, leading up to the movie players being sent back in time for the events of the movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Xenomrph posted:

I’d accept a Band of Brothers-style series set in 2029, with some random Resistance squad doing military stuff and gradually contributing to the war effort as a whole by liberating prison camps or whatever, leading up to the movie players being sent back in time for the events of the movies.

It would be fun if they played on the audience expectations and none of the soldiers were named "Kyle Reese", everyone keeps waiting for him to show up, and in the end they pick another soldier to go into the past and John tells him he needs to go by the name "Kyle Reese" because that's what his mom told him.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Szmitten posted:

Luckily for you it's like Dark Fate was written primarily to give you some of that.

The whole thing just felt like a movie to write Arnie and Furlong out of the franchise.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wild T posted:

There's a cut plot from Salvation that there's gated communities of the people who help run Skynet, since, even as a machine, it can't do everything by itself, but that turns into basically Elysium.

If I wanted to reboot the franchise, I would really play up an "unreliable narrator" angle to the story, with not getting the real motivations out of either the Terminator or the Resistance smuck sent back. Like I would have "Sarah Connor"'s fate not be the mother of the savior of humanity, but instrumental in the creation of Skynet itself: the Terminator is sent back on a multi-role mission to eliminate threats to Skynet but also it's birth, but also help "Sarah" bootstrap it into existence. It doesn't really understand why it needs to do this, it's just the means to complete the loop. Meanwhile, the Resistance soldier sent back is to kill "Sarah", but himself has limited information and no weapons, so he needs to find her, but make sure it's her to prevent any time paradoxes popping up. He too can be on a multi-role mission where he needs to assassinate other key figures in Skynet's creation, so both the Terminator and the Human Resistance fighter lines are blurred. Maybe augment the Resistance fighter to confuse things even more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

There's a cut plot from Salvation that there's gated communities of the people who help run Skynet, since, even as a machine, it can't do everything by itself, but that turns into basically Elysium.

Amusingly there's a brief shot or two in the final movie where you can see said rich folks observing terminator's oppressing folks in silhouette.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kin posted:

The whole thing just felt like a movie to write Arnie and Furlong out of the franchise.

I still LOL that Genisys was kind of sort of going for that in a way that didn't feel too hamfisted but basically walked it all back at the very very end.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Szmitten posted:

my new Terminator film concept: With Cyberdyne flattened, the Pentagon gets directly involved in future artifact research, using data gained from... i dunno, corporate espionage or whatever. The project is led by a colonel who, 17 years of being given escalating and frequently contradictory directions by the three overseeing generals later, only manages to develop a chronic ulcer.

Szmitten posted:

The core idea of Terminator was James Cameron having a spooky dream where he was being endlessly chased by an unstoppable loving thing.
my new Terminator anthology film concept: It's about a punching ghost. The ghost is also the specter of communism.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All that is solid melts into liquid metal, all that is holy is profaned,

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator film concept: With Cyberdyne flattened, the Pentagon gets directly involved in future artifact research, using data gained from... i dunno, corporate espionage or whatever. The project is led by a colonel who, 17 years of being given escalating and frequently contradictory directions by the three overseeing generals later, only manages to develop a chronic ulcer.

The film climaxes when the colonel slams back a bottle of medicine, exclaiming "You're tuminated fucker"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The film isn’t the only thing that climaxes. :heysexy:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

Amusingly there's a brief shot or two in the final movie where you can see said rich folks observing terminator's oppressing folks in silhouette.

That plus John not really knowing what he's doing or how to succeed were really good ideas and although the movie wasn't very good, I think Salvation could have been a great movie and up there alongside the first two if it was done properly. They had good ideas and were on the right track but just screwed things up. It had a lot of potential.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

That plus John not really knowing what he's doing or how to succeed were really good ideas and although the movie wasn't very good, I think Salvation could have been a great movie and up there alongside the first two if it was done properly. They had good ideas and were on the right track but just screwed things up. It had a lot of potential.

'A film about the war' could be alright, but Salvation is a mess of ideas. It's unclear if Connor is still the protagonist (that was a rewrite). There's a time travel element hidden there (the T-800 has been developed a decade early, also Skynet knows that Kyle Reese is important and has to die) but other than the implications its all gone. There's that 'literally Elysium' plot point of human collaborators that's literally reduced to shadow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The film isn’t the only thing that climaxes. :heysexy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhbrXKpKJo

Alchenar posted:

'A film about the war' could be alright, but Salvation is a mess of ideas. It's unclear if Connor is still the protagonist (that was a rewrite). There's a time travel element hidden there (the T-800 has been developed a decade early, also Skynet knows that Kyle Reese is important and has to die) but other than the implications its all gone. There's that 'literally Elysium' plot point of human collaborators that's literally reduced to shadow.

SUNKOS posted:

Agreed, it's one of my most hated films ever just for how much it squanders and McG among my least favorite people ever because of it.

Like forget everything you know about how Salvation turned out and imagine it's late 2008 and you hear a new Terminator movie is coming out with a huge budget and a ton of practical effects instead of just CG but it will also have great CG and it takes place entirely in the future war and is about young Kyle Reese and how John Connor is leading the resistance but doesn't have as much foreknowledge of things as he expected to and we'll see the various evolutions of SkyNet's robots and it has Christian Bale, Anton Yelchin, Common, Michael Ironside, and Terry Crews in it as heavy hitter Resistance folks and is being written to serve as both a reboot and a prequel and a sequel simultaneously by the guy that wrote The Prestige and most of The Dark Knight. :aaaaa:

gently caress McG.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
A Nolan wrote Salvation??? Jesus, McG hosed up even harder than I knew. How does he have a career? Why is he getting these opportunities? Wtf worked so well that he's still coasting on it, the video for All Star?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To be fair Salvation was one of those movies that was caught up in the writer’s strike going on at the time, so it was getting slapped together and re-written and reshot by non-writers scrambling to cobble something together. See also: Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.

I don’t hate Salvation, I think it’s got some cool elements in it. A protagonist learning they’re actually a Terminator is a slick twist (that was spoiled in the trailer). The T-600s were a neat design and I liked how bulky and relentless they were. I liked the showdown with the T-800 at the end for the most part - the CGI endoskeleton looked real good, drenching it with molten metal was a cool visual, and having it give Connor his scars was neat. The whole sequence from the Harvester attack at the gas station through to the moto-terminator chase ending with the HK dragging the truck off the bridge was a really cool setpiece.
As a whole it’s kind of unfocused, but I don’t really mind it. Granted it’s easier to just pick out the clips I want to rewatch on YouTube than it is to rewatch the whole movie, but oh well.

Surprisingly, Salvation got a comic book sequel years after the movie came out, and I found it to be a remarkably coherent continuation of the movie while being a satisfying end to the Future War, and simultaneously tying back to the first 3 movies in believable and interesting ways. It also had parallel stories playing out in both the future and the past, and the pacing managed to keep the “past” story interesting and kept you wondering what bearing it would have on the “future” story right up until it’s conclusion, sort of like the movie ‘Frequency’. It also had some of the ideas mentioned in this thread, like a Terminator sent back in time by Skynet to protect a target rather than kill them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616554991/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_i1kmEbKWWGZ9G

If we’re going down the rabbit hole of Terminator comics, and it really is a massive rabbit hole of crazy poo poo, the quality is all over the map from “great art, not great story”, “bad but so loving insane you can’t look away”, “genuinely clever ideas”, “just plain bad”, and everything in between.
Hell, comic book artist Alex Ross’s very first professional work was the comic “Terminator: The Burning Earth”, and it’s loving gorgeous.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 28, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I stumbled across The Burning Earth in a used bookstore. I remember the story being OK, but being pre-T2 it’s in its own little universe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I stumbled across The Burning Earth in a used bookstore. I remember the story being OK, but being pre-T2 it’s in its own little universe.

The story has some neat moments, and some “ehhhh” stuff, but the art is the standout part. It takes the premise that Kyle was wrong when he said Skynet was defeated as he was sent back in time, and Skynet reboots after he leaves and continues the war in earnest. I think it takes place in 2039, and the Resistance is all but wiped out since Skynet has been re-nuking the planet and using HKs to deploy chemical warfare. Like there’s a part where John Connor contemplates eating a bullet because he just can’t take it anymore and he’s starting to think that humanity is hosed anyway.

The art for Connor is noteworthy because since it came out pre-T2, nobody knew what Connor was supposed to look like. He’s distinctly drawn with Linda Hamilton’s facial features, like it’s very clear that he’s her kid.

If you like Alex Ross’s art, I’d say it’s practically a must-read. Like, the art is way, way better than the story deserves and greatly elevates the material, in my opinion.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alchenar posted:

All those things are in the film, though. The film undeniably is about John Connor struggling to lead without the benefit of prophecies, and the spectre of class warfare haunts everything.

The only ruffle is that John Connor is not a protagonist but a (minor) antagonist who gets ‘converted’ at the end of the film. It’s a Batman v Superman situation.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

A Nolan wrote Salvation??? Jesus, McG hosed up even harder than I knew. How does he have a career? Why is he getting these opportunities? Wtf worked so well that he's still coasting on it, the video for All Star?

Salvation was a Frankenstein script with half a dozen writers, Nolan only came on when Bale was cast as Conner and did rewrites to give Conner an actual role in the movie. Before Bale signed on Conner's role was the one Michael Ironside played in the final movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I picked the green ending too

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Seemlar posted:

Salvation was a Frankenstein script with half a dozen writers, Nolan only came on when Bale was cast as Conner and did rewrites to give Conner an actual role in the movie. Before Bale signed on Conner's role was the one Michael Ironside played in the final movie.

That's one thing I really liked about the movie as well, was that the resistance had leaders and John was treated as a grunt that they thought was crazy. He had some believers but didn't really know what he was doing and having a bunch of older guys holed-up in their sub thinking they knew best running the show was a clever change. Casting Ironside was a great choice, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Skynet say no and kill everyone?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just saw Dark Fate. It certainly wasn't anything groundbreaking but I have to say I really did enjoy the characters and their interactions. And that goes a long way towards making a movie entertaining, I definitely would rewatch Dark Fate before Genisys and it's wooden lead actors. Mackenzie Davis blows Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke out of the water, she was the best new addition to Terminator since Robert Patrick.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 29, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Just saw Dark Fate. It certainly wasn't anything groundbreaking but I have to say I really did enjoy the characters and their interactions. And that goes a long way towards making a movie entertaining, I definitely would rewatch Dark Fate before Genisys and it's wooden lead actors. Mackenzie Davis blows Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke out of the water, she was the best new addition to Terminator since Robert Patrick.

Is Mackenzie Davis going to be typecasted now as she played a Nexus 8 replicant in the new Blade Runner and her character in this also?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Is Mackenzie Davis going to be typecasted now as she played a Nexus 8 replicant in the new Blade Runner and her character in this also?

I doubt it. Her character in Dark Fate isn't great because she's part robot, she's just a really really good character with an interesting personality that I enjoyed watching for 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Dark Fate gave me the same feeling that Rambo did, it was a movie that didn't need to be made and didn't really add to the storyline from T1 and T2. Just a rehash with some nostalgia moments.

They even use the call back to "I'll be back " twice.