Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’ve just caught up on the show (fell off midway through the previous season, not because I didn’t like it, but work/travel/getting married made keeping up with it difficult), and if nothing else, this episode has me wondering where the hell we go from here. Haven’t felt that in a long time from Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

mehall posted:

I don't like that theory, because the only reason to bury the TARDIS is if it's stuck as a police box, which means it's post Hartnell.

This could still be worked around. We've been told it's *stuck* in that appearance, but if this is a cycle pre-Hartnell, perhaps it's the Doctor subconsciously switching it back to the appearance it had once before. FWIW, we also don't definitively know that it's the same Tardis, just that it looks similar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

A black, female Doctor, you say?

When did Disney buy Doctor who? That is clearly Rocket on the cover there.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Huh, I was convinced that it would be alternate/split universe to explain why the master came back from being for realsies dead after so little time on screen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Huh, I was convinced that it would be alternate/split universe to explain why the master came back from being for realsies dead after so little time on screen.
The Master has been for realsies dead like 23 times. When they come back, the explanation is "I lived." You do this once, it's hacky. You do it three times, it's lazy. You do this 23 times, it's genius.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The Master has been for realsies dead like 23 times. When they come back, the explanation is "I lived." You do this once, it's hacky. You do it three times, it's lazy. You do this 23 times, it's genius.

The Master: *explicitly gets mutilated, vaporized, and erased from the timeline*

Also The Master: *strolls into the room in the very next episode without even a hint of explanation*

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’m not super knowledgeable about Who mythology so I don’t have a dog in the fight about “what it all means,” but I’m glad that Jodie is finally given some depth to work with other than being the “happy let’s go adventuring, fam!” Doctor. I don’t mind her being a more cheerful and optimistic Doctor than the other NuWhos, but I know she can handle more so I’m glad to see it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:lmao: Dang, that's cold, Kai.

And now I've got a real hankering to watch "Children of Earth" again, especially now that I'm familiar with Peter Capaldi.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Can we just have the rest of the season with Jodie and Jo travelling together? Or just a season or two of Jo. I’m easy either way.

My bf is already very fond of who he is dubbing ‘Space Auntie’.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Chinball only said Jo is not from an alternate universe. What if Jodie is?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
As in our Doctor, or 13 specifically?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My guess is someone screwed with the Doctor's timeline so hard it's rewriting itself underneath her, and we're going to get one of those ONE OF THESE DOCTORS MUST LIVE moment where they both refuse to be the one that lives since the other one will die :3:

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Teek posted:

As in our Doctor, or 13 specifically?

13 specifically

eta this would have to mean the 13 we see 12 regenerate into isn't the same 13 we see fall from the sky in Jodie's first proper episode

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I randomly did the #DWJudoonPlatoon tweet that came up during the episode Sunday. I was just told I won one of the prize packs. Can't wait to see what shows up. I assume it is going to be a full Judoon costume.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hahahahahaha, someone compared this to wilderness years novels, and while I've not read any of them, the reviews I've read make that comparison scan. the absolute willingness to just do whatever with the canon, because who gives a poo poo, is exciting. the revival hasn't really done anything with the Time Lords beyond make them dead, the bad guys for one special, and then sort of the bad guys again. so let's just dive into insane lore stuff that the next showrunner can ignore anyway! love it. sincerely.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ll take insane and exciting canon-altering lore that probably won’t make a lick of sense when it’s all resolved over whatever boring grounded style Chibnall tried to do last season. gently caress it, give me RTD’s giant mishmash of tones and genres mixed with Moffat’s penchant for mystery boxes and deep lore. Go nuts, this is a show tailor-made to handle that kind of thing. RuthDoc has only been in ten minutes of a single episode so far and I’m already chomping at the bit to see more of her.

I also really like how this season is leaning into 13’s characterization as a tinkering inventor. It’s so nice to see not only Jodie but also the writers really get more comfortable with developing 13’s personality.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who has the perfect set up so that you can do literally anything you want to. Who the gently caress cares about canon when the entire premise involves time travel.

Fixed points in time can’t be changed? Pfff yeah maybe in timeline 46-Beta, but since we did that weird thing on Mega-Neptune or whatever, that’s out the window.

Honestly, I’m surprised Doctor Who hasn’t been tearing itself apart and rebuilding itself more often. It should be taken advantage of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Doctor should go back to that place at the end of the universe and prevent the master from regenerating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HD DAD posted:

The Master: *explicitly gets mutilated, vaporized, and erased from the timeline*

Also The Master: *strolls into the room in the very next episode without even a hint of explanation*

Chokes McGee posted:

My guess is someone screwed with the Doctor's timeline so hard it's rewriting itself underneath her, and we're going to get one of those ONE OF THESE DOCTORS MUST LIVE moment where they both refuse to be the one that lives since the other one will die :3:

I really dig this idea :3:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I really dig this idea :3:

A high-stakes version of that time when everyone's too nice and willing to shoulder the burden and so nobody ends up just Doing The Thing. I'm into it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure the explanation is going to piss everyone off.

There's absolutely no way it won't.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

HD DAD posted:

Doctor Who has the perfect set up so that you can do literally anything you want to. Who the gently caress cares about canon when the entire premise involves time travel.

Fixed points in time can’t be changed? Pfff yeah maybe in timeline 46-Beta, but since we did that weird thing on Mega-Neptune or whatever, that’s out the window.

Honestly, I’m surprised Doctor Who hasn’t been tearing itself apart and rebuilding itself more often. It should be taken advantage of.

I'm gonna agree with the general sentiment of "'gently caress canon". It's what turned Legends of Tomorrow into my favorite DC comics show (Harley Quinn's a close second). I'm 45, and old, and tired of nothing but depressing, horrible news, I'm just not into the whole grim-dark, series-long arc thing right now. I don't want the Oncoming Storm, or War Doctor, or the bleak 8th Doctor novels I read in the wilderness years where he's trapped on Earth with amnesia for, like centuries or whatever (I kinda blanked out some of that). I know after Bad Wolf and Moffat's run, newer fans crave that continuity through a series, but as an old fart I miss some episodes that are just "monster of the week" or "well, that didn't make a lick of sense" Brain of Morbius plots from growing up watching an episode a night every night at 7:30 pm on my local PBS station.

That said, I am drat curious about this other Doctor. I'm not gonna stop watching, if only because Jodie is just so loving fun.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mehall posted:

I don't like that theory, because the only reason to bury the TARDIS is if it's stuck as a police box, which means it's post Hartnell.

If the chameleon circuit is working then you wouldn't need to hide it. As Nine said to Rose in the hologram message, just leave it on a street corner, everyone will ignore it.

It might not be to hide it from others but from the Doctor herself, with worries that encountering the TARDIS could trigger memories.

That said I do like that they tracked them down to Earth based on an old medal, and not from her TARDIS sitting just up the road.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god. Might the Ruth Doctor be Graham’s type?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I think, if anything, they're both each other's type.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Right proper classy woman, this one. You could learn a thing or two from this Doc, Doc.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If the Lone Cyberman is Danny Pink I will be all the various meanings of amazed simultaneously

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

evenworse username posted:

If the Lone Cyberman is Danny Pink The Brigadier I will be all the various meanings of amazed simultaneously

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Danny Pink does play a sort of cyber man in Another Life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I hope either it's something morally awful, like not giving the One Good Cyberman a hug or a treaty or a holiday house or something, or just something really ridiculous, like Bundt Cake. In order to bring attention to the fact that our lives are meaningless and random tangle of interesting arbitrary events. Obviously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Intergalactic Space Judge of Forever: Doctor, you absolutely 100% cannot be the Lone Cyberman's friend.
Doctor: Bullshit!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The first Chibnall episode to get really exciting for me. I'm really into Doctor Ruth and like the idea that Doctor Who can go wild with canon,
but I hope it's going to have a satisfying character journey and somewhat of a logical answer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Yannick_B posted:

The first Chibnall episode to get really exciting for me. I'm really into Doctor Ruth and like the idea that Doctor Who can go wild with canon,
but I hope it's going to have a satisfying character journey and somewhat of a logical answer.

While I just hope that, whatever this ends with, they go full-power on it.

This is too insane a plot twist for them to half-rear end the resolution. Go full RTD melodramatics, or Matt Smith-run baffling temporal nonsense, I don't care, just as long as it blows up big at the end. This latest episode already felt a bit 'don't think too hard, just DO IT', just roll with that!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

This is too insane a plot twist for them to half-rear end the resolution. Go full RTD melodramatics, or Matt Smith-run baffling temporal nonsense, I don't care, just as long as it blows up big at the end. This latest episode already felt a bit 'don't think too hard, just DO IT', just roll with that!

Go full David Lynch “what even the gently caress is going on” insanity.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HD DAD posted:

Go full David Lynch “what even the gently caress is going on” insanity.

YES

THE DOCTOR ARGUES WITH A MONKEY FOR 17 MINUTES AND THEN IT TURNED OUT THE MONKEY WAS ACTUALLY DEAD

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Personally, I’ve decided that instead of continuing to call her Doctor Ruth, I’m just going to refer to her as R Doctor.

Both of the other Time Lords had three-letter names. I wonder if that’s significant?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Like, literally have Matt Smith show up in the middle of the whole thing going,"What the hell is goin-" before getting whisked away among all the madness.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CommonShore posted:

YES

THE DOCTOR ARGUES WITH A MONKEY FOR 17 MINUTES AND THEN IT TURNED OUT THE MONKEY WAS ACTUALLY DEAD

But enough about “Hell Bent”.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Guys, what if the Lone Cyberman is... Kroton?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

superLINUS posted:

Guys, what if the Lone Cyberman is... Kroton?!?

What if it's Martha Jones and also a Rutan?