Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Half of the council are former X villains. Hell Shaw isn’t even the worst!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

twistedmentat posted:

I hate that I missed there was a new Gwenpool series. I'm not sure how that happened. I guess I must have missed that previews or something?
And now this? What the hell?

Anyways, why do they keep bring Shaw back into the fold? He always betrays everyone for his own goals. Unless this is some masterful manipulation by Emma.
I assume Shaw has an enormous bench of contacts and networking with the business community, and given their ideology for Krakoa they can neither kill or permanently imprison him (unless he does an oopsie like Creed) nor do they want him on the outside fighting them, possibly out of spite.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Half of the council are former X villains. Hell Shaw isn’t even the worst!

Yeah, but only he and Mr. Sinister always have to be such dicks about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nessus posted:

I assume Shaw has an enormous bench of contacts and networking with the business community, and given their ideology for Krakoa they can neither kill or permanently imprison him (unless he does an oopsie like Creed) nor do they want him on the outside fighting them, possibly out of spite.

The fact they let him run around is pretty surprising. I am pretty sure killing other mutants either directly or hiring people to kill them would violate their laws too.

Adder Moray posted:

Yeah, but only he and Mr. Sinister always have to be such dicks about it.

-:A:- is totally behaving.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

-:A:- is totally behaving.

He's getting everything he's always wanted. Shaw isn't. But if he wasn't, he wouldn't be a dick about misbehaving. Unlike Shaw.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Anyways, why do they keep bring Shaw back into the fold? He always betrays everyone for his own goals. Unless this is some masterful manipulation by Emma.

The rationale seems to be, basically, "We need to get the Hellfire Trading Company up and running ASAFP and there's no one better at the shady side of the operation than Sebastian Shaw. With anyone else it will take time to make connections and get operations moving, and we can't afford that because our entire plan is based on the notion that everyone is going to want our Awesome Mutant Drugs, which means we need to actually get those Awesome Mutant Drugs into peoples' hands before the whole edifice starts to crumble. So we'll take the risk of working with Shaw and trust that Emma and Kitty will be able to keep him in check."

Which makes a kind of sense, really.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, technically he still hasn't broken a law. They never made murdering other mutants into a law, after all. v:shobon:v

Even when Kate returns, she won't actually know that it was Shaw who killed her unless Xavier had made a replica of her brain the literal minute it started to happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, technically he still hasn't broken a law. They never made murdering other mutants into a law, after all. v:shobon:v

Even when Kate returns, she won't actually know that it was Shaw who killed her unless Xavier had made a replica of her brain the literal minute it started to happen.

She might not know but she'll have a pretty good loving idea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Unless she is in fact not a mutant.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Aphrodite posted:

Unless she is in fact not a mutant.

That would be pretty out of left field. She's been a mutant character forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Lockheed will remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

That would be pretty out of left field. She's been a mutant character forever.

To be fair Moira was a human forever too, to the point where her specific non-mutant status was a plot point (Legacy Virus.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't know why the characters think someone's humanity has anything to do at all with using the gates. Humans can enter the gates and do so all the time.

Skwirl posted:

She might not know but she'll have a pretty good loving idea.
I suppose it'll depend on how far back her memories go and what context they'll have for her death. If Shaw is dumb enough to leave incriminating evidence then he's hosed whether she comes back or not. But as far as everyone knows, they simply left Kate alone for one night and the next day she was gone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There have been a couple of stories over the years implying Kitty wasn't a mutant too.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know why the characters think someone's humanity has anything to do at all with using the gates. Humans can enter the gates and do so all the time.

Humans need to be cleared. Mutants just works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There have been a couple of stories over the years implying Kitty wasn't a mutant too.

Huh, I'm curious about this. Which ones?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

I suppose it'll depend on how far back her memories go and what context they'll have for her death. If Shaw is dumb enough to leave incriminating evidence then he's hosed whether she comes back or not. But as far as everyone knows, they simply left Kate alone for one night and the next day she was gone.

I think they said it's done at least weekly for all mutants, she's on the council and in Excalibur it was implied they were doing near constant backups of those people when -A- came back after letting Rogue absorb all of his powers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Humans need to be cleared. Mutants just works.
Mutants can be barred as well. They were clear about it in the first issue of HoX, which is why I'm wondering why the characters are being dense about it. Whether Kate can use the gates has less to do with her being a mutant or not and more to do with whether Krakoa allows it.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 29, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't read these stories so I can't vouch for quality. I've just seen them references in discussions.

X-Men volume 2 #100 Claremont very clearly makes her to be from a species called the Neo. That idiot got dropped by future writers. This is 2000s Claremont so it's probably junk.

Hunt for Wolverine had Iron Man say one of the X-Men is a sleeper agent that's not really a mutant but genetically modified. That one didn't imply anyone specific though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is there anything about the resurrection process that precludes bringing back a non-mutant

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parallax posted:

is there anything about the resurrection process that precludes bringing back a non-mutant

Not they've said.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parallax posted:

The only thing would be a backup AFAIK.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ok after having read Marauders has there been a single instance within the new status quo that a writer has used death in an interesting way

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Krakoa is probably not letting Kate enter until she's honest with everyone and admits her feelings for Racheal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parallax posted:

ok after having read Marauders has there been a single instance within the new status quo that a writer has used death in an interesting way

Excalibur, arguably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, and House of X #1 dropped on Marvel Unlimited.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Krakoa is probably not letting Kate enter until she's honest with everyone and admits her feelings for Racheal.

The list Xavier had Cipher give Krakoa says "Kitty Pryde" and Krakoa doesn't understand human naming conventions.

Everyone is embarrassed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

The list Xavier had Cipher give Krakoa says "Kitty Pryde" and Krakoa doesn't understand human naming conventions.

Everyone is embarrassed.

Krakoa needs to learn how not to dead name people.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Parallax posted:

quentin quire getting decapitated is very interesting to me, at least

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Alaois posted:

quentin quire getting decapitated is very interesting to me, at least

I liked how half a Wolverine was nearly as dangerous as a whole Wolverine.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how half a Wolverine was nearly as dangerous as a whole Wolverine.

Just a little slower, is all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New Mutants was pretty good, but bouncing back and forth when arcs aren't even done is going to get a little old.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I don't mind the two different stories, but I'm not a fan of constant jumping between them.

X-force was cool and I'm definitely on board with it.

X-men was amazing and I absolutely need to see the rest of this plot play out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-Force is doing the always cool thing of making Beast a smug rear end in a top hat who ends up being wrong.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Always five moves ahead.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sure lets put Hank McCoy in charge of our deniable ops team what could go wr-OH NO

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small detail I liked: Synch's costume being an homage to Generation X uniforms with the red coloring and, yellow knee-high boots, and X logo on the wrist.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

So did Xavier set up his own assassination as a casus belli for Krakoa? That's messed up, I wonder if he knew they were going to cut up Domino to do it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nothing certain one way or another. All we know is that Xavier knew he had to die in order to truly finalize the Krakoan nation's resolve, and he in fact hoped that he would. But the narration also made it seem like he didn't actually know when and how he would die, so it's still a bit of a stretch to imagine that he literally hired people to kill himself.

X-Force is definitely an interesting book. It's really not the normal sort of series I'd be reading but it just kinda finds a way to make itself work. Yeah, Beast is such a dipshit...but it works. (He also describes an orchestra like someone who has no idea how an orchestra actually plays, but hey it still...works?)

Percy's take on Jean is also kinda keeping me on the book. She's not as...friendly?...as Jean usually is, but that's actually workable as well because not only do these situations warrant that, it's also 100% preferable to Hickman's bizarro greenhorn Jean. Like yes, Jean would absolutely call people out on patronizing her, and she can and will literally disintegrate a fucker just by thinking about it. She should absolutely have a bit of a temper, even unreasonably. So I do like that these things happen here...but I also wish, because I'm a spoiled X-fan, that I could also see Jean in other situations and books where she's allowed her actual range. But not in a wrong way, because then I'm gonna complain about that too. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I don’t think Xavier planned anything. He just knew he needed to die (at least once) for everything to really fall in place so he was morbidly welcoming to any assassination attempt.

And for all the hosed things X-Force is dealing, they kinda pale in what Xavier sent Wolverine and crew to do. Resurrection notwithstanding, getting people to sign off on a blind trip to hostile territory which could last centuries if not longer is loving insane to me. The concept of the vault as a sort of mirror to the The World was pretty cool and I’m looking forward to seeing Hickman explore that but gently caress, I wasn’t even aware Darwin could live that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I had to double check that I hadn’t missed an issue between X-men 4 and 5. Did this stuff get set up another book?