Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It occurs to me that we have the Alien franchise in part to thank for the movement away from the simple, unpretentious numbered sequels that has metastasized into movie and vidya game sequels, reboots and remakes, some just a handful of years apart all using the same name.

E: A shamefully bad snipe. As penance I offer this recommendation for anyone who is like "The Alien franchise is cool, but I want a pretty good 4 season TV show in that wheelhouse:"

Check out The Expanse. Good sci-fi and storytelling with great characters. And it hits the same nerves with companies exploiting a dangerous alien phenomenon, human space truckers coming to terms with the unknown, and factions vying for their slice of space. The writing shines by making nearly every character/factions position relatable and the conflict comes not from doing stuff for Bad Guy Reasons but because their interpretation of a situation or priorities are different.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Vagabundo posted:

Terminator and Terminator 2 were bloody lovely. 3rd, 4th and 5th were poo poo. Haven’t seen the most recent, but I assume it’s utter bollocks.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, I'm down.

There's a fan-overhaul mod that apparently radically alters the game: https://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul

This is the only mod anyone needs for any alien game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DIAnBby0Q

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
lol that's awesome.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I actually liked Prometheus overall, but one thing I can't forgive it for is trying to redefine the weird, creepy Space Jockey into buff albinos in elephant helmets. Ridley Scott can save the "I always imagined it this way" nonsense, that thing was like double the size of the Engineers and clearly had a mouth, teeth and (exploded) ribcage. You panned the camera into its face, Ridley.

The only acceptable explanation is that it's yet another step on the creator-creation ladder and was the species that created the Engineers. They worship their form and design their suits and helmets to appear like them.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

AvP 2010. It's just called Aliens vs Predator. I hate when they do that.

Gotcha. I believe I have that one. So I'm down (also I will totally suck and you all can laugh at me)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Reading through some of the comics and I'm reminded of one thing.

I really hate that the aliens get classified as bugs so often. It feels like a huge simplification and really dumbs down what they are if not de mystifies what they are, intelligent creatures that can and will surprise you in the worse ways possible. Especially when you consider that they might have memories or some aspect of the person that had been impregnated allowing them to do all sorts of things you wouldn't expect, like cutting the power. Hell the first alien "liking" Lambert due to Kane having a thing for her makes them all the more creepy when such traits are carried on from host to alien, it's a pity they didn't really do more with that.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think it just speaks to human psychology.

Part of it can just be chalked up to ignorance or arrogance. Why bother trying to understand or comprehend this icky thing? Just squash it, who cares? If they were intelligent, they would have developed an economy by now!

Another part could be deliberate misinformation, in order to keep soldiers and citizens in the dark about their true cunning.
It's a lot easier to convince a person to shoot at a big, unthinking insect. Quite another knowing the thing you are killing is a thinking, reasoning being. Might make people a bit less fearful and panicky too. I know if there was 7 foot carnivorous insects outside my home, I'd be pretty drat scared, but it would be worse knowing that they could think and plan about how to get in and eat me.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Right because telling the boots that it's just a dumb bug works out so well, as we've seen

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Oh I never said it worked, I'm just throwing out possible reasons for the bug thing.

The Company / military brass probably wouldn't give a gently caress either way if the grunts all got eaten or impregnated.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Probably because they make hives and have queens and poo poo. Bugs are the first, most obvious comparison that a person from earth would make.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Keltar posted:

Hell the first alien "liking" Lambert due to Kane having a thing for her makes them all the more creepy when such traits are carried on from host to alien, it's a pity they didn't really do more with that.

So, I like this read, I'll probably do something with it in my TTRPG... but is this textual in the movie?

I honestly didn't pick up a ton of romance unrequited or otherwise among the crew. I know there was a cut scene foreshadowing the Ash reveal where Lambert and Ripley are talking about how he never sleeps with anyone, unusual among the libertine crew.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Owlbear Camus posted:

So, I like this read, I'll probably do something with it in my TTRPG... but is this textual in the movie?

I honestly didn't pick up a ton of romance unrequited or otherwise among the crew. I know there was a cut scene foreshadowing the Ash reveal where Lambert and Ripley are talking about how he never sleeps with anyone, unusual among the libertine crew.
It was cut from an initial draft, it never made it filming. The eggified guys were filmed but didn't make the theatrical cut, but are extremely canon as far as I'm concerned. So it depends where you draw the line.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think I'm going to run with it in my TTRPG because it's a good angle to add some creep-ification to a creature who's formerly truly alien menace that is old hat to the players, kind of neutered by overexposure to the point of freaking Pepsi tie-in ads and chibi figurines.

I won't overplay it, but maybe a Carl-bursted Xeno goes for Carls best friend last, or maybe first. The Katy-burster stops for just a few very moments and looks around when her favorite song comes on the ships PA, so subtly you might not even make the connection between stimulus and response. The George-burster got into the security room and seems to draw from having worked there in a "former life" the connection between the images on the monitors of frightened station staff and where it can find them in the facility...

Make the players wonder how much is in there... just a faint echo and a few procedural memories and conditioned responses, or maybe something closer to a malformed trapped and tortured consciousness?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

It was cut from an initial draft, it never made it filming. The eggified guys were filmed but didn't make the theatrical cut, but are extremely canon as far as I'm concerned. So it depends where you draw the line.

The egg-morphing scene has retroactively been made “canon”, and the concept actually crops up in the comic book ‘Aliens: Defiance’ and it gets a shout out in the new RPG as well.

That said, the scene’s placement in the director’s cut is questionable; aside from loving with the pacing, it’s set after a Ripley arms the self destruct. So we’re meant to believe that Ripley, currently on the clock before the ship explodes, detours down into the landing gear for some reason and fucks around for several minutes? Ehhhhhh.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

The egg-morphing scene has retroactively been made “canon”, and the concept actually crops up in the comic book ‘Aliens: Defiance’ and it gets a shout out in the new RPG as well.

That said, the scene’s placement in the director’s cut is questionable; aside from loving with the pacing, it’s set after a Ripley arms the self destruct. So we’re meant to believe that Ripley, currently on the clock before the ship explodes, detours down into the landing gear for some reason and fucks around for several minutes? Ehhhhhh.

Yeah. I actually think that, isolated, it's one of the best and most horrifying scenes in the entire movie. I was surprised by that when I first saw it, as I expected it to be sort of bad, but it's pretty obvious it was cut for the sake of pacing and the movie as a whole is probably better for it because of this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Randarkman posted:

Yeah. I actually think that, isolated, it's one of the best and most horrifying scenes in the entire movie. I was surprised by that when I first saw it, as I expected it to be sort of bad, but it's pretty obvious it was cut for the sake of pacing and the movie as a whole is probably better for it because of this.

It’s also meant to close the loop on the Alien reproductive cycle, as well as answer Lambert’s question from earlier in the movie when they’re exploring the Derelict and she asks where the rest of the crew are. The implication is that the eggs Kane found ARE the crew, having suffered the same fate Dallas and Brett are experiencing.

:magical:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randarkman posted:

I wonder if it could gave been slotted in earlier on the way to the self destruct.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Splicer posted:

I wonder if it could gave been slotted in earlier on the way to the self destruct.

Maybe, but I would bet that Ridley Scott and the edtiors didn't cut the scene lightly and probably considered this as well. Almost certainly they understood that a movie as a whole is more than just a series of creepy/impressive visuals and scenes that you can put in your trailer. in the actual end product preserving pacing, tension and flow is much more important than the inclusion of any single scene just because it is good or memorable. If cutting a scene can improve those aspects without disrupting the overall narrative then cutting it is probably the best course of action.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: the Alien in the first movie has all of 4 minutes of screen time, and was (intentionally) not featured in any of the promotional materials of the movie. Even Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the movie novelization, wasn’t shown any images or even given a description of the Alien (which is why the Alien goes essentially undescribed in the book :v: )

The ‘Predator’ novelization had something similar happen - it was written based on an earlier script draft and before the Predator was redesigned from the infamous Jean Claude Van Damme costume design, so there’s a bunch of notable differences from the movie in the Predator’s portrayal.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the Alien in the first movie has all of 4 minutes of screen time, and was (intentionally) not featured in any of the promotional materials of the movie.

This is really cool and would be awesome to experience such a horrifying creature all of a sudden.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the Alien in the first movie has all of 4 minutes of screen time, and was (intentionally) not featured in any of the promotional materials of the movie. Even Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the movie novelization, wasn’t shown any images or even given a description of the Alien (which is why the Alien goes essentially undescribed in the book :v: )

The ‘Predator’ novelization had something similar happen - it was written based on an earlier script draft and before the Predator was redesigned from the infamous Jean Claude Van Damme costume design, so there’s a bunch of notable differences from the movie in the Predator’s portrayal.
freddy krueger was a huge loving surprise to people who saw nightmare when it was new too

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Oh hey look what I’m going to see in March.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

freddy krueger was a huge loving surprise to people who saw nightmare when it was new too

This is pretty awesome. I love when movies pull that kind of thing off.

I feel like Terminator 2 dropped the ball on this one. The way the beginning plays out, it could be either the T-800 or T-1000 that's the bad guy, and the scene in the hallway at the mall where the T-1000 is following John, who thinks it's just a cop, where the T-800 appears and produces a shotgun from the flower box would have been truly epic..... If you didn't know who was on which side already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkbieS8CEJY&t=142s

Bu no. They loving spoiled it in the trailers.

Edit: No idea what they were thinking with the T-1000's Beretta going pew pew pew.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 29, 2020

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

"Save the cat" is easier to say than "gently caress around in the landing gear."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jay_Zombie posted:

This is pretty awesome. I love when movies pull that kind of thing off.

I feel like Terminator 2 dropped the ball on this one. The way the beginning plays out, it could be either the T-800 or T-1000 that's the bad guy, and the scene in the hallway at the mall where the T-1000 is following John, who thinks it's just a cop, where the T-800 appears and produces a shotgun from the flower box would have been truly epic..... If you didn't know who was on which side already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkbieS8CEJY&t=142s

Bu no. They loving spoiled it in the trailers.

Edit: No idea what they were thinking with the T-1000's Beretta going pew pew pew.
Imagine going into Psycho unspoiled. Halfway through the film BAM main character murdered in the shower, suddenly you're watching a police procedural.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I told my GF she has to watch Dark City with me so I can mute the opening monologue.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I told my GF she has to watch Dark City with me so I can mute the opening monologue.

The Director's Cut removes that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

From Dusk Til Dawn is another one to show people blind, because the vampire stuff comes out of loving nowhere.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I do love me a good plot shift.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's hard to overstate how much of a head trip the first viewing going in cold to The Matrix was for a 20 year old kid who thought he was just settling in for something along the lines of Hackers with a bit more John Wu gunplay and karate.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Tried to show my roommate and her boyfriend alien yesterday, but they fell asleep during the nostromo landing sequence. Going to try again later

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Peeler posted:

Tried to show my roommate and her boyfriend alien yesterday, but they fell asleep during the nostromo landing sequence. Going to try again later

Clockwork Orange their eyes open

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Xenomrph posted:

From Dusk Til Dawn is another one to show people blind, because the vampire stuff comes out of loving nowhere.

It's super interesting too, because it doesn't feel shoehorned in or poorly executed. It's a tonal shift but it manages it so seamlessly that you can't help but be impressed and still interested and engaged.

They shift from a botched heist/suspense story to an action horror story, and it works out because the setting changes, but the characters stay the same.

not to derail, but along the same lines did anyone watch the Netflix series? I really enjoyed the first season and parts of the second, but the third went off the loving rails so hard but it was incredibly disappointing.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
In high school I decided to take my girlfriend to the movies. We didn't have strong opinions about anything playing, so we decided to see one I half-remembered having a cool trailer. That's how I walked into Fight Club absolutely cold and was thoroughly bewildered. I thought it was about boxing or something.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
watched Aliens again the other day

still thinkin about it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Laterite posted:

watched Aliens again the other day

still thinkin about it

Just :lol: if you don't think about Aliens every day

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I played the latest Aliens rail shooter light gun game at D&B laat night. They took some liberties including big snake xenos, giant bois, and most horrifyingly flying, bat-like facehuggers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Wild T posted:

In high school I decided to take my girlfriend to the movies. We didn't have strong opinions about anything playing, so we decided to see one I half-remembered having a cool trailer. That's how I walked into Fight Club absolutely cold and was thoroughly bewildered. I thought it was about boxing or something.

I did something similar with Fight Club and Colossal.

Those films are not good date movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

I played the latest Aliens rail shooter light gun game at D&B laat night. They took some liberties including big snake xenos, giant bois, and most horrifyingly flying, bat-like facehuggers.

Allow me to introduce you to the old school Aliens arcade game, which is absolutely canon.

https://youtu.be/KvvgwFbHr7Q