Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I love imagining watching Blade Runner from Cage’s perspective now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Detroit turned out great in spite of Cage, as if the game itself were rebelling against his influence. It is the only David Cage game that is enjoyable on its own merit and not because it is a nonsensical mess. Which is remarkable because it doesn't even have David Bowie in it!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Ah yes, the game with DLC to re-enslave your freed android.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grand Gigas posted:

I love imagining watching Blade Runner from Cage’s perspective now.

literally the 'wow, cool robot!' meme

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

packetmantis posted:

Ah yes, the game with DLC to re-enslave your freed android.

Setting the menu android free only really works once from a gameplay perspective, and her absence detracts from future playthroughs because of the way she comments on your decisions throughout. Seeing as there are wildly-branching paths encouraging multiple playthroughs, having an option to put her back was the right call.

Don Gato posted:

If you had to deal with her dumbass brother on a regular basis while being expected to look calm and collected, you'd also find a hobby to express all your pent up rage.

That's exactly how I saw it too. Jacob pissed her off, now some poor brawler three times her size is going to get his arm broken in three places and all the tendons torn to shreds.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CJacobs posted:

Detroit turned out great in spite of Cage, as if the game itself were rebelling against his influence. It is the only David Cage game that is enjoyable on its own merit and not because it is a nonsensical mess. Which is remarkable because it doesn't even have David Bowie in it!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

food court bailiff posted:

The story mode in Injustice 2 is weirdly good for either a fighting game or a superhero game, the fact that it exists in a fighting game about superheroes is some kind of insane anomaly.

Not that this is a high bar to clear but it's easily better and more engaging than any DC movie from the last ten years. I think the fact that it starts with everyone kind of picking up the pieces from Injustice, giving a lot of the characters new allegiances and genuine reasons to distrust or dislike each other, goes a long way toward making a cool and relatable story as opposed to "the bat guy is angry at the red underwear guy so they punch each other."

The moment in Injustice 1 where Normal Batman finally convinces Injustice Batman to let him bring over Good Superman and the theme song starts as his emblem fades in was just such a wonderful superhero moment.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Polaron posted:

The moment in Injustice 1 where Normal Batman finally convinces Injustice Batman to let him bring over Good Superman and the theme song starts as his emblem fades in was just such a wonderful superhero moment.

I don’t usually like DC stuff but something about Injustice 1 worked so well for me. I think it was taking the normal characters and mashing them into a “what if” story so they could really go nuts with it. The “what if”ers also meant they could kill characters with some significant development off. Went a long way to create some stakes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"QTE for a Mundane Activity" isn't really a fair thing to ding David Cage games for. They actually have a specific reason to exist; so you can safely learn the various QTE methods in a stress-free way before being pushed into one that can affect your path or even chance of survival.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"QTE for a Mundane Activity" isn't really a fair thing to ding David Cage games for. They actually have a specific reason to exist; so you can safely learn the various QTE methods in a stress-free way before being pushed into one that can affect your path or even chance of survival.

Seriously. The lack of these in the first Tomb Raider reboot game meant that during the first QTE sequence (the fight against some guy who's trying to kill you), I died about half a dozen times trying to figure out what key the 'foot' icon meant I needed to press.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Seriously. The lack of these in the first Tomb Raider reboot game meant that during the first QTE sequence (the fight against some guy who's trying to kill you), I died about half a dozen times trying to figure out what key the 'foot' icon meant I needed to press.

So it didn't always simply tell you what button to press? (though it still took me some tries to understand at what point when the circle gets smaller it wants me to press it)

Or is this from one of the later games in the reboot trilogy? That'd be an annoying downgrade.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That is nuts, I haven't replayed the first one but I've been dabbling in replaying the second one (Rise of the Tomb Raider) and the way it does QTEs is very nice - the same buttons you're using for similar actions in the real gameplay, and a neat PRESS BUTTON! overlay that even changes perspective with the camera angle at the moment.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

That is nuts, I haven't replayed the first one but I've been dabbling in replaying the second one (Rise of the Tomb Raider) and the way it does QTEs is very nice - the same buttons you're using for similar actions in the real gameplay, and a neat PRESS BUTTON! overlay that even changes perspective with the camera angle at the moment.

I played the fist reboot game a little while ago and at least on the PC it gave me gamepad button prompts (or keyboard ones if I moved the mouse around), so I guess they changed it for the better at some point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Would much rather more QTEs be about timing than the surprise of which button to press.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Definitely agreed there, though generally I personally just would rather not have QTEs unless they're part of the basic gameplay rather than a surprise in the middle of some cutscenes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate QTEs that waste your time, like during a special enemy fight where they want you to do a finishing move, and if you gently caress up the prompts they get a bunch of health back. It's so frustrating. Just give some kind of bonus for succesfully doing the QTE like extra money or something, and if you gently caress it up, the enemy still dies, you just don't get the big reward for the flair. I mean, I still took all his health off, that should be enough.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Yakuza is the only series that gets how to do QTEs mid-fight and everyone else should be banned from doing so.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Vic posted:

Same and all the ideas I had about what coaches in futuristic FPS could probably mean, were way cooler than what Syndicate ended up being.

I was pretty disappointed that you weren't talking about the isometric open-world cyberpunk shooter by Bullfrog.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the final boss in Aggelos because it's not like the other bosses, where with all the upgrades you can just slam them into the ground with ease. The final boss, because you have to wake up his weak point at each stage before actually damaging him, makes you get good at avoiding his attacks or you just won't manage to outlast him. Also I like that enemies you haven't come across just come up as ? in the credits with a silhouette, I think that only happened to me with Shadow Mouse because I never found it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Crowetron posted:

Yakuza is the only series that gets how to do QTEs mid-fight and everyone else should be banned from doing so.

You press triangle and Kiryu swings a man at a light pole or pours salt in the guys face or beats him with a bicycle/scooter or force feed them a box of nails.

Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate QTEs that waste your time, like during a special enemy fight where they want you to do a finishing move, and if you gently caress up the prompts they get a bunch of health back. It's so frustrating. Just give some kind of bonus for succesfully doing the QTE like extra money or something, and if you gently caress it up, the enemy still dies, you just don't get the big reward for the flair. I mean, I still took all his health off, that should be enough.

SuddenCactus posted:

You press triangle and Kiryu swings a man at a light pole or pours salt in the guys face or beats him with a bicycle/scooter or force feed them a box of nails.

Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone.

Maybe we've been messing up our QTEs the whole time...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to playing FF15 on PC recently, and I have to say I actually laughed when Prompto sang the classic Final Fantasy victory theme after I killed some wolves that tried to ambush me. I know the game is going to disappoint me later, but I appreciate how at this stage it's making me feel like the various characters have their own personality sperate from what the player can see.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's exactly how I saw it too. Jacob pissed her off, now some poor brawler three times her size is going to get his arm broken in three places and all the tendons torn to shreds.

I'm not going to lie, I thought I had a high tolerance for viewing virtual pain and then I saw Evie just permanently cripple a few workers just looking for a bit of extra money and even I flinched. On the other hand there was something immensely satisfying when I saw how many bones she could break in one combo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
FF15 got stale for me really fast. It was nice for a like 8 hours to just drive around and do quests but...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

moosecow333 posted:

While I wouldn’t want the choice forced on me I’d love to see a game that gives you the option to continue being a drone to the system and have actual gameplay or story ramifications as a result. Maybe something like Way of the Samurai where it’s a short overall story but with tons of different choices in it.

The Avatar game that came out for the James Cameron movie lets you choose early on to continue to be human (which plays like a third person shooter) or side with the Na'vi (which plays more like a brawler) and the plots are totally different.

Dont play it though its not a good game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I played the fist reboot game a little while ago and at least on the PC it gave me gamepad button prompts (or keyboard ones if I moved the mouse around), so I guess they changed it for the better at some point.

I played at release and it had game pad buttons on a 360 controller, so I’m completely baffled by talk of a “foot button”. Unless they were using some off-brand controller and it went to some kind of generic prompt, but usually it defaults to 360 buttons.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

All I’ve been doing is quests and hunts and fishing.

I am painfully overleveled. I just got to Altissia in chapter 9 and I’m level 64 or some junk.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dwarf Fortress patch notes:

quote:

Can pet animals in adventure mode

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Can't wait for the world-ending unexpected behaviours caused by this new feature. Though it'd be totally worth it even without'em.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Should you be petting animals while they're in adventure mode, though? Like if I was on some heroic quest and people kept rubbing my belly and scratching behind my ears and massaging my shoulders actually you know what that sounds pretty terrific.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

RBA Starblade posted:

The modern plot is a huge wet fart but it's still very clever that at the end of Assassin's Creed 2, while Ezio is talking to the Precursor who's basically just leaving a voice mail for Desmond in the future, she's looking straight into the camera instead of at Ezio the whole time, because she knows the Animus gets invented and Desmond's playing in a third-person perspective :haw:

I enjoy that in a world of people called Cesare, Leonardo and Lorenzo, Ezio has to say something like "What? Who is this... Deeeeesmand?"

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of AC games, I like how in AC:O they don't have male/female versions of armor and Kassandra just wears men's stuff too.

OTOH in Syndicate, when you either find or unlock the Aegis armour that only fits Evie, you get a great little exchange with Jacob commenting that he doesn't think it's quite his size and Evie replies "plus you'd look a right tit in it".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leal posted:

Really has to be seen to be believed:
https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1222525097057161216

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My natural abilities are petting animals and spitting.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If petting is a skill you can master like masonry and all that then all I could say is yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is the best way of seeing Dwarf Fortress poo poo in action lol. Just esoteric ASCII graphics, a multi-layer menu system where petting a dog is in a submenu called Natural Ability, below “Butcher”.

God it’s perfect.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I was just thinking last night " I wonder what's been up with Dwarf Fortress. I fell out following the DF thread couple years back"

I can see it is doing juuuust fine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This solidifies my belief that Dward Fortress is one of the best games to read about while not even slightly entertaining the possibility of actually playing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Never had a fort make it past twenty dwarves or year 2 but by god I’ll buy it on steam just so toady can keep doin on

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

In Tomb Raider: Underworld they didn't have any prompts. They just slowed down the time and assumed you would know what to do. I actually thought that was neat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kitfox88 posted:

Never had a fort make it past twenty dwarves or year 2 but by god I’ll buy it on steam just so toady can keep doin on

The fact that they are trying to update it with readable graphics is insane to me.

I will buy and I will die in my $600 gaming chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Leal posted:

Finally the game is playable again!