Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So Palpatine ran a sex cult for 30 years? Movie was a lot better than I thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

QuarkJets posted:

I finally saw this movie

I don't understand why Palpatine is hanging out in a big Sith Football Stadium. Who are all of those cultists? Did they buy tickets to a space bruce springsteen concert and were like "oh you want me to wear these robes, okay cool I guess" and just thought that Palpatine is the pre-show?

Did it look cool? Does is sound cool to a 15 year old?

That’s all JJ cared about.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

So Palpatine ran a sex cult for 30 years? Movie was a lot better than I thought!

i mean at this point in my life? yeah i might join a sex cult that builds spaceships. kinda sounds like a good time?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember being hyped for TFA, being sleep deprived as I shuffled into a 1am showing, and marking out when Kylo Vader used the force to stop a blaster bolt in mid air.

Why couldn't anything (other than the HOLDO MANEUVER) be as good?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Hillary 2020 posted:

They're the Sith Eternal cult and they made all the Sith Star Destroyers and hosed like rabbits so there were enough Sith Troopers in the Sith Eternal Army to crew them.

Sorry you're so lame you had to get all your information from the movie rather than consuming Star Wars on all available media.

loving casual.

jesus this was way dumber than just having them be spoopy dark side ghosts. and I dunno, automated shipyards or something. it would explain why they need the first order - it has live troops and crews to form the kernel of a new empire

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bet Palpatine's message was just trying to recruit more people to the sex cult but of course the prudish resistance had to put a stop to that

You all know that the big robot arm was holding him up by the rear end in a top hat

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What kind of forms did they have people fill on joining the sex/spaceship cult?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1222380235749916672?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like they could have done a lot with that. Like maybe Palpatine's death caused a schism, with part of the empire being loyal to Snoke as a successor to his ideology and the Eastern Galactic Empire not willing to accept any supreme leader that isn't Palpatine. You can still have the whole offscreen conflict with Jakku, only this time it leads to that second faction disappearing (with most people assuming they just disbanded) and then have that be the source of the secret army that Palpatine has when the First Order rejoins.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The only bad thing about the trilogy is the screenplay. The casting and production value and acting is all good. It’s just the story was poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

much like mythbusters they prooved you can indeed polish a turd to an almost mirror sheen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TK-42-1 posted:

The only bad thing about the trilogy is the screenplay. The casting and production value and acting is all good. It’s just the story was poo poo.

Can't really argue with this. It's the script.

Casting: fine
Acting: pretty good, actually
Effects: great as usual
Script: rear end and balls

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chomp8645 posted:

Can't really argue with this. It's the script.

Casting: fine
Acting: pretty good, actually
Effects: great as usual
Script: rear end and balls

I found the effects pretty lackluster. They looked to be about 5-10 years behind Rogue One, but then again having someone who knows what to do behind a camera helps.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
For all we know the original screenplays were all great.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blistex posted:

I found the effects pretty lackluster. They looked to be about 5-10 years behind Rogue One, but then again having someone who knows what to do behind a camera helps.

Rogue One has much better art direction than the JJ movies. TLJ’s a bit better on that front too. I don’t think there’s a big technical gulf between any of the movies’ effects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the art direction in the sequels is pretty bad and the editing of TFA remains way too breathless for no reason.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That’s JJ’s style. If people are constantly shouting and running and never stop finding revelations, a decent percentage of people watching the movie come out of it feeling like something happened. They’ll all realize it sucked a week later but that’s fine, they already made their money.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My experience was literally going in with deliberately lowered expectations, "turning my brain off." And it was fine as just star wars images and scenes washing over me.

But my brain is an important organ I can't leave turned off forever and once I left the theater and started trying to contextualize it as a coherent story, worse as a capstone to a trilogy, worse as the capstone to a trilogy of trilogies, the illusion fell apart.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 30, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

jj trek was good in that all the frenetic movement was toward a coherent goal. it showed the type of oh poo poo reactions that it warranted. same with mission impossible 3. it was all towards a coherent goal. everything else has just been movement towards ??? and doesn’t carry the same weight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

My experience was literally going in with deliberately lowered expectations, "turning my brain off." And it was fine as just star wars images and scenes washing over me.

But my brain is an important organ I can leave turned off forever and once I left the theater and started trying to contextualize it as a coherent story, worse as a capstone to a trilogy, worse as the capstone to a trilogy of trilogies, the illusion fell apart.

I did the same, I just wanted something fun and dumb like The Force Awakens, but I didn't even manage 30 minutes before I realized how colossal a cinematic trainwreck was unfolding onscreen.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

skasion posted:

Rogue One has much better art direction than the JJ movies. TLJ’s a bit better on that front too. I don’t think there’s a big technical gulf between any of the movies’ effects.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Not implying that ILM somehow did lovely CGI for TFA and ROS while doing amazing CGI for RO, but that JJ doesn't know (or care to) set up nice shots, instead opting for. . .

poisonpill posted:

That’s JJ’s style. If people are constantly shouting and running and never stop finding revelations, a decent percentage of people watching the movie come out of it feeling like something happened. They’ll all realize it sucked a week later but that’s fine, they already made their money.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I liked Solo for much the same reason. You can argue about its basic essentiality but at least it looked and felt like a Star Wars movie.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Owlbear Camus posted:

But my brain is an important organ I can't leave turned off forever and once I left the theater and started trying to contextualize it as a coherent story, worse as a capstone to a trilogy, worse as the capstone to a trilogy of trilogies, the illusion fell apart.

This is about where I'm at. :thumbsup:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like you are too sober for starwars son.

I saw TFA in theaters while pretty high and also drunk and I didn't recall anything bad about the film until much later review on Netflix.

Better life thru chemistry.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I do find it funny that people think splitting TROS into two movies would somehow save the narrative. It will still be your lovely Palpatine story just told slightly more coherently.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

halokiller posted:

I do find it funny that people think splitting TROS into two movies would somehow save the narrative. It will still be your lovely Palpatine story just told slightly more coherently.

If you tell a really bad story a little slower, it makes it better don't you know. :eng101:

The entire premise(s) of the new trilogy was(were) fundamentally bad, and I don't think there would have been a way to redeem it. You'd have to literally start with an entirely new story to even have a chance of making a good trilogy. The fact that this thread had people spitball ideas within minutes of being prompted that were orders of magnitude better than anything we have seen in the NT seems to be .

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TFA was an okay if "play it safe" launch with great, likable characters with good chemistry. It missed some opportunities but would have been redeemed by a less divisive second act that did a little more worldbuilding and a third act that actually, you know, followed naturally as a payoff to anything that had come in the prior 9 films, or even the prior 2.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TFA is terrible and should never have been made

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skasion posted:

The Force Awakens is fine. A nice safe movie is pretty acceptable considering the general assumption was that it was going to be a trainwreck, so being able to say "look, we can make a Star Wars film" is an okay outcome.

Rise of Skywalker, however, is a complete burning trash pile that never should've been signed off on, let alone made.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

skasion posted:

Nah

But also, :yeah:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
TFA and/or TLJ should have featured a passionate same sex romance and sex scene between those 2 characters who don't do anything really

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Finn Poe romance would have redeemed TLJ for sure

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
release the fan recut that's just 2.5 hours of deepfaked finn and poe loving

e: leave in the intro text scroll and the lesbian kiss at the end

e2: also the brief shot with the sad porgs

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 30, 2020

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Force Awakens is fine. A nice safe movie is pretty acceptable considering the general assumption was that it was going to be a trainwreck, so being able to say "look, we can make a Star Wars film" is an okay outcome.

Rise of Skywalker, however, is a complete burning trash pile that never should've been signed off on, let alone made.

It wasn't fine

It was lazy and completely creatively bankrupt. They regurgitated the old movies

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Fartbox posted:

It wasn't fine

It was lazy and completely creatively bankrupt. They regurgitated the old movies
it's a piece of Star Wars media made after the 80s, fo sure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think it was a B, B- effort that did the minimum legwork to establish the characters. A lot of it rests on the shoulders of some truly outstanding performances and great chemistry.

Put me in the writers room and some of my script doctoring would be, in rough order of severity of changes:

Give Phasma a closer mentor relationship to Finn. Make her Tr-8r.

Lean into the Poe Finn romance. The actors have great chemistry and you get max woke points. Chinese peasants don't watch Star Wars movies anyway.

Add some beats that make Finn's origin and defection matter as more than just a way to deliver exposition about SK base. Hux and Kylo wonder aloud if his defection will lead to others, and maybe a smattering of that happens or is referenced with a throwaway line.

Don't do Starkiller base. Explore a different geopolitical dynamic than Empire vs. Rebels 2.0 Featuring Planet Scale Superweapons. Turn it into a smaller stakes combined arms ground/air/space battle for the Resistance Base. You can still keep a lot of the same beats (Solo's Death, Kylo vs. Finn-Rey endurance match). Do some worldbuilding with brief exposition scenes around that establishes the FO is a Hermit rump state that the Republic is too war weary to bother with and sees as Leia's irrational bugbear. Instead of the stakes being a planet exploding, make them more intimate: troopers kill a likable supporting character. Poe races to do some close air support to save Finn from being overrun in the ground assault.

Failing that at least don't just introduce it at the end of the second act without anything resembling real setup.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Auralnauts have returned with ya boy Ben Solo

https://youtu.be/EeRyfOtpc8Y

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What if you make Starkiller base a fakeout? Play off the audience’s expectations and make the whole thing a bluff that gets the resistance to send their fleet halfway across the galaxy to an empty base while the the First Order blitzkriegs the Republic capitol or something. They have the iconography and reputation of the empire but they don’t have the resources, do something with that.

E: maybe that gives Finn something to do in the sequels. Instead of being a celebrated hero, he’s on the outs because he got fooled into feeding bad intel to the resistance so now he’s gotta redeem himself somehow.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Riri19911/status/1222988286681063424?s=20

Hope they put both endings in the blu-ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that would have been way better I would watch a kylo solo movie