Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm gonna have to ask some friends for 50 bucks and some other brain problems make it hard for me to that but I know you're right. I thought of it before but froze up at the purchase page because I just don't have the money for it right now. I just wish I didn't have to do any of this bullshit. To me right now this isn't an easily solved problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
save 50 bucks and ask a friend for their piss.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

eric ciaramella posted:

save 50 bucks and ask a friend for their piss.

New thread title?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

be careful with or avoid fake headshop piss unless you have no other options, it isnt foolproof and Ive never heard of it actually working. if its a test with no watcher or temperature get clean piss from someone, only get the fake stuff as a last resort

my girlfriend works at a headshop that sells it and its been ineffective for some

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Unsinkabear posted:

New thread title?

so, so very tempting but we have non-CSPAM people who use the OPs for information and I'd rather not chase them off :smith:

e: on the other hand this is sa :twisted:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

piss friends are real. i've been a piss friend before

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

What the hell, no guys, under no circumstances should you be snuggling in urine to try to beat a weed test in a legal state when you're two weeks past your last hit. Take your chances, you probably won't piss hot at all.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Hahahaha, I'm so pleased. I too have been Piss Friend, if it makes them feel more comfortable I don't see the harm. If you're nervous about how to smuggle it in, there's always the Whizzinator

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

What the hell, no guys, under no circumstances should you be snuggling in urine to try to beat a weed test in a legal state when you're two weeks past your last hit. Take your chances, you probably won't piss hot at all.

this really depends on how much you smoke. Ive never stopped smoking for any amount of time so I dont know for sure but Ive been getting high every day for about 15 years and Ive been told itd take at least a month for me to piss clean

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Snuggle the clean piss in your mouth

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

There's a drug testing thread in TCC, those folks probably have the best information on what quantities and lengths of times to test clear.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Siljmonster posted:

Snuggle the clean piss in your mouth

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I feel so empty all the time

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grondoth posted:

I feel so empty all the time

lack of serotonin will do that to you, among other things :smith:

do you have a therapist or support group? I can recommend some things like random hobbies but when it comes to there is a hole in my heart I cannot find thats something that Ive needed a lot of therapy to overcome and theres no real magic bullet

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
An hr person suggested me to see therapy, because I lack to show any motivation and am kinda up and down most of the time, specifically the type she goes to cognizant behavioural? I'm probably going to take her suggestion at heart but what sort of therapy is that?

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Thanks to this thread, I now know what a Whizzinator is.

Bookmarked.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Well the bright side is that the interview went really well and they asked when I was available to start and said we'll go from there.

To anyone else on the job hunt right now: my heart and good vibes go out to you because it really is one of the most strenuous things when it just stretches for months and months. I hope y'all find something soon.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Honest Thief posted:

An hr person suggested me to see therapy, because I lack to show any motivation and am kinda up and down most of the time, specifically the type she goes to cognizant behavioural? I'm probably going to take her suggestion at heart but what sort of therapy is that?

that sounds like CBT?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Well the bright side is that the interview went really well and they asked when I was available to start and said we'll go from there.

To anyone else on the job hunt right now: my heart and good vibes go out to you because it really is one of the most strenuous things when it just stretches for months and months. I hope y'all find something soon.

good luck friend and thank you. any tips to handle last minute interview anxiety?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife and I decided to see if we could get a mortgage, filled out a giant form, had two interviews and got approved for $550k. Then then I went "...you're cool with my visa?" And the bank went "oh poo poo no we aren't, gently caress off." :( We disclosed it from the start, thanks for wasting days of my life and getting my hopes up. I figured I had to ask though because it could mean losing a 20% deposit later.

And now I can't sleep because literally any stress makes me wake up after 5 hours and stay up. I love my new country but being a second class citizen sucks and I just want to be able to fix problems with my home when they come up and not worry about being evicted at any moment. My current property manager seems to have a policy of outright ignoring the first contact on any issue.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

got any sevens posted:

that sounds like CBT?
yeah, seems like it.
guess i can start googling clinics, and hope they're licensed, thanks

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Honest Thief posted:

CBT. CBT is the capitalist's attempt at therapy. In fact many argue that it isn't therapy at all but an "approach". In CBT the therapist's job is to help the client become aware of their thoughts, how those thoughts are "wrong" (aka Cognitive Distortions) and how those "wrong" thoughts lead to behaviors. It has become a very common form of therapy as wages have gone down over the years and insurance companies have become more strict. CBT offers a strict timeline of when you'll get better (:jerkbag:) and insurance companies love this because they want to know when it will be over so they can stop paying for it. It assumes all humans are the same and therefore they will be able to follow a similar schedule so it's no wonder it often follows a normative stance on people.

Here's an example:

Kid comes and presents with some anger issues. Mom says he yells at her sometimes, usually after he gets back from his dad's house. CBT will have the kid use replacement behaviors like punching a pillow. Okay, great, that is actually a healthy behavior. But what happens when that replacement behavior gets tiresome, or the kid gets older? CBT will never address the unconscious dilemma his kid has of getting mad at his mom since he lives with her and knows she won't leave him -- whereas his dad already left him twice and he's worried if he gets mad at his dad he'll leave again. CBT never tries to heal past trauma. Got raped and now you're anxious in alleys? Tough poo poo, here's some homework. CBT never takes the family system or social system into account. Anger issues because you live in a bad neighorhood and you're addict mom makes you into a lookout to make some extra money, tough poo poo, punch a pillow (real case btw). CBT never looks at the origins or issues, never looks at the unconscious. There's a reason most CBT studies don't go past 3-4 years and it's kind of a joke in my circle tbh.

I will say this though, CBT has two really good points to it:
1) In this shithole country we teach people to avoid and ignore their emotions people barely know what they're thinking and feeling on the day to day basis. Americans only know how to ask themselves, "am I happy?", to which the answer is always gently caress NO, to which the next course of action is to spend money to try and change that answer. So getting people to at least learn to be aware of their thoughts and emotions is pretty cool and if you only have maybe 3-10 sessions with someone because they're coming from a government agency, it makes sense to use this approach.

2) I did CBT 3-4 years ago and although now I see where it was a lot less useful and didn't really allow me to solve underlying issues, at the time I couldn't even leave my room and it patched me up and gave me some techniques I still use today. In a way it's a bandaid, patching you up so you can get back to doing whatever. It doesn't really ask the question of, are you fulfilling your purpose in life? Which is exactly why corporate gods lean towards it, so you can be patched up and ready to go back to the office. So it makes sense your corporate HR husk would suggest CBT.

So yeah I mean even though it gets poo poo on it's actually pretty useful in a lot of ways and I don't want to say you shouldn't do CBT. But just look around, read a bit, see if CBT or anything else clicks with you. There's some info in the op too that might help u find stuff

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thehandtruck posted:

CBT. CBT is the capitalist's attempt at therapy. In fact many argue that it isn't therapy at all but an "approach". In CBT the therapist's job is to help the client become aware of their thoughts, how those thoughts are "wrong" (aka Cognitive Distortions) and how those "wrong" thoughts lead to behaviors. It has become a very common form of therapy as wages have gone down over the years and insurance companies have become more strict. CBT offers a strict timeline of when you'll get better (:jerkbag:) and insurance companies love this because they want to know when it will be over so they can stop paying for it. It assumes all humans are the same and therefore they will be able to follow a similar schedule so it's no wonder it often follows a normative stance on people.

this is a gross misinterpretation of CBT and falls under dont tell people not to get therapy, even if you walk it back later. Dont do this.

cmon truck youre better than this.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Jan 29, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

this is a gross misinterpretation of CBT and falls under dont tell people not to get therapy, even if you walk it back later. Dont do this.

cmon truck youre better than this.

Wait what part of that don't you like? If anything I thought I was pulling punches and being pretty tame. CBT has been described that way by therapists for a while now

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously, I've never been put on a "timeline" for CBT and in fact it got me out of the goddamn hospital and functional again. Any therapy can be poorly applied, but if you think catastrophizing like "I embarrased myself once, therefore I'm worthless" isn't maladaptive and needing of correction then I don't know what to tell you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thehandtruck posted:

Wait what part of that don't you like? If anything I thought I was pulling punches and being pretty tame. CBT has been described that way by therapists for a while now

We can litigate this in PMs if you want, since I get the feeling we both have pretty strong opinions on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Aside from that, CBT has advantages and is a helpful therapy for a lot of people, so please don't discourage people from getting it.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Seriously, I've never been put on a "timeline" for CBT and in fact it got me out of the goddamn hospital and functional again. Any therapy can be poorly applied, but if you think catastrophizing like "I embarrased myself once, therefore I'm worthless" isn't maladaptive and needing of correction then I don't know what to tell you.

fair about the timeline but isn't the rest exactly what I typed out?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thehandtruck posted:

fair about the timeline but isn't the rest exactly what I typed out?

No. Not from my experience, and not from talking with my therapists. I've had one therapist do it the way you've described. They were immensely unskilled, I dropped them like a hot potato, and should not the least bit be considered representative of the technique on the whole.

Any therapeutic technique can be badly applied by incompetent people, which is why we say so often you aren't married to your therapist. CBT has been enormously helpful for me in a moment of extreme trauma and had lasting effects that were very much not a bandaid.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

all i can think is "cock and ball torture" when i read cbt cuz I'm a broken internet weirdo but this page is making me lol

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

all i can think is "cock and ball torture" when i read cbt cuz I'm a broken internet weirdo but this page is making me lol

it's certainly a roller coaster ride I'll grant you that

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
charlie brown therapy

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

eric ciaramella posted:

charlie brown therapy

therapist: won wom womp waaaa

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

eric ciaramella posted:

charlie brown therapy

Chokes McGee posted:

therapist: won wom womp waaaa

Thanks thread, for making me laugh so loud in public that I scared a Hardee's employee.

mekyabetsu posted:

Thanks to this thread, I now know what a Whizzinator is.

Glad I could help :science:

Chokes McGee posted:

...I can recommend some things like random hobbies...

Please do, as a recovered/recovering gamer I really struggle to find sources of replacement joy. A life of just getting poo poo done and never playing feels so bleak and depressing, even when it's the main thing that will actually move me towards my big picture goals that matter most. The only other things that consistently make me happy are traveling or being on the water, and ain't nobody got time/means to vacation all year or rent a kayak every day.

In other news, I spent the last couple of weeks planning and taking steps toward a very very very dumb (non self harm) thing. I can't be too specific because I'm easily doxxable, but I would have blown my whole life up had I followed through. The entire journey has had me mood cycling almost constantly, and I think at this point it's safe to say I might need to try some different meds. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
yyyyes. If youre going manic and its endangering your future, even if youre not physically harming yourself, get thee to a pdoc post haste. Excellent job recognizing it, though. thats often the hard part with bipolar.

As far as hobbies go, my advice is to pick something random that makes you go hmm that seems neat and then do it. its MUCH easier said than done, so know the following and trust it:

* no one cares if you do it badly. (and if they do thats a pretty good sign to not go there anymore)
* you dont have to be good at it.
* you dont even have to keep doing it!

Just try something new and see where it goes. Thats how I ended up weaving, painting, AND doing archery (all three I obviously recommend). The point is to try new things, because curiosity is a strong antidote to depression.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I remember reading that learning has literal beneficial brain benefits. Always be learning, y'all. Reading is cool, cause knowledge is power.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
well, it was an hr manager who did suggest cbt to me, that did ring some bells on my head

bobtheconqueror posted:

I remember reading that learning has literal beneficial brain benefits. Always be learning, y'all. Reading is cool, cause knowledge is power.

i can't "read" as in books much anymore since all day I'm already reading wahtever at work, posts or social media

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

what should I look for when choosing a CBT professional? ive been directed to try that for anxiety/depression/ADHD before getting on AD medication due to a history of seizures

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Anybody that works straight from a workbook has been useless for me, but it depends on what works for you.

CBT is one of those tricky things because it runs off of mindfulness and maladaption so youre going to have to admit to yourself some behavior is self destructive, even if you dont mean it to be. It tends to feel accusatory, but it is not. You have to find the self sabotage and make it aware to you before you can address it.

Like any technique, it can be over or misapplied. The magical thinking distortion is a good example: misapplied it could be an argument against all of religion, but thats missing the point, which is an unrelated thing you did randomly didnt cause your suffering. Like not doing your chores in the morning isnt the reason you got into a car accident.

Its just a technique, and like all techniques, it can be a very helpful if done correctly and very frustrating if done wrong. IMO a good therapist will guide and provide a third party view but let you drive there CBT process and, I cannot stress this enough, Bernie Sanders not put you on a timetable of any sort.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My wife and I decided to see if we could get a mortgage, filled out a giant form, had two interviews and got approved for $550k. Then then I went "...you're cool with my visa?" And the bank went "oh poo poo no we aren't, gently caress off." :( We disclosed it from the start, thanks for wasting days of my life and getting my hopes up. I figured I had to ask though because it could mean losing a 20% deposit later.

And now I can't sleep because literally any stress makes me wake up after 5 hours and stay up. I love my new country but being a second class citizen sucks and I just want to be able to fix problems with my home when they come up and not worry about being evicted at any moment. My current property manager seems to have a policy of outright ignoring the first contact on any issue.

I'm trying to buy a house now too, and it's already been incredibly demoralizing, opaque, and stressful.

Back in a bad rut too. I'm never where I want to be, or doing what I want to be doing. What do I actually want to do? No idea, but it's not whatever I'm doing.

Even if everything goes okay with the house, the next six months are going to be do full of stress, I don't know if I can do it.

It's all so exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Failson posted:

I'm trying to buy a house now too, and it's already been incredibly demoralizing, opaque, and stressful.

I find it ironic that I'm being blocked by the same kind of foreign investment laws I wish my home country/city had. If they had the same laws I could've actually afforded to live in a backwater logging town with no jobs instead of having to deal with prices on par with Manhattan and SF.

I'm still only able to afford a one bedroom apartment with $550k in Melbourne but at least it's in a structure that won't fall down in 10 years.

Edit: example of the insane bullshit in Vancouver. Prices are finally dropping after a left wing government finally got back into power despite a broken electoral system that splits votes on the left.

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1222742966768304128

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Jan 30, 2020