Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Early vote in 28 is out, and well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Tweets that didnt age well

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Was this supposed to be a D pickup?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
It was supposed to be a benchmark for Democrats to flip the state house in 2020. However she underperformed even the generic dem from 2018 who was up against the chairman of appropriations

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

People don’t turn out for special elections.

At least someone’s trying.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

skipdogg posted:

People don’t turn out for special elections.

At least someone’s trying.

Enough did for the other side. In elections with such small numbers, a well run campaign should be able to win if they have that kind of manpower. Maybe there should be more focus on physically driving people to the polls.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

skipdogg posted:

Was this supposed to be a D pickup?

No. It is a an R+20 district.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Its R+9 according to 2018

Shadi Zitoon
Jan 25, 2020

https://www.shadizitoon.com

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am excited and terrified by the idea of a goon (state) senator

Same. Many times at 1 am I wonder why I decided to do this, then when I wake my son up for school at 6:30 I have a renewed energy to keep fighting.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Two of the four largest colleges in Arkansas are still in dry counties. Many of AR's dry counties have loopholes that allow for beer/liquor to be sold for consumption on premises of a "private membership club", so you'd have goofy poo poo like a bunch of college kids buying a $1 lifetime membership to hang out and drink at the VFW. One of those counties had a vote to go wet about a decade back, and the list of largest donors to the (successful) campaign to keep it dry featured some delightful bedfellows: #1 was the liquor megastore located immediately on the other side of the county line, followed by a bunch of local Baptist churches.

e: Guess the $1 membership thing is pretty universal. Way back in the day I used to have a job that involved a lot of travel around Arkansas, I kept a spare wallet in my car that was crammed full of those dumb membership cards from all over the drat state.

34 of Arkansas' 75 counties are dry in some form. I went to college in a dry county in Arkansas (Faulkner), and I still don't understand the rules. Some restaurants had "membership clubs" to buy alcohol, but others just said they were restaurants with bars and it seemed to be fine. No stores straight up sold alcohol. The liquor stores were on the county line, 30 minutes away by car. It actually encouraged me to buy more heavy liquor than beer or wine, because it would last longer. I drink lighter stuff now than I did living in a dry county. Seems like the opposite of its objective.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
At the very least a D on the ticket will be a good benchmark for the area in the future, though no telling how things will shake up with pop changes. Do state senate districts get redrawn with the census?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

At the very least a D on the ticket will be a good benchmark for the area in the future, though no telling how things will shake up with pop changes. Do state senate districts get redrawn with the census?

that's an interesting question

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, how else would they do it

Bicameral state legislatures are kind of dumb because our federal system is the result of a compromise rather than practicality or philosophy and with no indelible district lines within states, you just have two proportionally representative bodies. But only one state has a single chamber

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 29, 2020

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

There's the whole citizenship thing now, as well as Trump claiming that districts might be drawn based on eligible voters rather than population, which has implications beyond citizenship alone.

Edit: Well, and to put that in clearer terms - not just Trump claiming that districts might be drawn in this way, see Evenwel v. Abbott arguing that districts don't HAVE to be drawn according to eligible voters rather than population, but that they COULD be drawn in this way

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 29, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

She would have won if she just called herself Liz or Beth or Betsy or something

Eliz? Too weird

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah how the gently caress does that even happen. Not enough nicknames for Elizabeth for you you gotta make up a weird one

Hello my name is Jennif and this is my husband Ch.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

that's an interesting question

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/01/citizenship-trump-census-voting-rights-texas/

Further reading on the topic. Expect extreme measures to disenfranchise minorities, backed by the Supreme Court.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is good news... for shadi zitoon

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1222323676772753409

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 29, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is good news... for shadi zitoon

Another rabid zitoon goon harasses the thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

i was wondering if they were under the same constitutional mandate; i figured states would have more freedom to delay a forced redistricting

zoux posted:

Hello my name is Jennif and this is my husband Ch.

my nickname is the first few letters of my real name ;_;

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1222535841844727813

lol get his rear end

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1222549882856255491

Yesterday they were talking about Sanders making a big campaign push here, I guess that's why. But if Bernie can win the Texas primary then that should really worry Cuellar and other aggressively moderate Dems and well I'm glad of it

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 29, 2020

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

cross-post from the map thread

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1222302559253204992

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I mean the point of maps like that is to laugh at whoever made it, but anyone that puts the whole state into one category is doing it wrong.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

saintonan posted:

I mean the point of maps like that is to laugh at whoever made it, but anyone that puts the whole state into one category is doing it wrong.

It is a joke map

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Is there a Dem Soc option for the TX-24 Democratic primary?

I just moved into the district and have been seeing a lot about Olson and Valenzuela but neither of them appear to be left enough for my tastes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1222613607378227203

Folks, ya hate to see it

beefart posted:

I just moved into the district and have been seeing a lot about Olson and Valenzuela but neither of them appear to be left enough for my tastes.

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas%27_24th_Congressional_District_election,_2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

“The sound of spines crumbling” is a truly insane quote

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joann Fleming is an insane person you see

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I mean she's not wrong, but not for the reasons she hoped. The entire Republican party is on display right now for having no spine while their party is overwhelmed by corruption, bigotry, and cruelty. Her issue is really that there isn't quite enough cruelty and that it's not focused where she would like it to be.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

extremely my poo poo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/tperry518/status/1222693385485606913

noooooo beto pull up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he apparently went there to say bloomberg bought his way into the race, so lol on the optics or why he was even really there

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

texas is a hopeless case, in no small part thanks to beto, who galvanized conservatives

thanks beto, you won't be missed, you loving loser

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

texas is a hopeless case, in no small part thanks to beto, who galvanized conservatives

:thunk:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

dalstrs posted:

I think we are going to surprise some people this year. I am attaching a map of SD-12 so you guys can easily see if you are in my district.

I did polling station work in Carrollton in your district and the votes were 2-1 Democrat there in 2018. It's possible.

Shadi Zitoon
Jan 25, 2020

https://www.shadizitoon.com

beefart posted:

It is a tough race. I like most of the candidates and think they would all do well. I haven't seen anything that suggest any of them aren't at least pretty left. I think Candace or Jan are the most left but I am not sure. The only one I haven't personally talked to is Sam Vega so his politics are more unknown to me. I spoke at IGA earlier this week with Kim Olson and she can command a room.

This is the district I live in and I'm still not sure who I am voting for. If I was in TX-26 the choice would be a lot easier.

Kunabomber posted:

I did polling station work in Carrollton in your district and the votes were 2-1 Democrat there in 2018. It's possible.

I think so, people underestimate how much Trump motivates people. If we push policy that actually helps people on top of that I think we can have some shocking results in November.

zoux posted:

Another rabid zitoon goon harasses the thread

It's a bandwagon we all need to join.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

This is a correct take about Wendy Davis but an unbelievably incorrect take about Beto, who squeezed 20 point +R district into 3 point wins for a lot of republicans. There are absolutely Democrats sitting in long term GOP seats today because of Beto's Senate campaign which isn't something you can say about a Democratic state-wide also-ran since like, Reconstruction.

We're mad at Beto because he didn't stay here and run vs. Cornyn not because he ran a bad Texas Senate campaign, he ran a great Texas Senate campaign.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it time to start reading way too much into a special election in an r +20 district? Yes it is
https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1222900362568318977

The die is cast

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Beto should have just ran for the chairmanship for the stet Democratic party. He'd probably be able to do some good there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know we're all mad at Beto for running for president but imagine for a second you were surrounded by 50 Grima Wormtongues whispering in your ear that you're the chosen one and you can win this thing because they want to soak you and your supporters for campaign consultant cash.