Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

I love his absolute certainty in every statement he makes. He knows enough to know what other companies have managed to accomplish, and then seamlessly affords himself the same ability with absolutely no supporting evidence that he can get any of it done, while possessing none of the requisite skills. It's spectacular.

Precisely.

Chris talks with the confidence of a senior architect while knowing less about computers than your average 8 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

Bwahahaha, that is insane.
well the current Legal Manager at CIG LA used to be a model/makeup artist

I'm not even joking

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and not in like "oh years ago, before they went to law school" kinda thing

like recently. super recently

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

I'm not even joking

:lol:

I’m really tempted to send them my resume just to see what sort of crazy job they’d offer me. Like my degree and work experience is in a field almost completely incompatible with any of their openings, but they’d probably offer me lead software engineer for a Los Angles area poverty wage.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Virtual Captain posted:

Sean Tracy is a better liar than Chris. Just sayin.

Jared Huckaby FTW.

E: No he is a crap liar.

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

colonelwest posted:

I’m really tempted to send them my resume just to see what sort of crazy job they’d offer me. Like my degree and work experience is in a field almost completely incompatible with any of their openings, but they’d probably offer me lead software engineer for a Los Angles area poverty wage.

Do you understand game development? No? Welcome aboard!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

they have a job opening for a janitor right now -- get in, work there for about 3 months, then take over as lead gameplay designer. another six months at that, you'll be vice president of operations

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Daztek posted:

Do you understand game development? No? Welcome aboard!

And if a woman calls you and tells you you're fired, you can ignore her.

She's practicing something.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

"It's like pulling apart a grilled cheese sandwich"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:
Last week I pledged to Star Citizen, and in my first 5 or 6 hours, I've seen something that I'm not used to seeing in a gaming community: gratitude and helpfulness.

First, I'd like to say thank you to a fellow Citizen, for the help without hesitation on helping me find the port in Area 18.

And secondly, to a person who gave another player 650k UEC to buy a ship in game because the other person list their ship and wasn't able to claim or retrieve it.

If this is the way the community is and will remain, we will be the best community in gaming. Kudos to you all. It really made me proud as a gamer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dementropy posted:

Last week I pledged to Star Citizen, and in my first 5 or 6 hours, I've seen something that I'm not used to seeing in a gaming community: gratitude and helpfulness.

First, I'd like to say thank you to a fellow Citizen, for the help without hesitation on helping me find the port in Area 18.

And secondly, to a person who gave another player 650k UEC to buy a ship in game because the other person list their ship and wasn't able to claim or retrieve it.

If this is the way the community is and will remain, we will be the best community in gaming. Kudos to you all. It really made me proud as a gamer.

Nobody tell em the money all gets reset :ohdear:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Virtual Captain posted:

All of their “legal” stuff sounds like it’s straight out of Ace Attorney or a Trump tweet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1219580496323186689
https://twitter.com/cig_donna/status/1219895134009032704

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

Experience with next generation AAA engines

:siren:Engine Switch Confirmed:siren:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

I'm not even joking

Wait, so not only is MoMA Toast, he’s HOT Toast?

Now it all makes sense!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I'm not even joking

wut?

I know that your leaks have become an internet meme to some at this point. And to be fair, a lot of it has been some great poo poo. But this? Please Dear God and Josephine in Heaven tell me that they are letting their legal department be left in the hands of someone like that. There has to be something to this right?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dementropy posted:

At this point I am positive you have succeeded in creating an algorithm that seeks out anguish in its most desperate forms. Well done.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Virtual Captain posted:

"Our patience is not endless"

That sort of talk is only a small step away from "Nice house you have here. Rather inflammable though. Would be a shame if it caught fire"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

That sort of talk is only a small step away from "Nice house you have here. Rather inflammable though. Would be a shame if it caught fire"

It really is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to see coming from a cheesy villain.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that thing coming out of CIG's executive or legal team, having read the way Sandi writes in the Beer/Sandi emails.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Star Citizen: "Our patience is not endless" - CIG

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
If I were a less lazy man, I'd take a screenshot of that scene from Star Wars with all the villains sitting around a big table, and label it 'CIG's legal team hard at work'

downout
Jul 6, 2009

A question and a statement:

#1 Since many people speaking up and seem relatively invested often seem to say, "well hopefully there's a game one day", is there any evidence from the history of this project that you've seen that suggests this a possible outcome? I'm asking to those that still think this, but this is clearly a minority in the thread. And I be interested in anyone's responses that envision another outcome. Full disclosure, I have not purchased anything and do not intend to. I'm just curious how you see what is there given the current history of development.

#2 I remember at some point coming across a scenario and mechanic in a game. I don't remember what game, but it was a scenario that was obnoxious to solve and was nearly impossible due to badly/buggy mechanics. That was pretty much when I walked away. And I figured out in that moment that for me I don't like games that have scenarios that are difficult to solve/beat/win because the mechanics in the game make it difficult; for me that's fake difficulty. That seems a fatal flaw of SC. They have a high number of mechanics that are frustrating, not because they are "difficult to learn to be proficient with", but because their development is so incapable of fixing or creating something that is fun.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

wut?

I know that your leaks have become an internet meme to some at this point. And to be fair, a lot of it has been some great poo poo. But this? Please Dear God and Josephine in Heaven tell me that they are letting their legal department be left in the hands of someone like that. There has to be something to this right?
I mean honestly all it takes is a simple LinkedIn search. I'm not going to post the person's name and website and twitter and poo poo here, but it's not exactly like these things take some deep sleuthing to discover

and maybe they are great at their job and hey its loving LA where everyone is a model or an actor or a screenwriter

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think you might be misinterpreting the job title "Legal Manager". It's one that's a bit ill-defined, but I think it's generally used to mean something more akin to "Legal Assistant". I really doubt it's the person actually legally representing the company, but instead is doing a number of administrative legal tasks and such. And I don't really see how having been a makeup artist in the past should disqualify someone from that role.

I did a linkedin search on CIG as well and there's at least one person there who is their legal counsel, with an actual law degree. CIG does indeed have real lawyers.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 29, 2020

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

downout posted:

I've got no proof of this, but I strongly believe that inside the next couple of years, Calders is going to lock CR out of the office, bring in a publisher/studio with some experience, and spend six months gluing whatever exists into something vaguely playable to release.

Best case? Freelancer.
Probably outcome? Aliens: Colonial Marines.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

More like only a small step away from something Megatron would say to Starscream. It's just some ridiculous poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

downout posted:

#1 Since many people speaking up and seem relatively invested often seem to say, "well hopefully there's a game one day", is there any evidence from the history of this project that you've seen that suggests this a possible outcome? I'm asking to those that still think this, but this is clearly a minority in the thread. And I be interested in anyone's responses that envision another outcome. Full disclosure, I have not purchased anything and do not intend to. I'm just curious how you see what is there given the current history of development.

#2 I remember at some point coming across a scenario and mechanic in a game. I don't remember what game, but it was a scenario that was obnoxious to solve and was nearly impossible due to badly/buggy mechanics. That was pretty much when I walked away. And I figured out in that moment that for me I don't like games that have scenarios that are difficult to solve/beat/win because the mechanics in the game make it difficult; for me that's fake difficulty. That seems a fatal flaw of SC. They have a high number of mechanics that are frustrating, not because they are "difficult to learn to be proficient with", but because their development is so incapable of fixing or creating something that is fun.

1) There will be a "game" out eventually, if only to deny refunds and chargebacks. And this "game" will most likely be the "alpha" they are currently playing.

2) They are building a MMO without first planning any sort of proper network architecture, it doesn't matter if they are able to make a fun mechanic or not when the core of their engine has yet to be created. Oh, you have stumbled into some fun dogfighting implementation? well, will it be fun with the unknown amount of lag/players/resources you'll have in your game? Who knows! There is no way to make any informed decision under that sort of development.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I've been playing around in the game some more, joining a bunch of random discords and getting to know some people, and you know what the absolute worst thing about this game is?

It's not the crashes, it's not the bugs, it's not the lack of gameplay.

It's the fact that nearly every single person I've played with for over 15 minutes has at some point told me to spend another ~100€ on the game, because "that's really the best bang for your buck as far as ships go". Like nobody is even considering the fact that suggesting poo poo like this is the best way to scare off any normal people from the game.

Imagine if every new player who starts WoW was told "make sure you buy all the character boosts and enough gold so that you can buy all the best-in-slot items from the auction house". Insanity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

downout posted:

#1 if "a game" means an MMO, the odds are 0%. If its a buggy game with spaceships, then its already done. So depends where you draw the line.

#2 They're not even at that point. They don't even have scenarios or mechanics or difficulty. SC's fatal flaw is they haven't even designed it yet. I'm dead serious. There is no combat model. There is no economics model. There is no skill tree design or anything like that. Rewards, quests, these things are simply pie in the sky concepts. There is NO design. The current things in the game are just a heap of bugs and they're frustrating not by design or difficulty but just because the game is a pile of horrors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sunaurus posted:

I've been playing around in the game some more, joining a bunch of random discords and getting to know some people, and you know what the absolute worst thing about this game is?

It's not the crashes, it's not the bugs, it's not the lack of gameplay.

It's the fact that nearly every single person I've played with for over 15 minutes has at some point told me to spend another ~100€ on the game, because "that's really the best bang for your buck as far as ships go". Like nobody is even considering the fact that suggesting poo poo like this is the best way to scare off any normal people from the game.

Imagine if every new player who starts WoW was told "make sure you buy all the character boosts and enough gold so that you can buy all the best-in-slot items from the auction house". Insanity.

At this point its like a Nigerian Prince scam where they know it turns some people off but they don't even care. If you're not a space whale who will spend hundreds of dollars on spaceship jpgs, you can just gently caress off. You'd be a waste of their time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

There is no economics model.

But when it's coming, it's gonna be QUANTUM

or have quantas or something. A GUY AT CITIZENCON SAID SO

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

CIG: our patience is not endless, that's for the backers

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

downout posted:

The "well hopefully there's a game one day" statement doesn't seem to match your question. Sane, rational people who aren't being contrarian for internet cool points aren't rooting for it to be a scam - they're rooting for the people responsible to go down in flames because it's a scam. I think "I believe this game, as sold, will come out some day" is more the statement you're looking for. You'll probably need to go to a different forum or wait for Moma to come back.

While it's not goons, you can see the hopefuls in the quotes a few pages back. People who think that SC will be a reality, if not everything Chris promised, as long as they cut features and focus on priorities. Chris isn't an incompetent buffoon; he's just overly ambitious. Having a functional MMO and having a Battlefield knockoff are, in their minds, equal tasks and it's only the resource allocation that's been bungled. They're not the tojal/Vertisce caliber posters that have deified crobear and fiercely smite any intrusion by reality. Unfortunately these people are going to be rare because they're the kind that eventually sigh and bow out instead of doubling down on another Idris.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But when it's coming, it's gonna be QUANTUM

or have quantas or something. A GUY AT CITIZENCON SAID SO

By quantum do you mean really small and very uncertain?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Virtual Captain posted:

If they are certain to win and get there legal fee's paid for why are they throwing down with the smack talk.

If you are getting your legal fees paid back you must be in for a serious amount of jpegs, small claims don't pay that legal Malarkey.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

downout posted:

My opinion.

1) They can always slap a 1.0 release label on the current version. It will be pants and get eviscrated by critics and also lose its "its alpha!" shield, but it could be done. I think i'm on safe footing to state that there will never be a game like CIG/CR have promised over the years. I'm not sure even a competent development studio with infinite funds could produce that... or more to the point, want to do it, because their designs and plans are all over the place and some of the mechanics they have discussed are downright idiotic, especially after CR for years saying "yes" to every hair brained suggestion backers made, including stuff that contradicted other stuff.

Oh yeah, whatever happened to the PvP slider?

2) These issues could be resolved, although it does depend on what sort of challenges they are looking to give players and how high they want to set the learning curve. A high learning curve can be mitigated through on screen prompts, tutorials (although people often skip those), user manuals (lots of people don't read), etc.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Just caught up with the thread, and lol spacecourt.

VR Trip Report:
I've been investing my time into Boneworks and have come to the conclusion that the devs have experimented extensively into "immersion" and it parallels with SC quite a bit in this regard, in the experimentation that is. Execution, however they delivered a playable game.

Some background, Boneworks is this Half-Life wannabe in VR. Fully realized VR body, with IK, proper running, jumping and crouching movement like an FPS and lots of puzzles that the devs thought were cool, but aren't.

Hardcore VR :reddit: nerds have been gushing over this game because of what it represents, full immersion. But gently caress, sometimes its janky as hell, and I can randomly get nauseated from certain levels which I don't in others just because the design of a certain encounter was so bad, or a room where the devs thought it would be fun for you to run back and forth pushing random buttons without any manual or proper communication to the player on wtf was going on and trying to figure out the solution. Its the same with how in SC people absolutely worship the idea of spacelegs, even its implementation doesn't provide anything substantial in SC. Because the devs implemented something that you've been dreaming about, it doesn't mean it plays / works well.

Star Citizen tries to reinvent the wheel by selling ships and attaching them to game mechanics. We had that rotating miner which doesn't exist today, the spider mining bots? Remember those? What about the idea of boarding? Forgotten? I remember a Cutlass was prized because of the boarding mechanics, but that seems like a lifetime ago. The idea might be great, but when implemented it might be slightly better than a potato.

After several days of back and forth and finally finishing the game. I can say, gently caress it and good riddance. The idea was good, the implementation was good really, but in practice, it was one hell of a roller coaster.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

no_recall posted:

What about the idea of boarding? Forgotten? I remember a Cutlass was prized because of the boarding mechanics, but that seems like a lifetime ago. The idea might be great, but when implemented it might be slightly better than a potato.

Boarding is almost there. If you shoot at a door of a ship, you can knock it open and enter it. The only problem is that there is currently no way to stop the other ship. Presumably stuff like distortion cannons and whatnot will be able to tackle ships and bring them to a halt, but "the Combine Cannon and distortion weapons are not working as intended" has graced the patch notes for quite a while so far. They just don't work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

downout posted:

#1 when the 1st module came out, people thought, "hey neat, this isn't too bad" when the PU came out people said again "neat, some potential here.". That was 6 and 5 years ago respectfully, the CIG team was about 200 employees back then, they have achieved so little since that time with over 400 but even then, the signs were not good.

Anyone could take what they have and make an actual space genre game out of it within 3 years, there is really nothing to finish cause nothing has begun, small teams start from scratch with an idea, a copy of unreal engine and achieve it all the time. If you can sort through the shovelware and porn that floods steam these days, you can find a poo poo ton of these games. Question is why would anyone bother wanting to take Star Citizen to finish it? It's considered poison by the general gamers who know about it at this point, the ones who don't know by this point are not going to look now.

#2 All games suffer from a bad or silly design choices in some way, Star Citizen has these faults in loving spades, they also have no idea how the mechanics they want to add are supposed to be cohesive to the basic generic gameplay it does have, how does a medical ship work, or the news van, the drinks maker? This is a combo of throwing fresh poo poo that all of it to stuck to the wall and selling it to backers. They cornered themselves into a corner and only through years and years of delay and not mentioning it, adding different ships and land vehicles and hoping idiots that have spent over $55k forgot about the earlier stuff.

CIG devs do not play the game in any capacity, they don't test anything before a patch is released. Once their BF knockoff is "released" nothing will be fixed or released for it ever again because they moved on.