Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

one of the things our culture fails to do is let people transition gradually from working to not. you’re supposed to work 40+ hours until the exact moment your financial advisor says you’ll probably not live long enough to spend all your money before you die. then you stop working altogether permanently [unless there’s a recession and you retire at the “wrong time”] we should let people taper off work instead

also we should apply this to career expectations from the beginning

like instead of this idea that you gotta work 100 hours a week in a hellish amoral job so that you can make 10 million bucks by 40 and spend the next 30 years turning into an immobile lard ball on a cruise ship, maybe you only work 35 hours a week, 9 months of the year from day 1 and as a result you don't burn out and hate your life and it's cool to keep on working part time into your seventies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol at retiring. i’ll be full time till I die I reckon. hard to imagine how Ill escape this poo poo hole

nice sometimes to just imagine having no kids or anyone you’re responsible for so I could just top myself.

it’s loving exhausting trying to fabricate a new reason to want to be alive every week 🤯 😒

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echi seek a help :sympathy:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

echi seek a help :sympathy:

watuary held so much promise!!

i watched the goop episode on netflix about taking mushroom to heal and so I wonder if more psychedelics (not less) is the answer

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

echinopsis posted:

i watched the goop episode on netflix about taking mushroom to heal and so I wonder if more psychedelics (not less) is the answer

short term yes long term no. elevated awareness simultaneously lets you fix your poo poo and exposes you to new poo poo that will eventually need fixed. but the new poo poo is always more abstract and further removed from "normal" every time and harder for your peers to relate to unless of course they're all dosed up too. keep that up and eventually you'll become so fully one with everything that normal life is morally impossible to live and you must wander the earth as a prophet. you can't do that if you have a family, or maybe you can what the gently caress do i know i don't have kids start a cult

i wouldn't trust anything netflix has to say about anything, talk to a human being about it man. you had it right earlier more connection to nature and natural things is a better answer than just psychedelics, but they can be a great part of that. and imo gently caress any job that makes you feel that way. there are a lot worse things than being poor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who are you

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
bump

i can’t wait for hiking season to start up again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm gonna be going on a portage trip over memorial day and i'm pumped. mostly because i'll be entirely out of cell phone range

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

echinopsis posted:

who are you

some guy on the internet, my qualifications are living in the woods and having eaten a lot of mushrooms. who are you?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

it might be hard to set up but try a thumbprint of lsd

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

do a weekly music instead :)

sounds like a regular hobby thing would be nice, also you do the rod tronics do you not?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

some guy on the internet, my qualifications are living in the woods and having eaten a lot of mushrooms. who are you?

How much is "a lot"?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Why would someone post on the forums just to dox me :(

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Jerry Cotton posted:

How much is "a lot"?

more of the psychedelic kind than a barbeque-loving vegan eats portabellos. it's not the kind of thing you really keep track of. enough that the whole normal life becoming morally impossible/wandering the earth sharing love thing is lived experience

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
i will never retire but at least i can use my salary to enjoy hobbies outside of work. i'm not waiting until some "retirement" point to start living my life.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i hope to retire at 60 ops

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
how much money do you need to retire at 35 if your house is paid off. like, 2 million?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
sure, maybe

the real answer is of course "who knows" because you're relying on building an individual bulwark against a world you can't control

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Methanar posted:

how much money do you need to retire at 35 if your house is paid off. like, 2 million?

if your house is paid off that massively reduces your living costs. most retirement calculators will ask what your spend is and not having that over your head is huge

2 million could give you ~60k of yearly income indefinitely fairly reliably though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

do a weekly music instead :)

sounds like a regular hobby thing would be nice, also you do the rod tronics do you not?

yep for sure. a weekly music could be good for me, I jammed out a “song” last night but def need practice lol

owlhawk911 posted:

just a dude from the internet. i liked drugs when I was younger (thought they were interesting) so I turned it into my career now i’m a pharmacist

mushrooms are good. as is cactus when you have a trifecta of anti-nausea drugs before hand. shared it with a friend recently, he’d never done it (he’s an ex-anaesthetist who’s done shitloads of iv ketamine lol) and he didn’t get any nausea and i don’t think that has ever happened in world history before . acid is good too for just how easy it is. fuckin love psychedelics. lots to discover in this mind of ours, but slowly doing more and more thru meditation rather than pharmacology which is interesting and very good but not as interesting or fun lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

be @here now

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

echinopsis posted:

just a dude from the internet. i liked drugs when I was younger (thought they were interesting) so I turned it into my career now i’m a pharmacist

mushrooms are good. as is cactus when you have a trifecta of anti-nausea drugs before hand. shared it with a friend recently, he’d never done it (he’s an ex-anaesthetist who’s done shitloads of iv ketamine lol) and he didn’t get any nausea and i don’t think that has ever happened in world history before . acid is good too for just how easy it is. fuckin love psychedelics. lots to discover in this mind of ours, but slowly doing more and more thru meditation rather than pharmacology which is interesting and very good but not as interesting or fun lol

i like to keep things as natural as possible. i wouldn't try any form of dmt until i got in contact with someone who could brew up ayahuasca, and even though i definitely got got all sweaty and threw up and it was unpleasant at the time in retrospect it was cleansing in a way and going through that was definitely an important part of the experience. used to pick all my own mushrooms but started growing them so i could share. acid is fun, but the same things that make it easier make it less transformative. meditation is super important whether you supplement it chemically or not, that practice guiding your awareness is crucial to getting something out of altering it. music is great too, best when it's collaborative. don't be too cool for drum circles, it's about creativity not output

best of luck man, sending good vibes your way. you seem like a good guy going off just a couple forum posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this year I’ve decided on setting reasonable goals. like instead of weekly song, monthly song. life is fuckin full when you got kids and a full time job and finding time to give to ya gf and kids and housework and all hobbies is hard. don’t wanna slow down on graphical poo poo either ya see. rodtronics is a multidisciplinary organisation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

owlhawk911 posted:

i like to keep things as natural as possible. i wouldn't try any form of dmt until i got in contact with someone who could brew up ayahuasca, and even though i definitely got got all sweaty and threw up and it was unpleasant at the time in retrospect it was cleansing in a way and going through that was definitely an important part of the experience. used to pick all my own mushrooms but started growing them so i could share. acid is fun, but the same things that make it easier make it less transformative. meditation is super important whether you supplement it chemically or not, that practice guiding your awareness is crucial to getting something out of altering it. music is great too, best when it's collaborative. don't be too cool for drum circles, it's about creativity not output

best of luck man, sending good vibes your way. you seem like a good guy going off just a couple forum posts

thanks brother. some good notes here for sure.

I think after watching that goop show, made me realise that I’ve always generally just taken whatever and then whatever happens happens and if I learn something it’s by accident. rather than some kind of “healing ceremony”, you seem more in touch with making this stuff impact your life rather than just be fun.

thanks man. appreciate your time

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 30, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

I think it should be "not fewer" not "not less"?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

I think it should be "not fewer" not "not less"?

fewer would be correct if the intent was to reduce the variety of psychedelics, whereas less is correct if the intent is to reduce the amount of psychedelics in the abstract/general

:eng101:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus fuckin christ

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

fewer would be correct if the intent was to reduce the variety of psychedelics, whereas less is correct if the intent is to reduce the amount of psychedelics in the abstract/general

:eng101:

Oh right. :doh:!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Methanar posted:

extreme lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

2 million could give you ~60k of yearly income indefinitely fairly reliably though

source ur quotes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theadder posted:

source ur quotes

60k/yr on 2 million invested is a 3 percent return. That's totally doable with little risk.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

inflation over 60 remaining years

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

assuming 3% is; i think, as a pessimist; fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theadder posted:

inflation over 60 remaining years

so you reinvest some of it. do you actually spend 60,000 dollars a year? remember that capital gains are only taxed 15%

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
$15,000 per year in hair removal treatments

smoothest rear end crack and gooch the world has ever seen

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also any years over 3% gets reinvested. also also keep in mind you're buying assets which would presumably inflate right alongside which is half the point

this is literally how trust funds support trust fund babies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wish I was a trustafarian

having more money would literally solve every single one of my problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

don't need much money to leave it all behind and wander off into the woods

hell look at my cousin he's broke as poo poo and he's lived in a cabin for the past ten years