Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
That’s super cool!

I’ve started to really experience that when doing leads over jams - I find myself not looking at the fretboard and just whipping my hand around, and 50% of the time I end up on a note I wouldn’t have thought to pick, which then ends up as a new pattern starting point.

But the moment I think about what I’m doing, I’ll make a very obvious mistake and sit there like an idiot, not knowing wtf. Looks like I need to just keep on doing it to buff up my improv brain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Spanish Manlove posted:

These guys are big dog fancy rich dudes from UCSF and have regular access to MRIs and I'm just a lowly brain electrician, so it was a fun interaction (they seemed very pompous)

I was going to ask if it was Charles Lin at UCSF and lo and behold. My friend said that he is cool at least.

A lot of his interests lie in making people who have hearing loss be able to perceive and enjoy music. So they've been doing stuff like using MRIs to determine exact electrode depth placement.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rifter17 posted:

I was going to ask if it was Charles Lin at UCSF and lo and behold. My friend said that he is cool at least.

A lot of his interests lie in making people who have hearing loss be able to perceive and enjoy music. So they've been doing stuff like using MRIs to determine exact electrode depth placement.

Yeah it was one of his postdocs or PhD students who I spoke to most of the time. He dropped by and said hi but I didn't talk with him much.

My stuff for today is passive noise exposure causing neural reorganization in old mice. I'm also going to be doing more of this passive exposure stuff but I don't think my PI will let me do something like hook up the signal generator to my HM2 rig and see what harsh noise does to brains.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Anyway I'm at a hearing science conference now and am killing time until I have to present my poo poo so I thought I'd share a cool thing I learned here:

One study showed MRIs of kids that were taught how to improv on piano and compared them to a previous study where they showed MRIs of adult jazz musicians doing improv on piano. The design of the study was brilliant, they had the kids learn a pentatonic using just the Black keys and made a special apparatus with a non-metal keyboard to let them do it in the MRI machine. The pentatonic was easy to memorize (just black keys) and they made a backing track to ensure that there could be no sour notes, like hitting a B or F in a C major scale (all white keys). When you're in a proper improv groove your brain will actually deactivate certain areas in the frontal cortex while activating others in there, as well as the usual spots for motor control and auditory functions. In kids they had a different areas get turned on and off, showing that the sections for creativity differ in the kids. I didn't get specifics because they haven't yet tried it with musically naive adults or other age groups but my take home message was that there is an actual neural correlate for the "solo zone" or "temple of shred" (or whatever it was actually called) I heard the dude from Morbid Angel talk about in a guitar magazine when I was a kid.

Basically when you're in the zone you suppress critical thought and just let the creativity parts light up. With proper experience and training the improv sections of your brain get larger so it's easier to get into the zone and not be brought out of it as easily, due to a distraction like a sour note or getting hit with a bottle. (Btw the big boy fancy neuroscientists didn't quite think that last joke was funny)

I’m really interested in this kind of thing, thanks for sharing!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slothful Bong posted:

That’s super cool!

I’ve started to really experience that when doing leads over jams - I find myself not looking at the fretboard and just whipping my hand around, and 50% of the time I end up on a note I wouldn’t have thought to pick, which then ends up as a new pattern starting point.

But the moment I think about what I’m doing, I’ll make a very obvious mistake and sit there like an idiot, not knowing wtf. Looks like I need to just keep on doing it to buff up my improv brain!

or just follow the marty friedman approach and realize there's no such thing as right or wrong notes because you can always bend up to one that sounds "correct" and anyone listening will think you're a genius

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't think my PI will let me do something like hook up the signal generator to my HM2 rig and see what harsh noise does to brains.

That’s because HM2s aren’t that good for harsh noise, you’d be better off with a Death Metal pedal :v:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My stupid music poo poo is I saw this part of the photo

And was all :eyepop: how many fukken strings are on there?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

That’s because HM2s aren’t that good for harsh noise, you’d be better off with a Death Metal pedal :v:

Ehhh that's basically wide band noise at that point and I've already tested that

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Snowy posted:

My stupid music poo poo is I saw this part of the photo

And was all :eyepop: how many fukken strings are on there?

Same.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
An awful lot of people have guitar collections that look like one of those spot the difference puzzles.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

This post inspired me to pull my ~15 year old SX jazz bass out of the closet and run it through my a VST. Not a bad instrument for $170 or whatever I paid for it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I'm the random remote just hangin' with da crew.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That dude knows what he likes!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I made my wife walk down the aisle to Mambo Number 5 so she could know all the dirty dickin’ I’m giving up for her.

lol

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A page late for GWARbar discussion but I used to live in Richmond and can confirm that it's a surprisingly excellent restaurant. They have chicken nuggets stuffed with duck confit and mozzarella with GWARbq sauce for dipping. Can't beat it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There’s some article that talks about how Mike Derks aka Balsac the Jaws of Death is “really into cooking.”

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There’s some article that talks about how Mike Derks aka Balsac the Jaws of Death is “really into cooking.”
Thor Harris said it best when that Tumblr post of How to Tour in a Band or Whatever was published over 9 years ago. Like sure, there's stuff in there that could use an update, but if you wanna tour, there's few things that list doesn't tell you to keep in mind.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Thor Harris said it best when that Tumblr post of How to Tour in a Band or Whatever was published over 9 years ago. Like sure, there's stuff in there that could use an update, but if you wanna tour, there's few things that list doesn't tell you to keep in mind.

hah i toured with someone who broke 11 of those rules. surprisingly he was also a huge rear end in a top hat and no one talks to him anymore.

also no complaining should count as 5 rules good god that was a rough week.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wark Say posted:

This is solid advice. Personally my tip is that if one of you is an incredible snorer and there aren't enough single rooms the obvious remedy is nightly roulette for who gets the short straw, BUT also consider the non-snorers just sleeping three to a double instead... What you lose in personal space you absolutely gain in decent rest.

If that fails and you can't hack it any more then just kill the snorer in their sleep.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I look at poo poo like this and just think "gently caress, I don't have any basses at all, and you got this? rich motherfucker, you can afford to lose one. just fuckin' send me one. send me the shittiest one, I don't care, just get me a thing with four strings so I can make the thump-thump noises too."

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

hexwren posted:

I look at poo poo like this and just think "gently caress, I don't have any basses at all, and you got this? rich motherfucker, you can afford to lose one. just fuckin' send me one. send me the shittiest one, I don't care, just get me a thing with four strings so I can make the thump-thump noises too."

They're SXs though, all 8 of them together maybe add up to the price of an American Fender.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

hah i toured with someone who broke 11 of those rules. surprisingly he was also a huge rear end in a top hat and no one talks to him anymore.

also no complaining should count as 5 rules good god that was a rough week.
Literally the only rule my original band broke was #3 because before we had the most badass drum-tech, our drummer always lost his goddamn drum keys. Hell, the original reasons we hired our drum-tech were:
  • because she always kept spares for both drumsticks and drum keys.
  • She had her main drum key on her keychains.
She also took absolutely no bullshit/harassment from anybody to the point that, as I previously mentioned in either this here thread or the Hellgigs one (which I need to update!), she once laid out a dipshit who kept trying to get handsy in one punch.

darkwasthenight posted:

This is solid advice. Personally my tip is that if one of you is an incredible snorer and there aren't enough single rooms the obvious remedy is nightly roulette for who gets the short straw, BUT also consider the non-snorers just sleeping three to a double instead... What you lose in personal space you absolutely gain in decent rest.

If that fails and you can't hack it any more then just kill the snorer in their sleep.
Thank god the only times we ever dealt with that it was either a) people from other bands we shared a place with b) some promo/venue manager/etc. Driving almost non-stop due to our rock-gently caress insane touring schedule also helped us become able to sleep almost everywhere.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

one night on a tour we got almost no sleep because one of the guys from the other band on tour with us had the most insane inhuman snore weve ever heard. all 8 of us were crammed into a friends living room and every time we were about to nod off hed let out some crazy rear end snore and wed all start laughing hysterically. this went on for like 2 hours.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr. Faustus posted:

That dude knows what he likes!

I like that it's not necessary to have anything more than the info contained in the picture to know that this is 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt a dude we're talking about

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_zd0G8HGSo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Unless each of your guitars clearly covers different sonic ground I can’t help but think less of you*. I don’t care how much you love Telecasters.

*But, ya know, who gives a gently caress what I think lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Except Ironbirds. I want to own all of them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Except Ironbirds. I want to own all of them.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Unless each of your guitars clearly covers different sonic ground I can’t help but think less of you*. I don’t care how much you love Telecasters.

*But, ya know, who gives a gently caress what I think lol

The entirety of my collection is an ugly mim strat from a pawnshop, a gorgeous mim p-bass that is a retired rental instument, and an Epiphone PJ bass bought for like $150 circa 2001 that doesn’t really work and just sits in a closet but Tom Araya drew a pentagram on it and it has sentimental value to me. In practice I am really quite cheap/minimalist when it comes to guitars.

That said, I kinda get it. Because I contemplate modding my bass all the time and I never do it because I really like it as is and I don’t want to mess with a good thing in pursuit of an idea of perfection that will always be a moving target. But if I had infinite money to throw at this and no shame about it I’d probably own several p/pj/jazz/stingray basses by now that were all just like minor variations with different necks and pickups and pots and bridges and whatever, because that’s how I could try out little tweaks without messing with what I already have. For that matter I’d prob have several strats/LPs/teles/jazzmasters with the same kind of little differences, despite the fact that I suck rear end at guitar. And there’d prob be a bunch of overlap in terms of finishes because they only come in so many colors and I like what I like.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 30, 2020

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Because I contemplate modding my bass all the time and I never do it because I really like it as is and I don’t want to mess with a good thing in pursuit of an idea of perfection that will always be a moving target.

I am about to come out the tail end of a cycle kind of related to this. I got a Squier VI about three years ago that I ended up doing a bunch of stuff to for quality-of-life improvements, and to make it play and sound more like a bass than the original string gauges and pickups were going to enable. I got talked into buying that instead of an NOS Fender Pawn Shop VI because of the difference in price on an instrument I had never played before... but in late 2018, I found a used Pawn Shop model in the candy apple red finish and bought it. I found myself not playing it... not because it wasn’t nice, but because I don’t hear the same charm and feel the same involvement as I do in playing the one I made to my own spec. Since I’ve already got one that does what I want, and since the Fender model would have its value decreased at this point if I made any changes to it, I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that I just don’t need two VIs in my life.

I try to run my collection with keeping a meaningful variety of stuff on hand that tickles different parts of my brain, and fortunately, I’ve had good luck with the local used market having things that do that at not-outrageous prices, but it is still tough sometimes to stave off the “yeah but THAT Jaguar bass is the BLUE finish... you need a blue bass!” All that would get me is a bunch of the same crap, and somewhere, I recognize that I don’t need it.

That said, I have an offset series Mustang PJ and got a Squier VM Jaguar short-scale that I’ve been trying to get to sound more like the Mustang the whole time I’ve had it, so apparently I’m the stupid music poo poo anyway.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m really interested in this kind of thing, thanks for sharing!

You should check out the book, This is Your Brain on Music, all sorts of stuff like this in there.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Japanese guitar companies really shouldn't use English words they don't understand to name their guitars...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gnumonic posted:

Japanese guitar companies really shouldn't use English words they don't understand to name their guitars...

wow... double fascism! :eyepop:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gnumonic posted:

tag urself, I'm Scary Starshell

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

No, see, that's his name and title. Fascist Fascist, Vice Serpent. Like Humbert Humbert.

And, uh, Cobra Commander?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wishbone V! :frogc00l:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I wouldn't mind a guitar called The Pirate Exploder Mk II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

No, see, that's his name and title. Fascist Fascist, Vice Serpent. Like Humbert Humbert.

or former un general secretary boutros boutros ghali, and his wife mrs mrs ghali