Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Whatever happened to the improved UI they showed at Blizzcon? It was so nice in that it didn't take up half the loving screen like the classic or current UI...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
a bunch of units have new death sounds but they're very different from the originals - remnants from the rerecording process? it's like having a reminder of how much they dropped off this thing lmao

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

matchmaking is all hosed up on launch day but i can forgive that. what is more amazing is that there is still no ability to View Profile, for winrates or anything else.

my first game turned out great though! i happened to be matched with a noob i played one other time four years ago. good chats

quote:

(0:19 / All) BEARAND: hi
(0:33 / All) NickSeitzer: hi
(0:37 / All) BEARAND: spirit homecare right?
(0:40 / All) BEARAND: :D
(0:50 / All) NickSeitzer: lol looked me up that fast?
(0:53 / All) BEARAND: no
(0:55 / All) BEARAND: we've played before
(1:29 / All) NickSeitzer: omg
(7:41 / All) BEARAND: do you remember our last game
(8:15 / All) NickSeitzer: nope
(13:38 / All) NickSeitzer: are u serious? we played b4?
(24:11 / All) BEARAND: (69:11 / All) nickseitzer: gay
(24:14 / All) NickSeitzer: lol
(24:18 / All) BEARAND: (69:22 / All) nickseitzer: homo
(24:21 / All) BEARAND: very rude...
(24:24 / All) NickSeitzer: LOL
(24:34 / All) NickSeitzer: honestly might have been my buddy
(24:38 / All) NickSeitzer: he played my account back then too
(24:46 / All) NickSeitzer: i normally don't say "homo"
(24:49 / All) BEARAND: (53:12 / All) nickseitzer: yes, spirit homecare
(24:55 / All) BEARAND: (53:27 / All) nickseitzer: that's the medical office I manage
(24:59 / All) NickSeitzer: oh... maybe not then

Zaphod42 posted:

This is whatever the opposite of polished is, holy poo poo

The game runs at 144hz but the character models.... I swear they're animating at like 20fps. The game camera moves smoothly, but the character models are super loving stuttery.

The UI is awkward at best. Some of the new art is good... but everything just feels very thrown together.

YOU CANNOT START AN OFFLINE COMP STOMP MATCH. To play vs AI, you have to reserve an online lobby, which the servers are having issues right now. Awesome work!

good catch, this is a "known" issue (blizz hasn't acknowledged afaik). bizarrely, reforged worldedit doesn't chop up the animations and it looks good, but as you say, ingame animations are badly interpolated or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigIq38iRaQ

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/please-remove-the-ingame-animation-fps-cap-from-units/13010/23

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/animations-seem-locked-to-60hz/12785

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
This is a bit of a mess, even though it runs at a solid 144fps it stutters when buildings blow up and stuff, oh well! For something positive even the ROC campaign uses the newest TFT balance patch stuff, so it's a kinda different experience, I'm not sure if they've also included casters doing magic damage as I've only played 1 mission so far. I won't surprised if the balance changes fundamentally break some of the missions. Also if you get the campaign insta-fail stuff it seems restarting the game fixes it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

uniball posted:

matchmaking is all hosed up on launch day but i can forgive that. what is more amazing is that there is still no ability to View Profile, for winrates or anything else.

my first game turned out great though! i happened to be matched with a noob i played one other time four years ago. good chats

good catch, this is a "known" issue (blizz hasn't acknowledged afaik). bizarrely, reforged worldedit doesn't chop up the animations and it looks good, but as you say, ingame animations are badly interpolated or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigIq38iRaQ

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/please-remove-the-ingame-animation-fps-cap-from-units/13010/23

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/animations-seem-locked-to-60hz/12785

:wtc:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

clan towa will be returning...whenever they let us

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Horizon Burning posted:

a bunch of units have new death sounds but they're very different from the originals - remnants from the rerecording process? it's like having a reminder of how much they dropped off this thing lmao

death sounds are part of the model so they were likely rerecorded as part of the model update and then nobody changed them

it's weirdly inconsistent though - some models have it, some don't

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh forgot to mention they also did my least favorite thing with remasters and you have to unlock all the campaigns one by one all over again

This is a remaster of a 18 year old videogame Blizzard you loving idiots I've beaten it at least 5 times, gently caress off

cheat codes probably still work but its a pain in the rear end to have to jump through all those hoops

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On a personal note, playing through the campaign, I've made it as far as the start of "Dissension" in the human campaign.

Aside from the issues with Grom, purely looking at adjustments to the campaigns themselves, I like most of what I'm seeing. The bottom of the previous page mentioned the very awkwardly-done, badly-spliced "Hellscream" over any instance of "Grom" being spoken, because apparently they're trying to erase the use of "Grom" as a shortform of Grommash for some reason. Plus my existing gripe over his tattoo, but that's a smaller detail. I wouldn't be quite so annoyed with the removal of "Grom" if the audio splice weren't so badly done.

The only other detail I'm remotely "ehhh" on is a small dialogue change in Stratholme. The original dialogue between Arthas and Uther went: "They may look fine now, but it's only a matter of time before they turn into the undead!" "What?!" "This entire city must be purged." "How can you even consider that?" etc.

They moved the "What" to after the "purged" line. So now, it's just "What?! How can you even consider that?" and Uther just completely ignores the line about the people turning into undead.

But everything else I like. Balance and stat details in the ROC campaigns have been made consistent with Frozen Throne, and other mechanics added. A healing glyph that doubles as a lore reference drops from the bandit ambush by Benedict in the first Arthas level, with Benedict's forces being labelled as the Syndicate, with the name of the Glyph referencing Perenolde. Menag, who previously hurled fireballs from his axe for some inexplicable reason, has been changed into a rogue wizard model. Apparently all the huge tree barriers to the secret mob camps in Human Mission 2 have been removed, so you just need to stumble across the path. In the Hearthglen holdout, they give you a Captain (named "Sergeant" instead), and your priests start out with Master training (at least on normal). In the first Northrend level where Arthas finds Muradin, the captain is named "Captain Marwyn", and the captain in the following level is named "Captain Luc Valonforth", matching the name given to him in the WoW quest in Dragonblight during Wrath of the Lich King.

And many other small details, to say nothing of the complete map overhaul of Stratholme. As a Warcraft 2 veteran, I greatly appreciate that they gave the city a Harbor/waterfront.

EDIT: I felt like being an at least somewhat positive voice; yes, Reforged is by no means a perfect product. It is flawed. But that doesn't mean it didn't get anything right, either, and I feel that we should praise what we *do* like about it, and not focus exclusively on the bad.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This might be a dumb question but what were the things that were supposed to be changed and weren't? I hadn't paid super close attention to this (didn't even realize it was out until like a couple of hours ago) but I sort of assumed it was just supposed to be like SC remastered but people have been complaining about things not being changed.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Cuntellectual posted:

This might be a dumb question but what were the things that were supposed to be changed and weren't? I hadn't paid super close attention to this (didn't even realize it was out until like a couple of hours ago) but I sort of assumed it was just supposed to be like SC remastered but people have been complaining about things not being changed.

It was going to be much closer to a full remake to bring Warcraft 3's lore and story more in accordance with how WoW had told it, for better or worse. This included an altered script, new voice acting, big map alterations and every map getting in-game cutscenes like The Culling demo had. New characters would be included and all the units that shared models would get new ones that actually differentiated them. And all of this, of course, goes with the graphics overhaul. Track down The Culling demo on Youtube and get an idea for how different an experience it was going to be.

According to Blizzard, fan outrage had them cut every single one of these changes except the new models. As it stands, it seems like Blizzard massively overvalued the thoughts of die-hard Warcraft 3 purists, or simply ran out of time, budget and talent to actually finish it. What people are getting now is a graphics overhaul which is... and I'm playing this... a mix of decent, improved, reimagined, and some that are just ugly. Some of the units have fewer animations than they did in the original, some are exactly the same to the point of being ugly and choppy, and others are entirely new. The new voice acting appears to have been implemented and then cut out because a ton of units have new death cries that sound nothing like their other responses.

The thing is, while playing, you can clearly see the units lip-syncing all the dialogue on the map itself.

And as BlazetheInferno points out, they've altered the script and such anyway. Presumably as some aspect of what they were going to rerecord, but now we're left with awkward badly-spliced words.

Oh, and on top of these, heaps of features from old Warcraft 3 are missing. For example, custom campaign support. There's also heaps of weird bugs and issues.

Oh, and another important aspect is that Blizzard didn't announce they were dropping all the things like new lore and voice acting and maps and cutscenes and so on. They let it slip in interviews but never actually said officially that the scope had been changed. The Warcraft 3 store page even promised 'reforged cutscenes' in maps and so on. So, anyone who's bought it based off The Culling demo and such is just not getting anything like what they thought they were. In addition, it seems like a lot of people can't even play it - you need to be on Battle.net to play any of it and it seems to love dropping people at random.

BlazetheInferno posted:

EDIT: I felt like being an at least somewhat positive voice; yes, Reforged is by no means a perfect product. It is flawed. But that doesn't mean it didn't get anything right, either, and I feel that we should praise what we *do* like about it, and not focus exclusively on the bad.

Flawed? It's had a disastrous launch. It's pretty much unplayable, and I need to reconnect to Battle.Net after every mission during the campaign or I can't proceed.

Anyway, by all accounts, all the things you do like about it - the little alterations and easter eggs and such - cease to exist after the Human campaign, by the sounds of things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Its a remaster of a very popular game. It should be an easy slam dunk. Don't see why we should cut them any slack whatsoever.

What do I like about it? Its Warcraft 3. But its worse than the original which is bad.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm going to download this and come back in a week. It's hilarious to me that after 15 years of WoW they haven't figured out that on release day they might need to rent out a server farm or something to help with the load.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
It just feels unfinished. Like what you'd get if you were some indie studio with too big dreams and not enough talent, needing to rush what you've got out the door. The Starcraft Remaster was great - it did exactly what it said it would. But Reforged is just a mess. All the stuff they've left in feels so half-done, like how a lot of the cutscenes are updated so people are walking instead of running... but it just makes it more apparent that there was a bigger plan.

edit: Cutscenes aren't identical to the old one even, camera angles are different. Now when the riderless horses return in Blackrock and Roll it feels like a comedy beat because they just zoom through Arthas and Uther as they're talking. Utterly bizarre.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 29, 2020

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Multiplayer seems to have been added as an afterthought.
Warcraft 3 was the first game where they started to give a really robust feature set to multiplayer; automated tourneys, all the different profile pic rewards for 1v1s, 2v2, etc, I really assumed they would just port over the existing game with it's existing feature set, and then, hell, I dunno, add some QoL improvements like from SC2 (workers immediately go to gold mine upon game start, a VS AI mode, achievements).
Crunch really hosed them I guess but what else are were they working on creating this year? Have they really cut staff to the point where Hearthstone and WoW take up too much manpower, where they can't even do a port?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they literally worked for the better part of two years on this (possibly three years). In light of that, idk how generous I would be, especially given that it actually removed features overall.

Quad posted:

Multiplayer seems to have been added as an afterthought.
Warcraft 3 was the first game where they started to give a really robust feature set to multiplayer; automated tourneys, all the different profile pic rewards for 1v1s, 2v2, etc, I really assumed they would just port over the existing game with it's existing feature set, and then, hell, I dunno, add some QoL improvements like from SC2 (workers immediately go to gold mine upon game start, a VS AI mode, achievements).
Crunch really hosed them I guess but what else are were they working on creating this year? Have they really cut staff to the point where Hearthstone and WoW take up too much manpower, where they can't even do a port?

They've gone through 2 or 3 big waves of layoffs since this was announced that mostly targeted old-timers, project managers, etc. really anyone drawing a big paycheck for knowing what was going on, so yeah that seems entirely possible. Depending on when work started on it, possibly even more. None of the rounds of layoffs were small, either.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 29, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/KalebPrime/status/1222365505459191809

Not only has Blizzard made a crappy remaster, they've made Warcraft 3 worse, retroactively.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So there's currently no way to play the orignal, un-remastered Warcarft III, even if you bought it? Curious.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's correct. It's been that way roughly since they announced reforged. I actually tried to buy wc3 like 6-9 months ago and blizz wasn't even selling it. If you have reforged you can apparently select the 'no reforged graphics' options, but you're still playing reforged.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

The updated graphics are so bizarre. The original game used stylized, exaggerated models and animations to compensate for the limited detail. It was a stylistic choice, and the entire look of the game was obviously designed with that in mind.

Now, the more detailed and realistic models clash so hard with everything. Arthas is twice as tall as a footman. Villagers are as tall as farms. This stuff didn't matter in the original game's style, but now everything just looks... weird. I'm glad they give players the option to switch back to the original graphics, but now I'm not really sure why I bought it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm very excited to see blizz retroactively brick our old versions so that we all have to hop on Mr. Reforged's wild ride

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I was really hoping the rumours of Blizzard rolling back most of the improvements and updates in response to a bunch of internet babies fearing change were exaggerated, but nope.

Also, I can't even start the game on my home computer. Try to authenticate using the mobile app, only keep getting "There was an error handling the request".

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Der Shovel posted:

I was really hoping the rumours of Blizzard rolling back most of the improvements and updates in response to a bunch of internet babies fearing change were exaggerated, but nope.

I'm pretty sure this is just an excuse to take heat away from Blizzard.

As evidence I will put forth every lack of PR and Blizzard input of the game in the last six months, including the most quiet launch of a nostalgia filled classic I've ever seen. Kentucky Route Zero got more press and influences on it yesterday than Blizzard. It's screaming "get this out of the door and forget about it"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

In addition, it seems like a lot of people can't even play it - you need to be on Battle.net to play any of it and it seems to love dropping people at random.

This is the most damning thing about reforged to me. When I purchased WC3 so many years ago, I did so for the campaign. I didn't know about multiplayer, about battle.net accounts, until long after I had beaten it. And it still strikes my fancy that if I am away somewhere and have limited/no internet that I can take out my laptop and play a couple WC3 campaign missions or vs AI games. That is no longer possible. Why the hell do they care if I'm playing some campaign missions? Why do I need to be logged in to an online service to use the product I purchased when I haven't had to previously?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Polio Vax Scene posted:

This is the most damning thing about reforged to me. When I purchased WC3 so many years ago, I did so for the campaign. I didn't know about multiplayer, about battle.net accounts, until long after I had beaten it. And it still strikes my fancy that if I am away somewhere and have limited/no internet that I can take out my laptop and play a couple WC3 campaign missions or vs AI games. That is no longer possible. Why the hell do they care if I'm playing some campaign missions? Why do I need to be logged in to an online service to use the product I purchased when I haven't had to previously?

Sounds like you're producing valuable data they could otherwise use for their own profits! Wouldn't want them to miss out on having the bux to slash more developers and hire some sweatshop workers to code in a $20 hero skin pack, now would you?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Remember how I said that the Warcraft III Custom Map community was still going strong?

Yeah, not so much anymore. Reforged's launch was like a nuke going off.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

This game is gonna be fun after a few patches and updates when it goes to $10 in 3 months.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was so excited to play Warcraft 3 again and now I can't even do that. God blizzard you suck.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

Remember how I said that the Warcraft III Custom Map community was still going strong?

It's such a shame. I guess the execs that are left are still salty over dota.
:(

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fenarisk posted:

This game is gonna be fun after a few patches and updates when it goes to $10 in 3 months.

lol blizzard games getting discounted, good one

tbf I haven't really played much blizzard-related stuff the past couple years so maybe they changed their tune since then, I guess SC1 was free when the remaster released.

E: I can kinda get poo poo like the uninspired graphics or not implementing some stuff because W3 veterans threw a fit, but releasing with as many bugs and extremely unpolished aspects as it seems they have is indefensible for a remaster IMO. Especially when they still went past initial release date despite slashing like every non-graphical feature besides some campaign map changes.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Didn't they make all the characters in heroes free during blizzcon and then immediately make them paid for because of course.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I just remember the extremely funny pricing of D2 when it arrived on the b.net launcher

Just checked and it's still €20 for LOD for me and it's not even remastered just LMAO at thinking W3R will drop below $30 this decade

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I don't play a lot of games and I was really excited about this one, reading that it's so terrible and seeing how I still cannot even start the game properly makes me so sad. I had high hopes this works out, because what could go terrible reworking a classic game? :smith:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

lol blizzard games getting discounted, good one

tbf I haven't really played much blizzard-related stuff the past couple years so maybe they changed their tune since then, I guess SC1 was free when the remaster released.

D3, necro expansion, SC2 campaigns, and a ton of others usually go on 50% discounts several times a year.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/KalebPrime/status/1222365505459191809

Not only has Blizzard made a crappy remaster, they've made Warcraft 3 worse, retroactively.

Kith posted:

This is depressing, I'd log back in every year or so to try out crazy new maps and play a few rounds of old favorites. It's almost impressive how they hosed up so hard they managed to retroactively ruin a great game. :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's such a shame. I guess the execs that are left are still salty over dota.
:(

The biggest reason why is that the use of Non-Blizzard copyrighted content is now prohibited. I'm not kidding when I say that some of the most impressive feats of JASS were accomplished to build a better Goku - many of the maps that use Copyrighted Content broke ground on some really cool effects because they were labors of love trying to recreate things that either didn't exist or were nearly impossible.

Now that Reforged has launched properly and will be replacing the original instead of being in a nebulous state of "the original is its own thing and Reforged is different", all of that work is literally useless and the knowledge used to create them will likely disappear because the maps themselves are banworthy.

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 29, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Time for everyone to backpatch to the last classic version and hide in third party clients like ENTnet or someshit, because reforged is a trashfire

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I'm going to download this and come back in a week. It's hilarious to me that after 15 years of WoW they haven't figured out that on release day they might need to rent out a server farm or something to help with the load.

They know, they just don't wanna spend the money and also know they can get away with it

To be fair the game server probably can't be easily deployed in the cloud. But still.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

Also, I can't even start the game on my home computer. Try to authenticate using the mobile app, only keep getting "There was an error handling the request".

It wasn't because of internet babies. Its because this was cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

The biggest reason why is that the use of Non-Blizzard copyrighted content is now prohibited. I'm not kidding when I say that some of the most impressive feats of JASS were accomplished to build a better Goku - many of the maps that use Copyrighted Content broke ground on some really cool effects because they were labors of love trying to recreate things that either didn't exist or were nearly impossible.

Now that Reforged has launched properly and will be replacing the original instead of being in a nebulous state of "the original is its own thing and Reforged is different", all of that work is literally useless and the knowledge used to create them will likely disappear because the maps themselves are banworthy.

Well, yes. But the reason Non-blizzard copyrights are unavailable is that Blizzard wants control of the maps right down to distribution and hosting. Because they want as much claim to any financial reward for making a map possible(All of it). It's a part of why SCII didn't kick off a huge custom map scene like WCIII did.