Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Christmas 2020 is my 30 year anniversary of acquiring the game. I also got Metroid that year, and a bunch of Ninja Turtle stuff (sewer playset, like a dozen figures). I was a spoiled loving child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Prism posted:

Unlike DQ8 you can respec at any church for a token fee once you are a few hours in, so try them all.

For what it's worth, IMO the only real bad options are not giving Serena and Veronica wands and staves respectively.

Edit: by 'a few hours in' I mean it is where the demo ends.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Spears and Whips own early game, hard (harder monsters, underlevelled). Physical damage is also easier to support with buffs and debuffs. The bonuses in early wands are not essential or overkill. Twin Dragon Lash is WAY stronger than other single target options (just wrecked Tentacular with it).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wands only give you a piddling amount of magical might/mending, too, which will most likely not even affect the output of your spells with the way DQ handles that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I felt like with wands in particular the biggest benefit to them was being able to use a shield.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Reduced damage from hits on a shield is negligible (takes 4 def to reduce 1 damage) and you get 4% parry pretty quick in her tree.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Srice posted:

I felt like with wands in particular the biggest benefit to them was being able to use a shield.

MP regen is handy too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

derra posted:

Reduced damage from hits on a shield is negligible (takes 4 def to reduce 1 damage) and you get 4% parry pretty quick in her tree.

Elemental resistance?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The best monster is Platypunk, it reeks coolness.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Elemental resistance?

That'a the best reason to use shields and it doesn't become relevant until later.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Amppelix posted:

Wands only give you a piddling amount of magical might/mending, too, which will most likely not even affect the output of your spells with the way DQ handles that.

I prefer to use wands/staffs that give a buff or general bonus. Fantastick gives Snap Crackle Poof at 100% for a +3 which is a great way to make sure that Serena doesn't get debuffed right away. The Faerie King's Cane is also a good choice at +3 for 10% all damage reduction and 25hp restored per turn.

It's also another reason why I like equipping Hero and Eight with the Berserker Blade and then switching to their main weapon. For things like the Wheel of Harma, you can scum for the 10% Oomph and then switch weapons.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 13, 2020

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Spent approx. 12 hours designing and carving out a bunch of large underground farm plots for my villagers in Dragon Quest Builders 2, but because its so sprawling they get stuck on the surface and don't work any of the plots because the outermost ones are too far away to path to.

It's a fun game and more charming than Minecraft, but when I run headlong into the limitations of the engine it really smarts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's a huge shame, they're so close to nailing a city management game and with a couple more iterations they could even shoot for a dwarf fortress kind of game. However I don't think the developers are even trying to make that kind of game. It's frustrating once the main story is over.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's a huge shame, they're so close to nailing a city management game and with a couple more iterations they could even shoot for a dwarf fortress kind of game. However I don't think the developers are even trying to make that kind of game. It's frustrating once the main story is over.

It is. My other main gripe with the game is features that were implemented but could've been even better if they had gone just a liiittle bit further with them. For example the limitations of the Chisel. You can only make blocks slope upwards, you cannot make blocks slope "sideways" (think the Fierce Fountain object), and you can only use the half-block mode to make an upper half or lower half. It's not possible to make vertical half-blocks. Then there's the pipes you can lay down, which only support elbow joints that link to the top or bottom (no joining perpendicular pipes on the same plane), T-joints with the same limitation of not being able to connect 3 pipes on the same plane, etc. Then there's dyeing blocks and objects. There's a bunch of objects and blocks that aren't dyeable that would be really useful if they were, also a few more colors would've been good, like grey and orange. The game still has a lot going for it, but when I run up against the limitations it's really disappointing.

Edit: Also the limitation of not being able to build over bottomless oceans. Sure, I'm fine with it in story mode, but once the main story is completed that restriction should be lifted. The Isle of Awakening only takes up 1/9th of its available map space and it's frustrating I cannot expand the island beyond its original borders.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 13, 2020

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They are finally releasing the other Famicom Dragon Quest bosses as metallic monsters figurines.

Dragon Lord - https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MW36084.html
Shidou - https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MW36086.html or https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MW36085.html for the LE color
Zoma - https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MW36087.html
Pisaro, Evil Priest, and Estark (2 colors) have all been available for a while now, and remain so.

Square-Enix store doesn't take international orders, but Amazon.jp does and even has presale prices for the new figures (except the alternate Shidou color which is a SQEX store exclusive). Ebay remains a pricy alternative method to get these, as most sellers will gouge. Now is a good time to start your collection of useless but badass metal sculptures.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
DQ11 Question - I'm in Act 3 with No Exp from weaker monsters. I want to hit 99, where do I go to find someone tough enough to get exp with Electrolight?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

derra posted:

DQ11 Question - I'm in Act 3 with No Exp from weaker monsters. I want to hit 99, where do I go to find someone tough enough to get exp with Electrolight?

Best bet is the final trial. Just make sure to kill a monster first then activate Electrolight; as long as you kill a high level monster you get full XP from the fight.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Eh, thought about it and I already have the star, might as well turn it off as grinding in a specific way to avoid it defeats the purpose.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

yeah if all you want is the achievement there's no point in restricting yourself any longer.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's a war happening on my desktop

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I miss being able to put figures on my desktop. Those days ended right around the time I got a rambunctious cat.

Seriously though, that looks slick as heck.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 24, 2020

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

BabyRyoga posted:

These are really cool! I would've liked to have had some as a pre-teen when I was playing the first two DQs (and still played with toys).

It also reminds me of one of my favorite YT videos, which I will post (again):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFoaxURoV4
(sound on!)

e:

Hokuto posted:

rambunctious cat.
Indeed!

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 24, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BabyRyoga posted:

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Dragon Quest: Adorable War

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rolling out of the village in DQ12 and the first battle you get into

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I don't know how I missed this thread in the search!

I'm about 65 hours into DQ11 on Switch and (I think) just about finished with the second part. This is my first Dragon Quest game and I'm really enjoying it.

I super appreciate that nothing really seems to be missable. It's been a long time since I've really had this much momentum going into post-game content and I hear there's a lot to do so I'm pretty excited.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Postman posted:

I don't know how I missed this thread in the search!

I'm about 65 hours into DQ11 on Switch and (I think) just about finished with the second part. This is my first Dragon Quest game and I'm really enjoying it.

I super appreciate that nothing really seems to be missable. It's been a long time since I've really had this much momentum going into post-game content and I hear there's a lot to do so I'm pretty excited.

What level are you? I think my hero's like level 63 now. :shobon:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I think everyone is a couple levels shy of 50 at this point.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
After beating the game started an 8x Draconian quest, and only realized that the shop restriction means I can't buy pearls as well when I hit L'Academie. Any standout recipes to get pearls? Spam horseracing for mats and make whatever I can with those?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Finished with Dragon Quest Builders 2 story mode, now I'm just pissing about making rooms on the Isle to get more hearts to unlock the last couple of exploration islands.

Overall I enjoyed this game, it's fun and at it's best reminds me of rimworld or other management games but obviously much simpler and without the penalties for failure. If someone started making mods for the pc version that expanded on those parts of the gameplay I'd buy it again in a heart beat, unfortunately I played on the switch version which was a huge mistake.

Complaints are pretty simple, the game holds your hand waaaaaaay too much, especially on Skelcatraz. Sometimes the room building can be a bit buggy with regards to walls. Late game the combat because especially tedious, just lots of mashing, it would've been nice if you got access to like spells or something. Oh and also anytime text appears in the middle of the screen it takes way too loving long to actually scroll past.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just buried people in DQB2.

DQ is an odd franchise. All the charm and light hearted fun, but people loving die and there ain't no shying away from that. Some can get revived, but you're lugging their coffin halfway across the globe.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

DQ is an odd franchise. All the charm and light hearted fun, but people loving die and there ain't no shying away from that. Some can get revived, but you're lugging their coffin halfway across the globe.

I didn't bury anyone. I turned the throne room into a pile of bodies. King Big Britches can deal with the smell.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The burials added an unnecessary layer of tedium to a chapter that REALLY didn't need the help. I still haven't gotten to chapter 4 in DQB2 because chapter 3 burned me really hard and I'm not entirely sure it will get better.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

In B2 it's worse than usual because they are specifically for real deaths because apparently the Goddess isn't available. Other more spoilery things could also be a factor. But that seemed to be the implication when I played.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah chapter 'snow kingdom is a lovely place with lovely people' is probably the big low point of the game. The next chapter's better by far, though that's really only because of the contrast.

Muscling through and farting around post-game feels better though. Still realize that I'm bad at designing buildings though. Making things from scratch is just not in my skillset. (Yet, show me something already made and I'll improve it till it's gorgeous. It's weird.) Should try multiplayer sometime.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Any recommendations on a next DQ game to try out coming out of 11? I just have a few things to wrap up with the post-game and Switch content and I'm still hankering for more.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Postman posted:

Any recommendations on a next DQ game to try out coming out of 11? I just have a few things to wrap up with the post-game and Switch content and I'm still hankering for more.

DQ8 is probably the closest to 11, otherwise I'd say check out 4 or 5.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, if you're craving more DQ11, probably try 8. I recommend the 3DS version, it incorporates some QoL stuff that wasn't in the original PS2 release.

Just remember that you can't respec skill points in DQ8, so you need to be more careful about how you spend them. The game does tell you at what levels you get stuff though (at least in the 3DS version).

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

dudeness posted:

Complaints are pretty simple, the game holds your hand waaaaaaay too much, especially on Skelcatraz. Sometimes the room building can be a bit buggy with regards to walls. Late game the combat because especially tedious, just lots of mashing, it would've been nice if you got access to like spells or something. Oh and also anytime text appears in the middle of the screen it takes way too loving long to actually scroll past.

Yeah, if they make a Dragon Quest Builders 3, the combat could use an overhaul. At least add a block/dodge button, depending on if you have a shield equipped.

Also agreeing on the addition of usable magic outside of traps; maybe have staffs you equip with the spells on them. More weapon variety in general would be useful; in addition to swords and axe/club/hammers, they could add claws as the "fast but weak" option, spears for medium range, whips for wide-arcing attacks, and boomerangs for long range.

Since the game will probably use DQ3 as a base, I'm expecting the class/vocation system to play a part. Maybe you'll be able to assign yourself a secondary class on top of "Builder". Also, there might be a way to change NPC classes (with both "adventurer" and "villager" classes represented), so you can assign various NPCs to be farmers, merchants, soldiers, and such.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

The Postman posted:

8 on the 3ds is very good, and 7 is also on the 3ds. I know they cut down the slog a bit on 7 3ds but I don't know by how much as I haven't played it yet.
4 through 6 on the DS are all good.
1 through 3 are available on mobile, but those can be a bit much for some people. 1 is pure progression grind and 2 is brutal late in the game. 3 is where I believe the series hits its stride.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would recommend playing 4,5,8,9 and 3 before trying 7. I do like 7 but it's a very slow, huge game even by DQ standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

7 is the most Dragon Quest game. It maximizes the series' distinctive strengths and its weaknesses.