Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If it's being leaked that they don't have the votes, that's probably people starting to realize that they aren't going to wrangle the votes up.

Yep, it's great regardless of the outcome. Bolton testimony is good. The best medium term scenario in my view is narrow acquittal with 10 or so republicans voting for removal, which could fracture the party beyond repair. A successful removal vote leaves a small opportunity for the party to rally behind a competent fascist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oxsnard posted:

Yep, it's great regardless of the outcome. Bolton testimony is good. The best medium term scenario in my view is narrow acquittal with 10 or so republicans voting for removal, which could fracture the party beyond repair. A successful removal vote leaves a small opportunity for the party to rally behind a competent fascist

What people don't realize is if Trump is removed he can still run for election and I have zero doubt that he would. You would have a fracture as some of the party would nominate someone new and likely most of the GOP machine would rally around them. You would have Trump who would be wounded badly but he would still have a decent amount of rubes and racists. His rallies would be likely open hate going after both Democrats and Republicans but would not have any mainstream media attention anymore. His numbers would likely be around 12-20% in which he would not be able to win but enough to damage the GOP candidate and downticket.

And this assumes he wouldn't be immediately arrested coming out of office as well.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Djarum posted:

What people don't realize is if Trump is removed he can still run for election and I have zero doubt that he would. You would have a fracture as some of the party would nominate someone new and likely most of the GOP machine would rally around them. You would have Trump who would be wounded badly but he would still have a decent amount of rubes and racists. His rallies would be likely open hate going after both Democrats and Republicans but would not have any mainstream media attention anymore. His numbers would likely be around 12-20% in which he would not be able to win but enough to damage the GOP candidate and downticket.

And this assumes he wouldn't be immediately arrested coming out of office as well.

Nah if they approve the charges as written there's a majority only vote on whether he's barred from public office. They would all assuredly vote on that as well

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Harton posted:

What kinda “normal” is there to go back to?

These are some wild loving times.

Smoking some weed about it.

"Normal" as we knew it will never be again, I think.

I don't feel like the constant tension between people and parties is doing to fade anytime soon either. It's always stressful when talking to random people and not knowing where they stand-- and there's no real way to talk politics with anyone with any civil tone because everyone is so passionate and heavily opposed to the other side. I feel like the only way there's ever going to be bipartisanship in government and among civilians is if compromises are made, but conceding anything is impossible for anyone when a small concession is directly opposed to their values (or lack thereof).

And that surely won't come from any of the impeachment conflict either. If GOP gets their way they're only going to become more obnoxious, more smug, more hateful, and more convinced that treason is cool and good. If they don't, they'll only become more hateful and aggressive.

Society kind of just makes me sick tbh

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I’ve been slowly opting out of it myself. If nothing is real the why aren’t we all doing things we enjoy rather than working our lives away for corporations. I quit my job and just do odd jobs now like refinishing hardwood floors and poo poo. Way more satisfying but not nearly enough money.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Harton posted:

Yeah I’ve been slowly opting out of it myself. If nothing is real the why aren’t we all doing things we enjoy rather than working our lives away for corporations. I quit my job and just do odd jobs now like refinishing hardwood floors and poo poo. Way more satisfying but not nearly enough money.

Truthfully speaking I've greatly distanced myself from the news because I'm just so sick of seeing what the US is letting the GOP get away with and I'm sick of seeing Trump's ugly smug face every goddamn day. I'm only keeping up with it now out of the faintest glimmer of hope that things will change. Once the obvious result happens I'm probably hermit myself away again and someone can wake me when the election comes up and I can spark that glimmer again for student loan forgiveness.

I just kind of try to keep myself distracted with things I enjoy or at least keep my mind off everything else. I work for a nonprofit and I hate my underpaid af job, but it keeps me in my apartment.

Nothing is real, indeed, and logic makes no sense. Better to take the soma and try to find what happiness I can until it starts making sense again. I know that's not the best perspective to have and that probably angers more radical spirits here but I'm just loving exhausted, man. I don't have the energy for this poo poo without being utterly self destructive.

I just wanna feel happy again in what little ways I can, you know?

Depression talk aside, today was the last day of the GOP's appeal to falsehood, right? I wonder how the questions will go. If nothing else I hope someone embarrasses the tortoise on live TV.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Harton posted:

Money is stupid. I tell people I'm 'anticapitalist' and that 'money is gross.' I try to touch as little of it as possible. Give your labor away to people who need it, people who can't afford that labor at 'market prices.' Accept, graciously, what gifts are offered to you. Quit capitalism. Quit USD. Quit the 'exchange economy' altogether - and just give and receive.

That's my advice, anyhow.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I know it has been said before but this really says a lot about the republican party. I only look at those in my family that are voting republican with utter contempt. How does everyone insulate themselves from the anger of hearing trump speak in such a manner?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ManBoyChef posted:

I know it has been said before but this really says a lot about the republican party. I only look at those in my family that are voting republican with utter contempt. How does everyone insulate themselves from the anger of hearing trump speak in such a manner?

Most of us don't listen to Trump because theres nothing to be gained from doing so.

At this point the only value his worda have are what can be used to impeach or criminally charge him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I remember when MoveOn.org got started it was in the middle of the Clinton impeachment trial and the group's name was originally "Censure and Move On".

I wonder how far we are from the point where the GOP just throws up their hands and says "Okay so he did it, let's just ... I dunno fine him or something? And then we can all get on with our lives and pretend none of this ever happened"

(which is how that whole approach read to me back in the day and sounded totally venal even though I can completely understand in retrospect why they tried it, it was literally an attempt to please everybody, but it ended up sounding mealy-mouthed and like they wanted to just brush it under the rug while the GOP would settle for nothing short of removal)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My prediction is that there will be witnesses, but Trump will still be acquitted on a party-line vote (maybe Manchin defects, who knows)

So basically the Kavanaugh thing again

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Lol I remember when MoveOn.org got started it was in the middle of the Clinton impeachment trial and the group's name was originally "Censure and Move On".

I wonder how far we are from the point where the GOP just throws up their hands and says "Okay so he did it, let's just ... I dunno fine him or something? And then we can all get on with our lives and pretend none of this ever happened"

(which is how that whole approach read to me back in the day and sounded totally venal even though I can completely understand in retrospect why they tried it, it was literally an attempt to please everybody, but it ended up sounding mealy-mouthed and like they wanted to just brush it under the rug while the GOP would settle for nothing short of removal)

Because Trump will outright refuse anything but total vindication. ‘If you’re not winning you’re losing there is no compromise’ is something his sick gently caress father drilled into him his whole life and he’s not about to change now.
There is nothing worse in Trumps mind than losing. He literally psychologically cannot accept it.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

ManBoyChef posted:

The only family I have left outside of my 74 year old grandma who lives with me and is a hardcore anti-Trumpist is my deadbeat Trump supporting Uncle who has bled my Grandma dry of her savings. I've cut him out of my life along with lots of old mentors and friends. Anyone who still supports Trump at this point is lost and never coming back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oracle posted:

Because Trump will outright refuse anything but total vindication. ‘If you’re not winning you’re losing there is no compromise’ is something his sick gently caress father drilled into him his whole life and he’s not about to change now.
There is nothing worse in Trumps mind than losing. He literally psychologically cannot accept it.

Yeah but what I'm saying is "censure and move on" wasn't Clinton's idea.

They'd have to lock him in a tweet-proof faraday-cage closet to get it done but it would be the Senate GOP's tactic. e: ... And at that point surely they'd have made the calculation that they were better off getting rid of him anyway

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 29, 2020

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

My prediction is that there will be witnesses, but Trump will still be acquitted on a party-line vote (maybe Manchin defects, who knows)

So basically the Kavanaugh thing again

I mean, yeah. The ONLY way Trump is removed is if McConnell does the math and think he can hold the Senate with Pence vs. Trump.

Realistically the GOP choices are: Have Witnesses and get destroy for the next few years or No Witnesses and get destroyed for even longer(but only after FOIA/etc kick in). In either scenario Trump is likely acquired because the GOP are complete cowards and opportunists.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

McConnell isn't making the decision now, it's some combination of Romney, Collins, Gardner, Tillis, and Murkowski.

Senate Leadership's and the party's control over an individual senator can be very tenuous. They're usually the most ambitious, experienced, and connected politicians in their state. On top of that, primary them and you're usually giving up the seat as well. On top of that, elections can be extremely local and out of step with national politics.

Plus, the difference here between Trump and Kavanaugh is that voting No leaves Trump in office, while voting No on Kavanaugh risked losing a SCOTUS nomination. The sort of people who will hold a grudge about tarnishing Trump's legacy pe hurting his reelection chances probably aren't as important to Gardner as the sort of people who would hold a grudge over controlling the Supreme Court.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tibalt posted:

Plus, the difference here between Trump and Kavanaugh is that voting No leaves Trump in office, while voting No on Kavanaugh risked losing a SCOTUS nomination. The sort of people who will hold a grudge about tarnishing Trump's legacy pe hurting his reelection chances probably aren't as important to Gardner as the sort of people who would hold a grudge over controlling the Supreme Court.

I can’t imagine this was ever a serious consideration. The only ways they could have managed to lose the nomination were if they suddenly lost the senate mid-session (basically impossible) or if Trump steadfastly refuses to nominate anyone who wasn’t a rapist (admittedly slightly more likely, but the GOP would never consider the possibility).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Framboise posted:

"Normal" as we knew it will never be again, I think.

I think that you may be pleasantly surprised. I remember talk like this in '73 when Nixon was facing impeachment.

The citizenry as a whole are tired of this circus and crave normalcy. While there is no way of knowing yet how quickly governmental institutions can be rebuilt, people will respond to the first & succeeding signs of competency and function. Things will improve, but, as you note, the media narrative will be a constant irritation

Framboise posted:

I don't feel like the constant tension between people and parties is doing to fade anytime soon either. It's always stressful when talking to random people and not knowing where they stand-- and there's no real way to talk politics with anyone with any civil tone because everyone is so passionate and heavily opposed to the other side. I feel like the only way there's ever going to be bipartisanship in government and among civilians is if compromises are made, but conceding anything is impossible for anyone when a small concession is directly opposed to their values (or lack thereof).

With the current corporate media, this will be fostered & cultivated because of "both sides" tension=good storytelling (at least from the infotainment point of view). This is our biggest obstacle to a functioning representative democracy as it will continue to energize the gang of mendacious fucks that now make up the Republican Party, and they won't care about the damage they cause in their efforts to stay relevant. This can be countered somewhat by a growing progressive movement, as the citizenry begin to reap the benefits of increased educational funding, UHC, and UBI experiments in those regions of the country that are testing it.

I will continue to beat the gong, that the 1996 Telecommunications Act must be repealed, and the media trusts broken up, followed by the overturning of the Citizens United decision. Without this, the long-term recovery of our institutions, chiefly that of our government serving the people, will remain in a fragile state.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tibalt posted:

McConnell isn't making the decision now, it's some combination of Romney, Collins, Gardner, Tillis, and Murkowski.

Senate Leadership's and the party's control over an individual senator can be very tenuous. They're usually the most ambitious, experienced, and connected politicians in their state. On top of that, primary them and you're usually giving up the seat as well. On top of that, elections can be extremely local and out of step with national politics.

I think there was a report yesterday that Toomey and Portman were also possibly considering witnesses

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Stickman posted:

I can’t imagine this was ever a serious consideration. The only ways they could have managed to lose the nomination were if they suddenly lost the senate mid-session (basically impossible) or if Trump steadfastly refuses to nominate anyone who wasn’t a rapist (admittedly slightly more likely, but the GOP would never consider the possibility).
There wasn't a great chance of McConnell losing the majority, but it wasn't impossible either. And if Kavanaugh had imploded spectacularly, would YOU rubber stamp the next Trump nominee before the election?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Framboise posted:

Truthfully speaking I've greatly distanced myself from the news because I'm just so sick of seeing what the US is letting the GOP get away with and I'm sick of seeing Trump's ugly smug face every goddamn day. I'm only keeping up with it now out of the faintest glimmer of hope that things will change. Once the obvious result happens I'm probably hermit myself away again and someone can wake me when the election comes up and I can spark that glimmer again for student loan forgiveness.

I just kind of try to keep myself distracted with things I enjoy or at least keep my mind off everything else. I work for a nonprofit and I hate my underpaid af job, but it keeps me in my apartment.

Nothing is real, indeed, and logic makes no sense. Better to take the soma and try to find what happiness I can until it starts making sense again. I know that's not the best perspective to have and that probably angers more radical spirits here but I'm just loving exhausted, man. I don't have the energy for this poo poo without being utterly self destructive.

I just wanna feel happy again in what little ways I can, you know?

Depression talk aside, today was the last day of the GOP's appeal to falsehood, right? I wonder how the questions will go. If nothing else I hope someone embarrasses the tortoise on live TV.

Unplug, take some time off, recharge, and come back to fight another day. Burning yourself out does nobody any good, but neither does giving up.

Note that taking care of yourself so you can care for others is not giving up

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Submitted questions start again at 1 PM, right?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Tibalt posted:

There was no chance at them losing a SCOTUS nomination. Off the record reporting said that internally the GOP Senators wanted Trump to withdraw Kavanaugh once the rape stuff broke. Trump and the White House refused to do so. Many members who voted yes did so despite stating objections that it would be killing their chances of re-election. There were promises made for protecting them that likely will not pan out.

Trump used all of his political capital in the Senate to ram Kavanaugh through for reasons? Now that he is caught in a situation where having political capital would be helpful those that he burned aren't willing to put their neck out again. They may ultimately vote to not convict him but they are going to make him pay politically for it.

This kids is why politicians, especially Presidents, don't behave as Trump does. It is a textbook example of why you don't waste you political capital if you don't have to.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
What kind of madness should we be expecting out of these questions?

I know the Chief Justice will be reading them, but do we expect conspiracy theory questions from the GOP?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

PainterofCrap posted:

I think that you may be pleasantly surprised. I remember talk like this in '73 when Nixon was facing impeachment.

The citizenry as a whole are tired of this circus and crave normalcy. While there is no way of knowing yet how quickly governmental institutions can be rebuilt, people will respond to the first & succeeding signs of competency and function. Things will improve, but, as you note, the media narrative will be a constant irritation

With the current corporate media, this will be fostered & cultivated because of "both sides" tension=good storytelling (at least from the infotainment point of view). This is our biggest obstacle to a functioning representative democracy as it will continue to energize the gang of mendacious fucks that now make up the Republican Party, and they won't care about the damage they cause in their efforts to stay relevant. This can be countered somewhat by a growing progressive movement, as the citizenry begin to reap the benefits of increased educational funding, UHC, and UBI experiments in those regions of the country that are testing it.

I will continue to beat the gong, that the 1996 Telecommunications Act must be repealed, and the media trusts broken up, followed by the overturning of the Citizens United decision. Without this, the long-term recovery of our institutions, chiefly that of our government serving the people, will remain in a fragile state.

This is both comforting that the feelings I feel of everything sucking forever are normal and depressing that the best we can manage is going back to the racist capital-hungry status quo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

What kind of madness should we be expecting out of these questions?

I know the Chief Justice will be reading them, but do we expect conspiracy theory questions from the GOP?

Yes.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Does Roberts have to read every question? I mean, can he find that one (or more) are too outside the scope of the trial and just say, "Nope!"?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Does Roberts have to read every question? I mean, can he find that one (or more) are too outside the scope of the trial and just say, "Nope!"?

"Mr. Sekulow, tell me how my rear end tastes?"

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Uglycat posted:

Money is stupid. I tell people I'm 'anticapitalist' and that 'money is gross.' I try to touch as little of it as possible. Give your labor away to people who need it, people who can't afford that labor at 'market prices.' Accept, graciously, what gifts are offered to you. Quit capitalism. Quit USD. Quit the 'exchange economy' altogether - and just give and receive.

That's my advice, anyhow.

Sounds like something you hear at Burning Man.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've been wondering that as well, because I have no doubt that the Republicans are going to submit some super garbage tier leading and loaded questions that would without question not be permitted in any normal court.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222496715422433281

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222344928530968576

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222385653029261312

trumps attacking bolton and the white house has issued a threat to keep him from publishing the book.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/politics/donald-trump-john-bolton-white-house-book/index.html

yeah, they are loving scared now. so maybe we will get him as a witness plus even if they acquitte now the book is gonna be out.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

ReidRansom posted:

I've been wondering that as well, because I have no doubt that the Republicans are going to submit some super garbage tier leading and loaded questions that would without question not be permitted in any normal court.

I have a feeling we are going to get lots of questions about the conspiracy theory that Adam Schiff orchestrated this whole thing or that somehow he made the whistleblowers come forward. I really don't think that the GOP understands how whistleblowing is in this country. They are always asking where the second whistleblower went. We don't need them!!! We put whistleblowers in prison. There are two in prison right now! My god if the GOP got any worse I don't know what I would do.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Djarum posted:

There was no chance at them losing a SCOTUS nomination. Off the record reporting said that internally the GOP Senators wanted Trump to withdraw Kavanaugh once the rape stuff broke. Trump and the White House refused to do so. Many members who voted yes did so despite stating objections that it would be killing their chances of re-election. There were promises made for protecting them that likely will not pan out.

Trump used all of his political capital in the Senate to ram Kavanaugh through for reasons? Now that he is caught in a situation where having political capital would be helpful those that he burned aren't willing to put their neck out again. They may ultimately vote to not convict him but they are going to make him pay politically for it.

This kids is why politicians, especially Presidents, don't behave as Trump does. It is a textbook example of why you don't waste you political capital if you don't have to.

I’m paraphrasing another poster but this is exactly why he went bankrupt 4-6 times in the 90s. The real estate development industry in nyc is a small pool of people who all work together to share the risk and rewards of building skyscrapers and other multi million dollar projects. Trump got in through his father’s connections, then proceeded to backstab and screw over everyone he could in order to ‘win’ real estate. This worked for a few years, but eventually no one wanted to work with him because he couldn’t think more than one selfish move ahead.

Here once again we saw trump burning all his capital to ram a rapist through the confirmation process, and shockingly no one wants to stick their neck out for the next doomed project where he will predictably screw over everyone he can if it means furthering his selfish goals.

It’s really just a matter of time until enough GOPers realize they can protect themselves by torching trump first. I can’t wait to see it, his betrayal meltdown before destroying the earth with nukes will be the stuff of legend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1222549532552110080

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1222564900972744704

seems like the circus might begin.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

haha oh please this would be the ACME of entertainment for my day!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1222566504744529926

no one really knows what the gently caress this means, a "formal threat" means absolutely nothing

but lol at trying to put the cat back in the bag now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1222566504744529926

no one really knows what the gently caress this means, a "formal threat" means absolutely nothing

but lol at trying to put the cat back in the bag now

In this case it means that literally every one will want to see what is in there

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

DandyLion posted:

haha oh please this would be the ACME of entertainment for my day!

oh good more damaging stuff to blindside trump appeasers with

GOP must end their policy of appeasement of the executive or suffer more of his shortsighted ignorant ineptitude. I hope they start to realize the price they're committing to paying, and to see what little threat Trump actually posses to them for crossing him.

But they won't. We'll get just enough GOP to demand witnesses that this becomes even more of a circus, and from the looks of things there's going to be a daily drop of more damaging stuff to blindside trump appeasers with

I gotta say, I kinda like the math on this
expect dramatic displays of cognitive dissonance

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah seems like an own goal trying so hard to silence Bolton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In this case it means that literally every one will want to see what is in there

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1222570022037590016?s=21