Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

pospysyl posted:

Level 99 literally just reprinted Argent this month, but I wouldn't expect copies to have reached FLGS by now. Kemet's more likely in stores and has a bunch of spell-like abilities in a cool fantasy Egyptian setting.

Isn't Kemet 2.0 coming out though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jarvisi posted:

It's more of a 1.5 edition. But with it coming, stores may be trying to clear old stock.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

It's Kemet : Not White Power Edition.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

It's an actual 2.0 though, isn't it?

They put out a free revised rulebook which was 1.5, but they're limited by components with how much they can actually change.

The 2nd edition proper "Kemet: Blood and Sand" is on kickstarter this year because of course it is.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

CaptainApathyUK posted:

It's an actual 2.0 though, isn't it?

They put out a free revised rulebook which was 1.5, but they're limited by components with how much they can actually change.

The 2nd edition proper "Kemet: Blood and Sand" is on kickstarter this year because of course it is.

Yeah, they released 1.5 rules on bgg, but the 2.0 is basically 'kemet 1.5+, without having to be constrained to the original components'.

They improved it as much as they could with the existing component limitation in 1.5, but have more changes that they'll implement in 2.0. They haven't really said what though, aside from BIGGER MINIS.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, SO! I've just received Marvel Champions in the mail, and I'm currently working to sleeve it all. However, uh, how on earth should I be organising all this? The books don't seem to give any recommendation regarding this, so I'd appreciate any advice and/or photos. :shobon: I also notice that dividers seem to be required - I guess I'll have to cut up some card for that...

I have dividers for each hero, each aspect, each villain, each encounter set and then the Standard and Expert villain cards. If I have a particular deck I'm fond of at a time, I'll just put that back in under the hero divider as whole but for the most part I separate everything and keep it this way. It makes it very easy to just grab a hero, grab a particular aspect and build a deck.

I found these: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/190552/marvel-champions-lcg-horizontal-dividers-lee-subsc on BGG and printed them on some thicker stock paper. They've worked great so far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fellis posted:

take a shot every time one of your train rusts

take a shot every time a company withholds and you hold at least 30%

take a shot if another player chips up into a 500 and has at least 2 more than you

I'm still sober after 6 hours so I'd like to add:

Take a shot every time someone says they're going to pay out and then as you're collecting your chips they say "wait wait wait actually I need this money gently caress you"

Take a shot every time someone is like "I'm not going to bother upgrading this station, someone else will do it" and nobody else does it.

Take a shot every time someone buys a share from you and dumps it the same SR causing your value to plummet because another player opened a company late in the stock round.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

silvergoose posted:

My kid thinks whiskey smells yucky :smith:

try some floral gin

al-azad posted:

I'm still sober after 6 hours so I'd like to add:

Take a shot every time someone says they're going to pay out and then as you're collecting your chips they say "wait wait wait actually I need this money gently caress you"

Take a shot every time someone is like "I'm not going to bother upgrading this station, someone else will do it" and nobody else does it.

Take a shot every time someone buys a share from you and dumps it the same SR causing your value to plummet because another player opened a company late in the stock round.

These are good ones!

Finish your drink whenever someone does an action that merely inconveniences the leader but devastates the person in last

Finish your drink if you are mathematically unable to win but "we want to play it out"

Finish your drink if a math error while putting it on paper changes the winner

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, SO! I've just received Marvel Champions in the mail, and I'm currently working to sleeve it all. However, uh, how on earth should I be organising all this? The books don't seem to give any recommendation regarding this, so I'd appreciate any advice and/or photos. :shobon: I also notice that dividers seem to be required - I guess I'll have to cut up some card for that...

Get some toploaders, and put the hero card in them. That is your divider.

The only 'troublesome' cards to organize are the spare villain packets like MODOK and the extra hero cards. I use reusable tape from Amazon and it works great to keep those together.

Finally, these little containers fit snuggly into the wells at the end of the insert.

Another pro-tip is to use a generic token to show a card is exhausted instead of tipping them on their side. It saves a lot of table room and keeps the play area much cleaner, especially if you are playing an upgrade/ally heavy deck.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Monopoly Talisman???

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

"Room to spare" is not a description traditionally associated with Argent.

there's rooms, there's spare information about them, don't really see the problem

Impermanent posted:

argent is my favorite euro i never play

:hmmyes: Someone should make a solo/automata for Argent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:argh:
This is a shameful game. Not because its a long version of Monopoly, but because it is clearly a half assed rip-off of "Ultimate Monopoly" created by a fan on BGG. The title on the box is also a lie, as Ultimate monopoly clearly takes longer:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1106327/ultimate-monopoly

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Deathlove posted:

:hmmyes: Someone should make a solo/automata for Argent.

I was surprised recently to find out the dev of Spirit Island did this.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
That looks cursed and terrible yet I want to play...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been trying the new Spirit Island: Jagged Earth in TTS and Starlight Seeks Its Form breaks my brain.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been trying the new Spirit Island: Jagged Earth in TTS and Starlight Seeks Its Form breaks my brain.

It's more forgiving than it looks IMO. It's strong enough that you're probably going to bumblefuck your way into something playable regardless of what you do.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

Get some toploaders, and put the hero card in them. That is your divider.

The only 'troublesome' cards to organize are the spare villain packets like MODOK and the extra hero cards. I use reusable tape from Amazon and it works great to keep those together.

Finally, these little containers fit snuggly into the wells at the end of the insert.

Another pro-tip is to use a generic token to show a card is exhausted instead of tipping them on their side. It saves a lot of table room and keeps the play area much cleaner, especially if you are playing an upgrade/ally heavy deck.

toploader as a divider is such a good idea. ty

Also I forgot who said it, but big props to whoever pointed out that Barnes and Noble have the Champions expacs in stock.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rutibex posted:

:argh:
This is a shameful game. Not because its a long version of Monopoly, but because it is clearly a half assed rip-off of "Ultimate Monopoly" created by a fan on BGG. The title on the box is also a lie, as Ultimate monopoly clearly takes longer:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1106327/ultimate-monopoly

Monopoly, ripping off a game by an independent creator for profit?

Surely not(!)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I read the description and this is actually pretty funny - it's explicitly lambasting all the lovely house rules people don't recognize as lovely house rules:

"This is the longest version of the Monopoly game. A few different features in game play help make the game last longer such as No auctions allowed, and players get cash for landing on free parking. Run out of money? Just rip the bills in half along the dotted line."

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Monopoly is about the suffering that people experience under capitalism, so any mechanics to extend the game are inherently thematic and further the educational intent of the game. Just don’t buy a copy, it’s much better to steal one from big box retailer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This one's an Amazon exclusive, so you can't really pull off a Monopoly Heist for it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

This one's an Amazon exclusive, so you can't really pull off a Monopoly Heist for it.

not with that attitude you can't

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Deathlove posted:

not with that attitude you can't

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To be more precise, Monopoly is Georgian propaganda. Georgism is an economic ideology that says the free market is good, but rent is the devil. The original version of Georgism is mainly concerned with land rents, and wants to create a world with no taxes but for massive 100% land taxes. More modern versions of Georgism have expanded to cover other rents.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/LederGames/status/1222639087938613251

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I mean, sometimes you need a beer or two while you're chatting with friends as your company's cash and share value beats all but one other player (that player is not you)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Playing Maracaibo for the first time with friends who are also new to the game. Any tips on pratfalls to avoid in a first teach and play?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll be pissed if those start going out before I get my kickstarter copy.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I'll be pissed if those start going out before I get my kickstarter copy.

All Leder games fulfillment goes through the same process so anything pre-ordered here is going to be tacked onto the end of the Kickstarter.

So rest easy knowing that you won't have to spew your impotent rage into an uncaring universe.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, it's definitely possible that the first of those preorders are sent out while the last of the kickstarter shipments are still in progress.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's North America only is because the games for everywhere else got caught up in Lunar New Year delays and won't be out for a while.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Memnaelar posted:

Playing Maracaibo for the first time with friends who are also new to the game. Any tips on pratfalls to avoid in a first teach and play?

You don't skip occupied spaces sailing in the Caribbean, but you do on the explore track.

Clear all delivery cubes from the board at the end of the round. You don't need to make a delivery to use other actions at the destination.

Combat tiles can penalize the country in first or boost the country in third, but only if they're alone in first or third.

You can split your total combat score to get multiple benefits.

Maxing out the VP income track pays 20 points per remaining round in advance and resets it.

Committing a card to a project slot will free a space to draw a new card, but commits you to building that card.

Assistant spaces pay out 2 VP if you don't use them in a round, whether by skipping them when moving, landing on them and not taking the action, or having the round ended before you can reach them.

Once you get a synergy token you keep it. It activates all bonuses that require it, both after you get the token and already built in your tableau.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fellis posted:

try some floral gin

These are good ones!

Finish your drink whenever someone does an action that merely inconveniences the leader but devastates the person in last

Finish your drink if you are mathematically unable to win but "we want to play it out"

Finish your drink if a math error while putting it on paper changes the winner

Two hours later...

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Late but thanks all for the talk on handling having kids at a game night. I'm planning on just going to his place infrequently now since he clearly likes spending time with his daughter, so it'll be good if he's not trying to both have a game night and also spend time with his kid.

SUSD's review on Marvel Champions pushed me over the edge to get it, because all the reasons they said they like the Arkham Horror LCG more are precisely the reasons I'm exhausted with it. I really want some crunchy boardgame potato chips that I can pop out of a bag rather than chewing through some tough sausages all the time. It's easier to convince people who haven't played an LCG to eat a bag of superhero Pringles rather than an Eldritch meat platter anyway.

Cardhaus has the two released hero expansions in stock now, but no copies of the Green Goblin, for anyone interested.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Codeacious posted:

Late but thanks all for the talk on handling having kids at a game night. I'm planning on just going to his place infrequently now since he clearly likes spending time with his daughter, so it'll be good if he's not trying to both have a game night and also spend time with his kid.

SUSD's review on Marvel Champions pushed me over the edge to get it, because all the reasons they said they like the Arkham Horror LCG more are precisely the reasons I'm exhausted with it. I really want some crunchy boardgame potato chips that I can pop out of a bag rather than chewing through some tough sausages all the time. It's easier to convince people who haven't played an LCG to eat a bag of superhero Pringles rather than an Eldritch meat platter anyway.

Cardhaus has the two released hero expansions in stock now, but no copies of the Green Goblin, for anyone interested.

I've found that SUSD's reviews have gotten very good at telling me whether I'd like a game based inversely on whether they dislike it and vice versa. Their War of Whispers review convinced me that I'd probably find it dull, since they suggested they liked it for the various ways it blunts player conflict and avoids penalizing you too harshly.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

pospysyl posted:

I've found that SUSD's reviews have gotten very good at telling me whether I'd like a game based inversely on whether they dislike it and vice versa. Their War of Whispers review convinced me that I'd probably find it dull, since they suggested they liked it for the various ways it blunts player conflict and avoids penalizing you too harshly.

I've found that just avoiding the aspect of like/dislike in their reviews and focusing on the actual reasoning and explanations has made me able to discern pretty well if I'll like a game they review or not. They're good at actually explaining why and where their opinions come from.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I feel like SUSD's editorial voice lost a lot when Paul left. Quinns is huge into any game where he can be the center of attention and Matt pulls the 'board game outsider' card way too often for someone who's been reviewing them for at least 6 years.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah paul was the guy on there with tastes in anyway similar to this thread, broadly speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They said to second guess Container but instabuy blood on the clock tower so...

It’s still entertaining to watch their reviews but nothing to seriously ponder over.