Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I decided to go "hunt" the local woods with my camera again. I figure I'm getting probably 3x closer to these deer than truly wild ones, but still pretty fun. Squirrels on the other hand never stop moving. Managed to play the wind and sneak up on some bedded deer, and wandered into a few more.

Wildlife by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I really wish Canon would hurry up and come out with a 7D3 or a sports/wildlife focused EOS R model of some variety.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's a nice buck, you got a lot of great wildlife for one walk. Most hunters wish they could see that much in a full week of hunting.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Verman posted:

That's a nice buck, you got a lot of great wildlife for one walk. Most hunters wish they could see that much in a full week of hunting.

Trust me, I know. When I have a gun in my hand instead of a camera things are much different. These photos (and most I've posted lately) are from a suburban nature preserve that's kind of its own little oasis and fauna thrives there, the deer also give zero shits about humans outside of like 10 yards. The deer density is like 1 per 15 acres (~250 acre preserve) and there are squirrels every 5 feet.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
white girl munchin

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Long time since posting here, I still suck tho. Not wildlife:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kind of crazy that I have so many polar bear shots and haven't really processed any of them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DSCF0977 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF0987 by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1035 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This bugger scouts my house every evening just around dusk, and I find his prints coming up my driveway frequently, but no lost chickens yet. He was heading home for the day when I saw him this morning, looked like a mole in his mouth.

Wide Fox by B. B., on Flickr

Portrait Fox by B. B., on Flickr

Landscape Fox by B. B., on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Taken in Valley of Fire state park Nevada.

Bighorn Sheep by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Mountain Goats 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

-CHA posted:

Some weird artifacts on this until I clicked thru to Flickr. Beautiful.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

This bugger scouts my house every evening just around dusk, and I find his prints coming up my driveway frequently, but no lost chickens yet. He was heading home for the day when I saw him this morning, looked like a mole in his mouth.

Wide Fox by B. B., on Flickr

Portrait Fox by B. B., on Flickr

Landscape Fox by B. B., on Flickr

These are great. I wish I saw foxes around here. They're definitely around (based on poop) but I think the coyotes are making them a lot more wary.
Too bad about that one grass stalk across its tail!

-CHA posted:

Love these.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Some from Jasper right before Christmas - these ones were the second-raters, spending the day bashing each other's heads while the lead ram hung out with the ladies

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
Some bison from my winter Yellowstone trip. I've only been there in the summer and didn't enjoy it a ton but january was incredible.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Got some rare dense fog, wanted to shoot some trees, saw some fuzzy stuff instead.

coyote taking a nap by Seth Graham, on Flickr

Hawk in the fog by Seth Graham, on Flickr

Coyote must be comfortable as gently caress with humans to settle down and nap near me. I'd seen the tracks going all over the place, and I stopped in a spot to try and set up a shot of some trees and caught it out the corner of my eye. We eyed each other for a bit, it decided I wasn't a problem and curled up for a nap.

Unfortunately the fog really messed with getting a sharp photo.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

runaway pancake posted:

Some bison from my winter Yellowstone trip. I've only been there in the summer and didn't enjoy it a ton but january was incredible.

I haven't been to Yellowstone in ~20 years, how's the bison population there? Are they easily spotted in the park and abundant or was this just good timing for you?

Some Spider Monkeys in Yaxha-Nakum-Naranjo National Park in northern Guatemala
Spider Monkey by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

neckbeard posted:

I haven't been to Yellowstone in ~20 years, how's the bison population there? Are they easily spotted in the park and abundant or was this just good timing for you?

Big enough that they chill alongside the road all over the park, cause massive traffic jams, and trample a couple idiots every year.

They're omnipresent in Lamar Valley, only variable is whether they're near the road or not.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm in Yellowstone at the moment. First time in the winter but it's a mild spell so I'm not getting my bus off...

Had an amazing wolf pack sighting last week.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Tikal
White-nosed Coati by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yaxha
Howler Monkey by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cool beans. I see you were using a 150-600. How was that in the rainforest? Also, how did you pack that for international travel?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Cool beans. I see you were using a 150-600. How was that in the rainforest? Also, how did you pack that for international travel?

I have the original 150-600, not the G2, so there was a lot of high ISO and running around for better light (the second howler pic in particular). I have a LowePro ProTactic 450 AW It fits well in plane overhead storage and I toss my tripod in my checked luggage while flying (didn't have it when I was in northern Guatemala though)

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

neckbeard posted:

Population is fairly high. They are pretty abundant anytime of the year in the valleys. Everytime I've been to the park they've been on the road causing traffic jams, as others have said.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to link this in here and a couple other related threads, really cool image library available. I'm making a bunch of prints.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pt Reyes bipedal deers fs-6646 on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Spent a few hours today watching some more orcas. Took a bunch of mostly out of focus and uninteresting photos. Got one nice shot of some spyhopping though.

Bonus muddy snapshot that more accurately portrays what the whale watching experience is like:

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
If you like (small and brown) lizards, Aruba has you covered.

DSCF1085
DSCF1373
DSCF1382

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice shots! although you seem to have a different definition of small and brown to me ;)

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
:). The blue whiptails are fairly common, and there are iguanas around if you look ( not usually so green though). The _vast_ majority are small, brown, and everywhere though.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I am a budding lepidopterist and decided to start chronicling the creatures I encounter. There aren't really any other places to post bugs, so hi thread!

I found an unexpected Clouded Sulfur butterfly in my kitchen.

And this brown-eyed beauty is a Morrison's Sallow moth.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
We have a macro thread you are free to post in, most posts there are bug close ups.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3269817

eg

Small Copper by Aves Lux, on Flickr

It's a bit dead at the moment because for a lot of us there are no bugs about yet.

Nice butterflies, one of the hardest subjects to photograph in my opinion.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 4, 2020

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is flickr the best way to share photos here? The only way I really share photos currently is on Instagram, and for those I edit them to be 1x1 ratio, 1080x1080, sRGB to better match IG's settings. I'd feel a little tacky just linking to IG posts here.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Flickr is popular, but I just upload images to imgur.com and post that.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is flickr the best way to share photos here? The only way I really share photos currently is on Instagram, and for those I edit them to be 1x1 ratio, 1080x1080, sRGB to better match IG's settings. I'd feel a little tacky just linking to IG posts here.

Flickr generates a BBCode link you can just paste directly in and you can choose what preview resolution to inflict on peoples monitors.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Gotcha. Are yall switching stuff over to sRBG before uploading? I wouldn't mind sharing stuff here without the 1x1 crop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Always export sRGB for the web. The fancy colorspaces are only for editing or printing.

I would use imgur but their gallery system is garbage. It's good for nothing but a quick upload that you will never need to link to again.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005
A small squad of deer moved into my tiny postage stamp of a driveway and backyard this week.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I may crosspost this in the Mirrorless thread, but I thought I would start here.

I'm a Fuji boi, and I'm considering adding the 100-400 to my arsenal for wildlife (mostly birbs). However, my X-H1 with my 50-140 can already be a little heavy to just walk around with, so I know the bigger lens will be like carrying a brick. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served to by a Panasonic 100-400 and a GH5 or something instead. Does anyone ITT have experience shooting wildlife with this lens. Is it light enough to be work a little extra expense? The reviews and sample images of that lens are plenty sharp, so that doesn't bother me. I'm more wondering about the "experience" of shooting with it.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

XBenedict posted:

I may crosspost this in the Mirrorless thread, but I thought I would start here.

I'm a Fuji boi, and I'm considering adding the 100-400 to my arsenal for wildlife (mostly birbs). However, my X-H1 with my 50-140 can already be a little heavy to just walk around with, so I know the bigger lens will be like carrying a brick. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served to by a Panasonic 100-400 and a GH5 or something instead. Does anyone ITT have experience shooting wildlife with this lens. Is it light enough to be work a little extra expense? The reviews and sample images of that lens are plenty sharp, so that doesn't bother me. I'm more wondering about the "experience" of shooting with it.

I have used the 100-400 mm on my X-T1 for a while and love it. I usually will put on the 1.4x extender unless the light level is low. Here are some SOOCs examples: https://photos.app.goo.gl/s59jHU1Eu39SkZUN7
I will post a few to the thread once I get to a computer.

As for the weight, I don't really see the weight as a factor. I have gone on long hikes with it. Typically holding it in my hand and sometimes on a cross body sling.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

toggle posted:

Soldier crab doing it's thing.

starship troopers reboot lookin good

This is dope but I also really love that watermark, which is probably the first time I’ve said that. Much better than the ones that take up a quarter of the bottom.

e: Oh poo poo this page is great too, love the goats, bisons, and foxes. :swoon:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lighting was not ideal but it's impossible not to have fun shooting these guys.