Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Eregos posted:

Regarding witnesses: Do not understand why so many here were thinking it would be a good idea to have a trial because Republicans would be pressured into calling witnesses. The only reason Bolton is even being considered is because his smoking gun transcript created so much pressure. No other witnesses will be called. So there's now 2 possibilities: 1. Republicans win the vote, blocking all witnesses including Bolton. 2. Bolton is called to testify, then Trump blocks his testimony through the courts, then Republicans move straight on to acquittal. It's wonderful news we got the transcript, but Bolton's book was coming out whether or not there was a trial.

The reason being is Bolton puts them in an ugly position. He is a first hand witness who has zero credibility problems and receipts to back up his claims. He will also likely name more names which will make even more pressure on the Senators to call those witnesses and Trump himself looking even more guilty along with the rest of the administration.

Number 1 isn't going to happen now. Number 2 also isn't going to happen now. If Trump attempts to block Bolton it will cause the impeachment to last longer as they have zero cover now to move immediately to acquittal. If Roberts does not make a immediate ruling it would likely get fast tracked through the courts in which Trump would still lose and you have that entire time more potential bombshells going off. Not only that but it is pretty much Trump admitting guilt and you would have the news media running with that story for the entire time.

The reason why McConnell and the GOP wanted this to go as quickly as possible was because of the potential of this. Now McConnell has lost control of his caucus which means even acquittal is not a absolute slam dunk now, although still highly likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Djarum posted:

The reason being is Bolton puts them in an ugly position. He is a first hand witness who has zero credibility problems and receipts to back up his claims. He will also likely name more names which will make even more pressure on the Senators to call those witnesses and Trump himself looking even more guilty along with the rest of the administration.

Number 1 isn't going to happen now. Number 2 also isn't going to happen now. If Trump attempts to block Bolton it will cause the impeachment to last longer as they have zero cover now to move immediately to acquittal. If Roberts does not make a immediate ruling it would likely get fast tracked through the courts in which Trump would still lose and you have that entire time more potential bombshells going off. Not only that but it is pretty much Trump admitting guilt and you would have the news media running with that story for the entire time.

The reason why McConnell and the GOP wanted this to go as quickly as possible was because of the potential of this. Now McConnell has lost control of his caucus which means even acquittal is not a absolute slam dunk now, although still highly likely.

That's way too optimistic overall, but the only part I can 100% disagree with is the idea that acquittal isn't a slam dunk. It requires a 2/3 majority, and their terror of Trump and fear of the base does guarantee acquittal. Even Democrats getting 50 or 51 votes to convict is extremely unlikely even if Bolton testifies and it's maximally damning. McConnell knows there's absolutely no way he can not have enough votes to acquit, the only thing that will hold him back from rushing to acquittal is fear of losing Colorado, Arizona, Maine etc.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

The 2.5% number can't be fully right because that would put it on scale with The Literal Spanish Flu. It's being inflated by the fact that it looks like a normal flu or cold right up until it doesn't, meaning the cases being treated are all the most serious samples.

If millions get it it's going to be worse, because you can add the 5% in critical condition to it that will die when their numbers vastly overwhelm the number of ICU with ventilators.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Eregos posted:

That's way too optimistic overall, but the only part I can 100% disagree with is the idea that acquittal isn't a slam dunk. It requires a 2/3 majority, and their terror of Trump and fear of the base does guarantee acquittal. Even Democrats getting 50 or 51 votes to convict is extremely unlikely even if Bolton testifies and it's maximally damning. McConnell knows there's absolutely no way he can not have enough votes to acquit, the only thing that will hold him back from rushing to acquittal is fear of losing Colorado, Arizona, Maine etc.

If Bolton testifies and it is maximally damning it will bring pressure to have those named to testify. For example Pompeo, Mulvaney, Barr, Pence along with records. Right now things are out of McConnell's hands, you have GOP Senators that are looking out for their own self interest now. As things go on things will look worse and worse so that number will grow.

And remember this is if President Crimes sits in a box like veal for the next several weeks. He is going to lash out and do something incredibly stupid at a certain point.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
In case they vote for witnesses you gotta wonder, does Bolton have a brother in Sicily that they could fly in to sit on the testimony

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The American health care system is a hollow sham and if there was a real disease outbreak here we wouldn’t have to worry about hospitals being filled because we would be too preoccupied about morgues being filled.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

oxsnard posted:

I can't decide if I hate this or not

https://twitter.com/Politidope/status/1222292015565746178?s=20

We need to learn how to do attack ads like Republicans though

Wow, This is the best attack ad I've ever seen.

Keep it coming Lincoln Project.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ither posted:

I think the best ad I've ever seen was the one where the guys entire family campaigned against him. That one is pretty good though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-m83vYr-Y

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

1. Can the chuds even make a new state and 2. What can the state do to gently caress liberty. I know it’s in VA.

TECHNICALLY yes they can. The counties have to circulate a petition which then goes to both state governments of W. VA and VA. Then they vote on them. Then it has to go to the Federal Congress iirc. So there is a snowball's chance in hell that any of that will ever come to pass.

If a NEW state is to be created it then needs to be ratified as an entirely new state so that will require more votes.

I for one am enjoying all the chud tears as a native Virginian who has worked so drat hard to get this done. This weekend I am phone banking for Mckayla Wilkes and yall should join me!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Y'all know one R will flip and witnessed will be blocked.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Covok posted:

The more blatantly obstructionist Republicans are, the better the chances of flipping the Senate are.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ither posted:

I could do without the John McCain and Barry loving Goldwater blowjobs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

friendbot2000 posted:

TECHNICALLY yes they can. The counties have to circulate a petition which then goes to both state governments of W. VA and VA. Then they vote on them. Then it has to go to the Federal Congress iirc. So there is a snowball's chance in hell that any of that will ever come to pass.

If a NEW state is to be created it then needs to be ratified as an entirely new state so that will require more votes.

I for one am enjoying all the chud tears as a native Virginian who has worked so drat hard to get this done. This weekend I am phone banking for Mckayla Wilkes and yall should join me!
Nazis in Washington State and Oregon have been wanting to make a new state out of Eastern WA and OR for years, but it’s not happening

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/29/trump-black-voters-cash-giveaways-108072

Trump seeks to improve his standing with black people by....*checks notes* a sweepstakes bribery plan. This....this has to be illegal right?

The gist of the article is that a charity org is handing out cash to black voters at Trump rallies. This could violate their tax status though so loving LOL

Edit: HOLY poo poo this is the same group that got canceled from a HBCU for their event on MLK day. They tried to honor Kushner and everyone went...nah

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 29, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I'm fairly confident there's at least five republicans for witnesses at the moment. It's probably higher than that. The big question is if the republicans are going to call in a Biden to go with Bolton. They definitely have that vote for that as well and might even pull in a few democrats under the idea of "it's only fair to let them have it".

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nazis in Washington State and Oregon have been wanting to make a new state out of Eastern WA and OR for years, but it’s not happening

There's one state where this can happen with just a legislative vote and the new states would be automatically admitted to the union: Texas. But splitting up Texas would likely be a net democrat gain so it's not something the republicans want to do.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 29, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel there will be a vote in favor of witnesses because that gives republicans more time to throw together a coherent defense (“what does the National Security Adviser know anyway?!”), but denying witnesses at this point would be catastrophic PR for them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I could do without the John McCain and Barry loving Goldwater blowjobs
If the people who made that commercial believe what they're selling, then yeah, they're loving hopeless. But if they're banking on Arizona voters believing it, they are both extremely right and extremely cool.

Edit: I see that this group definitely believes it. Still, it's honestly the same ad I'd cynically run in Arizona.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 29, 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/amandalitman/status/1222333176749744133

I could not be prouder to have busted my rear end to help get this woman elected to the statehouse.

What's more is that Mark Herring our AG has promised that he will fight to make sure the ERA is ratified so we got that going for us which is nice.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would be one of the poorest states in the country, there is pretty much zero economic activity in eastern oregon and only minimal in eastern washington outside the palouse. And there's no way washington state would give up the palouse

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I feel like the only real “win” the GOP can get is if a few Dem Senators defect while no GOP Senators do. Anything else worst case things keep going as they are, which I won’t say is good but doesn’t give them extra momentum.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222496715422433281

Oh boy, Donny is up to his usual tricks!

I really wonder if Donny can't remember his name so he is legit asking who would do this

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 29, 2020

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

"Sir..."

I'm surprised that Bolton didn't have tears in his eyes in this story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This never gets less disgusting or stupid. I thought I’d be inured to it by now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Good news guys in his mind we survived World War 3,4 and 5.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Zapf Dingbat posted:

"Sir..."

I'm surprised that Bolton didn't have tears in his eyes in this story.

But was it Bolton?! I don't think he remembers lol

WHO WOULD DO THIS?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

friendbot2000 posted:

I really wonder if Donny can't remember his name so he is legit asking who would do this

I think I'd blame the idiot who hired him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh my god yes

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1222002976165892096?s=21

quote:

Rep. Douglas A. Collins confirmed Wednesday that he will challenge Sen. Kelly Loeffler in Georgia, a move that appears likely to trigger an intraparty Republican brawl between a top defender of President Trump and a business executive who was appointed to the post by Republican Gov. Brian Kemp.
“We’re in for the Georgia Senate race down here,” Collins said during an appearance on Fox News from Atlanta. He said a more formal announcement would come later.

Loeffler is the shitzillionaire crypto fund person who bought her position from governor brian kemp, bypassing gop favorite Collins. The thought was loeffler would be a more moderate force in the general election and she’d spend a bunch of her own money. Loeffler is not anti abortion, for example.

But Collins is going to force a primary and drag her through the mud. She’ll be able to outspend him (unless McConnell gets heavily involved) but no one will look good coming from this.

It’s best case scenario for hurting the gop in Georgia

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 29, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh my god yes

Loeffler is the shitzillionaire crypto fund person who bought her position from governor brian kemp, bypassing gop favorite Collins. The thought was loeffler would be a more moderate force in the general election and she’d spend a bunch of her own money. Loeffler is not anti abortion, for example.

But Collins is going to force a primary and dig her through the mud. She’ll be able to outspend him (unless McConnell gets heavily involved) but no one will look good coming from this.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1222508948856672256

:yeshaha:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

friendbot2000 posted:

He did it guys. Trump made an actually funny tweet

If this ends with Neo-Cons and America First fascists eating each other, who are we to stand in the way of destiny? :shrug:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Trump only hires the best people. That’s why they are get fired and turn on him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This doesn’t make any sense though because he can’t outspend her and he wouldn’t have done this unless he had substantial outside support.

Or maybe Collins is just loving nuts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh my god yes

But Collins is going to force a primary and drag her through the mud. She’ll be able to outspend him (unless McConnell gets heavily involved) but no one will look good coming from this.

ooooh THAT'S why he's been such a spotlight chaser this impeachment

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

A reminder that Trump blew up Qasem Soleimani and (again) nearly plunged us into another war AFTER he had fired Bolton.

We are not safer just because Bolton is gone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bobjr posted:

I feel like the only real “win” the GOP can get is if a few Dem Senators defect while no GOP Senators do. Anything else worst case things keep going as they are, which I won’t say is good but doesn’t give them extra momentum.

If nothing else. While this is going on they aren't confirming new judges.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A reminder that Trump blew up Qasem Soleimani and (again) nearly plunged us into another war AFTER he had fired Bolton.

We are not safer just because Bolton is gone.

And us soldiers are getting wrecked; the admin is just ignoring it or lying.

https://twitter.com/relentlessbored/status/1222394360098099200?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

friendbot2000 posted:

This is sad even for him

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

And us soldiers are getting wrecked; the admin is just ignoring it or lying.

https://twitter.com/relentlessbored/status/1222394360098099200?s=21

Trump a coward?! NOOOOOOO

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/amandalitman/status/1222333176749744133

I could not be prouder to have busted my rear end to help get this woman elected to the statehouse.

What's more is that Mark Herring our AG has promised that he will fight to make sure the ERA is ratified so we got that going for us which is nice.

Danica fuckin rules and I’m glad she’s doing well. Maybe people don’t hate us quite as much as I assumed :unsmith:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

sexpig by night posted:

ooooh THAT'S why he's been such a spotlight chaser this impeachment

ugh, Collins should never become a senator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Danica fuckin rules and I’m glad she’s doing well. Maybe people don’t hate us quite as much as I assumed :unsmith:

Danica is well-loved in her district in Manassas which ten years ago would have never in a million years elected a transgender person to office. She is super kind and does a lot of constituent work. Like, her delegate office is filled with artwork from schools in her district and she spends a lot of time going around, doing the people's business. At this point...I don't think she will ever be easily unseated.

Edit: Updated "transgendered person" to reflect the preferred term of "transgender person"

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 29, 2020