Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm still stuck on the farting clown who you get MASSIVELY penalized for pressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not a lot of games that give you a concrete single thing to point at and say "There, that's the low point of the series" but that exact line of questioning is it. Nine and a half games of content to go after that one, and it's all better than that one single cross-examination

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, the same case also has you cross-examining a literal pedophile about how he wants to make a child his bride.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i did like the bit where you could accuse the judge of hiding the murder weapon which iirc gets you an 8-point penalty which is almost an insta-fail, but is still really funny

iirc the clown cross-examination was fine if you kept to relevant stuff, and avoided any lines with obvious low-effort jokes involved in them (i.e. don't press the line where he says "i was pooped")

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 29, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I seem to recall someone in here saying he has a visual tell when pressing him will gently caress you up. I think him putting his hand up to his mouth and tittering?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I also haven't played the 2 Japan-only things because I lack the relevant hardware.

And I don't think I'll like AAI though I bought the first one and it's sitting on my tablet for my next long flight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC there's one very obvious line where if you "press harder" you'll get penalized, and the "I was pooped" line. There's also the bit at the end where the judge warns you that you can't press at all, just present evidence/object, but that one's not too hard to figure out.

Idk, I thought there were far harder witnesses to crack, like Oldbag in 2-4 or the worst of all, the lunch lady in 1-5.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tesseraction posted:

I seem to recall someone in here saying he has a visual tell when pressing him will gently caress you up. I think him putting his hand up to his mouth and tittering?

If he's smiling you'll get penalized.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i didn't like Turnabout Big Top but I feel like a weirdo for liking that testimony, it's one of the few times (Xin Ehop in 3-3 being the other) which breaks up the "press everything twice and then see what happens" rhythm of the game and actually gave a walking-on-tightrope tension that I felt like the cross-examinations lacked

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In the first cross-examination you can press anything and it’ll lead to an “is this relevant?” prompt and it’s super obvious if it’s relevant info or you’ll be penalized. In the subsequent ones you’ll be penalized for pressing him while he giggles. For the one where the judge tells you to just end things, you’ll be penalized for pressing at all.

It’s not a hard cross-eximantion to get through on its own, it just sucks because the whole trial day is miserable and if you haven’t been saving and mess up, you have to do the whole loving thing over.

It’s worth forcing your way through that case however, because while the circus case is one of the worst in the series, the last case of JFA is one of the best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the one line that gets you dinged immediately (other than the last "no pressing, only objections with evidence" testimony) without a follow-up "press harder" prompt is the "I was pooped" line but you're asking for it if you press that one.

2-4 is great but literally everything involving Wendy in that case is worse than anything in Turnabout Big Top. I think the Furio Tigre testimony in 3-3 is less forgiving when it comes to pressing without reason, but that one wasn't too bad either.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 29, 2020

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

RandomFerret posted:

It's not a lot of games that give you a concrete single thing to point at and say "There, that's the low point of the series" but that exact line of questioning is it. Nine and a half games of content to go after that one, and it's all better than that one single cross-examination

2-3 isn't the worst episode in the trilogy let alone the series. I'd deal with Moe and Ben any day before Jean Armstrong and Victor Kudo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dealing with Armstrong and Kudo is worth it to save the Goddess of Misfortune from further misery.

Team Maggey, motherfuckers.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

IIRC there's one very obvious line where if you "press harder" you'll get penalized, and the "I was pooped" line. There's also the bit at the end where the judge warns you that you can't press at all, just present evidence/object, but that one's not too hard to figure out.

Idk, I thought there were far harder witnesses to crack, like Oldbag in 2-4 or the worst of all, the lunch lady in 1-5.

I think the issue people have with the case is that it's a big departure from the usual go-to strategy; press everything for the funny joke dialogue until a contradiction falls out.

And then you get a case where you can't do that. You have to be careful what to press or you'll eat a penalty.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yet one of the best moments in the series imo is a cross examination where you have to press the right statement out of 13 and if you get it wrong you game over

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

somepartsareme posted:

Yet one of the best moments in the series imo is a cross examination where you have to press the right statement out of 13 and if you get it wrong you game over

It's so loving satisfying to finally loving wipe Atmey's grin off his smug face

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Arist posted:

Oh hey that's the part I'm at in my latest casual replay.

And I agree he was definitely one of the best ego smackdowns.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

somepartsareme posted:

This was the kind of climactic tough-but-fair challenge I wish had been in more of the later games. A great moment.

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
I’ve been playing this series from the very early days and I just realized Luke Atmey = Look at me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

mild 3-2 spoilers
I usually hate the "ah! you just said something about the crime i didn't mention!" gotcha, which is like the most boring detective show trick in the book (hey, what's up, Danganronpa case 1-2), but that one actually worked because it was such a legitimately easy-to-make mistake, and he was turbo-hosed with no possible way to explain his way out of it once he mentioned it

3-3 using it again sucked though. that said, i actually kind of like Furio otherwise and Viola is the MVP in that case- I almost want her to have been a testifying witness, but I think she was used the exact amount she should have been.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 6, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think 3-3 was retroactively undermined by having 1-5 copy its concluding twist.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

So I finally played the last case in 3 and beat the trilogy...

I loved the beginning of the case where you play as Edgeworth and then go on to face Franziska. It was really fun to play as someone confident and self-assured and not constantly get steamrolled and abused by the prosecution.

I also loved the investigation portion where Franziska follows you around and is mostly normal and helpful, it was kind of nice to interact with her like that. Overall I enjoyed how the case tied the overarching Fey family story together

I felt like a genius when I realized Larry's sketch was upside down and also when I realized Maya could see a man in the dark because Godot's mask had lights on it

Anyways, amazing games, wish I didn't wait all these years to play them. I bought the second trilogy during 3DS sales and might start it soon but I am hoping they give those 3 games the HD treatment as well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo Bridge to the Turnabout is the highest point of the entire series.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Spirit of Justice is like 60% off in this most recent round of 3DS sales (lasts until 3/30), so I'm probably going to pick that one up considering it's $11 or so.

I'm also considering buying the first Investigations game on Android, but I wanted to know a bit more about the port first. First of all, one of the Play Store reviews says it's an always-online game. Is that true? Because that's a deal-breaker for me. Also, anything about the graphics/filters//performance/etc of the port would be appreciated as well.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo Bridge to the Turnabout is the highest point of the entire series.

In my opinion, Godot doesn't top Von Karma as an antagonist, but otherwise, agreed.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

In my opinion, Godot doesn't top Von Karma as an antagonist, but otherwise, agreed.

Dahlia does tho

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed. Von Karma was devastating for one case, but its incredible to look back on JFA and realize just how insidious Dahlia's influence was through the entire thing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Podima posted:

Agreed. Von Karma was devastating for one case, but its incredible to look back on JFA and realize just how insidious Dahlia's influence was through the entire thing.

despite being incredibly bad at crime, all things considered

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I still like the final case of the second game best, I think.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Capfalcon posted:

von Karma is the best antagonist for sure, but Godot remains my overall favorite character.

Never took a liking to Dahlia, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh, hey, guess what’s back up on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qszj6Wbkr38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E02nF5lJB2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2f8gwygj6I

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NEW ACE ATTORNEY

play

https://twitter.com/CourtRecords_/status/1245187679974637569?s=20

not a joke tho

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The curse of idols cannot be escaped.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Final case is defending a Kpop star.

Or fingering them as the real murderer, either/or, really.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regalingualius posted:

Final case is defending a Kpop star.

Or fingering them as the real murderer, either/or, really.

art imitates life and the play ends with phoenix staring confusedly at a thirty-second music video loop until the last member of the audience goes home

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok so is laurice deauxnim a good artist or not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

ok so is laurice deauxnim a good artist or not

He is legitimately a good artist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The problem is that's the only aspect of being a human being that Larry is good at.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Waffleman_ posted:

The problem is that's the only aspect of being a human being that Larry is good at.

By the standards of people in Ace Attorney, I'm pretty sure Larry counts as a pretty swell dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

He hasn't committed murder, which puts him above at least a third or so of the entire series cast