Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

These are the voyages of the Starship Le Sabre.

No, you can't just take the Delta Cruiser without asking, DUMBASS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

The Bloop posted:

gently caress annorax.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I assume the Odyssey off-loaded its civilian passengers before going to loving war with the Dominion but who thought putting children on deep space exploration ships was a good idea

They actively say that the Odyssey offloaded its civvies in the episode, don't want it to be too harsh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why couldn't Alexander have been killed by the borg :qq:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I prefer to imagine the interior of starshipsas a lot more fluid than "X and Y 'decks'" are here and there. Naw, that stuff is in flux until it is observed and only for as long as it is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

I prefer to imagine the interior of starshipsas a lot more fluid than "X and Y 'decks'" are here and there. Naw, that stuff is in flux until it is observed and only for as long as it is.

That would certainly explain the interior shots of DISCO

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Khanstant posted:

Just make the entire ship interior out of "hard" force-field holograms for total modularity on the fly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

That would certainly explain the interior shots of STAR TREK

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In TNG at one point they were giving a tour to someone and said that a bunch of the ship was empty space that could be reconfigured as needed when it came up or given new functionality in future refits.

And the deck plans present, like, the main day-to-day use areas of a lot of the ship as really just a kind of crust around big blobs of tankage and storage and supplies that takes up a lot of the volume in the middle to let the ship be self-sustaining for a decade at a time. (Although the Galaxy class specifically was meant to be far more self-sustaining capable-of-anything than most)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 29, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just make the entire ship interior out of "hard" force-field holograms for total modularity on the fly.

They tried that on the Enterprise once.

Then the power went out and the classroom being taught next to Commander Riker's quarters saw things unspeakable.

Of those 15 human children in that class, eight are still in intensive thrice-weekly therapy, four have voluntarily checked into the facility on Tantalus IV, and two have traveled to Vulcan seeking training in Kohlinahr. The last? His name is Nick Locarno.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Every once in a while I think about that time in TNG where they detach the area51 saucer from the stickman legs, for no real reason and never to mention it again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Every once in a while I think about that time in TNG where they detach the area51 saucer from the stickman legs, for no real reason and never to mention it again.

The intention was to do that all the time, but I think it happened like twice. Once in Farpoint, once in BoBW2 (which, admittedly, was cool as poo poo)

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

zoux posted:

Why couldn't Alexander have been killed by the borg :qq:

there was a much needed clown episode already written.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

zoux posted:

The intention was to do that all the time, but I think it happened like twice. Once in Farpoint, once in BoBW2 (which, admittedly, was cool as poo poo)

Also in "The Arsenal of Freedom." Picard gets mad at Geordi for returning his ship in pieces. Worf gets mad at commanding the saucer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CPColin posted:

Also in "The Arsenal of Freedom." Picard gets mad at Geordi for returning his ship in pieces. Worf gets mad at commanding the saucer.

My ship is the lollipop.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CPColin posted:

Lol is that the one with the automated attack drones? Sounds like some poo poo they needed to split the saucer about.

I can't remember did they split it up in Generations because of tactics or emergency

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Preview of Patrick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nM2xkejpZI

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

The idea of a modular ship is cool, but the basic Trek ship design doesn't lend itself to it at all.

I liked the Matryoshka Doll Borg ship thing from First Contact, kind of wish they added another step or two though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the plan was that the Enterprise-D wouldn't see battle anywhere near as often as it did and that most episodes would be more exploring, and when it did it'd always separate and just have the battle section. Issue was that a) the hull looked dumb b) it interrupted the episode to move to the battle bridge c) the battle bridge looked poo poo d) it didn't work well with stock footage.

To pull it off they probably would've needed to have the main bridge inside the hull section so they didn't need to relocate and could keep using the good-looking set, and have a hull section that looked decent all by itself. (Probert didn't get the memo about how separation was meant to work until after the complete design was locked, he thought it was going to be, like, a slice of the saucer that flew off into battle). Then they could've just been like 'go to battle mode' and switch to the BATTLE MODE exterior.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Multi-Vector Assault Mode!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is what probert had originally thought the battle section idea would be

Also, at one point, all the bits he was thinking of making detachable for various things:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikeJF posted:

This is what probert had originally thought the battle section idea would be

Also, at one point, all the bits he was thinking of making detachable for various things:

An engineering post on that second fragmentable ship would be a sinecure no matter how incompetent you were. "Oh, the third bank of medial right ventral thrusters are out? poo poo. Only Biff Yeager knows how to fix those and he won't be sobering up for about 16 hours."

E: in the simplified version, which does make more sense than full separation, it would make more sense for the back half of the saucer to pop off, unless you wanted to run some of your torpedo tubes next to day care (like you already do, I guess) and severely limit the firing arc of your forward dorsal phaser strip (unless you have a second one underneath, which seems both a waste and an overload hazard in the middle of your saucer).

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 29, 2020

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

flying around in just a nacelle seems really stupid and totally awesome

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Bloop posted:

Y'know, the space lawn isn't gonna mow itself.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

zoux posted:

Lol is that the one with the automated attack drones? Sounds like some poo poo they needed to split the saucer about.

I can't remember did they split it up in Generations because of tactics or emergency

It was because their butt asplode

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

The idea of a modular ship is cool, but the basic Trek ship design doesn't lend itself to it at all.

I liked the Matryoshka Doll Borg ship thing from First Contact, kind of wish they added another step or two though.

That was funny.

It should have been the cube spitting out a dodecahedron, which cracks open and disgorges a sphere, which a cone twists out of, then that sheds its damaged hull to become a cylinder and then, finally, one naked drone spiralling towards the Earth from high orbit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

My ship is the lollipop.

It's a good ship.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

That was funny.

It should have been the cube spitting out a dodecahedron, which cracks open and disgorges a sphere, which a cone twists out of, then that sheds its damaged hull to become a cylinder and then, finally, one naked drone spiralling towards the Earth from high orbit.

[music of the spheres intensifies]

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire posted:

That was funny.

A Borg icosahedron spits out a dodecahedron spits out an octahedron spits out a cube spits out a tetrahedron.

Thus are the Borg revealed to be the biggest D&D dice nerds in the quadrant, but when called on it they refer to them as "not randomizing devices but Platonic solids", which are "perfection manifest", and not "irrelevant gaming ridiculousness like 4th Edition, umm, we mean like 4th Edition Transwarp, which we've outgrown but still is pretty cool, yeah."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

A Borg icosahedron spits out a dodecahedron spits out an octahedron spits out a cube spits out a tetrahedron.

Thus are the Borg revealed to be the biggest D&D dice nerds in the quadrant, but when called on it they refer to them as "not randomizing devices but Platonic solids", which are "perfection manifest", and not "irrelevant gaming ridiculousness like 4th Edition, umm, we mean like 4th Edition Transwarp, which we've outgrown but still is pretty cool, yeah."

Wait until you see the calipers these Borg use to calculate fairness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

[music of the spheres intensifies]

I'm not even kidding, they need to use this for a design somewhere. All these nested shapes, and all of them rotating. It could be like a Borg Yorktown.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e^^: or as the heart of a temporal drive or something...obviously not its actual form, but what the human mind perceives it as, perhaps wrapped by a Koenigsberg strip or something. Also leaving that autocorrect for Moëbius because it's so WTFish...

Brawnfire posted:

Wait until you see the calipers these Borg use to calculate fairness.

The true story is they had to migrate to 5th Edition because the only two archetypes any Borg would play in 4th were Controllers or Minions.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 29, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

The true story is they had to migrate to 5th Edition because the only two archetypes any Borg would play in 4th were Controllers or Minions.

Everyone collectively gapes at Hugh as he expresses interest in trying Bard.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire posted:

Everyone collectively gapes at Hugh as he expresses interest in trying Bard.

"Solo? Is that a permitted trait in the Collective?"

Not to nitpick but just based on the class name I'd say Hugh's a Seeker, but yeah mechanically I buy the Bard, though I'd say Essentials Skald (which is a Bard subtype anyway) is even closer.

God I'm such a nerd. Fortunately, I think it's a good assimilation defense.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

"Solo? Is that a permitted trait in the Collective?"

Not to nitpick but just based on the class name I'd say Hugh's a Seeker, but yeah mechanically I buy the Bard, though I'd say Essentials Skald (which is a Bard subtype anyway) is even closer.

God I'm such a nerd. Fortunately, I think it's a good assimilation defense.

Yeah you've outdone me for sure, I give!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

An engineering post on that second fragmentable ship would be a sinecure no matter how incompetent you were. "Oh, the third bank of medial right ventral thrusters are out? poo poo. Only Biff Yeager knows how to fix those and he won't be sobering up for about 16 hours."

A lot of those ejectable sections are theoretically the case on the actual design. The idea was that the engines can be popped out and hot replaced if they're damaged or an improved version is put out, you can just pull up to starbase and do it in an hour or even have a courier bring the replacement to you. You've got the yacht under the saucer there, it's showing all the escape pods popping out, the only bits that aren't on the final ship are the sections of the saucer that can head off and do their own thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the Prometheus the dumbest ship in ST? Yes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Is the Prometheus the dumbest ship in ST? Yes.

Even if we qualify "dumbest FEDERATON ship," the Enterprise-J wants a word.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's fine guys, I'll just take my hilarious references to the classic TNG episode ARSENAL OF FREEDOM to the other Trek thread where they will be appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rhyno posted:

That's fine guys, I'll just take my hilarious references to the classic TNG episode ARSENAL OF FREEDOM to the other Trek thread where they will be appreciated

I liked that the solution to the Galaxy's Most Dangerous Captive Timeshare Presentation was just to tell the guy he made a sale and can call off the pitch now.