Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Weird how credit cards manage a lower rate and also don't start charging for a month and that's like their entire business model :thunk:

e- uhhhh here's a Gang of Four song about dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZBodmqE-Q

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

How do you get to be a functioning adult and not understand how numbers work... :psyduck:
The entire consumer debt model is based on a tripartite system of consumerism, low wages, and end user innumeracy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The entire consumer debt model is based on a tripartite system of consumerism, low wages, and end user innumeracy.

Sure but like... surely you need to know how your bank account works to survive..?

I'm not suggesting a moral failing just that I'm surprised people aren't dead without being able to do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The entire consumer debt model is also based on people being able to be like that and not end up dead before they start being unprofitable to the traded options market.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jippa posted:

I got about 10 mins in and gave up. Was he really hungover or something I couldn't even figure out what point he was trying to make?

Limmy doesn't drink and he is perfectly coherent in that video? I don't know where you get hungover from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

Limmy doesn't drink and he is perfectly coherent in that video? I don't know where you get hungover from.

He does take quite a while to say a relatively simple thing but I figured that's just how he talks.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Grenfell Tower fire: Firms want immunity over evidence

nothing says "we did nothing wrong" by demanding immunity before you start talking about what happened

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

sebzilla posted:

Yikes.

Might be worth looking into an interest-free bank transfer card or something similar (maybe even a loan from a good friend or family member if anyone's got that kind of scratch kicking about) to dig yourself out of that hole, overdraft fees are some bullshit and make it so much harder to get debt free.

The transfer card is a definite no go because I can’t get poo poo in the way of credit atm and the family is a no hoper so I’ll just need to deal with it. With any luck there’s a promotion coming up in the near future that’ll make it fairly easy to pay off (if I get it) but we’ll just need to wait and see.

Bullshit debt sucks and I’m willing to bet they’ve had way more than three grand off me over the years.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I set em up you knock em down.

Like children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when I was setting up a joint account with my partner, the clerk guy repeated over and over that he wasn't allowed to advise things and could only state things. There were two options under the package, an account that cost £1 a month and gave cashback on bills and council tax (normally worth about £4 a month), and one that cost £5 a month and gave all that plus 1.5% interest on the balance.

I asked how much you'd need in savings to make the second one worthwhile and got a "I can't advise that", like mate I'm asking for a mathematically provable fact not an opinion. :eng99:

Fortunately I was able to approximate it on the spot, 5 a month is 60 a year and to get 60 at 1.5% you'd need 4 grand*, so anything under that risks it costing more than it's worth, but that seems like something not everyone would do and banks should be required to state it.

Also they just dropped it to 1% now so lol glad we didn't go with it.

*It's slightly less than that because compound interest and you're only paying 4 for the added interest facility, but it works as a ballpark.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 29, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Guavanaut posted:

The more clever and optical you make it, the more likely there's going to be a bunch of electronics that nobody has properly audited in there, that gets into the same security basket as electronic voting machines.

There's a mid point there, you could have Scantron style cards filled in with pencil at the polling booth, a semi-fancy machine that transcribes those to punched cards and is verified by a volunteer pool, and your standard Hollerith machines to run the vote, tested on known packs the day of counting.

That could take care of most of the ease of use issues for the average voter, edge cases for swastikas made of making GBS threads dick nipples, do fast runs on multiple count voting systems, and the weakest point security wise would still be when the bins full of ballots are moved around with two people in the back of a van, so no worse than present.

You still need to make sure that the voter ballot templates aren't formatted like rear end though.

The FCA told banks that their authorized and unauthorized overdraft rates couldn't be so wildly divergent, nor could they set punitive unauthorized overdraft charges, so they opted to gently caress over everybody :toot:

Voting is a solved problem. Mail paper ballots to everyone, they fill in circles next to each candidate or initiative with a pen, they mail the ballot back for free, OCR machines scan all the ballots quickly, a sample is manually rechecked to confirm accuracy, and all the ballots are retained for a potential recount. Scantrons and punch cards are obsolete technology that have a lot of drawbacks and there's no reason to involve them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like a Scantron with manual sampling.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

I remember when I was setting up a joint account with my partner, the clerk guy repeated over and over that he wasn't allowed to advise things and could only state things. There were two options under the package, an account that cost £1 a month and gave cashback on bills and council tax (normally worth about £4 a month), and one that cost £5 a month and gave all that plus 1.5% interest on the balance.

I asked how much you'd need in savings to make the second one worthwhile and got a "I can't advise that", like mate I'm asking for a mathematically provable fact not an opinion. :eng99:

Fortunately I was able to approximate it on the spot, 5 a month is 60 a year and to get 60 at 1.5% you'd need 4 grand*, so anything under that risks it costing more than it's worth, but that seems like something not everyone would do and banks should be required to state it.

*It's slightly less than that because compound interest and you're only paying 4 for the added interest facility, but it works as a ballpark.

you did that maths on the spot

i had to use my phone to double check my shopping receipt earlier

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like a Scantron with manual sampling.

It's obviously similar because they're both based on simple OCR technology that is easy to audit, but involving a Scantron invites a lot of user errors and lack of clarity. People mark the wrong place, or over vote, or make other errors, and it's quite difficult to identify those mistakes, remedy them, and communicate that to election workers. Marking a normal piece of paper with clearly identified marks next to actual names goes a long way to ensuring that people's ballots are being used appropriately.

Here's the manual for Oregon's ballot procedures if you have questions about the process: https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/documents/vbm_manual.pdf

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how well does an automated scanning system work when your ballot papers have randomised orders?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

how well does an automated scanning system work when your ballot papers have randomised orders?

As in each ballot is different? I'm sure that would simply be up to the interpretive software. The actual OCR scanner would have no problem with that at all. In Oregon the order of the ballot is alphabetically randomized for each election - so roll the dice, and then all ballots for that year use the order: "Z, R, J, O, Y, Q, L, A, W, G, K, E, T, P, C, F, B, U, S, D, X, N, V, I, M, H". I'm not sure what the merits or drawbacks of randomizing every ballot would be, other than that obviously it would increase the interpretive overhead. I'm inclined to think that randomizing every ballot would be more trouble than it was worth, since it would make auditing very difficult.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Julio Cruz posted:

OCR reader or put a barcode next to the candidate name. is plenty, you've only got a limited number of things it had to match against so it doesn't even need to be very good OCR

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kaal posted:

As in each ballot is different? I'm sure that would simply be up to the interpretive software. The actual OCR scanner would have no problem with that at all. In Oregon the order of the ballot is alphabetically randomized for each election - so roll the dice, and then all ballots for that year use the order: "Z, R, J, O, Y, Q, L, A, W, G, K, E, T, P, C, F, B, U, S, D, X, N, V, I, M, H". I'm not sure what the merits or drawbacks of randomizing every ballot would be, other than that obviously it would increase the interpretive overhead. I'm inclined to think that randomizing every ballot would be more trouble than it was worth, since it would make auditing very difficult.

I'm given to believe that ballots in the UK are randomised because otherwise we'd have everyone renaming themselves to Aaron A Aaronson to get those sweet, sweet "oh who cares they're all the same just vote for the first person" votes

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The thing with managing debt is that we all get to feel like financial geniuses until you get hit by a huge expense you have no way of predicting or paying for. Without going into too much detail, I went from being in uni, with my partner finishing their masters, to having to drop out of uni, becoming homeless, which seriously aggravated my partner's asthma, and now they're unfit to work, which in turn caused them to have a complete mental health breakdown.

Now I'm on my feet and slowly playing things off, but it's hard to know how close that financial cliff is until you find yourself falling from it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ratjaculation posted:

you did that maths on the spot

i had to use my phone to double check my shopping receipt earlier

5 * 12 = 60

60 * 2/3 = 40 (to get from 1.5% to 1%)

40 * 100 = 4000

No problem.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm given to believe that ballots in the UK are randomised because otherwise we'd have everyone renaming themselves to Aaron A Aaronson to get those sweet, sweet "oh who cares they're all the same just vote for the first person" votes

Ah I was thinking you were talking about the actual ballots being printed off differently (i.e. my ballot is ordered ABC, and yours is CAB). It's my understanding that in the UK the ballots are all printed the same, and the parties determine which order to put their candidates. Hopefully that is changing, since that is hugely unfair. Ballots definitely should be randomized, for exactly the reason that being first in the list is an advantage. Oregon has had a randomized ballot order for a long time, and it's definitely much better than the alternatives. Under that system, Aaron A Aaronson has no advantage since the alphabet itself is randomized ("Z, R, J, O, Y, Q, L, A, W, G, K, E, T, P, C, F, B, U, S, D, X, N, V, I, M, H" was the 2018 one). So not only would "Aaronson" come after "Laramie", but they'd also come after "Alfred" - and that order gets changed annually. OCR machines have absolutely no problem with that.

https://oregon.public.law/rules/oar_165-010-0090

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 29, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The thing with managing debt is that we all get to feel like financial geniuses until you get hit by a huge expense you have no way of predicting or paying for.
There's a large difference between unavoidable circumstance debt (which should be covered socially) and banks misselling or being purposefully vague about products that causes people to have unservicable debt or subpar finances (which should be solved by firing banks into the sun).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The thing with managing debt is that we all get to feel like financial geniuses until you get hit by a huge expense you have no way of predicting or paying for. Without going into too much detail, I went from being in uni, with my partner finishing their masters, to having to drop out of uni, becoming homeless, which seriously aggravated my partner's asthma, and now they're unfit to work, which in turn caused them to have a complete mental health breakdown.

Now I'm on my feet and slowly playing things off, but it's hard to know how close that financial cliff is until you find yourself falling from it

Oh sure obviously most people don't get stuck in lovely debt voluntarily, it's specifically stuff like "how do spending money work" that's a bit baffling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile in Normal For Tories, MP who voted against same-sex marriage elected to be parliament’s new LGBT and equalities chief.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

which should be solved by firing banks into the sun

:hai:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

5 * 12 = 60

40 * 100 = 4000

No problem.

That's to get net zero cost though, the other account costs £1 a month so a true comparison yields a smaller balance

Math'd :c00lbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Join the conservative party?

Funnily enough, she was a tory voter.

Guavanaut posted:

You'd be amazed at how many people can't work out percentages. Many moons ago before spreadsheets etc, I was interviewing clerical staff for a job that involved calculating lots of percentages (it was a time when VAT rates changed frequently and we were giving people refunds spread over several years). I interviewed around 30 people and gave them all what I thought was a simple maths test which was untimed (within reason), and which they could use calculator or pen & paper as they wished.
Question 1: What is 15% of 100? (I also added the comment that 'if you think this looks easy it is because it is, not a trick').
29/30 people (including it has to be said a few graduates) all answered 6.67. Only 1 person got it right.

What? Took me ages to figure out why! At school they probably learned the shortcut 10% is divide by 10. This was then misappropriated to say 15% is divide by 15. :smdh:

Question 8: inflation changes from 5% to 4%. Which of these statements is correct: (a) prices are still going up (b) prices are staying the same (c) prices are going down.
Yes, you've guessed it, almost everyone said prices were going down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's to get net zero cost though, the other account costs £1 a month so a true comparison yields a smaller balance

Math'd :c00lbert:
Yeah, that plus compound interest gets you somewhere around the £3,200 mark for it to start being slightly worthwhile, but it's worth highballing on these things, because if a highball had come back with an amount I was likely to have in there I'd have worked it out properly.

The main point is that it would have taken the bank very little effort to say "account B is great if you know you will have more than £3,200 in it at all times, if you go below this it might cost you more money than account A" but did not, because it's not in their own interests to do so.

e: ^^^ That and tax bands!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Pretty sure what it really comes down to is us having legal standards about who can give financial advice and minimum wage counter workers not meeting that threshold?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Anyone know whayt Alastair Stewart said on Twitter to make him quit ITN?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't quite get why we're talking about fair forms of electoral reform when the Tories have a comfortable majority, most likely for the next five years at that.

It's not going to be fair.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

sebzilla posted:

5 * 12 = 60

40 * 100 = 4000

No problem.

whoa whoa slow down egghead

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
boris

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1198695280616640512

BORIS

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1222567351067054081

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Record levels of investment.

Note I did not specify which direction the record was being set in.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If the press could just do their jobs even a little bit this sort of thing wouldn't be so blatant.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Make more... with less! One weird trick discovered by Dr Robotnik that they don't want you to know!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

you know how it is - you're all ok, new year's resolution, no more austerity! but then January hits and you're all, but it's so good and moreish, you just can't resist

so what do we think about this whole Northern nationalisation thing? I can't see this lot actually liking the idea or wanting to promote a taste for it, and if they wanted to just be caretaker until another private operator takes over there's no reason to invoke the big N. They planning on just running it into the ground as an object lesson?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Boris is actually a big softy, you'll all see. He's only pretending to be a neoliberal shithead to win the election...

Oh

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

This is my parents' MP, and they refer to her as 'the Romsey Shagger'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

baka kaba posted:

you know how it is - you're all ok, new year's resolution, no more austerity! but then January hits and you're all, but it's so good and moreish, you just can't resist

so what do we think about this whole Northern nationalisation thing? I can't see this lot actually liking the idea or wanting to promote a taste for it, and if they wanted to just be caretaker until another private operator takes over there's no reason to invoke the big N. They planning on just running it into the ground as an object lesson?

It's not really nationalisation, it's running the franchise from a government operator they can put it out to retender at any point. Nationalisation is being used because the press are poo poo.