Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

devmd01 posted:

Heads up about Chrome 80 dropping on the 4th, it’s probably gonna break SSO for a lot of people. I just heard about it today, and with initial testing we’re gonna have to disable this feature because it breaks our main business SaaS app in servicenow.

https://www.okta.com/blog/2019/12/chrome-80-is-on-its-way-and-it-might-change-your-cookies-are-you-ready/

This has been my life since christmas. 5 OAuth2 token providers to patch/upgrade in 3 environments each!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Proteus Jones posted:

I remember something I was told way back when I worked at a startup ISP in the mid 90s. Never make yourself indispensable. Because then you've done one of two things. You've either made it so you will never, ever get a promotion again in the company, or when technology moves on, as it does, you'll be the first to be let go.

I have been in the same department through 4 different acquisitions. The key word is "adaptability". If you show that you can adapt to different business cultures and even shifting objectives, you are far more likely to be a fit with the new company. Over the course of this I have had pretty significant increases in wages and also a couple promotions to more interesting positions.

Restated: teach people about the dumb poo poo you built so you can build newer, dumber poo poo because money. This is my mantra.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Might already be affecting some Chromebooks, I should have checked the version, but user made a ticket that Teams on the O365 portal wasn't working, and I had to flip the "turn off third party cookies" option to off

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone use Microsoft Premier support? Is it any better than standard Azure/O365 support? How is it compared having an AWS TAM?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So I’m interviewing for my first management position to make that jump. What are some things I should be asking the senior business leaders or possible red flags that only crop up in management level positions?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Heads up about Chrome 80 dropping on the 4th, it’s probably gonna break SSO for a lot of people. I just heard about it today, and with initial testing we’re gonna have to disable this feature because it breaks our main business SaaS app in servicenow.

https://www.okta.com/blog/2019/12/chrome-80-is-on-its-way-and-it-might-change-your-cookies-are-you-ready/

Microsoft was sending out warnings about this too, but it looks like all their cloud services will be updated before this goes live. But yeah, if you have any influence make sure your devs download the beta and test anything that relies on cookies.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone use Microsoft Premier support? Is it any better than standard Azure/O365 support? How is it compared having an AWS TAM?

I have never used the service. I do however know that Microsoft hires for these positions on that staff constantly and pay poo poo money while being contract only. A big part of that premier support group is in texas in my area. The aws tam job is way sexier in my opinion and probably gets way better candidates.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah... We're kind of thinking Premier is just more of the same awful support from Microsoft but with an added cost. It's just frustrating because you just can't seem to get even the most basic of answers out of Microsoft regarding their products. It's insanity.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah... We're kind of thinking Premier is just more of the same awful support from Microsoft but with an added cost. It's just frustrating because you just can't seem to get even the most basic of answers out of Microsoft regarding their products. It's insanity.

Don't let them close the case. It can take time and escalation, but I've only had them refuse to get to root cause one time (with a bizarre "it's always been that way" explanation when it clearly wasn't).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The difference is that the standard support is outsourced to globe where the premier support is mostly us based ( I think ). Standard support is so poo poo because microsoft desperately wants you to use a reseller for support in an MCP model. You are probably going to talk to a regular person on premier, they are just going to be the people hard up trying to find another job.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anyone have recommendation for a ticketing system that supports TAPI? Bonus points if it also has a decent inventory system...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Doesn't ConnectWise fit that bill? I'm a few years removed from using it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We have a Microsoft TAM, and pay for premier support. I've probably used it for 5 or 6 tickets in the last 10 years or so, but every single time they resolved the issue and I talked to very competent support folks.

Any time we open a P1 ticket we notify our TAM and she gets involved to make sure we're getting taken care of.

Is it worth it? I don't know really. We're a big company with a huge Enterprise Agreement and spend over 20M (probably close to 30M now) a year with MSFT, so the 60K or whatever we spend for the TAM and whatever the block of hours we buy costs is a rounding error in the EA. We try to use Software Assurance tickets as often as possible as we turn unused premier hours into MS Ignite tickets.

I've talked to Premier Support folks based overseas and in the US, and the quality has been excellent each time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wish we had an AWS TAM. I've had a couple encounters with them when our account rep was doing us a solid and they were loving awesome. Got very involved, specific questions answered in no time. Our company's kind of right on the line of where it makes sense to shell out the big bucks for premium support and of course pushing back hard on it (because to be fair it is mega expensive). But unlike most vendors, you appear to actually get what you pay for with AWS' baller-tier support, which is refreshing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

George H.W. oval office posted:

So I’m interviewing for my first management position to make that jump. What are some things I should be asking the senior business leaders or possible red flags that only crop up in management level positions?
Honestly, if you want to do management, you have no management experience, and you've found someone willing to take a chance on you, maybe just be ready to eat poo poo for an opportunity instead of focusing on red flags. Management opportunities for non-managers are rare unless you have something akin to TL experience.

One red flag: if your interview loop doesn't involve any members of the team and they get weird if you ask to meet with the team, it's a weird team or a weirder power dynamic

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Microsoft was sending out warnings about this too, but it looks like all their cloud services will be updated before this goes live. But yeah, if you have any influence make sure your devs download the beta and test anything that relies on cookies.

You can test it in chrome 78+ by going to chrome://flags and turning samesite cookie behavior on.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Docjowles posted:

I wish we had an AWS TAM. I've had a couple encounters with them when our account rep was doing us a solid and they were loving awesome. Got very involved, specific questions answered in no time. Our company's kind of right on the line of where it makes sense to shell out the big bucks for premium support and of course pushing back hard on it (because to be fair it is mega expensive). But unlike most vendors, you appear to actually get what you pay for with AWS' baller-tier support, which is refreshing.

Honestly the part I liked best of our TAM relationship in my old group (my current group doesn't have a direct relationship) was getting info on unannounced product roadmap stuff. Mainly because we could know in advance if some particular gripe was going to be addressed and know whether or not just to hang on for a bit or to come up with a different approach.

I think the only time our group ever actually filed a support ticket was for when CF or Steps got stuck in a weird-rear end state.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Docjowles posted:

This post makes me happy.

But yeah, the $15,000/month minimum is a big price tag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My buddy as a TAM and he is doing pretty alright.
I mean it's a good gig if you can get it but you really have to know your poo poo.
Like there is zero room to bullshit the client, especially since the TAM pretty much the only work with one single client at a time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My buddy as a TAM and he is doing pretty alright.
I mean it's a good gig if you can get it but you really have to know your poo poo.
Like there is zero room to bullshit the client, especially since the TAM pretty much the only work with one single client at a time.

The bravest words a TAM must feel comfortable saying over and over again is “I don’t know.”

This is drilled home in a big way during interviews. we hammer on a topic you profess to know until you don’t know anymore and then we get to know if you try to shuck and jive you way out or just lay out the “I don’t know” card.

Shuck-and-jive gets you the exit very quickly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I know a few techs from rackspace that went to tam for aws. Legit techs I’d let login to my servers.

sinequanon01
Oct 20, 2017

jaegerx posted:

I know a few techs from rackspace that went to tam for aws. Legit techs I’d let login to my servers.

TAMs can’t log in to poo poo. It is the best job. :allears:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

skipdogg posted:

We have a Microsoft TAM, and pay for premier support. I've probably used it for 5 or 6 tickets in the last 10 years or so, but every single time they resolved the issue and I talked to very competent support folks.

Any time we open a P1 ticket we notify our TAM and she gets involved to make sure we're getting taken care of.

Is it worth it? I don't know really. We're a big company with a huge Enterprise Agreement and spend over 20M (probably close to 30M now) a year with MSFT, so the 60K or whatever we spend for the TAM and whatever the block of hours we buy costs is a rounding error in the EA. We try to use Software Assurance tickets as often as possible as we turn unused premier hours into MS Ignite tickets.

I've talked to Premier Support folks based overseas and in the US, and the quality has been excellent each time.

Same great experience here, I wouldn’t run my on-prem SharePoint service without a bucket of premier support hours to draw from every year. Plus when we find out it is not SharePoint but SQL or Windows they’ll bring in their equivalent person into the call.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

sinequanon01 posted:

TAMs can’t log in to poo poo. It is the best job. :allears:

Jelly

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We also have premier support, sometimes you can get a less than stellar tier 1 agent but you can get escalated to some pretty smart people if you need it. We're also able to use our premier hours for training as well, which is good since we don't use many of our hours.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

devmd01 posted:

Hoho this is gonna break so much poo poo for corporations that its unbelievable. All the customer we contacted regarding this were not aware this was something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xThrasheRx posted:

Hoho this is gonna break so much poo poo for corporations that its unbelievable. All the customer we contacted regarding this were not aware this was something.

Personally, it can't happen fast enough

:munch:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

xThrasheRx posted:

When I saw this I was a little concerned because this is the kind of thing that typically blindsides us, but I downloaded chrome nightly and didn't notice a single issue with any of our SSO systems. It seems like nothing sets the cookie at all, so we automatically get lax, and given we self-host, everything I care about is same-site anyway.

PBS fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 29, 2020

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

PBS posted:

When I saw this I was a little concerned because this is the kind of thing that typically blindsides us, but I downloaded chrome nightly and didn't notice a single issue with any of our SSO systems. It seems like nothing sets the cookie at all, so we automatically get lax, and given we self-host, everything I care about is same-site anyway.

This! I was super worried, and tested everything out yesterday (set the flag in 79, and grabbed the beta for 80). So far our simple rear end ADFS and even our newer shibboleth setups aren't doing anything special enough for this to be an issue. Hooray for old and slow!

The only thing that is going to be an issue is that currently, Shibboleth being java...

Shib Testing posted:

Further work will investigate a Proof of Concept servlet filter for munging appropriate IdP session cookies in order to set their SameSite attribute to None - thus maintaining their current behaviour. This is only necessary because the Java Servlet Specification v3.0 or v4.0 does not cater for the SameSite attribute, and it can not be set through the Java Cookie API.

So for a while we won't be setting cookies from our new SSO to anything and defaulting to lax. Should be fine in that case. But we shall see. We have a lot of 3rd parties... and they are notorious for not doing poo poo right.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Agrikk posted:

The bravest words a TAM must feel comfortable saying over and over again is “I don’t know.”

This is drilled home in a big way during interviews. we hammer on a topic you profess to know until you don’t know anymore and then we get to know if you try to shuck and jive you way out or just lay out the “I don’t know” card.

Shuck-and-jive gets you the exit very quickly.

My being willing to say "I don't know, but I can find out" in my interview got me my current job as a (non-AWS) TAM. I went deep enough in the technology to assure them I knew it fairly well but apparently they've often had people try to BS their way through when they didn't really know the answer so being willing to admit not knowing was a must have skill.

sinequanon01 posted:

TAMs can't log in to poo poo. It is the best job. :allears:

At first it was weird, but now it's pretty drat awesome!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol whoops hosed that interview up. A phone screening where you just ramble about your resume is like the worst version of myself. I am so much better when presented an opportunity to have a conversation about something. The recruiter feedback from the client was “communication wasn’t there and didn’t go the way he expected” which surprised her. Ah well just gotta practice that elevator pitch some more.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
What does TAM stand for? I tried googling and came up empty.

It’s best to act out what you’re going to say.

For questions like: “Tell me about yourself” The real question is tell me about your recent career experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lol whoops hosed that interview up. A phone screening where you just ramble about your resume is like the worst version of myself. I am so much better when presented an opportunity to have a conversation about something. The recruiter feedback from the client was “communication wasn’t there and didn’t go the way he expected” which surprised her. Ah well just gotta practice that elevator pitch some more.

Eh, it wasn't meant to be. To be fair, the feedback is vague IMO.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Technical Account Manager
SAM is also another one you'll see a lot and that's Sales Account Manager, so the TAMs counterpart on the sales side.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

What does TAM stand for? I tried googling and came up empty.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

Eh, it wasn't meant to be. To be fair, the feedback is vague IMO.

Yea but I get what they meant. I immediately texted my fiancée saying that it felt off and that the in person would be a lot better. A mixture of nerves and just not hitting the important pieces of my resume compared to the selection criteria. At least I only had to wait 20 minutes to find out “Na, not gonna do in person after all tomorrow”

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

MF_James posted:

SAM is also another one you'll see a lot and that's Sales Account Manager, so the TAMs counterpart on the sales side.

SAM Can also be Support Account manager depending on the company. It is where I work, if someone has premier support they get a SAM to manage all their support issues.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

So the SAM says "Sure, the software can do that" and the TAM says "I don't know how it can do that but I can find out where the SAM lives"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

https://youtu.be/aocZo3oeNxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

poo poo I needed this 2 hours ago