Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mediaphage posted:

I just realized you guys might get a kick out of the trophies my so and i made for a local birb show

lol we’re basically the only reason the club made money last year since we did everything at materials cost

To be clear the artwork is all either public domain or licensed.
Do you have an Etsy or something? I'm sure people would like their birds to receive a trophy for BEST SCREM and whatnot.

Pookah posted:

These are all marvellous, and I can not stop laughing at

It's just so Father Ted-ish
Is the parrot small, or just far away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you have an Etsy or something? I'm sure people would like their birds to receive a trophy for BEST SCREM and whatnot.

Haha. I’ve thought about personalized bird things like that, but not at the moment; this is all stuff I do as a hobby or gifts. At some point if birdnerds here want, I’m sure we could come up with a few fun awards to give out.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is the parrot small, or just far away?

Lol.

Those tiles were in lieu of the rosettes last year. They’re actually Home Depot tiles but we put on some transfers and re-fired them in the kiln.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ROLL CALL

PINTO

Name: Pinto "Bean" a.k.a. the Bean a.k.a. Bean-o-rino
Class: Rogue
Likes: Sneaking up to nibble me for attention, Ms. Cookies, his bells, his foraging toy
Dislikes: Millet, Rotten Cookies, me touching his bells, the act of refilling his foraging toy
Distinguishing Features: Laughs at you

PEANUT

Name: Peanut "Butter" a.k.a. Peanutty Buddy
Class: Bard
Likes: Making fun noises, pasta, flying to my shoulder :3:, singing with me (even if he replaces all the lyrics with "Wehweh wah weh weh")
Dislikes: Seeing cars pass by through the window, bedtime, Ms. Cookies
Distinguishing Features: Missing 3½ toes, lost function of 2 remaining toes and ankles. Splayed tail feathers since he 'leans back' due to his foot troubles.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Name/species/sex: Auri, lilac-crowned amazon, female
Class: Perch Potato
Likes: Blueberries, bread of any type, apples, most other fruits/melons/berries, many many other foods things. Whistling
Dislikes: Being touched with hands, being ignored when there are people around, having too much attention paid when there are people around

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Those awards are so freaking cool.

Have you ever thought of selling stuff like that? I bet there is a forum full of people here who would gladly give you money for a "Worst Adult Cockatiel" award.

:derptiel:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Name: Teeka, umbrella cockatoo, male, 22 years old

Forecast: cloudy with a chance of screm

Likes: cuddling, towel girlfriend, oatmeal, disemboweling furniture and nesting inside the corpse

Dislikes: being left alone for more than 30 seconds, the weird giant turtle statue sculpute thing at my parents' house, toes

Number of years I must stay alive in order to see him dead and buried: 40-60

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hello Teeka. I just met you, and I love you

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hello Teeka. I just met you, and I love you

I want to steal your cloud

:yayclod:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Birdie roll call! Yay! I don't post very much anymore but I still read! I love your birbs but I love mine more:

Nugget

Name: Chicken McNugget AKA Nugget
Alignment: Neutral Good
Class: Wild Magic Sorcerer
Dislikes: Basically everything else

Ozzy

Name: Oswald Cobblepot AKA Ozzy
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Barbarian
Likes: Baths, being held like an ice cream cone, Mr. Pip's beard, sunflower seeds

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pip pip pip posted:

Birdie roll call! Yay! I don't post very much anymore but I still read! I love your birbs but I love mine more:

Nugget

Name: Chicken McNugget AKA Nugget
Alignment: Neutral Good
Class: Wild Magic Sorcerer

Ozzy

Name: Oswald Cobblepot AKA Ozzy
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Barbarian
Likes: Baths, being held like an ice cream cone, Mr. Pip's beard, sunflower seeds

That framed picture/cross-stitch is :discourse:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Love all your happy birds. Its great to see a goffins here too

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I don’t understand the Pokémon. But a cockatoo it what happens when your cockatiel powers up their Pikachu meter or what the hell ever.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Pinto and Peanut love making "weh" noises with Ms Cookies and me. And Peanut just gets me. We're on the same level. So when we see Ms Cookies trying to make a video of Pinto doing his little "weh" noises, well, Peanut knew what we had to do

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1221964434102530049

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rotten Cookies posted:

Pinto and Peanut love making "weh" noises with Ms Cookies and me. And Peanut just gets me. We're on the same level. So when we see Ms Cookies trying to make a video of Pinto doing his little "weh" noises, well, Peanut knew what we had to do

That's just adorable :allears:.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Those awards are so freaking cool.

Have you ever thought of selling stuff like that? I bet there is a forum full of people here who would gladly give you money for a "Worst Adult Cockatiel" award.

:derptiel:

Thanks, we were really nervous, honestly. Bird show people are very...particular...about, well, everything. But all the fancy experts liked them, so it was in all a good experience. If I do it again this year I’m definitely getting it done far in advance. I think we ended up doing over 200 individual pieces.

If there is interest, I would be happy to put together something for you guys at some point. They’re kind of time intensive but it’s a fun hobby. Loudest screm? Worst cockatiel? Beepiest budgie? Easy to do similar stuff across signs, coasters, keychains, whatever. I can probably post a thread in the mart if it ever came to it.

Joking aside pi cross species awards would be pretty funny

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 28, 2020

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rotten Cookies posted:

I love this :lmao:

mediaphage I wish to enter my goblins Amadeus and Charlemagne in the categories of Best Bean and Perfect Pepper respectively.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://giant.gfycat.com/FixedMerryAtlanticsharpnosepuffer.webm

No birb don't get squashed by pillow!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

this is exactly the same as trying to make a bed with a cat in the room

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Thanks, we were really nervous, honestly. Bird show people are very...particular...about, well, everything. But all the fancy experts liked them, so it was in all a good experience. If I do it again this year I’m definitely getting it done far in advance. I think we ended up doing over 200 individual pieces.

If there is interest, I would be happy to put together something for you guys at some point. They’re kind of time intensive but it’s a fun hobby. Loudest screm? Worst cockatiel? Beepiest budgie? Easy to do similar stuff across signs, coasters, keychains, whatever. I can probably post a thread in the mart if it ever came to it.

Joking aside pi cross species awards would be pretty funny

I would be super interested, but probably in a few months. Right now, I'm living off savings so cash is tight. Hopefully that will be resolved by the first week in March.

There was a Caique at the Bird Shop named Jerry that absolutely adored me. We probably won't add another bird while the parakeets are with us, but boy howdy Jerry was tempting. He apparently used everyone else as a chew toy. That's why I always introduce myself to friendly parrots with scritches.

It still didn't save me when a grey tried to remove my forearm. The whole "biting and holding on" thing is hard to deal with. It wasn't the pain, I can deal with that. It was the whole "how do I get him off me before I'm missing a chunk of skin?" thing. Turns out shaking your forearm while remaining silent worked.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I nominate Ozzy for Worst Cockatiel.

(I still love him, though.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Crouton and Galbedir!

Crouton (left)
Race: Peachface lovebird, cinnamon
Class: Assassin
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Small murderbird, bites to maim, taste for blood. Equipped with top-notch chemical enhancements (Suprelorin for butt problems). Do not let her cuddly nature fool you. Heavy duty industrial paper shredder.
Likes: chilli, carrot, strawberry, paper for shredding, bloodshed.
Dislikes: broom, scary cheese, jingly ball.

Galbedir (right)
Race: Peachface lovebird, Dutch blue pied
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Good
Paladin in the service of Lawful Good God Crouton. Part of his devotion to his god requires protecting and defending the honour of the mortal incarnation of the God Crouton, his nestmate Crouton. The Holy Scripts of Crouton say that if Galbedir provides Crouton with snacks, preens, and poems telling of her beauty and kindness, she will repay him on the day of reckoning with smooches and boundless affection and never ever pinch him or steal his sunnies ever again.
Dislikes: broom, being pinched, scary hand (can step up onto arms ok though).

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Hi bird thread! Quick question: does anyone have experience owning pigeons? Any breed suggestions for a first time pigeon owner who wants one just as a companion? Any tips on their care?

I'm not planning on getting one til my partner and I are settled about a year from now but I'm excited to hear other people's experiences with them!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
The more I think about it...Serra really needs a “Most Chonky Cockatiel” award. Especially if the vet puts her on a diet, which I think is coming.

She is getting a little too comfortable just plopping onto the floor with some half assed flappity flaps.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Hardwood Floor posted:

Hi bird thread! Quick question: does anyone have experience owning pigeons? Any breed suggestions for a first time pigeon owner who wants one just as a companion? Any tips on their care?

I'm not planning on getting one til my partner and I are settled about a year from now but I'm excited to hear other people's experiences with them!

Pigeons, you say? I have two!

My first was a Classic Old Frill (COF) and he was the sweetest bird I've ever had. Sadly he passed late last year, and very suddenly (which can happen with any bird species, so don't let that put you off!) My remaining two are rescued ferals, one of which was rescued as a chick so she got some handling in and is much more tolerable to my presence than my angry puffy boy.

The breeder I got my COF from is actually now working on breeding for emotional support temperaments and has a very involved hand-raising process. She'll ship to the continental US, and I definitely recommend you check her out!: The Ramsey Loft

General things I've noticed and/or know about pigeon care: A large dog crate with a flat perch will work just fine to house one as long as they get flight time. They're strict seed-eaters so if you have a local farm feed place, you can generally get a 50 lb bag of racing pigeon feed for ~$30 and that will last you a good while in an air-tight storage bin.

Pidges are very dusty birds, so be sure to take that into consideration. I have an air purifier running pretty much around the clock during winter since I shrinkwrap my windows for heating purposes.

That's the bare basics so if you have any other questions, I can do my best to answer. Otherwise, I know Dani at the Ramsey Loft has a ton of information on the tumblr that I linked and is very friendly!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I managed to get a video of Serra waddling around my headboard. The blanket is down so she can have free reign. I’m pretty sure she would live there if I let her.

https://youtu.be/ECRr5LMDWTs

Edit : Serra just jumped off the headboard to poop on my chest, then hopped back up.

I’ve somehow taught her that’s the correct thing to do. :stare:

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 29, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
She's still a little wary of that Domo-kun I see :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Name: Terra, Baby, Crested Lemon, Queen of Fluffenchops
Race/Class: Lutino Cockatiel, Rogue
Skills: Getting poop in places she shouldn't be able to (how did you get a turd on your own wing???) climbing, yelling
Likes: Corn, willow sticks, doritos, making you chase her around to get her tucked in for bedtime, children, Taylor Swift, preening human eyebrows
Dislikes: her harness, the shower, strawberries, the delivery man, when I clean her poop
Pros: Have you seen her??? Shes so round!! Very soft, loves attention, always willing to try new food and very friendly once she's used to a person
Cons: HATES her harness. Like, a lot. She screams upon even seeing it. Way too smart to train, she will sneak treats and ruin the exercise, only bathes when she wants to, flies away and screams when she sees the spray bottle, VERY clingy which is cute until you need to do something important
Fun Fact: Her name was originally a mangled Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reference but is now a reference to Terra from Kingdom Hearts since they're both morons.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

k i'm doing this

Name:
Pig, Pretty Pretty Budgie Boy, NSFW Arsecunt, Cuntarse, gently caress-o
Race/Class: JRPG shop NPC? - 14 hours sleeping, 2 hours eating, 1 hour exploring, 7 hours screm.

Skills: Providing rend-tinnitus from 1-inch screms. Flight, but only if there's nobody to screm at to carry him.

Likes: The shower, but only to screm until warm drops of water are provided.
Cardboard tubes, for ripping and tearing and squeezing through.
Carrots, for ripping and tearing and turning face orange.
Weetbix, for ripping and tearing and oh my god have you seen how much mess a weetbix and an excited budgie make.
Anything green. If it's green, why isn't it inside him already? Why you have green stuff, it can't be yours because it's his.
Dislikes:Grapes. Cherries. Women. Children. Anything that makes noise before 11am.
Abso-loving-lutely terrified of:Oreos.
Pros: Has so far survived in a house with an emergency cat intake for 3 months. Is warm. Does basic pedicures.
Cons: Wants to kiss / eat parts of the cat, depending on angle of approach. Unable to speak english at this point, however very insistent upon desired thing.
Fun Fact: Is a girl, but is actually a boy because he's blue, duh.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I am loving all these birbs. A role call was such a great idea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s been both weird and comforting to share grief with a bird. He still calls for her at breakfast and bedtime, then begs, and makes new quiet chirps throughout the day. He also makes her sounds a lot, which is not something he did before - but that could just be him doing audio processing in the downtime without sounds. He’s also been much needier, but how can I mind that?

RoboRodent posted:

I am loving all these birbs. A role call was such a great idea.

Same, thus.

Name: Alex, but mostly just bird or birb.

Race: Lineolated parakeet, or linnie.

Class: Level 3 lil’ buddy!

Likes: SAFFLOWER SEEDS, blueberries, banana-flavoured pellets, anything that crunches, the refrigerator, chewing on sleeves

Dislikes: everything if he suspects you have safflower seeds on you and are holding out

Inherently suspicious of: anyone not us, the humidifier

Hobbies: grinding his beak when he’s comfortable, flying in a ring around his territory (the office), preening his feathers, sitting on your shoulder, licking everything and anything, bumping his beak to yours, headbutting your cheek to show affection, preening your feathers, picking up empty soda cans to hear them drop, generalized destruction.

Pros: Headbutts your cheek to show affection!! Very sweet, sociable little birb, doesn’t usually make a lot of noise, hangs upside down and wiggles during bath time, is gentle in showing annoyance (grunt, lick, gentle nip, harder nip, etc), really loves nothing more than just being with you in the same room, eats mostly the same foods I do, extremely cheap upkeep.

Cons: I can’t really think of one. Most of the issues people have with birds we just don’t have with him. He’s honestly a wonderful, bright little guy. If I had to pick, I’d say that I wouldn’t be comfortable having just one, at least not without a similar sized bird friend of a friendly species, and that they have enormous poops for birds their size. Like, it’s pretty surprising, sometimes.

Special skills: one of the smallest birds to exhibit ‘hallmark’ parrot behaviours, like intelligence, mimicry, eating with his feets, etc. Growing up on a farm, I’ve always clicked my tongue at animals, and he’s picked this up and uses it as a human contact call, and occasional query to other birds.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 29, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

He’s precious as heck :unsmith:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

little_firebird posted:

Pigeons, you say? I have two!

My first was a Classic Old Frill (COF) and he was the sweetest bird I've ever had. Sadly he passed late last year, and very suddenly (which can happen with any bird species, so don't let that put you off!) My remaining two are rescued ferals, one of which was rescued as a chick so she got some handling in and is much more tolerable to my presence than my angry puffy boy.

The breeder I got my COF from is actually now working on breeding for emotional support temperaments and has a very involved hand-raising process. She'll ship to the continental US, and I definitely recommend you check her out!: The Ramsey Loft

General things I've noticed and/or know about pigeon care: A large dog crate with a flat perch will work just fine to house one as long as they get flight time. They're strict seed-eaters so if you have a local farm feed place, you can generally get a 50 lb bag of racing pigeon feed for ~$30 and that will last you a good while in an air-tight storage bin.

Pidges are very dusty birds, so be sure to take that into consideration. I have an air purifier running pretty much around the clock during winter since I shrinkwrap my windows for heating purposes.

That's the bare basics so if you have any other questions, I can do my best to answer. Otherwise, I know Dani at the Ramsey Loft has a ton of information on the tumblr that I linked and is very friendly!

Thank you for the input! I bookmarked the breeder, it's cool that they have a help line for pigeon questions. Also, do they need to have grit alongside the seed?

My dream pigeon is a Lahore pigeon just because of how gorgeous they are, but I'd like to start with something like a King because I've heard they're hardier/make better pets.

But seriously, pigeons have no right looking as pretty as Lahores are:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

He’s precious as heck :unsmith:

You'd better pick him soon, he looks ripe!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.audubon.org/news/cookies-honey-tangerines-manure-these-birds-have-some-strange-scents

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Interesting bird news:

There's a game I play with Sera where I tap his beak gently and say BOOP! Sometimes he doesn't wait for me and taps my finger first. Usually with his tongue. I can't play this with Ozzy but he watches me play with Sera so sometimes I'll hold my finger out a little distance away and say boop? And he either backs away nervously or lunges, depending on his current location and mood. I ask to come into his personal space, he says no, and I back off. This is how we operate.

Well, today after our shower I offered Ozzy a boop, and he tapped my finger, very gently. Not a bite, not even one of his hilariously gentle warning bites where he screams and cries and gently takes my flesh in his beak with hardly any pressure, just a tap with the tip of his beak. He touched me, on purpose, when I asked him to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

You'd better pick him soon, he looks ripe!

Ehehehehee

Neat; thanks for the share.

I smell my birb all the time; he eats enough fruit that he often just smells like honey. I stopped feeding him fenugreek sprouts because he really took on the odour, haha.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

He touched me, on purpose, when I asked him to.

:kimchi:

Also weren’t pidgins bred for things like pretty colors and stuff? I was under the impression that the reason they’re everywhere in urban areas was that they were popular pets or such at some time

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

Interesting bird news:

There's a game I play with Sera where I tap his beak gently and say BOOP! Sometimes he doesn't wait for me and taps my finger first. Usually with his tongue. I can't play this with Ozzy but he watches me play with Sera so sometimes I'll hold my finger out a little distance away and say boop? And he either backs away nervously or lunges, depending on his current location and mood. I ask to come into his personal space, he says no, and I back off. This is how we operate.

Well, today after our shower I offered Ozzy a boop, and he tapped my finger, very gently. Not a bite, not even one of his hilariously gentle warning bites where he screams and cries and gently takes my flesh in his beak with hardly any pressure, just a tap with the tip of his beak. He touched me, on purpose, when I asked him to.

:love: :love: :love: :love:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

Interesting bird news:

This is lovely. One thing we try hard to do is allow our guy a fair amount of agency in determining his activities / location, and I think it makes for healthier birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mediaphage posted:

This is lovely. One thing we try hard to do is allow our guy a fair amount of agency in determining his activities / location, and I think it makes for healthier birds.

Yep, I have always done this with Auri. I will make clear the difference between optional step-ups and mandatory step-ups and I think it really helps with trust. I try to keep most step-ups to as optional.