Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SeXReX posted:

I love how YouTube doesn't think any videos under a certain number of vertical lines need to be able to get 60fps so every retro game needs to be upscaled and oftentimes that looks like doodoobutss

turn your monitor on lmao

stev posted:

And turn off motion smoothing you loving idiots. God.

who else's parents paid for an HDTV back in the day but didn't know they also had to buy HD service from the cable company and still said that 4:3 local channels stretched to widescreen looked like "night and day"

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Looper posted:

they walk like morons up close too, at least the falconer guys do

True, though I'm thinking of the guys at the wharf. They have this weird special Russian dance walk they do when they're far away, it changes completely when you're close to them though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cowcaster posted:

i think the major instigator of the backlash against it was totalbiscuit(?) who made it a stump issue that if a game, regardless of type, quality, or context, failed to produce 60 frames per second on a pc, it was a piece of poo poo

I found the truth in your statement.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's pretty standard level of detail (LOD) stuff every videogame does, some just implement it better than others

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

who else's parents paid for an HDTV back in the day but didn't know they also had to buy HD service from the cable company and still said that 4:3 local channels stretched to widescreen looked like "night and day"

not exactly this but extremely similar my uncle has had an hdtv since time immemorial but only switched from buying standard dvds to blu-rays within the past few years

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bonus points if it's all wired up with like, those brown composite cables from the 70's when they used to make wires brown for some reason.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cowcaster posted:

that's pretty standard level of detail (LOD) stuff every videogame does, some just implement it better than others

Darksouls gets credit for so many things that were super standard for years and I'm starting to wonder if that's just because it was the first game a huge number of people actually paid attention to because you couldn't just play it entirely checked out.

E. I have a blu ray player hooked up to a 36" crt via composite

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jail anyone who posts retro game screenshots in jpg or uses any scaling algorithm other than nearest neighbor

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Katty! posted:

30fps is fine on console games but if you're playing something at 60 and then immediately jump in to something that runs at 30 it's really obvious and jarring for a while - as stable as Death Stranding's framerate is, loading it up right after a round or two in Apex makes it look incredibly sluggish

I've never had a problem with playing The Witcher 3 at 60fps on PC and then playing BOTW at 30fps. If the fps is steady then I don't see much difference.

Now if the fps is janky or cratering due to the effects on screen. Like how Zelda OOT slows down when fighting Ganon when he gets hit with his own lightning. I notice that. Maybe it's my bad eyes, but my mind doesn't say, "this isn't good" until fps drops to about 15.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when i played through earthbound a few years back i used a hqxx filter because i thought the blobbiness fit the art style endearingly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To be honest I kinda miss games where you could tank the framerate by doing something so awesome your computer couldn't even handle it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Weedle posted:

jail anyone who posts retro game screenshots in jpg or uses any scaling algorithm other than nearest neighbor

Nearest neighbour but not being scaled at a whole integer...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeXReX posted:

Nearest neighbour but not being scaled at a whole integer...

oh yeah gently caress this too

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Weedle posted:

NTSC filters can get pretty fun though...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really the best filter is just throwing some very light opacity scanlines on there

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

To be honest I kinda miss games where you could tank the framerate by doing something so awesome your computer couldn't even handle it

[laughs in bullet heck]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

haveblue posted:

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack

From vicious giant insects who have once again come back

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I can't wait until theres a "crt filter" that's using Ray tracing to actually stimulate the inner workings of a crt in real time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dewgy posted:

Just remembered how Dark Souls 2 lowers the framerate and animation quality for enemies that are further away. Nothing quite like seeing a barbarian off in the distance walking like a moron animated by Ray Harryhausen.

Bloodborne does too! It's super noticeable in the larger chalice dungeons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I loving love insane LOD details, like Super Mario 64's model or how every NPC turns into a pixely JPEG when they're 30 feet away.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/MossAnimation/status/1222350281473740804

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The best LOD is the shrine model in BoTW not having a door so if you're going fast enough with one of those bullet time bounces you can just walk right in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

Bonus points if it's all wired up with like, those brown composite cables from the 70's when they used to make wires brown for some reason.

composite cables in the 70s :eyepop:

For me old school cables is co-ax all the way, a big thick co-ax that's really awkward to twist and try to screw into the TV.

And the truly old school is before the co-ax cable when you had the two little squiggly wires that each ended in tuning forks and you had to actually screw down a pin to hold them in place

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Am I crazy or should this totally be Dino and not Barney?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you ever seen a commercial for fruity pebbles?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

built-in Sick Slowmo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Ah, to be alive when the N-Bomb really WAS a gamer word..

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

For maximum accuracy it would be Baby Puss and I'm not sorry I knew the name without looking it up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cats should not eat cereal

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Posted this in another thread a while ago

*the adventure of little ralph*

raditts posted:

Tobal 2

I tried my damnedest as a young'un to learn Japanese because of that game, kids these days don't know how good they have it with their duolingos :corsair:

Did the real (PS2) Tales of Destiny 2 ever get translated? I was extremely disappointed when they skipped that one and released Tales of Eternia as TOD2 here.

Now these are what I'm looking for. Especially Little Ralph, that looks like a gem.

If anyone else has PSX Japanese sxclusives hat have English translations or can be played without knowing JP, let's hear them!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There were a whole bunch of Japanese music games that were nowhere near coming out in the US, like Pop’n Music and beatmania, but I don’t know if that’s really what you’re going for.

LSD: The Dream Emulator is pretty rad too.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dewgy posted:

There were a whole bunch of Japanese music games that were nowhere near coming out in the US, like Pop’n Music and beatmania, but I don’t know if that’s really what you’re going for.

LSD: The Dream Emulator is pretty rad too.

I'll take any and all recs friend. I missed a few from the previous post, so here's an updated list of what I have:

Beatmania
Pop'n Music
King's Field
Internal Section
Langrisser IV
Finger Flashing
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride
Policenauts
LSD: The Dream Emulator
Tobal 2
Rakugaki Showtime
The Adventures of Little Ralph

Always open to hear more!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Cowcaster posted:

not exactly this but extremely similar my uncle has had an hdtv since time immemorial but only switched from buying standard dvds to blu-rays within the past few years

I was at a party recently where I heard "I really like my new 4k tv. I'm thinking about buying a Bluray player to replace my DVD player to go with it"

haveblue posted:

My friend! Let me introduce you to Earth Defense Force!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh yeah and i think I saw there was a fan translation for Brave Prove done recently. never played it but would occasionally see screenshots in the past and think "that looks neat" before lamenting it wasn't in english

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There’s actually 8 pop’n music games for PSX, but if you want to pick only one, the Mickey Tunes version is really bizarre.

The Japanese version of UmJammer Lammy also has some cutscene changes too, and a really awesome jewel case/disc design.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

been thinking about kirbryu kazuma a lot lately

This is powerful and good :hai:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

been thinking about kirbryu kazuma a lot lately

:thatsrad: but where's Goro Majimeta

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 29, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
finished KR0, highly recommended, in this multi-part series of essays I will dive into KR0, FFXV, and the movie Southbound to explore the concept of spiritual americana and the

i'm undecided about which single player pc game to tackle next:
Blasphemous
Pathologic 2
Frostpunk
Indivisible
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

What's this? Seems rad