Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Hmm. there's less than a week left before Iowa, I gotta come up with some way to pull ahead. Some bold policy that will really grab headlines. People seem to like Bernie's plans to give them healthcare and jobs...

I've got it! The Washington Post fact checker is given the power to order executions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gotta hand it to Liz I don't think she could have tanked her campaign any harder or faster if she'd tried.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nate having endorsements in his model is hilarious. How'd Harris do buddy? Her endorsement point total is STILL higher than Warren's and Booker's is higher than Sanders.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
The Model cannot fail, it can only be failed. All Hail The Model.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/andrewneville/status/1222593791124819968

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So they basically took away Bernie's New Hampshire bounce. Well, we'll see what kind of bounce he gets after winning the first three contests.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
That really sums it up. These people are so petty, their political imaginations are so stunted and cruel, that that's the kind of of policy they think will excite people. Bernie Sanders announces a new policy, it's something that would have a huge impact in people's lives like nation rent control or a federal ban on right to work laws. One of these other freaks announces a new policy, it's making it a hate crime to call someone a corncob on Twitter.

Absolute depraved freaks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

anytime anyone talks about klobbmentum i can't help but think of this old meme

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Clickbait headline, Democrats already introduced legislation to do this in 2018.

It should be illegal to intentionally spread misinformation about polling places or locations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What this primary has revealed to me is the REAL reason the pundit class and establishment democrats hate Trump: he has better political instincts than they do.

What sealed it was that audio leaking of him saying he didn’t want Hillary to pick Bernie as VP. He knows what the average American wants to hear and he knows how much the average American despises politicians. (And I’m not just talking about the racism, but the populist messages Trump ran on)

So when I hear them all say “Bernie is just like Trump!” I have to laugh because it’s kind of a compliment, despite the obvious “Trump is actually bad and a liar, etc” thing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I read her plan and shocker it's a whole lot of nothing.

I think Bernie's plan to grind large tech conglomerates under our collective heel will be far more effective.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bernie Campaign Is Fortified by a Human Shield of Millennials

quote:

The age gap between the support bases of the two leading Democratic candidates is unprecedented in scale. According to a Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday, Bernie Sanders boasts the support of 53 percent of Democratic voters under 35 nationwide, while Joe Biden lays claim to just 3 percent. That poll’s margin of error is 3.4 percentage points — which means that the percentage of younger voters who support the Democratic Party’s current front-runner could, technically, round down to zero. In other national surveys, age polarization among Democratic primary voters tends to be a bit less severe. But in virtually all of them, Biden’s support among the young is historically low for a front-running candidate, while Sanders’s popularity with the contingent is exceptionally high.

It will be hard enough for Biden to mobilize younger voters after beating Sanders in a relatively friendly primary fight, free of conspicuous interference from Establishment forces. If Uncle Joe has to win millennial and Gen-Z hearts and minds — after riding to the nomination on the back of a wall-to-wall anti-Bernie ad blitz from Third Way and friends — his task may be impossible. Although Sanders’s 2016 backers did not sit out (or defect) during the general election in aberrantly high numbers, the age gap between Biden and Bernie backers this year is even larger than the one that prevailed between Clinton and the Vermont senator four years ago. One recent Emerson College poll found that only 53 percent of Sanders’s current supporters plan to vote for the Democratic nominee in November, no matter who that person turns out to be. There’s some reason to consider that survey an unreliable outlier. Previous surveys have suggested that “Bernie or Bust” is a very marginal tendency among Democratic primary voters. But disaffected younger voters don’t need to withhold their votes in principled protest to cost Democrats the election: If the Democratic nominee ends up looking like a walking, talking embodiment of Gen-Z’s political disempowerment, a critical mass of younger voters may simply allow life’s quotidian demands to derail their voting plans come Election Day.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/anyone-but-bernie-sanders-biden-age-gap-millennials-gen-z.html

Guess we have to nominate Sanders if we want to win.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Bernie Campaign Is Fortified by a Human Shield of Millennials]

*Protoss Zealot Voice* "My life for Bernie!"

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
defend bernie at all costs

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Bernie Campaign Is Fortified by a Human Shield of Millennials

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/anyone-but-bernie-sanders-biden-age-gap-millennials-gen-z.html

Guess we have to nominate Sanders if we want to win.

Most of the damage with a Trump presidency has already been done. While I'm careful to say 4 more years of Trump wouldn't suck (it would), I really think there's a strong case to be made that 4 more years of Trump would not be that much worse than a Biden administration both short-term and certainly long-term. Maybe Biden would close the border camps but he'd do jack poo poo to combat climate change, he wouldn't aggressively stack the courts, he has already committed to do nothing to address health care, and he's certainly going to do nothing to address vast income inequality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Has to be said. MSNBC isn't what it was after they kicked Olbermann. Sorry.

Nah, it was always bad. I understand the temptation to feel like maybe some aspects of past liberalism weren't completely awful, but they pretty much always were.

The thing many liberals, including myself from those years, misunderstood is that "intensity with which you attack Republicans" does not translate to "being left-wing."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

The thing many liberals, including myself from those years, misunderstood is that "intensity with which you attack Republicans" does not translate to "being left-wing."

Yep. I was also at the ripe old age of 16 in 2008, and only just awakening to politics as something to give a poo poo about. My parents watched MSNBC (and still do, well at least my mom who worships the ground Maddow walks on) so it became how I consumed politics too pretty much until I went away to university.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

If you weren’t posting ironic slurs and Maoism Third-Worldism on LF at 18, you have no heart. If you aren’t writing 30-tweet threads about Bernie bros at 30, you have no brain.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I admit I got took by it too but this is a really really bad headline/summary on CNBC's part

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1222601746767384577

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1222550231549726721

It's just too bad that Twitter's character limit meant she had to drop the "again".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FBS posted:

I admit I got took by it too but this is a really really bad headline/summary on CNBC's part

Yeah this law seems totally reasonable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1222601746767384577

TBF the way Warren describes the policy rollout in her tweets is also seemingly pretty misleading.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Delusional people.

https://twitter.com/scarlettrabe/status/1222563557390221313

Another one says thanks for reminding me Liz has plans and Bernie only has ideology. There's a loving bill for Medicare for All (which Warren and Harris supported at the time and both backtracked.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2020

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Mind_Taker posted:

Maybe Biden would close the border camps but he'd do jack poo poo to combat climate change, he wouldn't aggressively stack the courts, he has already committed to do nothing to address health care, and he's certainly going to do nothing to address vast income inequality.

Bidem will not close the camps. He might make moves to do it, but will cave like a cheap coal mine once the Republicans call him "weak on immigration". He will let the Republicans block all his court nominees and will destroy his own parts base to court Republicans with policy.

Basically a more timid obama administration. Followed by a competent facist in 2024.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
another TX poll shows the bernie bump but has trump mopping the floor in the general

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1222607970774798339?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1222608839587049473?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Considering Clinton got within 9 points and his approval rating is only +1 there those numbers don't seem like how it'd actually play out.

Except with Pete of course.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 29, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, it was always bad. I understand the temptation to feel like maybe some aspects of past liberalism weren't completely awful, but they pretty much always were.

One of the few things I remember vividly from 08 was when Hillary explained that she wasn't dropping out because someone might get Bobby Kennedied. Olbermann rightly excoriated her on this, so I'll always have a soft spot for that bloviating goof.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Good video on why Former Mayor Pete is bad. Probably nothing new to the posters of this thread, but it's all together and well presented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQIltD73qc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:hellyeah:

https://twitter.com/fshakir/status/1222608774965473281

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I still find it funny that Bernie has looked like an old man for the last 50 or so years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol the author just sounds so flabbergasted. Attacking him just raises his profile and gets him more money, what can Democrats do?!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

oxsnard posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these never berners jesus christ

https://twitter.com/DrJasonJohnson/status/1222569781024514050?s=20

Racist white people might oppose a thing that's good for POC, so let's just give those racists exactly what they (apparently?) want by not trying at all. :confused:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Gyges posted:

I still find it funny that Bernie has looked like an old man for the last 50 or so years.

He's always been ahead of his time

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

On the other hand...

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1222551208638001153?s=21

Not that we should read too much into any general election polls this early.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Bernie turning Texas blue may freak out the Democrats more than it does the Republicans.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Also it's not like Bernie would be the first Democrat to win the presidency without Texas.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1222550230094286848

:ironicat:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

zimbomonkey posted:

Also it's not like Bernie would be the first Democrat to win the presidency without Texas.

Yeah the last dem to win Texas was Carter lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

*Protoss Zealot Voice* "My life for Bernie!"

Bern for the Bern God!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

If elizabeth warren really cared about disinformation she would try to get rid of the telecommunications act of 1996. This is a situation where having more voices would help call out the bad ones instead of allowing the bad ones *cough* fox news *cough* to become huge and make daily distortions. It would also allow for more diverse voices. Maybe their might actually be a progressive channel so our olds wouldn't be crazier than shithouse rats.

Hey does anyone know the name of the documentary about a person's father that was radicalized by fox news? ive been meaning to watch it and the post-it I had it written on has vanished.