Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Sadly not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The game you're talking about sounds similar to something I've been thinking of. I played it on a demo disk around the same time a cousin was getting into MechWarrior 3 so 1999 at least. Isometric 2D turn based RPG, very Spiderweb adjacent but I remember the graphics being very piecemeal like they were ripped from different sources. In my head it almost looked like someone digitized clay models like they were really chunky and nondescript. I distinctly remember combat rolled in-game dice and the systems were very D&D adjacent where everything used funny dice like d4 through d20. Opening area took place in a desert town and supposedly the game was a demo title for an RPG creation toolkit.

It had a title like Sword of Dreams or something because the main character had a powerful attack like "Dream Eater" that rolled 5d20 and obliterated everything.

And a couple other random titles that flooded my memory as I typed this:

Apocalyptic XCOM: Also played in late 90s demo disc. Real-time tactical game, top down isometric like XCOM or Fallout Tactics but models were fully 3D. Earth is taken over by gross Cronenberg monsters and you're fighting AK armed cultists in the street amidst a backdrop of goo and flesh mounds. Very, very bloody game. Everything gibbed or exploded even when shot with a pistol.

Weird Indie RPG?: Played it about 10 years ago. I don't think it was released on a major platform, I distinctly remember the launcher linking directly to the dev's website. Top-down real time RPG sort of like a slower Dungeon Siege. An evil wizard petrifies everyone on an island and you have to defeat him. It had a talking crab, a boogeyman that was an invisible clown whose footprints were visible in the dark, and other quirky pseudo-fantasy yet modern elements. "Chunky" 3D graphics sort of like Torchlight or that Fate game from the same designers but more amateur. Pretty sure this was a one man game but it was pretty lengthy and impressive. Christian overtones but not a "religious" game, it just contained a lot of references to "the one God" and such.

WW2 RPG?: This one came on one of those Walmart compilations of like 10 Eastern European developed RPGs from the early aughts because in a post-BioWare world those were the only people developing 2D PC RPGs. Very similar in visuals to Divine Divinity or one of those Larian adjacent games. Top down, isometric 2D and I think the models were digitized 3D models. All I remember was starting in a prison and you have to escape and you could convince the guard to look the other way or stealth kill him. May have had an XCOM like combat system. It was not Silent Storm but the 2D equivalent of Silent Storm.

If anyone remembers the name of these Eastern European compilation packs (it was definitely RPG focused) it would help me a great bit remember a lot of the cheap janky poo poo I played in my high school years. The only game I distinctly remember in this vein is Gorky but I don't think it was included on this compilation.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 23, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

al-azad posted:

Apocalyptic XCOM: Also played in late 90s demo disc. Real-time tactical game, top down isometric like XCOM or Fallout Tactics but models were fully 3D. Earth is taken over by gross Cronenberg monsters and you're fighting AK armed cultists in the street amidst a backdrop of goo and flesh mounds. Very, very bloody game. Everything gibbed or exploded even when shot with a pistol.

Abomination: The Nemesis Project?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

WW2 RPG?: This one came on one of those Walmart compilations of like 10 Eastern European developed RPGs from the early aughts because in a post-BioWare world those were the only people developing 2D PC RPGs. Very similar in visuals to Divine Divinity or one of those Larian adjacent games. Top down, isometric 2D and I think the models were digitized 3D models. All I remember was starting in a prison and you have to escape and you could convince the guard to look the other way or stealth kill him. May have had an XCOM like combat system. It was not Silent Storm but the 2D equivalent of Silent Storm.

One of the Commandos games? Failing that there's an obscure eastern european WW2 RPG called Another War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_War

Edit: There's also a game called Weird War, though I don't know that it was released in English

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/weird-war-the-unknown-episode-of-world-war-ii/z01843

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 23, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a game called Hexplore that comes up whenever I search "1998 isometric computer rpg roll dice" and there's a desert town area that's vaguely similar to my description but it's not the right game. It is the right time period, I got a new computer Christmas 1998 and basically bought every single PC magazine with a demo disc from January 1999 to when we got cable internet around 2001.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Abomination: The Nemesis Project?

That's the one. What a gross game, I love it.

Hakkesshu posted:

One of the Commandos games? Failing that there's an obscure eastern european WW2 RPG called Another War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_War

Edit: There's also a game called Weird War, though I don't know that it was released in English

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/weird-war-the-unknown-episode-of-world-war-ii/z01843

It's probably Another War or I conflated the two together but that's it.

It's fun that you can draw a direct line from Gorky 17 and these weird Polish RPGs to Disco Elysium.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The game I was looking for is RuneSword 2 which I asked for in this very thread 10 years ago to this day :D

FlailSnail, does RuneSword 2 look familiar?

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
It does not. I'm kind of wondering if my game was never fully released. Thanks though.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This isn't a game in itself, but it was an article or something about a game with a level editor that discussed how you could abuse moving blocks to launch a block out of the map bounds. It was accompanied with an illustration of this, with the escaping block drawn with a gleeful face and shouting "I'M FREEEEE!" That stuck in my head and everything I try to google just comes up with the old Windows maze screensaver.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

packetmantis posted:

This isn't a game in itself, but it was an article or something about a game with a level editor that discussed how you could abuse moving blocks to launch a block out of the map bounds. It was accompanied with an illustration of this, with the escaping block drawn with a gleeful face and shouting "I'M FREEEEE!" That stuck in my head and everything I try to google just comes up with the old Windows maze screensaver.

That's Rise of the Triad. I think the map is called something like "This causes an error."

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9lhkvs3kZQ

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

packetmantis posted:

The I'm Free drawing is from the original Rise of the Triad, it's one of their moving block sectors escaping the bounds of the level.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I love you and this thread. :allears:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Help me remember a game on PSP. It was a variant of that old arcade game where you had to draw lines to cut out/paint parts of an area, except you played as a squad of mechanics boarding giant enemy airships with saws and blowtorches to cut them into pieces.

Another game, PC, Win98 era: a portal opens and fantasy armies with orcs and magic invade modern (Cold War) Earth and you get to fight them with tanks, machine guns and whatnot, and later research the fantasy stuff to make hybrid weapons like enchanted tank shells. Definitely a turn-based strategy.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Help me remember a game on PS. It was a variant of that old arcade game where you had to draw lines to cut out/paint parts of an area, except you played as a squad of mechanics boarding giant enemy airships with saws and blowtorches to cut them into pieces.

Another game, PC, Win98 era: a portal opens and fantasy armies with orcs and magic invade modern (Cold War) Earth and you get to fight them with tanks, machine guns and whatnot, and later research the fantasy stuff to make hybrid weapons like enchanted tank shells. Definitely a turn-based strategy.

The first one is probably Patchwork Heroes

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Pierzak posted:

Help me remember a game on PS. It was a variant of that old arcade game where you had to draw lines to cut out/paint parts of an area, except you played as a squad of mechanics boarding giant enemy airships with saws and blowtorches to cut them into pieces.
Going to guess this by narrowing down the year and searching for Qix variants on Mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/qix-neo

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pierzak posted:

Pretty sure this one is Spellcross

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

The first one is probably Patchwork Heroes

Gnoman posted:

Pretty sure this one is Spellcross

Both were what I was looking for, thank you!
(also gently caress, how does one misspell PSP)

The Joe Man posted:

Going to guess this by narrowing down the year and searching for Qix variants on Mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/qix-neo
It'd help if I remembered Qix' title, but you probably doomed a few hours of my future time anyway.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm trying to remember the name of a DOS game from the late 80's/early 90's. It was isometric like old XCOM and you were building a skyscraper, I think, but you didn't do any building directly. Instead you issued orders to little robots who would grab raw materials, bring them over to where you wanted to build, plunk them down, etc. I remember very little else about it other than the UI had a soothing blue/gray/yellow color scheme.

The robots reminded me of the old Nintendo R.O.B.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is second hand, so bear with me.

The significant other claims we played a game together wherein we created a character with blue hair, killed some ghosts or spirits, then wandered through a confusing modern city. Apparently our destination was a hotel where we met some lady who proceeded to perform oral sex on our character.

I don't recall this at all, but I thought maybe she was thinking of Omikron since it contains an awkward sex scene in what could be a hotel. That's definitely not it. Apparently it's a much more modern 3d game.

I'm so confused, not least because of the oral sex scene which seems so specific and unusual that I probably would remember it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Secret World starts that way if you pick the Dragon faction.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Secret World starts that way if you pick the Dragon faction.

Oooooh.

Huh. No wonder I forgot about it, I always thought the dragons were kinda boring.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I was gonna guess Second Life

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One was a game for pc in the 90s that was educational. It showed kids all kinds of jobs they could do with minigames.

One job was to sort recycling waste that was going along a conveyor into the right bins. There were others but the one that sticks in my mind is that if you take the military route you end up with your direct superior bleeding out on the floor begging you to push a big red button and fire a missile.

Another was for pc in that 3D but it's actually 2D style. You go through a maze in a hovering vehicle. The view is from inside the cockpit and there's a red and blue hovering vehicle who compete in some way I can't remember.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Azza Bamboo posted:

Another was for pc in that 3D but it's actually 2D style. You go through a maze in a hovering vehicle. The view is from inside the cockpit and there's a red and blue hovering vehicle who compete in some way I can't remember.

This might be Hover!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I just watched a video about this supposed “evil farming game” that seems to be haunting Reddit, but I’m not asking about that. It made me think of a game I played a while ago and I’m either not remembering it right or the search terms are way too broad for Google. Here’s what I can remember:

- It was a horror game, and I’m pretty sure it was Flash, or at least browser based. I played it sometime in the mid-late 00s.
- Graphics were very simple and monochrome, though I’m pretty sure the colors changed as things went to hell. Background was always black, graphics would be white or yellow or red depending on what was happening. Other colors may have been involved.
- This part is sketchy, but I think you were managing a family’s sanity while they were snowed in at a small cabin? It was all in one small location and I know sanity was a big factor, and I remember it either being set in the past or at least there were no modern conveniences.
- Very effective sound design, I think. I recall a jump scare with a very loud digitized scream.
- The gameplay, if I remember correctly, was basically just a set of tasks you had to keep doing on a schedule, but things got worse as you kept playing.
- There was a killer? You tried to hide from them or maybe you were them. Might have been a monster.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

UFO Aftermath?

https://lparchive.org/UFO-Aftermath/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No, it was Abomination.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yes! Thank you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a DOS game from the late 80's/early 90's. It was isometric like old XCOM and you were building a skyscraper, I think, but you didn't do any building directly. Instead you issued orders to little robots who would grab raw materials, bring them over to where you wanted to build, plunk them down, etc. I remember very little else about it other than the UI had a soothing blue/gray/yellow color scheme.

The robots reminded me of the old Nintendo R.O.B.

I have no idea what game this is, but I want to play it now.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

No, it was Abomination.

Ah poo poo, I completely missed you got an answer. My bad dude.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

baka kaba posted:

I was gonna guess Second Life

Hah, yes that or some David Cage game would have been my guesses except I haven't touched either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok thread, try this one...

Timeframe: around when the first MDK was released
Platform: PC
Genre: Action platforming?

Details: This was a demo my friend had, and it reminded me a LOT of Batman Forever for consoles, as it was side scrolling, there were 2 or 3 different heights in each area that you could jump up and down to (likely whenever there was an opening or ladder, can't remember), and everything looked digitized. I believe there was gunplay. Maybe it was in a sewer, but I remember that it was either that, or it was just grimy in general.

The first time this really popped back into my head was 2012, when Xcom Enemy Unknown was released; that faux 3D in the Xcom base (or rather, 3D on a 2D plane with a fixed perspective) brought back my memory of this game in a strong way.

This isn't a case of 'oh my god, this has been bugging me forever!', but rather something that I'll think about from time to time and that doesn't really bug me, but every time I do think about it, I always tell myself 'I'll ask goons what it was'. Today's the day I do.

The game's demo might've actually been on the same disc that MDK was, I don't know.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Details: This was a demo my friend had, and it reminded me a LOT of Batman Forever for consoles, as it was side scrolling, there were 2 or 3 different heights in each area that you could jump up and down to (likely whenever there was an opening or ladder, can't remember), and everything looked digitized. I believe there was gunplay. Maybe it was in a sewer, but I remember that it was either that, or it was just grimy in general.

The first time this really popped back into my head was 2012, when Xcom Enemy Unknown was released; that faux 3D in the Xcom base (or rather, 3D on a 2D plane with a fixed perspective) brought back my memory of this game in a strong way.

This isn't a case of 'oh my god, this has been bugging me forever!', but rather something that I'll think about from time to time and that doesn't really bug me, but every time I do think about it, I always tell myself 'I'll ask goons what it was'. Today's the day I do.

The game's demo might've actually been on the same disc that MDK was, I don't know.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/hunter-hunted

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hunter/Hunted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Hunted_(video_game) maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, that's 100% it. Thanks, goons!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Hunter/Hunted loving ruled and I still have the dumbass soundtrack on my computer.

But holy poo poo the "YOU'RE LOOKING AT MY SCREEN" "NO I'M NOT" arguments with my brother were the loving worst. Co-op was a blast, though.

Also, they changed how the pistol works between the demo and the full release, which made me super mad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I found the architecture Sierra used for that and...I think it was a lode runner clone and then thexder, interesting. A real relic.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I’m trying to figure out the name of a primitive FPS a la wolfenstein 3D (ie. 2.5d, everything is on the same plane). I think it was fantasy themed, you fired colorful projectiles but you didn’t see your weapon/hand. There were I think at least some rpg lite mechanics, at the very least some kind of shop system where you could by weapons/upgrades, maybe even keys and other things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ConfusedPig posted:

I’m trying to figure out the name of a primitive FPS a la wolfenstein 3D (ie. 2.5d, everything is on the same plane). I think it was fantasy themed, you fired colorful projectiles but you didn’t see your weapon/hand. There were I think at least some rpg lite mechanics, at the very least some kind of shop system where you could by weapons/upgrades, maybe even keys and other things.

Ken's Labyrinth, maybe?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Ken's Labyrinth, maybe?

Holy poo poo, looks like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I was thinking Catacomb 3-D but you can see your hand in that one.