Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seems like there's nothing new here and no actual information showing anything has changed, just one faction telling the Hill that they will be Victorious and Everything's Turning Up Trump!

this clickbait poo poo is the Hill's primary business model, laundering the talking points of one side into a provocative lede while adding zilch to the conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
drat, dersh is massaging the truth so hard i hope it kept its underwear on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

reporting that Murkowski is a no and Romney didn't give a comment

i think its too early for mitch to count his eggs. its 2 days of this(counting today) and i am sure more stuff with bolton will happen and parnas is doing his weird side quest that involves graham.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I tune back in just in time to hear Philbin say "it's all a political charade."

:ironicat:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well than congrats, they gently caress themselves more. there isn't a victory for them if thats what they think it is.
It's probably the best strategy for the Republicans - no way calling Bolton doesn't put pressure on them to call others, and then you've got pressure to vote for removal. Probably the better vote to have of the two.

I'm still really suspicious though, this seems like a real step back considering the number of Senators hedging their statements.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

eke out posted:

seems like there's nothing new here and no actual information showing anything has changed, just one faction telling the Hill that they will be Victorious and Everything's Turning Up Trump!

this clickbait poo poo is the Hill's primary business model, laundering the talking points of one side into a provocative lede while adding zilch to the conversation

the hill sucks, but the no comments are telling. This is also where you'd expect to see insider trading at PredictIt, odds of bolton testifying dropped 30 cents over the past 24 hours and now at 28%

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/6268/Will-John-Bolton-testify-publicly-in-a-Senate-trial-by-Mar-31

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't the House managers sorta concede the point that their investigation didn't include certain witnesses and they didn't exhaust all avenues. They could give reasons for that or not. Doesn't it end up begging the question of what the Senate is supposed to be judging here?

I mean, why do I honestly care whether the House's investigation was 100% perfect? There are witnesses who have yet to testify who could answer open questions. Concede the point that the investigation isn't complete yet and then allow the Senate to finish the job by calling the witness. It just feels like continuing to bicker over whether they should have pursued subpoenas through court is a total red herring.

e - sekulow giving me the reason now. If House does a bad job and you let it slide, they'll do worse in the future. Got it.

Tunafish fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 29, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tibalt posted:

It's probably the best strategy for the Republicans - no way calling Bolton doesn't put pressure on them to call others, and then you've got pressure to vote for removal. Probably the better vote to have of the two.

I'm still really suspicious though, this seems like a real step back considering the number of Senators hedging their statements.

i dont know what will happen. either way boltons shits gonna come out before November.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its too early for mitch to count his eggs. its 2 days of this(counting today) and i am sure more stuff with bolton will happen and parnas is doing his weird side quest that involves graham.

i can't help but think that parnas is roaming the halls of congress clinking bottles together and calling graham's name

none of these turds are this cool but, i wish

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

the hill sucks, but the no comments are telling. This is also where you'd expect to see insider trading at PredictIt, odds of bolton testifying dropped 30 cents over the past 24 hours and now at 28%

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/6268/Will-John-Bolton-testify-publicly-in-a-Senate-trial-by-Mar-31

haha there should be some internet maxim that if you have to cite a sudden swing on predictit as support for your position, you have implicitly lost the argument already

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
There is around 70% public support for witnesses. The GOP should make it a Bolton for Biden trade to at least spread the blame around. No witnesses followed by the Bolton book in March is a double whammy.

If Trump tries to block Bolton’s testimony, at least the GOP could have said they tried. Just going for an outright no is an exceptionally bad move.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they want Biden why not ask for Trump to testify and get purjury?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

There is around 70% public support for witnesses. The GOP should make it a Bolton for Biden trade to at least spread the blame around. No witnesses followed by the Bolton book in March is a double whammy.

If Trump tries to block Bolton’s testimony, at least the GOP could have said they tried. Just going for an outright no is an exceptionally bad move.

the bolton book will probably leaked early or some poo poo.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Ugh, WH counsel: How dare they ask for witnesses in the Senate after we prevented witnesses from testifying in the House :smug:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Really wish the response to "With regard to the issue of impeachment delaying the Senate, isn't it true that the depositions in the Clinton impeachment took only a day, and that as Chief Justice Roberts is presiding he can resolve any issues of privilege quickly" had just been "Yes." and then left the lectern.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DarkHorse posted:

Really wish the response to "With regard to the issue of impeachment delaying the Senate, isn't it true that the depositions in the Clinton impeachment took only a day, and that as Chief Justice Roberts is presiding he can resolve any issues of privilege quickly" had just been "Yes." and then left the lectern.
He's making a good argument though.

Also lol that the House managers saying that we can't wait for the courts to decide on subpoenas because it would take too long and the House has the inherent power to issue subpoenas, and the WH lawyers responding by arguing that the Senate shouldn't call witnesses because it would take too long and it's the House that has that power anyway.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I can answer questions 2, 4, and 6 for you, Mitt:

No
Yes, weren't you paying attention
Holy poo poo, this is irrelevant to the current inquiry

I think it's pretty interesting that Mitt is showing his cards here, so that both sides have time to prepare answers (even though only one side will be making sense).

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Am I completely off base, or does this idiot keep referring to Nixon vs US, rather than what he probably actually means, which is US vs Nixon?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

You cannot subpoena anyone who has ever talked with a president, apparently.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TyrantWD posted:

There is no reason for the Democrats to make a Bolton for Biden trade. The Democrats have the high ground here. They either vote for no witnesses and then get buried for it or vote for Bolton and take their chances individually. Politically, the safer option would be to vote for witnesses and call for Bolton. Even if he ends up as bad as it will likely be for Trump you have given yourself enough cover that no one can fault you for the judgement.

The worst move is to do no witnesses and then rush to not convict Trump. Every Senator up for re-election will be hosed for it. As I said before Trump used his political capital during the Kavanaugh confirmation. If they push this through you are looking at least 4 Senate seats lost for the GOP, depending on what comes out after even more.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Ted Cruz to the House managers: please read my Obama fan fiction and offer comment

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gatts posted:

If they want Biden why not ask for Trump to testify and get purjury?

Nothing anyone with the last name 'Biden' has done is material to the trial - it's bullshit whataboutist nonsense meant as a distraction that shouldn't be entertained seriously.

Plus, Trump perjuring himself doesn't matter unless it makes removal more likely. I personally don't think it moves the needle enough because everyone knows he lies constantly already, so that's just baked into the current situation.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Yes let's call in Mitt Romney's hypothetical son to testify.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I shall give Adam Schiff more time on the floor - Genius brain take from Cruz.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nice backfire, Graham.

"There are legitimate ways to have an investigation."

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Did the Parnas thing not happen?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

refleks posted:

I shall give Adam Schiff more time on the floor - Genius brain take from Cruz.
And Graham, bizarrely enough. Surely he must've foreseen that Schiff's answer would be "yes, if Obama had done the same thing it would have been wrong and grounds for impeachment as well."

edit:

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I want to believe that Graham offering Schiff the opportunity to present a sincere non-partisan case for Trump's removal was prompted by worries about what Parnas has to say/is saying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

not yet. maybe tonight.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not yet. maybe tonight.

Yeah 7-8 PM is when the bombs start to go off. We just got some early fireworks before the session started today.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

Yeah 7-8 PM is when the bombs start to go off. We just got some early fireworks before the session started today.

i hope so. i hope its not him just marching around the senate because news.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

And Graham, bizarrely enough. Surely he must've foreseen that Schiff's answer would be "yes, if Obama had done the same thing it would have been wrong and grounds for impeachment as well."

edit:
I want to believe that Graham offering Schiff the opportunity to present a sincere non-partisan case for Trump's removal was prompted by worries about what Parnas has to say/is saying.

I'm planning on calling and thanking Cruz for his question, tbh (that's one of the ones I did hear while driving around today). I suspect (because all Republicans seem to understand is projection) that Cruz (and maybe Graham) really did expect Schiff to be flustered, to say "Obama would never do that" or something.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sombrerotron posted:

edit:

There’s been a lot of times I think some GOP rep or Senator has tried that move and was shocked the answer was saying it would be wrong and something should be done instead of circling the wagons to protect a corrupt leader.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

They expect Democrats to operate the way they do: eviscerating their opponents for things while excusing their "team" for the same thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hope so. i hope its not him just marching around the senate because news.

He's roaming the Senate halls to find and punch Jacob Wohl right in the goddamned mouth.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

zonohedron posted:

I'm planning on calling and thanking Cruz for his question, tbh (that's one of the ones I did hear while driving around today). I suspect (because all Republicans seem to understand is projection) that Cruz (and maybe Graham) really did expect Schiff to be flustered, to say "Obama would never do that" or something.

His main point was riding along in his question which was that Trump had a good reason for requiring the investigation. AKA the Bidens are the real problem here and the Dems just won't admit it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair Bill Clinton.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

He's roaming the Senate halls to find and punch Jacob Wohl right in the goddamned mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNyHark4xk

now i am just picturing grifter version of this.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
The democrat house members were all elected.

Clearly, they are exhibiting the will of the people.

It would be unfair for the Senate to deny the will of the people.

Anything the house wants to do is the will of the people. Even if it's illegal or unconstitutional. If it were not, they would not have been elected.

QED A vote to acquit nullifies the house elections and overrides the will of the people. Acquittal is undemocratic.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

So the argument is that only the House has subpoena power, therefore a committee of the House does not have subpoena power??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kloaked00 posted:

So the argument is that only the House has subpoena power, therefore a committee of the House does not have subpoena power??

They didn't write RE: Impeachment on them, so they don't count.