Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

My favorite detailing is always done on some mid-90s Toyota Super White, it responds SO WELL to a cut and polish. It's always worth it!

I was kind of blown away when I found out my 2005 Vibe has single stage Super White. Had no idea single stage was still a thing and not left in the 90's. Explains why it came back so well after a good compound and polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

FINALLY got the plates for Brokeback. A comedy of errors delayed that significantly, but the owner of the dealership told me to call her today. She met me at the lot to hand over the tags (normally not open Sat, but she lives nearby). Now I just need to either get a front plate mount or just say gently caress it and screw the plate to the bumper.

They've really upped their game on their car selection - they mostly specialize in sub-$3k cars, but they had a $13.5k Camaro SS, an $8000 Accord, a supercharged Jaguar, etc on the lot. Still plenty of low budget stuff - they have a $2000 Tahoe, for example.

If my Brokeback didn't have existing body damage (creased, even), I'd do this to it. The pearl white paint is in amazing shape, it just needs a cut/polish to get rid of all the scratches in the clearcoat. It still shines really nicely, but there's no way to repair the body damage without a full repaint, supposedly. I'm told between the color and the pearl, it's drat near impossible to blend. It's still good practice for babby's first Subie.

I think I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a proper Legacy GT wagon. I love the body style of the 3rd gen Legacy/2nd gen Outback, but I want the handling that you get with the Legacy (I also want the available turbo motor).

It's understandable, 99.9% of people throwing JDM lights on a car don't understand the differences.

Self-tap that poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We didn't get a turbo Legacy GT again until the 4th gen (05-09), and the wagon only for one year. US production was somewhere between 600 and 1500 iirc. If you want a turbo wagon it's way easier to find an 05-09 Outback XT, and some were made with manuals.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wrar posted:

We didn't get a turbo Legacy GT again until the 4th gen (05-09), and the wagon only for one year. US production was somewhere between 600 and 1500 iirc. If you want a turbo wagon it's way easier to find an 05-09 Outback XT, and some were made with manuals.

Or an 04-08 FXT manual. I might even know someone selling one

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Changed the spark plugs on my brother's 2011 Versa (which has an awful intake design, where a bunch of stuff has to be removed to get to the plugs) and before the afterglow of accomplishment could wear off, the drivers door handle came off in my hand. It's too late to pull the panel off, so we get to spend another day working on this car later this week.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

GOD IS BED posted:

Changed the spark plugs on my brother's 2011 Versa (which has an awful intake design, where a bunch of stuff has to be removed to get to the plugs) and before the afterglow of accomplishment could wear off, the drivers door handle came off in my hand. It's too late to pull the panel off, so we get to spend another day working on this car later this week.

Had to look this one up thinking "There must be a Dorman part" and sure enough there is.

Doesn't look bad, not body colored right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

If my Brokeback didn't have existing body damage (creased, even), I'd do this to it. The pearl white paint is in amazing shape, it just needs a cut/polish to get rid of all the scratches in the clearcoat. It still shines really nicely, but there's no way to repair the body damage without a full repaint, supposedly. I'm told between the color and the pearl, it's drat near impossible to blend. It's still good practice for babby's first Subie.

Mine's in good shape - planning on having a basic clay bar and polish done, just because.

quote:

I think I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a proper Legacy GT wagon. I love the body style of the 3rd gen Legacy/2nd gen Outback, but I want the handling that you get with the Legacy (I also want the available turbo motor).

Good luck. I looked around a bit and didn't find much in the way of the GTs. Why they didn't put the turbo in the Outback that gen I'll never know. Guess Marketing said it didn't fit the demographics. I suppose I could step up to a 3rd-gen.
What annoys me is looking around for a Forester XT, and noting how many people just click options on FB Marketplace without actually knowing what they're clicking. Half the XTs aren't. Ditto for the Outback XT, actually.

Could be fun to put the Legacy wagon struts and control arms on the OB, like some folks do on XC70s and Audi Allroads.

edit:

GOD IS BED posted:

There should be some sort of punishment-fits-the-crime penalty for designing a car with impossible spark plugs. And flimsy door handles for that matter (I'm looking at you, Toyota, and your '90s/'00s interior handles, and '80s Mazda pot-metal exterior handles.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 28, 2020

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Working on my new firewall. Scalloped strips in chromoly silicon bronze TIGed to my chassis then the gaps will be filled with titanium sheet. Lighter than a solid steel firewall, more protection than a aluminum wall, and removable unlike a solid wall.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy poo poo he's alive.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

Had to look this one up thinking "There must be a Dorman part" and sure enough there is.

Doesn't look bad, not body colored right?

It is body colored, but fortunately, nothing seemed broken, just fell out of the door. We hope. Found a video online that shows how to fix the issue, and the handle looked the same. Knowing this car, it will be something we can't see inside that will be broken and we'll have to go back to the junkyard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tehk posted:

Working on my new firewall. Scalloped strips in chromoly silicon bronze TIGed to my chassis then the gaps will be filled with titanium sheet. Lighter than a solid steel firewall, more protection than a aluminum wall, and removable unlike a solid wall.

Oh, yeah, that’s the stuff.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

New Reid cased transmission and engine came. 2500hp capable dart based on a lsx. 1/2 studs, big mains, billet center counter weight crank and billet rods. Solid roller for 9000+rpm. Gonna make the rotary and F series crowd jealous Transmission is a dump valve setup which should help with spooling the turbo with a more useful converter.

tehk fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 29, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

^this guy fucks

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh god drat!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I didn't understand at least 1/3 of that but it looks pretty badass.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good god drat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Goddamn. What a sexy motor. It's instantly clear that's a high quality kit.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
That input shaft :dong:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

OEM HID swap (complete housings), because I got sick of the lovely headlights these got in the US market. Unfortunately from RHD land, so I need to open up the housings and paint a small portion of the reflector bowl flat black to kill the RHD uptick - until then I'm going to aim them very low. Right now they're aimed way too high in general, so it's parked until I can dig out an 8mm wrench for the adjusters. The passenger side parking/turn combo light crapped itself when I installed the housings, so I get to pull everything back apart to replace that bulb. :sigh: At least it's only 3 bolts, but the ballast hanging off of the bottom of the housing makes it a lot harder to get them in/out.

Also ran across that missing tow hook cover on eBay - ordered. I thought a piece of the bumper was broken off, but nope, it's just a cover that likes to fall off.

The housings came with a type of 1157 that I haven't seen before - I may throw those back in just because I have them handy, but I've never seen a white-tipped incandescent before. Made by Koito. The other bulbs in the housing appear to be original (all German-made Osram). One of the headlights is starting to color shift slightly toward purple, so I need to budget for a set of new bulbs sometime soon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 29, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Went playing on the beach for the long weekend, so had to do something bout the tonne of sand and salt stuck up under the car, and it was still 36 deg (c) when i got home so I ended up on my back under the car with the hose.

Its probably the cleanest the underside of the cars been since i bought it, but I ended up looking like the swamp thing. I was washing pippi shells out of the bash plates!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Changed the oil and filter on my new to me BX. Drained the old oil before realising two things: One, it's impossible to reach from above due to the intake and almost inaccessible from below due to the placement of the AC compressor. The remaining gap is barely wide enough to get one hand in.

And two, judging by how rusty it was, the PO probably took one look at the available space and thought "nah".

Ended up gorilla gluing a strap wrench to the loving thing, nothing else could get it to shift. It's like a rule that the first oil change on a car I buy is a ballache.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Grakkus posted:

Changed the oil and filter on my new to me BX. Drained the old oil before realising two things: One, it's impossible to reach from above due to the intake and almost inaccessible from below due to the placement of the AC compressor. The remaining gap is barely wide enough to get one hand in.

And two, judging by how rusty it was, the PO probably took one look at the available space and thought "nah".

Ended up gorilla gluing a strap wrench to the loving thing, nothing else could get it to shift. It's like a rule that the first oil change on a car I buy is a ballache.

That's a bit annoying.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Today I have been getting ready to cut a big hole in the side of this for a door:

The green patch is where I have carefully removed about 60 rivets to get the ambulance cross off the side as it is in the way

In the photo above the front window has been removed and there is a piece of plywood bolted over the hole

All the knackered interior trim is now removed and without the bit of plywood it looks like this from the inside:

The vertical strut on the left of this photo is coming out so that I can get a 24" wide door in (The gap between the struts is only 20" which I have decided isn't wide enough as with the doorframe it would only leave an 18" opening for me to get through).
Tomorrow I need to go buy some mild steel box section so I can cut the big horizontal bit of steel that is about 1/4 of the way up and weld/bolt/rivet a nice solid frame in place.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, that's a big ol' neat thing!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
holy poo poo i want to see and hear about that

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I need to know wtf I am looking at here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

Rover FC101 stuff

Start a thread you gently caress!

Chunjee posted:

I need to know wtf I am looking at here.

see the quote above.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

What are you making it into?

cursedshitbox posted:

Start a thread you gently caress!

Also this.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Goonimog goontank

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty sure he had a thread at one point, it just fell into the archives.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I had a project thread and it got archived (I got distracted by the purchase of a “professionally converted” motor home)

I should start a new thread.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

car status: shiny

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Grakkus posted:

Citroen?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Grakkus posted:

I feel your pain, I think I posted it before but my MK2 Golf requires an endcap wrench on a swivel that has to be put on the filter ahead of time from above then feed an extension between the 2 power steering lines from underneath to free if someone overtightened it (Which it was when I bought it), then once it's loose you have to pull the AC line back a bit further than you are comfortable with to actually fit it out and if you're not careful you will mush the radiator fins. It also comes out the top and points down so you can't even get a good grip on it to reinstall and you can't pre-fill it as you have to turn it sideways to get it in the gap. They clearly designed it to be easy to change if you don't have AC or PS but mine has both. German Engineering at its finest.

As for what I did lately, I rebuilt my radio in my Volvo with one from the junkyard and changed every bulb I could find in the car so now I can actually see the controls at night, I've been putting it off since the fake wood in a 97 960 is basically unobtainium if I crack it, I can't even find a replacement cupholder for the thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Been making some progress on the box. Mostly glued bottom part:

Mostly glued top part:

Final test fit before I glue the top and bottom together:

Inside:

First time doing major epoxy stuff, it's sort of fun. This thing is going to be so loving sturdy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Old out, gotta cram the new one in

So I had time to put the new starter in. By the time I was done and tried to fire it up the battery was pretty flat and wouldn't crank the car. After a charge it still wouldn't so I figured I hosed something up and/or the starter was not the issue. So having a drivable truck I said gently caress it and walked away from it. I tried it again this morning and still no start but I was recording this time to show you guys and get some advice. Well I uploaded the video and typed up a long post and before I hit "post" i watched the video to make sure it was clear what was happening and I swore I heard the engine start to crank. So I went up stairs, gave it two tries and it fired up! Ran it up and down the block and it all seems to be back to normal. Since I have the intercooler only finger tight I think I'll toss in new plugs tomorrow as well.

Then it's time to clean the gently caress out of it and get it up for sale.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New strikers for the soft top on the S2000. These are the hard top strikers which are a different design and allegedly reduce wind noise. Big difference in closing the top now. The new striker cups are smaller than the originals so it makes it more fiddly to get the pins to line up and I have to pull manually a little bit to get the top to seat, but when closed it seems way tighter than before.

New on the left, old on the right. You can see the wear on the original.

And these random bits of tape were rolling around in the header panel trim. They were making rattling sounds and they all fell out when I took the trim off to install the strikers. My only guess is someone was trying to use them as cushions or shims?

Edit: drove it to work this morning and it’s a solid 95% reduction in wind noise. A+ would strike again

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 31, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today I sold the FXT so the SLO RICE plate is back on a Honda. WHERE GOD INTENDED!

And then took the boy out for pho in the antique. It’s amazing how small this car is compared to literally anything modern. We got plenty of looks and sneers as we pulled away and drove through town. People aren’t prepared for the sound of a carbed and basically straight-piped rotary

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They are tiny. They also weigh almost nothing compared to the vast majority of modern cars, even “small” ones. Which is why they can get away with only 100 hp and not be a hazard. I look forward to driving mine again, hopefully this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Who the hell sneers at an RX-7?