Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I didn't. In fact, I thought the ball-dude (Gaston?) said he was their teacher when they were young, so he'd have seen both of them.
I think both Leo and the Deserter corrobrate seeing both Claires at the same time as well (Leo when they were in school together, the Deserter back before they were the Union bosses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Regarding this game and therapeutic purposes, I want to say that being able to see both how unhinged Half-Light is, while also being really close to several of my own thoughts is one of the motivations I needed to start looking into therapy for PTSD.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Edgar and Evart are the same person wearing a set of eyeglasses that makes it look like he has a lazy eye? And that’s why nobody ever sees them both at the same time?

No the deserter basically says Evart is an idiot. Edgar is the one that got a degree from a university is supposed to be very intelligent and is really running the show.

It’s a shame we don’t get to meet him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish you could buy back things from the pawn shop. I accidentally sold a side quest item and I don't want to go back to my old save because there is a passed 28% check that happened since I saved.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

twistedmentat posted:

I wish you could buy back things from the pawn shop. I accidentally sold a side quest item and I don't want to go back to my old save because there is a passed 28% check that happened since I saved.

Just savescum that check if you want to keep it? :shrug:

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Veryslightlymad posted:

Regarding this game and therapeutic purposes, I want to say that being able to see both how unhinged Half-Light is, while also being really close to several of my own thoughts is one of the motivations I needed to start looking into therapy for PTSD.

Shivers and Half-Light were not what I was expecting when I went in for the Physical build. They both ruled.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having finished two playthroughs, I'm thinking of now starting an rear end in a top hat/fascist run but....I don't think I have the courage to be mean in this game. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really wish I'd grabbed Derealization early on. Would easily have been three or four skill points / forgotten thoughts ahead of where I am now if I'd done it day 1.

I suppose it doesn't really matter that much though. I think I might do another run, anyway, so I'm gonna grab it early.

chaosapiant posted:

Having finished two playthroughs, I'm thinking of now starting an rear end in a top hat/fascist run but....I don't think I have the courage to be mean in this game. :(

I don't think I can bring myself to do it, but from what I've heard being a fascist involves a lot of pretending you aren't a fascist.

I think I might do an ultralib/hustler run for my rear end in a top hat run. No more sorry cop for me!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

number one pta fan posted:

Shivers and Half-Light were not what I was expecting when I went in for the Physical build. They both ruled.

I suspect almost every skill feels pretty true for someone. I did a high yellow and blue run for my first game, and Conceptualization and Reaction Speed were really close to my own thoughts.

Then I did a Red/purple centric run and Half-Light was uncomfortably close to home.

Edit
Conceptualization is basically poo poo posting: the stat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bold Robot posted:

Just savescum that check if you want to keep it? :shrug:

I save scummed once and it felt like I had kicked a puppy so no.

I'll just be more careful when selling off all the postcards.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

No the deserter basically says Evart is an idiot. Edgar is the one that got a degree from a university is supposed to be very intelligent and is really running the show.

It’s a shame we don’t get to meet him.

i don’t think the point of view of the deserter is terribly reliable. Evarte seems super capable, so much that he predicts just about everything thats happening, and is able to manipulate it to his own ends. I dunno if that’s a reference to historical materialism, but he seems to be able to predict Joyce’s actions before she makes them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cpt_Obvious posted:

i don’t think the point of view of the deserter is terribly reliable. Evarte seems super capable, so much that he predicts just about everything thats happening, and is able to manipulate it to his own ends. I dunno if that’s a reference to historical materialism, but he seems to be able to predict Joyce’s actions before she makes them.

We never talk to Evrart. It's Edgar the whole time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

I suspect almost every skill feels pretty true for someone. I did a high yellow and blue run for my first game, and Conceptualization and Reaction Speed were really close to my own thoughts.

Then I did a Red/purple centric run and Half-Light was uncomfortably close to home.

Edit
Conceptualization is basically poo poo posting: the stat.

Encyclopedia is the one that happens to me. Just some random bit of trivia that pops up in my brain about something that I am then compelled to tell people about. It is never useful.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Conceptualization, Interfacing and Inland Empire were my favorites, with Electrochemistry hitting too close to home sometimes.

I can't overlook the Lizard Brain either.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Conceptualization, Interfacing and Inland Empire were my favorites, with Electrochemistry hitting too close to home sometimes.

I can't overlook the Lizard Brain either.

I loved the fact that the voice of the lizard brain is also Harry's own, as though that is the dominant thought pattern after the rest have been scoured by his mind-wiping bender

Really, I wish there was more voice acting for the various internal voices, but I realize that would have cost a fortune.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Also the one technical flaw the game has is inconsistent VA volumes. Which is especially odd considering what audio geeks the development team had to have been to explain the methlab lib raver kid interactions.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Dick posted:

Also the one technical flaw the game has is inconsistent VA volumes. Which is especially odd considering what audio geeks the development team had to have been to explain the methlab lib raver kid interactions.

at least half the voice actors are just podcasters the devs liked so I wouldn't be surprised if the rest were just the devs friends using lovely mics from Walmart or whatever

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chaosapiant posted:

Cosplay grown up Cuno. Little Cuno is your infallible conscious guiding you. There you go.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lockback posted:

Cosplay grown up Cuno. Little Cuno is your infallible conscious guiding you. There you go.

Well...we’ll see how it goes. Thinking of trying a dirtball cop and using the new Hardcore setting.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
So I was gifted this and I'm at the last area and I'm about to become the most unpopular poster in this thread. I don't think this game is very good. It's like a demo of the dialogue system which I don't think is very special. Instead of skills giving you new options to reply with they interject during dialogue. It's just a change in what words go where. Conversations are still basically exhaust the dialogue tree. Maybe you'll make a skill check slightly harder once and while if you say too much or the wrong thing but that's pretty trivial when exhausting dialogue also has the incentive of giving you the most xp. The dialogue itself also isn't anything special. For a game that's supposed to have such a deep take on politics it seemed to me to have only a base level understanding on what that actually means and any political statements are treated more as a punchline than having any actual impact.

For that matter not much seemed to have an impact on how things played out, I felt pretty railroaded throughout the whole thing. The skill system doesn't help with that and the lack of combat actually hurts in that regard. I wanted to play a guy who does a lot of drugs but never put a single point in electrochemistry because the game heavily encourages you to save your skill points until you need to retry a check and I don't think I ever came across a single electrochemistry check. My highest skill ended up being the cop one because that's the one I had to retry the most checks on. Most games could just say oh you put points into what you thought was cool instead of what's needed here, well you can fight your way through as a last resort but that obviously isn't an option if combat doesn't really exist.

It's good that they tried something different with rpg dialogue and with some tweaking to the system it'd work great, but as a whole it's just not a very good game. Pillars of eternity 2 has a similar conflict between systems of government, which I realize isn't the true focus of this game, but Pillars 2 does it much better and is also actually a full game (don't think I'm saying that it's the greatest game ever, it's not). This one has to be given some additional credit since it's an indy game but I'd still give it like a C grade overall.

Oh and one more thought I had while playing it: For a game with "disco" in it's title the music is not very disco and really pretty bad.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 30, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Out of curiosity, can you give an example of being railroaded?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Out of curiosity, can you give an example of being railroaded?

The whole main story line. I don't get the feeling that anything I've done has in any way impacted the investigation.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The whole main story line. I don't get the feeling that anything I've done has in any way impacted the investigation.

I’m not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can’t change who the murderer is? Or the result of the labor dispute?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

So I was gifted this and I'm at the last area and I'm about to become the most unpopular poster in this thread. I don't think this game is very good. It's like a demo of the dialogue system which I don't think is very special. Instead of skills giving you new options to reply with they interject during dialogue. It's just a change in what words go where. Conversations are still basically exhaust the dialogue tree. Maybe you'll make a skill check slightly harder once and while if you say too much or the wrong thing but that's pretty trivial when exhausting dialogue also has the incentive of giving you the most xp. The dialogue itself also isn't anything special. For a game that's supposed to have such a deep take on politics it seemed to me to have only a base level understanding on what that actually means and any political statements are treated more as a punchline than having any actual impact.

For that matter not much seemed to have an impact on how things played out, I felt pretty railroaded throughout the whole thing. The skill system doesn't help with that and the lack of combat actually hurts in that regard. I wanted to play a guy who does a lot of drugs but never put a single point in electrochemistry because the game heavily encourages you to save your skill points until you need to retry a check and I don't think I ever came across a single electrochemistry check. My highest skill ended up being the cop one because that's the one I had to retry the most checks on. Most games could just say oh you put points into what you thought was cool instead of what's needed here, well you can fight your way through as a last resort but that obviously isn't an option if combat doesn't really exist.

It's good that they tried something different with rpg dialogue and with some tweaking to the system it'd work great, but as a whole it's just not a very good game. Pillars of eternity 2 has a similar conflict between systems of government, which I realize isn't the true focus of this game, but Pillars 2 does it much better and is also actually a full game (don't think I'm saying that it's the greatest game ever, it's not). This one has to be given some additional credit since it's an indy game but I'd still give it like a C grade overall.

Oh and one more thought I had while playing it: For a game with "disco" in it's title the music is not very disco and really pretty bad.

extremely obvious bait post lmao

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I’m not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can’t change who the murderer is? Or the result of the labor dispute?

As far as I can tell the labor dispute is one of the few things you can directly change. I mean like the chain of events in the investigation. You just do what the game tells you to do and the chain of events plays itself out. I'm having trouble thinking of a better way to describe it but it felt more like I was reading a book about a murder investigation than actually conducting one myself.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

As far as I can tell the labor dispute is one of the few things you can directly change. I mean like the chain of events in the investigation. You just do what the game tells you to do and the chain of events plays itself out. I'm having trouble thinking of a better way to describe it but it felt more like I was reading a book about a murder investigation than actually conducting one myself.

The main plot is mutable in rather subtle ways. Yeah, you have to investigate certain evidence or talk to certain suspects or witnesses, but HOW you go about your path really can affect the outcome of events. I don’t want to spoil any of the plot because I don’t know exactly how far you are

And yes, it plays a lot like an interactive book, although I wouldn’t put that as a downside.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I guess I was expecting something like one of the hardie boys pulls you aside and says he thinks they should be dealing drugs but hardie doesn't like that so if you help get him out of the way he'll give you the real deal on what went down. Then you have the option of keeping up with your questions without the outcome being obvious or doing it the dirty way that has stated results.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think the game should be worse, posted the poster.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I guess I was expecting something like one of the hardie boys pulls you aside and says he thinks they should be dealing drugs but hardie doesn't like that so if you help get him out of the way he'll give you the real deal on what went down. Then you have the option of keeping up with your questions without the outcome being obvious or doing it the dirty way that has stated results.

Sounds like you didn't like the moral grey areas. Was dealing "drugs" to feed starving strikers wrong? Was dealing drugs wrong at all? Is it worse when a pharmaceutical company does the same thing? Those are questions where the answer changes depending on who you ask. Hardy may see no problem with it, but Joyce obviously does. It's also impossible to separate their interests from their point of view. Does Joyce only view it as a horrible crime because it's screwing her business? Is Hardy only ok with it because it benefits himself and his friends? In the background, you have the people who are suffering from drug addiction like Cuno and his father.

By the way, there are locals who have issues with what the union is doing. Many of them have been terrorized by the union, for better or worse. There is also a major choice you have to make by the end of the game about how you handle a major player in the drug trade.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
DE consists of Martinaise and Harry. You have gently caress all control over the former and a great deal of control over the latter. It's very much like real life in this regard.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I wanted to play a guy who does a lot of drugs but never put a single point in electrochemistry because the game heavily encourages you to save your skill points until you need to retry a check and I don't think I ever came across a single electrochemistry check. My highest skill ended up being the cop one because that's the one I had to retry the most checks on.

The vast majority of the skill checks are hidden, which is the point. You build your character and how you perceive the world changes based on these hidden checks. So by not building your character in the direction you wanted to play you locked yourself out of the chunks of the game that are for that kind of character.

I think you might think that (like PoE) passing the skill checks is how you progress? In general its not. Failed skill checks unfold the game as much as succeeding and don't funnel you towards a "good" or "bad" ending or anything. So if you wanted to play Jeff Spicoli, investigator, you probably should have grown your character in that direction instead of waiting for the game to present you with options which make no sense for the guy you actually played.

I'm not saying the game is perfect but I think you probably thought this was something entirely different than what it was, which is cool but not really the game's fault.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Electrochemistry also has the minor effect of making drugs have more charges when you acquire them. But I only know that from devblog posts.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mr. Dick posted:

DE consists of Martinaise and Harry. You have gently caress all control over the former and a great deal of control over the latter. It's very much like real life in this regard.

Yeah, this sums it up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have been building towards quests I guess recently. Oh to open that door I need to increase pain threshold? Okay lets put a point into that next time i level up. Okay to ask this person about that I need Conceptualization, so next point in there.

Also i have more than enough clothes now I can get bonuses to make something that was a 42% chance into a 74% chance or something like that.

I am going to be upset I cannot paint the wall with the fuel, because as I said, i accidentally sold it as i said.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The music not being disco is the only point I can agree with. Disco music is terrible though so that isn’t a bad thing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

If you are an rear end in a top hat and a fascist, you will see Kim in absolutely stunning form, calling you out on your instability and unprofessionalism while still making the best out of this clusterfuck of a murder investigation. He is truly a saint.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Come to think of it, two of the majors bits of agency you can express on the world are detaining Ruby and Klaasje. Acts that lead pretty certainly lead directly or indirectly to the deaths of both women. Which is probably the game's way of dream logic telling you that had Dora stayed with Harry, it would probably have been a death sentence for her as well

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sounds like you didn't like the moral grey areas.

Nah just disappointed that was pretty much the only choice like that. I wouldn't even say it was much of a grey area I didn't talk to that lady again after telling her to gently caress off the first time I talked to her.

Lockback posted:

The vast majority of the skill checks are hidden, which is the point. You build your character and how you perceive the world changes based on these hidden checks. So by not building your character in the direction you wanted to play you locked yourself out of the chunks of the game that are for that kind of character.

I think you might think that (like PoE) passing the skill checks is how you progress? In general its not. Failed skill checks unfold the game as much as succeeding and don't funnel you towards a "good" or "bad" ending or anything. So if you wanted to play Jeff Spicoli, investigator, you probably should have grown your character in that direction instead of waiting for the game to present you with options which make no sense for the guy you actually played.

I'm not saying the game is perfect but I think you probably thought this was something entirely different than what it was, which is cool but not really the game's fault.

The game doesn't present itself like that at all though. There's constantly tips that say you can retry white skill checks. The map shows where checks you can re-do are. I get most of them during dialogue are hidden but I don't really care if encyclopedia interjects with more worthless facts or whatever compared to saving a point to retry a check and progress in the game. Are you supposed to just save scum a bunch? Passing skill checks is totally how you progress. There may be multiple possible skill checks you can choose between but you still need to pass one of them. Like when you need to find Ruby, unless the handful of guides I just double checked missed something, there's two skill checks to choose between, and you HAVE to pass one of them to progress in the game. The check before that (shivers) there isn't even an alternative to, you HAVE to pass it or the ways in won't even be clickable.

It's the opposite of games like PoE really where like I said if you don't have the skill check to pass an obstacle in dialogue you can fight or maybe steal or whatever to progress. The way I see the system the building of your character happens when you assign stats at the beginning and pick up thoughts along the way. Putting skill points in something during the game is for retrying checks.

Mr. Dick posted:

Come to think of it, two of the majors bits of agency you can express on the world are detaining Ruby and Klaasje. Acts that lead pretty certainly lead directly or indirectly to the deaths of both women. Which is probably the game's way of dream logic telling you that had Dora stayed with Harry, it would probably have been a death sentence for her as well

One of those you don't even get that option unless you... pass a skill check.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 30, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do the footprints always stay highlited?

I've been stuck for a bit, but i decided to point one point into a skill that reopened a question and Boom, that opened everything up. Also, thoughts, are they worth it? All the ones I've researched have just given me extra slots in the skills but reduced skills. That doesn't seem like much of a benefit.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm totally baffled at how it's even possible to misunderstand a game THAT much.

Explains why so many modern games lead you by the nose when devs have to deal with people like that.